Digital painting in PS - Page 11
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital painting in PS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's right - bumskee was just explaining why he started it, not limiting it to me. *sigh* I really should do some more...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    datameister - thanks! I'll make a point of using your tips on the next one. . .unfortunately I painted this before I checked this thread again, oh well. Quick sketch, trying to get better at seeing color, didn't worry about texture:

/signature expired

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Having little to do at work, I painted this. First off, the proportions are off...but I just wanted to take a stab at it. No ref.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey teigrob; I've always enjoyed your animals! If I may, on this latest here: the colors you've chosen for the skintones are a little confusing, they are all nearly identical in value. It's clear that the orange is your highlight and the purple your shadows just by a warm cool sort of associations however with light comes value, without light less value. Try adding value when your shading something in the light and decreasing it when its in shadow. I think value is probably the most important part of readability in most pieces. You might try the first exercise in the Peer Project thread (see signature) if your a little confused. Hope I can help a little .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I'm about to go off on a trip for a week, so I've been trying to get in a bit of sketching done before I leave. Here's some of my progress so far, feel free to comment, and any advice would be great!

Started that yellow pear, at last. i'll try to tone down that comb thing i have there... oops hehe

working on some strawberries.

Also, I hope you guys don't mind if I stray into non-fruit territory... I was painting this for a speed painting thread on a different board and thought I'd post it here as well. Tips & suggestions would be great.

26 minutes total, i timed this one. only done blocking so far, as you can see.

See you all in a week

venomai / davedes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Mr. Apathy! (pardon me if I refuse to call you an idiot. ) I'll certainly check it out. It's why I'm practicing.....are you saying I should *actually* use ref?!? lol! What an idea! Teigrob! Go to your room and don't paint anything more unless it comes from ref! (This is self-face slapping, not sarcasm at you for your excellant idea.)

Last edited by Teigrob; December 30th, 2005 at 02:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huh what?! I didn't say anything about references; sounds like a guilty conscience. Man, I'm loving the trouble this nickname is getting into; constant fun.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yeah idiot apathy, hehe ur nick is kinda funnny dude. Tei, as idiot (giggles) suggested, his thread is very easy and informative.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How do you all go about this ?
    I just drew my apple in pencil, I'm about to scan it and what then ? I'm a bit confused about the resolution I have to use (if i want to print my work) and the size of the image. I'll probably have to go rather big (1500px*...) if I want to zoom a lot without losing all the details, right ?

And why use CMYK mode instead of RGB ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm starting to do the different exercises on the board. I know I need it.

Here's my not-a-fruit. I'm at work, so it's my coffee mug and with a mouse.

Oh yeah, I didn't notice till afterwards how screwed up some of it is. (i.e. right side and handle.) And I just now noticed that I forgot to seperate the lid from the mug.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to try bumskee's blending technique with an apple. If I understood it correctly, it's all a matter of doing the following :

* Create all the color blocks you need next to each other (opacity 70 or so)
    * Gradually blend the adjacent colors into each other by using a brush with 15 or so opacity, each time sampling the previously created color until you have a smooth transition (blend at 300~400% zoom). By the way, is there a specific reason you do this ? Why not just stay at 33 % or so while blending ?

However, the result is not exactly as I had hoped. The apple turned out to be rather 'flat' and I should have made smoother color-transitions in some places.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All right IA - can I call you IA? Or how about Id? PLEASE don't make me call you an idiot. Maybe Ap... Anyway..no, you didn't come out and say "Use ref, you painting moron" but it came out anyway. Hehe, I probably do have a guilty conscience...because I know that if I want to do something accuratelly, I should always, *always* use ref first. I'll noodle around on that girl for a bit today, using values, and then next time I'll paint something from ref. Thanks for the crit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel so sorry for anyone trying to do this stuff with a mouse. Wim, if you want to get serious about digital painting, buy a tablet. Once you own a tablet, you really don't have do much of any opacity adjustment. You just press harder or softer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Datameister - It was quite fun working on the apple with the Tool Presets in PS, but I suppose a tablet would make things easier indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Apathy
    Apathy - How did you create the realistic looking texture on the lemon ? I mean all the brown spots and stains, do you have to do that manually or does PS have preset textures ? I guess in this case, a Wacom would come in handy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Bumskee: Dude, your name is bumskee; can you really talk? Kidding kidding; not even sure what that means... at least your not afraid to call me an idiot, or is that honesty?

@Teigrob: You can call me whatever you'd like, hopefully I'll recognize it. References are good for learning somethings but I don't think you can learn it all from them; a good mix of references and perhaps drawing something from memory and then drawing something completely made up might be the best way to understand everything; I dunno. Careful around photo ref's too, the colors aren't so great.

@wim: Can't say I'm the best example for this sort of thing... but maybe I can give you an idea as where to go. Well, for this I started with the default round brush and made it just about as soft as it gets and tried to fill the lemon in with the proper shape but just as important the proper value and color. I don't think I went strictly off the reference on this, wanted to see what I could do. I don't use photoshop for painting but figured I'd give it a shot again; hopped in after the soft brush and made my own custom brush with a few squiggles and tweaks in the brush controls and slapped them on. Later I went back with a harder edged brush and cleaned up some edges and added a few details. If you look at a lemon... these bumps are way too small; I think getting the proper value and color is more important for readability but accuracy is as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my first

Ok so this has taken me about 5 hours, my first ever digital painting with my first graphics tablet. This is harder than it looks! not that I thought it was easy.

I am happy with it but not as happy as I wish to be, Im going to try another piece of fruit and try get a better result.

fruit = boring
    but fruit = good practice

I NEED PRACTICE

I enjoyed it though, thank you for this topic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay. Mr. Apathy it is. Oh, I know about mixing up what I do - but one should always start with ref before diving into deep waters. This one of Scully is with ref - and I agree, the colours are not exactly realistic. That's okay though - I wanted something high contrast both for startling colours and to really see the form I was painting. I made her left eye WAY bigger than the right and since I worked on layers (yay bumskee for encouraging that! ) I was able to resize...and it's still bigger. *sigh* Oh well, in my defense her left IS a tad bigger...isn't it?

image ref

line art with start of solids

refining

adding hair

last of the hair.

What do you guys think? Am I improving?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hah!! you crack me up bro. btw thanks for the crit on you know what, at you know when. *secret handshake here*

wim, if you want to print try and get close to the size @ 300 dpi. you can resample it up but it's better to start big and go smaller if you need to. But going up isn't crispier so it's best to work big. CMYK? well I been working on RGB despite what I been telling people here, hehe. It's coz printers use CMYK colour space, again it's just a precaution to avoid any dullness when you convert RGB to CMYK, you will notice a slight colour shift.

wim, when you zoom in, you can work on the details, or blend a specific section in details, mine were created at 800px by 800px meaning it's not really going to be crisp when printed. that's why I needed to zoom 200~300% to work on the details. But if I had like 2000px 2000px I wouldn't be zooming that much I think. Just try some more apples.. you will figure it out quick, it's just matter of getting used to working with photoshop.

For your apple, you obivously missed the values that's why it's flat. For that check Idiot Apathy thread about colours and values. Or in this case just stare at your apple, try and pick the right value/colour of your apple. I know it's much harder than me saying it but observing your apple might be the answer. The outline I use is just the way I do mine, I know for a fact Idiot apathy works without lines and he does an awsome job of it. So try and see the apple in values and colour, it's a simple process, observe and paint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tei, nice, I think you could do without the custom brushes, because it's one of those things that could side track you. You know what I mean right? Also the difference between those two brushes don't quite work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Teigrob
    ... This one of Scully is with ref - and I agree, the colours are not exactly realistic. ...
    Love the hair on your painting, it looks really nice. I think it could have used a bit of black on the right however (at eye level).
    I also found a bigger (and clearer) version of your reference photo, don't know if it's still useful -> http://images.art.com/images/product...0/10230644.jpg

bumskee - I know, I have the same problem when doing spheres and eggs in pencil. I'm going to do another apple or maybe a lemon in PS, and then it'll be back to basics for me Making sure I can draw properly before I begin to paint...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh I suppose, bumskee. But I was having such fun! Isn't that was this thread is all about? Experimenting...falling on one's face...trying again...getting laughed at...

"Do without custom brushes..." you mean just stick with the hard round? But that's so boring! I love what the angled brush does - the one I used for her hair. I also like the blotchy one for her face, although I agree, they don't exactly go together. Oh well. The point is, I'm USING COLOUR...which I thought would make you ecstatic! *sigh* I can't win...

wim - that's the same pic, actually. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Teigrob: Haha! Mr. Apathy, wait wait... how about Prof. Apathy? Very nice on the Scully pic! Now, is it me or did you take off a bit of her skull? You might like drawing the shape of the skull at first, something that was recommended to me. I should go and do some people from ref... but I don't feel like beating myself up right now. Anyways, Cheers! Oh and your right, its about fun and experimentation; and learning, and fruit.

@Bumskee: Yeah dude, *wink wink* *nudge nudge*, the rooster crows at midnight when the walls have ears.
    - - - - - - - -

Posted this in my sketchbook but I think I'll get some more help here; did a flower from ref, bumskee helped push me forward as I was doing it, go to my sketchbook for the whole story where I make fun of him...

Well, give me some advice! Oh, and its Painter IX... I know I know... but the concepts the same!
    Oh and the REF

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I said I should post and I finally did! I get really board doing fruit but I was failing at more complex things...i shouldnt start at the top.

This apple took me around one cartoon (30 min.) It looks good smaller and it looks better without the dots...

Thanks for your help

The Internet is my inspiration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last painting of 2k5 from me. Painted from life, over a couple of hours:

Initial composition sketch:

Mid w-i-p:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    crappit. . .can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong in the texture here. . .?

cool stuff, mcgee. . .just pay attention to edges, make sure that some are sharp and some are soft (haha i'm gonna shut up now I just saw mine again. . .) anyway the blurred edges of the glass kind of stand out, I guess cause it's the focal point. . .but awesome job man!

/signature expired

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, jkior, I like your tangerine, and textures too. I guess you can make it more interesting adding some bumps ( with a sharper edges) to the closest to a viewer surface. I think your image doesn't show a reflection light from the table, and there is some blending of mid tones and the darkest shade. I mean it should be stripe of a dark shade on the my right, and then some reflection.
    I like the bumpy not even surface of your fruit.
    Sveta

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've been lurking in this thread for a while but finally decided to paint some apple too. It was great fun .

Last edited by Farvus; January 4th, 2006 at 03:57 PM.

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Farvus, I'm very fond of your apple. I don't know what other artists will say, but i love this manner to paint and the result. Is it a mix of dry and wet watercolor? very beautiful. And nice volume too. I think it's flawless. Well, a little bit of a comment. The bottom shade, thie darkest stripe is kind of spoiling the form, it's too straght, should be more roundish, in my opinion. Otherwise, I love the apple.
    Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr. Apathy - lovely flower! Beautiful blending.

Kane702 - spend more time blending. It looks like it took 30 min. Good start!

Flip McGee - It still looks fuzzy and out of focus. Time to zoom in and spend some quality time being finiky.

jkior - I see nothing wrong with the texturing you did - looks great! Just like Sveta says - needs some reflected light.

Farvus - That looks like real watercolour! Are you sure you're in the right thread? Beautiful.

As per my new year's resolution, I aim to paint my sketches more. So, here's a sketch, painted using colour ref from an eighties blonde model. Crits?

Here's with the lines left in...

And without. I'm not sure which is better, or if they both suck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried a lemon, attempting to make it look more 'rounded' than my apple.

I think I have the same problem as FlipMcgee (although his work was obviously much more difficult). After coloring the object, it ends up rather blurry and there are no distinct lines in it anymore.
    I guess my blending technique is causing this, maybe using more brusque color transitions in certain areas might help. Anyone who could give me some advice about that ?

Teigrob - I prefer your latest without the lines, but that's just me of course

Last edited by wim; January 2nd, 2006 at 12:07 PM.

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 80