Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Character concept for movie

This is a character concept for a movie.
    All rights reserved. That means dont copy my shit.
    hellllooo

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Work on your anatomy and find me a light source.

Thanks
    Could use some work on drapery and folds. Try to keep them simple and effective.

Thanks
    The left arm is either too short, or the right one is too long

Thanks
    I like the background and page layout, simple and effective.

I have to agree that the red fabric thingy has way too many folds to it. Fabric usually goes the path of lesser resistance and forms larger simple folds when able (especially if it's coarse fabric)

Thanks
    I like the tittle on the bottem left.
    My soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    shall be lifted nevermore - www.artofstoo.net

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback

I agree with the drapery and the light, but I know my anatomy is right on because I drew it from my own picture. Dont laugh, yes thats me in my chonees.
    hellllooo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 469 Posts
    your left arm is too short anyways... place em ontop of eachother...

looks great though, but i agree about the critique you already got so i'll just say...

keep on doing your thing !

cheers !

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sakona
    I agree with the drapery and the light, but I know my anatomy is right on because I drew it from my own picture. Dont laugh, yes thats me in my chonees.
    hehe, great idea with the self-reference photo..

you got the shape and proportions correct all in all. but some muscle areas are incorrect. the rectus abdominis (the muscle that shapes the "six-pack" area) is incorrect and far too plastic-like. also, your right (our left) pectoralis major muscle connects wrong with the arm and is also wrong in shape.

also, you don't have a definite light source, so your light and shadow is all over the place.

i do really dig the background though, really well done.. keep at it!

Thanks
    Basically the muscles are over-embelleshed and very cartoonish. They look rather disproportioned and ridiculous.

Thanks

what the hell are u talking about

Quote Originally Posted by hurricane
    your left arm is too short anyways... place em ontop of eachother...

looks great though, but i agree about the critique you already got so i'll just say...

keep on doing your thing !

cheers !

How is my left arm shorter than the right if its from the picture. It looks exctly the same as the pic. You dont know what the hell you talking about.
    hellllooo

Thanks
    I see what is meant with the arms. maybe the foreshortening on the bent arm is a little deceiving, but It's being rather picky. The cloth still looks like cloth so as far as a concept goes it does the job. I rather like the background.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 469 Posts
    nevermind..

/edit

BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    You dont know what the hell you talking about.
    dude, come on, this isn't the place to cop an attitude. If you've checked out Hurricane's sketchbook you'd know that he has a good handle on his art and has a keen eye. What he's talking about is subtle, i'm sure, but just because you disagree doesn't mean you should start insulting him. And if you are right, thats fine, but at least be tasteful enough to not insult those who are only trying to help you as best they can.

so- besides that, maybe next time you should try to push the barbarian/warrior archetype a little more, and try to include less typical costume elements that carry the same (if not stronger) storytelling power.

now hopefully you're not going to get mad at me too.

Thanks
    The arm folks have a problem with wouldnt look off, if the peck at the Viewers left was slightly smaller then the peck that is closest to the viewer (right)...you have ever so slightly thrown off the distance illution with that one peck....I have done this myself a few times and you dont realy notice it till you flip the picture horizontaly in a program like photoshop a few times then it becomes clear,..

hope this helps some

-P
    10110011cogwitch101101110

Thanks
    I dont think its the lenght of the arms that is wonky. For me it looks like its the left (his right) arms foreshortening that is off. Look in your pic and notice how you twist your arm forward a lilbit, the character in the pic doesnt really give the impression that he is twisitng is slighty forward. Thats why it looks smaller.

well thats my theory anyways.

Good stuff

Thanks
    Lol, i started laughing when i read " dont copy my shit"!
    Dude, whats there to copy that hasnt already been used a million times? It is in no way a concept you invented from scratch man, so maybe take a chill on that to start with. AND when a kickass artist like Hurricane - a fucking great artist! - gives you a crit to help you, dont flame like that - cause it only shows that its you that dosnt know what the hell you are talking about! Theres too much wonkyness going on with your anatomy for you to act like Picasso and its clear that when you run out of reference (like muscles ) you are in trouble. You are not alone in this, so dont take this too hard. But you really cant see that?
    Dude, push your stuff to the next level, dont get "feel too good about my skills to take crits to heart" and take help when you get it.
    Becoming a good artist starts off with leaving the noob you once was behind.
    Feel free to flame on me too btw - i need a good laugh anyway.
    Last edited by Fellah.; July 12th, 2005 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks
    whoa. man i dont know whats worse, the fact that your drawn anatomy is all wonky, or that i had to check that photo of you a few times to compare the silhouettes. BLARFF!!!

YEEERFFF!!!!

beyond that, i think the hand holding the stick and the dude's face needs some work. your lighting also leaves your character looking flat. but you've heard all this.

Thanks
    No need to get cheap! Sakona's trying- and pretty ballsy to post his ref. The problem with the "short" arm is that the ellipses of the bracelet are to flat, making the arm look more extended than it is. Sakona, there are dangers to using photo ref when you're not familar with the basics of form and anatomy. Look at the hand holding the staff- does your drawing really match your ref? Do you know the actual structure of the abdominal muscles and the actions they perform? You've got to study that kind of thing- both the book theory and the life drawing aspect. Not a bad piece actually- looks do-able in a practical costume. You've got some good crits here, too, as well as some jackassed remarks. Learn to sort thecrap out and ignore it- that's an invaluable professional skill. You're pretty defensive, too- if you post something, you'll run the risk of somebody ripping you off. Flattery! I'll sign off by thanking you for that censor bar...

Thanks
    sakona you've got a great attitude, lol.
    Butterfly in the sky
    I can go twice as high...
    x3no

Thanks
    Also the chest isn't rotated enough. Check your reference again. Now you get the impression you got a piece of chest wich is frontal too the camera with a very small arm sticking out of it. If you rotate the chest the area where the arm connects would become more clear and your foreshortening would be better I think.

And btw, saying that everything is oke because you have drawn it from reference is wrong. All that matters is the end product and it has lots of weakspots. And not only folds and anatomical stuff.
    "Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Looks too similar to Ubisoft's Prince of Persia character. Maybe change the hairstyle/facial hair and the colors.

Thanks
    Well, even the most faithful reproduction of a photograph can't save an artist from the fact that photos can often capture poses and angles that, when faithfully reproduced in another medium, don't visually look right.

Also, the lighting of your piece reflects that your photo reference is evenly lit, which is the standard for most photography, nowadays, unfortunately. My advice would be to use your photo references both for anatomical reference as well as lighting reference. Kill two birds with one stone, as it were.

Thanks
    sakona: I hate to tell you this but in real life your right arm is too short. just kidding, but I agree with what everyone is saying, just because it looks like the photo doesn't make it right. photos distort and can't be trusted, the end product is all that matters.
    chukw gave you some great advise about the ellipses.

Thanks
    Sakona: Sigh, ya they DO know what they are talking about but I'll make it real clear. In your photo you are holding your arm out away from your body just a bit. Therefore your arm is somewhat forshortened.

In your painting you drwe the forshortened arm held straigh out from your heros chest instead of away from his side like in the photo. So you matched the length but changed the angle of the arm so it should no longer be foreshortened.

The two are NOT exactly the same.
    Peace, Love and Harmony... I could never get them all into bed at the same time!

Thanks

Dude... you need to wash those whitey tighties.. they arent so white anymore.

Thanks

Angry "how can pic be wrong, i drew it from a picture"

Question: How is my left arm shorter than the right if its from the picture.

Answer: You changed the muscle structure on the picture so the pose is gonna change as well as proportions.

Study more anatomy, especially the chest and abdominal area. Facial structure too. Also I have to go with everyone else already about the cloth. The boots have no soles as well. Those boots wouldn't work in real life. They look like hard socks.
    Last edited by character; July 14th, 2005 at 01:01 PM.
    polylover.com

Thanks

Movie???

Dude, what movie is this for anyways I mean if a studio or something hires you, you must be pretty damn good dont ya think. No comments on the pic I just think theres lots of guys around here claiming they're doing stuff for a some video or card game or movie or something, when 'to be very honest' there stuff just isn't convincing enough for me to believe it ya know. I think people around here should be more clear about what there concepts are actually for. I mean dude come on don't go telling me this is for the next George Lucas flick or anything cuz if so I know of a lot of other guys that deserve a shot at it.
    My dick isn't small. Its just foreshortened

Thanks
    New rule, no more self naked ref pics!

Thanks
    want to throw in my two cents, since i find the discussion of the right arm interesting.

The answer is this: what youve done is overlap the bicep muscle on top of the forearm. In the photo your bicep is not really overlapping your forearm, its more sitting next to it. The overlapping pushes the forearm back and flattens it against the picture plane, destroying the foreshortening that was happening in real life/the photo, making the arm look SHORT as opposed to FORESHORTENED. So yes, it makes perfect sense that the arm looks short in the drawing, even though you (thought you) copyed it perfectly, and you must KEEP STUDYING ANATOMY AND BASIC DRAWING and use photos for -reference- rather than blindly copying them, and i freekin LOVE THIS FORUM where theres NO NONSENSE and we all tell each other like it is!!!!!!

so glad i found this place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast