Digital painting in PS - Page 14
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital painting in PS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Datameister. You're right about misshapen eyes. Spent too much time on the skin I overlooked the eyes! (pun unintended )

Here's my second face/skin tone study. Experimenting with a different brush this time. Pen pressure is off as this brush runs slow with it on, so I had to rely on the opacity slider. Not sure where this was going in the initial stages but I realized later on that it's good with a glazing technique (brushstroke layer on layer buildup). More painterly too than just relying on a hard round and a viewer's eyes blend the colors when seen from a distance.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Much, much better. I love the texture you've got going here. As much as I adore working with pressure sensitivity, I think turning it off actually improved this study. You have gotten a much more painterly effect than what many people create in Photoshop, especially in the eyes. However, I do feel like that texture doesn't really work on her lips--they appear chapped and dry. Also, the eyebrows are pretty much all one flat color.

So that brush tip in the image is what you used the whole time? What kinds of setting did you use?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup Datameister, I only used this uncustomized tip for this study. I'm exploring other PS brushes that I wouldn't instinctively pick right away, so I decided to see what works and doesn't quiet work with this particular brush. Obviously it's not optimal for detail painting but I went ahead anyway as part of the exercise.

I'll probably try something less toothy texturewise in my next study. Maybe something that gives a wash effect (like in watercolors or brushed ink).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tonight's test brush: the spatter brush. Reduced scaterring to aroung 66% from the default 486% (!). It's a juicy brush at high opacity - you'll have to try it to know what I mean. Like the dry brush in the previous test this is not exactly for detail painting. You could try and get some okay results, but it's a pain in the neck, back, and wrist This particular painting sketch is made the more challenging when the photo ref was in black in white. Touched up some tiny areas with a smudge blender but I left other areas as is to show where I had some difficulties blending.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister
    Whatever works for you. I personally don't like painting with Multiply that much (although I use it all the time when I'm doing other things in Photoshop); I find it too much of a hassle to switch back and forth between modes while painting, and I sometimes forget that I'm in Multiply. It's possible to achieve the exact same results with the Normal mode; it just takes a little practice.
    I was wondering about this. I find that brushes in multiply mode need to be used sparingly. A brush set at 20% opacity in multiply mode can go to pure black or oversaturate a color in fewer strokes than you would expect.

Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Exactly, figure2. If I practiced painting with Multiply enough, I'm sure I'd be able to use it to my advantage. But I feel like it's just not necessary (usually). Occasionally, I'll be painting and think Ooh, I could really use Multiply right now! and use it on a whim. It has its uses. But I don't use it frequently. I tend to forget that I'm in Multiply; then I'll try to blend colors through sampling, and I end up darkening rather blending.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is probably the single most useful thread here... Kudos to BUMSKEE!... Sorry, I'm kinda late on the fruits drawing... I'm just starting to paint in PS... We don't have apples in the house so here's my yellow pear (please be kind, I'm drawing with a mouse here)...

LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys,

This thread is great. Sorry just starting out, so i have been working on the first few tutorials. Here is my apple, for comment?

Thanks!
    Porro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry double post.

Last edited by Porro; January 26th, 2006 at 05:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Porro, if you are aiming for representational, then don't outline the apple, especially with a thick black line. Also pay closer attention to the actual shape of the apple, this one seems much too round and iconized, but that could be simply because of the outline. It has a nice gestural sense to it though.

ras

Don't hate, fornicate!

This Is What I Was Thinking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi ras,

Thanks for the advice and feedback. Yes i much like the more stylized approach than the still life approach. I hope i did not spoil this thread.

I'll definetly have another go, but look at lightning the lines. I think the pen pressure is a little too sensetitive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no worries, of course you didn't spoil the thread

Don't hate, fornicate!

This Is What I Was Thinking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd recommend starting with a more literal, realistic approach before you go for a more stylized look. This will allow you to gain a really complete understanding of Photoshop's tools and refine your workflow. Don't get ahead of yourself, you know what I mean?

For now, don't use any soft brushes. They have their uses, but not many of them. Stick with hard brushes for a while, with pressure sensitivity set to affect flow and opacity. If you see "checkered" areas where medium-opacity strokes have been partially layered, use the sampling and blending techniques discussed near the beginning of this thread.

This apple isn't a bad start, but it doesn't appear to have been worked on for more than fifteen or twenty minutes. Especially at first, you'll need more time than that in order to get a "finished" end product.

Good luck, and keep on postin'!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1st post for me and I'd just like to thank the maker and contributors of this thread! I looked for so long for this exact page. I got my wacom in december and tried tinkering with it in PS but it wasn't working out but just from the few tips on the 1st post I actually made something! Anyways, that was my 2 cents and THANK YOU SO MUCH for the info on how this whole process works.

Sorry I didn't post the steps but this is the end result from just using your tips...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! Welcome to the forums. This thread is pretty cool, indeed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Joining the party late, but saw this thread and thought I would participate. I do not paint very often and just wanted to say this is a very helpful thread! I found doing the exercise bumskee laid out along with forcing myself to relearn and use the keyboard hotkeys in tandem with painting made for a great experience. Sorry I don't have any WIP shots

Did this in about 45 min - 1 hour, had a lot of fun and boosted my confidence. Thanks again for the inspiration everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great thread.. ill do a fruit tomorrow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi people, newb here.

I read this whole thread then gave it a go. Very inspiring and I'm pretty pleased with my first results. I had trouble with controlling the blending in all directions with the gradients, and also the highlights and skin texture. I also spent quite a long time on this... I'm gunna have another go, to try and speed things up and raise the quality. Thanks to Bumskees tuition and Teigrobs efforts, very very helpful

Last edited by simplejack; March 25th, 2006 at 04:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice! Did you say that was your first try? Welcome to the club of fruit!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    daku, sweeet.

Main Loop, that would be sweet

simplejack, damn that's good for first try. hehe meh u gotta see my first digital painting... oh god that was shocking... keep it going, I think the apple is a little flat, but you should get there real quick, check idiot apathy's thread, some good infos.

Teigrob, how u doing tei? we should do some fruits ourselves huh? hehe..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We should. Bunch of slackers. Doin' good. Been really busy...busy with crummy sketches, naught to post. What about you dude? Haven't seen your thread pop up in awhile.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well I just had some crap to take care.. it's so hard to find time to sit and draw without distraction I guess.. ha! excuses excuses, yeah I know. I think I will do a fruit this weekend... *writes in the diary* good to hear you are doing good tei!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was inspired by the colours and style of bumskees orange... the skin is hard though! I think I might try and work through all the main fruits, before trying anything harder. I also tried the 'upsizing' technique with this one, I started with a 800x800 canvas and upped it to 2000x2000px later. Great method that one!

Last edited by simplejack; March 25th, 2006 at 04:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^Fantastic orange...

Hehe... "Fruit Club"....

LONG LIVE YOKO KANNO!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet orange jack! love the colors.

now i feel compelled to do one. :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

lemon

great texture on that end bit simplejack!

here's a lemon (no pun intended) with a small, sad confession, I had hoped to do a little more on this but.. ermm... it kind of dried out and went mouldy, not to mention sacrificing my G&T.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oranges are good.... people should give em a go... quite easy until the skin bit haha.... then uh-oh.. trouble time!

Pootle: lemons scare me after my orange attempt, capturing that damn texture accurately is tricky!

I'm trying a banana next, and so far it sucks major balls! Hope I can rescue it with the details :/ .........

"Learn as much as I can at whatever cost, then give it away for free and ask for nothing in return" - (me!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    simplejack: Wells, you're kidding, i went to school there; weird.

Someone is going to have to peel (or cut) something soon......or is that just me being pre-whatnot...?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, looking good! "Fruit club"! hehe.. yeah orange suck.. I don't think i could even attempt another.... oh the pain..

simplejack, it's looking sweet, I think it's a little too white for the highlights and obviously you held back when it comes to the rest of the whole thing. still very nice, and yes I read that method on one of the threads in cgtalk.com I think.

Pootle, orange and lemon are pretty much the same except for the colours I think. eeeee... keep the fruits rolling..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really great work evrybody, this is definitly THE beginners thread !!
    Kane702>> Yeah the anatomy is all off, but that wasn't the purpose of the
    study, and anyways i found this thing soo ugly now that it's some days old.
    bumskee>> haha yeah i agree with you on that, in fact i didn't even know what values are, some readings about color theories clarified all this.And i'm having some hard time right now doing the 2 first idiotapathy assignements .
    well, as i promised here is my fruits painting ! For my second try at dealing with colors, i choosed to paint a still life. 5 hours of work, but it really was worth it, since i learnt so much more than i expected. especially that i only used the hard-edged brush !.

as always your crits are welcome.

Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 83