How about some lucid dreaming?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How about some lucid dreaming?

Well, I try to accomplish this technique for some months now, being very frustrated about my lack of effort. First of all, I'd like to tell what I mean with lucid dreaming: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Lucid_D...:_Introduction

In short, lucid dreaming means you know that you are dreaming. That gives you the ultimate powers over your dreams plus it makes you remember every detail of it like you were awake.

I'm sure most of you had a lucid dream one or more times, I did, too. I just want it to be somewhat more regular.

Here's the deal: I'll try to acclomplsh my goal of having lucid dreams on a regular basis and I'm trying to help everyone who wants to participate. The techniques are simple yet hard to learn. I have a very good set of instructions for it, unfortunately, it's in german: http://www.klarerblick.de/paranormal/klartraeumen.html

But the wikipedia-link has some very good advice, too!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh cool ... Any luck?

"As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have sleep paralysis.. more often than I would like to.. :<

yeah any luck? I have heard about this lucid dreaming..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lucid dreams sucks, I never have power over any lucid dream I have. Heck I didn't even have the power to wake up from them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I managed to control some of my dreams but that was quite a while ago. These days I sleep so little I dunno if my brain even starts going into dream mode. I;m sure it does, but I don't know it.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, as a kid I had control over my dreams, too. Now, I didn't have that much luck, yet. But I do remember more of my dreams, which is pretty cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ohhh so that's what those are! I remember the Vanilla Sky Movie where the main character controlled everything in his dream.

I thought of taking control of my dreams next time I have one, but the problem is that we never know when.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can make myself wake up frm dreams, but it involves prising my eyes open.... But never had any power over any of my dreams
    ~Lover~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lucid dreams RULE. I haven't had one in forever, but it's the most awesome experience ever.

A good technique is to periodically ask yourself during the day "am I dreaming". If you ever do become conscious while your dreaming, look at your own hands (if you can remember), WOW, big trip, the dream becomes incridibly vivid.

I've read that Alexander Grahm Bell would hold a ball bearing in his hand with a pan underneath as he was falling asleep. He would try to balance that fine line between awake/asleep, your brain waves slow down or something good for problem solving, then if he dozed off he'd drop the ball wake up and start over.

All this stuff is lots of fun, I used to be obsessed with books on Out of Body experiences, that's fun to. Although after having a child I value sleep more than astral travel.

Wait... is this a dream that I'm writing this?

c

chris steingart

ca sketchbook 2
    blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a guest every so often on Coast to Coast (www.coasttocoastam.com) That talks about lucid dreaming and its advantages. I am not sure of his name, but you can email George Noory or Art Bell and ask or you can request this guest from the website. This is an AM radio show that has varied subjects from terrorism to ufo abductions to bigfoot to even weirder topics. My claim to fame with that site is that I have had a painting on the front page for the Shadow People phenomena and Android had a chupacabra (his is still in the picture galleries there somewhere, mine was a couple of years older and has been rotated out but might be there somewhere).

----------------------------------------
    Sans la colère. Sans la haine. Et sans la pitié.

I always find myself instinctively arrayed on the side of the barbarian, against the powers of organized civilization. -- Robert E. Howard

Writer, illustrator and artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Successful lucid dreaming depends greatly on constant practice, and the absolute belief that you can do it.

To paraphrase someone very well-known, and whose name I can't for the life of me remember: whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't - you're probably right.

Even if you feel as though you're getting nowhere, keep going - it will happen.

Enjoy your travels!

M.

Neutiquam erro.........................

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandrake
    To paraphrase someone very well-known, and whose name I can't for the life of me remember: whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't - you're probably right.
    I think that was Henry Ford. "Those who believe they can do something and those who believe they can't, are both right."

And I know I can lucid dream, I've done it a few times... At will is another story entirely, but I BELIEVE! I had an insanely weird dream last night, where I was dreaming within a dream. I was trying to wake up, but couldn't... and when I finally did, I was still dreaming. First time that's ever happened to me... that I can remember.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm so thats what it is called...yeah ive had those, i try to control it by thinking like "oh i want a door to pop up" or something like that,...yet it doesnt work haha. But i am aware that i am dreaming, but the problem is that i always become too aware and i know im going to wake up. tough stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that so weird cause i had the most vivid dream last night. i knew i was dreaming but was all swept up in it and couldnt control it. it was very trippy

imma try this out tho. nothing to lose right

-=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah - Henry Ford - thanks, Octave13!

Neutiquam erro.........................

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's easiest to do lucid dreaming when you wake up in the middle of a dream and roll right over and go right back to sleep. I don't know, though, I used to do it a lot, but I found my dreams were never as fun once I start directing them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to be able to make myself have sleep paralysis, first time was a freaky experience, now it's actually kinda fun. I always wanted to have a lucid dream though.

Leave me something at my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltenigma
    I think it's easiest to do lucid dreaming when you wake up in the middle of a dream and roll right over and go right back to sleep. I don't know, though, I used to do it a lot, but I found my dreams were never as fun once I start directing them.
    Yeah, it's pretty nice when the dreams go all epic and wild and stuff, but sometimes it is good to have some time to do anatomy-studies, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i tried to perfect my lucid dreaming abilities last summer. after a few months i was having a lucid dream 3 times a week. try recording all your dreams when you wake up and telling your friends about them (heh even if theyre not listening/interested)
    however, i havent had a lucid dream in months because i was missing out on sleep thinking "man i wonder what ill dream up tonight"

Sketch.Team.DUO
    syrogen
    jMarkus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are times where I can jump and I start floating, and then I can "swim" in the sky. But, have you guys seen the movie "A Waking Life"? It's all about lucid dreaming, and the animation/colors in it are great too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens
    I had a strange experience with this.

I had a dream, a whole lot happened in it so i'm not gonna tell it but then at one point i left my girlfriends house, then some other stuff happened, and suddenly I realized I was dreaming.. But upon realizing, I thought I woke up. So there I though I was actually back awake, getting back in my girlfriends bed, going back to sleep in real life. And then suddenly my girlfriend goes to sit straight up in the bed. I see this and reach to her waist with my hand to ask her what's up. But then my hand goes through her nightgown, goes into this huge black hollow chest, and then she turns her head at me, which now looks old wrinkled and scarred. And I remember screaming very loud.

But even this scream was just only in my dream, cause my girlfriend said she didn't wake up from anything during the night. Even though I recall I was awake when I screamed, I was actually still dreaming.
    I read in a book about lucid dreaming that there is always defense against it. If you have a lucid dream, a part of you who doesn't want it (call it sub-consciousness, whatever) makes you think that you woke up to reestablish a normal dream-experience, and to make you loose your control over your dream. Happend to me several times, it's one of the things that frustrate me right now.

About your nightmare, well dreams can be a very frightening experience, too so there is still a bit of a positive aspect if you can't remember your dreams.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never knew what luciddreaming was... If these examples and definitions are reliable, I have lucid dreams almost every other night...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the dream i had the other night i think couldve gone into lucid if my brain didnt do that fake wake up call to put it back in controll. i was on the beach and i rember everything getting very real and thinking i wanted to see something cool. and a guy started sreaming tsunami tsunami and i looked up and the water, walk up to it and raising my arms and the water shot back (receeded at a VERY fast rate) andit looks insanely awesome. but then i realize tsunami + on the beach = not so fun so i made a hill and was on top to watch the destruction. but the water just rushed uver me and i remember waking up on the beach and and not having as much control as i did. it was like holding onto a very slippery bar of soap. i would change one thing but it would work as i had hope. like i was getting attacked by sharks so i wanted to get on land and i was. but the damn sharks just came on the lands crawing after me. so i wanted them to go away and they turned into bears. not what i hoped but at least not as freakish as land sharks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have lucid dreams occasionally. Flying dreams really rock when you know you can fly and are doing it for fun.

But just the other night I had a really uncomfortable one. I was lying in my own bed sleeping (in my dream). I woke up to see this huge blood stain on my ceiling that was changing patterns in a flashing or strobing kind of way. REALLY freaky. I said I've got to be dreaming and then I woke up only to see it was still there. After a bit I woke up for real. I just said to myself "Damn, that was F'ed up."

Peace, Love and Harmony... I could never get them all into bed at the same time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i swear i had a lucid dream last night after i read this post. it may have been the craziest dream i have ever had. it ended with me flying a jet and dropping a nuke on a beach and going threw a full range of emotions afterword. so wierd.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i jsut had an awesome talk with my dad about these kinds of dreams. i have them about once or twice a month, maybe more, but he says he has them about 4 times a week if not more. very suprisingly hes even looked into it. tho he said hes scared of completely letting go and "leaving his body" and going off into a dream cause hes read that other spirits can get in ya. he said he had a something like that happen where i couldnt get back in, but after reading the site a bit i think it could have been him slowly waking up in a sleep parayisis yet still dreaming and paniking. its been pretty fun trying this every night tho. it started to happen last night but when it did i scared me and i woke up but couldnt move. haha creeppy. but imma try again tonight

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Intern: Go ahead, let yourself fly! You are bound to this world regardless by the thin but unbreakable silver cord. Open your mind it's safe. The only unsafe places reside IN the mind, not out.

Peace, Love and Harmony... I could never get them all into bed at the same time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The problem I have with dreaming is that I occasionally switch into another person, with another past and set of experiences in my dream and this prevents me from making reality checks, simply because I'm just not me. Doesn't make it a less interesting experience though

But I don't believe in other spirits taking over my body while I'm dreaming, I'm just not into that kind of stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this stuff is really cool. I used to have quite vivid dreams when I was a kid, but stop for ages. Now I can have a real vivid one about once a month if that, but when I have them ...man they're freaky.

My mum has the greatest dreams though. last night she went to see War of the Worlds, then came home and watched a documentry about penguins. When she went to sleep she had a dream about killer penguins invaded Earth

We'll ride the spiral to the end, we may just go where no one's been

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.