Digital painting in PS - Page 13
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital painting in PS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How long has it taken people roughly to do there stuff?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whatever works for you. I personally don't like painting with Multiply that much (although I use it all the time when I'm doing other things in Photoshop); I find it too much of a hassle to switch back and forth between modes while painting, and I sometimes forget that I'm in Multiply. It's possible to achieve the exact same results with the Normal mode; it just takes a little practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New one. Im alot happier with this. I started from scratch and blended like the thread has said. Works alot better. Its not finished and the right side needs sorting , its abit of a mess hehe. But alot better. Thread has helped me alot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres another apple. i cheated a bit with the shading and made a new layer cuz i didnt wanna mess up the colors too much on the color layer...dont beat me with a soup ladel. ><

howd i do?

personally i think it could still use a tid bit more work, but im done working on it for now. i think the right side could use a bit more red and the top, but thats just me. :p

i appreciate any comments.

Last edited by Wargoul; January 16th, 2006 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sam-b: Yhea i think you have the right idea, although do you think that the anatomy is a little off? (Is the belly button too low?)

wargoul: Thanks for those tips! They seemed to work well for me. Yours apple looks like a big improvement formt the last one. Did you spend more time on it?

Here is my pear.

The Internet is my inspiration.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wargoul, as for shadows, I mean you can experiment, but if all things fail the simplest approach is to paint exactly what you see. I been saying this a lot, it's a simple process so think simple! if you want to know more about how the shadow casts check idiot apathy's thread in learning section.

sam-b, glad to hear it's helping out. Now as for your body, the colours aren't quite correct, he looks like he's made out of chocolate. hehe, the values aren't quite correct too. you can also check idiot apathy's thread into colours.

pix-uk, dude.. that's a BIG jump.. really love how you tackled that one. The values are holding up nicely and the colours are good, yeah it might need some details but it's looking very good so far. Very painterly. I would love to see this finished,

Kane702, looking good, you have lost a bit on the form, a little flat and monotone..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what makes it flat?

The Internet is my inspiration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wargoul, sweeet apple. Very nice and love the attention to details. it just showed up today by the way, something wrong the link maybe? it's all good now though.

Kane702, well it's the values...it's not quite giving off that realistic look or volume..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay, this may not be the best example of how to determine flatness, but its the first thing that came to my mind.

this is just a quick little glass orb thing i picked up from a tutorial. take a look at the one on the left. notice how although it has a glare and color change/shade it still looks a bit flat (or "not so round").

now look at the right, pretty much all i did was add an inner glow (well, actually its more of inner color) to give the orb that kinda feeling that makes it lift off the background a little bit.

im no expert, but what i would suggest trying is adding a bit more of your shade color around the edges. i had some problems with my second apple like that, so just work with it for a bit.

@Bumskee: thanks man! apparently photobucket went down for a while yesterday. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bumskee, when I was first reading this thread (back in the early days of my digital painting ), I thought you were full of it when you said it was a simple process. But over the last few months I've come to realize that it's so true. The process itself is extremely simple once you've got a little practice. That's one of the nice things about painting as opposed to other Photoshop tasks; you really don't need much more than the brush tool.

That's not to say painting is simple; far from it. But the process itself isn't complex.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahahaha , Datameister, really???

well esepcially with apples, we are tyring to get used to painting in photoshop first, so it's just about painting what you are seeing nothing more. Often people get caught up in all the fancy tools and texture of photoshop and lose the plot. As I still do from time to time, but everytime I feel so I just flatten the layers as to punish myself for thinking too smart and just paint with single intention.

Of course I wholesome agree with you that "painting" is very complex but our attitude and choice of tools should be simpler..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like this thread, just did a study of my own, since it's of an apple here we are:

off to zi studies, pheace.

ras

Don't hate, fornicate!

This Is What I Was Thinking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the rugged texture to this piece, rasdasa. Not so much the background; that looks very quickly done, and it has a Photoshopish appearance. But the apple almost looks like it was painted in a traditional medium, and it's nicely done. How did you achieve this textured look? Custom brushes, I'd assume? Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bumskee

pix-uk, dude.. that's a BIG jump.. really love how you tackled that one. The values are holding up nicely and the colours are good, yeah it might need some details but it's looking very good so far. Very painterly. I would love to see this finished,

Thanks I think its ALOT better to. I just looked at it closer. Wouldn't of done that was it not for constructive crits though. I'll get it finished when I can busy with alot of college work atm.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh btw bumskee, wheres idiot apathy's thread you mentioned. i couldnt find it.

anyway, i think ill do one more apple, then move onto other fruits and stlyes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wargoul, here it is
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53517

rasdasa, awsome apple, nice values, form and texture. Love the mix of roughs and details.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any one actually use the effects that come in photoshop. Ie the lighting things etc?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are talking about filters, NO! the idea is to paint as u see, learning to use other functions of photoshop should be kept outside of this thread. All we are mainly concerned here are brushes and layers mostly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok good. I haven't been using any. Will finish the apply tomorrow got day off! yay , Been at the g/f's all week so im back home now so I can put my tablet on big desk instead of my lap surrounded by teddies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe, filters. thats how i learned like, 65% of my photoshoppe. :p
    everyone's gotta start somewhere. i started with adobe photodeluxe home edition and the 5 filters it comes with. XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeap nothing wrong with filters except that they are abused and most of time looks utter crap, but what wargoul said, we all start somewhere and I had my fair share of filters including the infamous Lens flare. But again this thread is about layers and brushes in PS.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My philosophy on filters is pretty simple. If I'm concerned with getting a piece done quickly and with high quality, I will sometimes throw in a filter or two--but subtly, and only if necessary. If I have no deadline and I'm just doing a piece for the learning experience and the joy of it, I avoid using filters whenever possible. My reasoning is this: filters can occasionally help you achieve the end result more quickly, but it's best not to depend on them. I want to be able to paint anything I want without filters, and then only use filters when I'm short on time and they provide a more economical solution.

Many of the filters should be avoided altogether, though. The blur filters, the noise filter, and a few others have their uses. Even the dreaded lens flare can have its occasional uses, but you have to use radial blur to eliminate the artifacts. And it's often better to just paint by hand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you know how to use em though, filters can make some cool ass abstract brushes. XD

some time in the near future imma paint a self portrait with custom brushes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Datameister
    I like the rugged texture to this piece, rasdasa. Not so much the background; that looks very quickly done, and it has a Photoshopish appearance. But the apple almost looks like it was painted in a traditional medium, and it's nicely done. How did you achieve this textured look? Custom brushes, I'd assume? Keep up the good work!
    DMesiter, yup it's all pretty much custom brushes. Just subtlety, while forcing myself to work at a quick pace so as to keep fresh.
    And yes, the background is crappola *shrug*
    Thanks for the comments.

PIX-UK, I myself also stay away from filters. I like to really understand what's happening when I'm painting and don't really enjoy streamlining it. Filters are usefull when you have a tight deadline but don't use them as an escape-goat to avoid learning how a certain visual should be rendered.

ras

Don't hate, fornicate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay, heres my last apple...

im not 100% satisfied with this one. :/ i think the main problem was the colors of the actual apple were hard to pin point. i also messed up the shading a bit. -_-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Wargoul, your apple has got some good promise, especially around the upper area, but yeah the bottom is messed up. The shadow is sort of sporadic and uneven, maybe you just didn't pay as much attention to it, which is pretty much the same as I did, but it seems too light. Also, if you squint notice how much the bottom of the apple is glowing right beside the shadow, most likely that should be darker.

Here, I did a quick paintover for you to gauge. I apologize, but I didn't stick to keeping the texture, so the bottom is a little uneven, but if you quint your eyes you'll see how the apple seems to better lay on the plane. Of course I leave it to you to push this further, that left of the shadow could still be darkened or the core shadow and lower edge of the apple could still be darkened. It's up to you.

hope this helps.

ras

Don't hate, fornicate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, thats great man!

thanks for that. i think the problem was instead of making more of a shadow i made the color a tad darker but more intense. i guess im just afraid of losing the values. :p

hopefully ill get around to more painting today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Flesh tones anyone?

Done as a warmup, face anatomy and rendering exercise. From ref. Couple of hours in PS. Hard brush for the lay in. Low opacity hard and speckled brushes (set to pen pressure) for blending. Smudge blender just to smooth out the outer edges and for subtle blending tweeks in tight areas. Curves and color balance adjustments used to find the contrast/intensity.

Good job everyone. Keep those paintings coming!

Last edited by FlipMcgee; January 22nd, 2006 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay. I finally took the plunge on pressure sensitivity (opacity) and OMG it is great! (long overdue thanks Datameister)

Here is:

I think it looks a bit washed out and the purple is too much.

That was fun. ;-)

Keep up the good work people, there is so much to learn from in thread, thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, can't see the pics, Pootle.

IMO, there's no reason to buy a tablet if you're not going to use the pressure sensitivity. Through many hours of practice, it's technically possible to become proficient with a mouse. But pressure sensitivity...well, no mouse can replicate that, currently. So good job for venturing into the wonderful world of pressure sensitivity!

Hey, nice job, FlipMcgee, but the eyes are bothering me. The reflections and pupils should have harder edges, there should be shading on the whites, and the eyelashes look...strange. But this is quite nice overall. Very good job on picking colors.

Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 83