Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

What the hell?!?!?!--- creature concept art dump

Always great to see all the cool work being shown here. It's been awhile since I have posted... life, in general, has been really crazy busy lately. No matter, I did these a few months ago... finally got around to scanning them in. Just random monster sketches and ideas...
    -J-

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Sweet bro, the crappy old sketchbook look really adds to the atmosphere. You didn't come back on thursday, sucker!

M

Thanks
    the backgroung is cool! Randering very good! But the concept... hmm... not on my taste...

Thanks

Thumbs up

Well - the background is perfect-climax
    the concept not clear
    but still looks great
    fine work
    i like it
    85% satisfaction i would say
    "War is the realm of danger; therefore courage is the soldier's first reqirement."
    Carl von Clausevitz "On War".

Rootlin's INK-LINE ARCHIVE : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?p=599070

Thanks
    dope. love 'em. the concepts seem pretty clear to me.

Thanks
    Fantastic...excellent work, love the ideas.

Thanks
    lovely.
    The stamps on the sketchbook really add to the inique style.
    Enjoy zee most delicious Post Apocalyptic webcomic:
    www.rom.ac

Thanks
    The first and 3rd one are good, for the rest the backround feels like a convenient destraction so we dont notice how little work was put into the other sketches, compared to the two I just mentioned. Also, idunno if the binding was part of the style you wanted but these would look better with the binding cropped out.

Thanks
    i love the feel of these. did you comp in the coffee stains and random scribbles and texture over your sketchbook scan, or did you just buy a really cool sketchbook?

Thanks
    sup jason. this stuff is great. awesome rendering and presentation. the guy with the 3 heads is my fav. keep it up!

Thanks
    Hey Jason - good stuff man, i recognized it as yours immediately - I met you at the Sf Comic-con and showed ya some work... Heres the latest thing i've been into.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47424

Cool - check ya later.
    Shane

Thanks
    Bad ass sketches... original, complete fucked up designs. I dig the sketchbook treatment you gave these too.

Thanks
    Good drawings.

Thanks
    wow, very awsome. The only crit i have is that they cant be plates untill there are plates made of them for the printing press. lol, but anyways very nice.

Thanks
    honestly i like the pages more than the artwork.. the drawings are cool but the pages seem to add a lot to them..

Thanks
    These are nice, any chance you can post larger versions of them, I want to see all the details because its so awesome.

Thanks
    The first one is my favorite, by far. The solidness (solidity? whatever) of the tentacles... they're just there!

Thanks
    Great creatures, and great presentation.

c
    chris steingart

ca sketchbook 2
    blog

Thanks
    I like the presentation very much, it's not just a sketchbook, it's photocopies of a dead monster hunter's log book that has been recovered and given to the poor sap that has to go back into the jungle to hunt them down.
    bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    i like the old feel to it with the messy brown book and the monsters are great too

Thanks
    sweetness
    ender coşkun
    my old sketchbook

Thanks
    Damn, thanks for the warm reception everyone! Makes me wanna keep on going with this theme and crank out a few dozen more. And, I must admit, Marko and Wes have really inspired me with their pencil work. So my hat is off to them

Marko-->Thanks dood. At the show, I got there WAY too early expecting to see everyone. I had to take off and did not make it back... yeah I missed a good bash. But, we can make more fun bashes!

Icey--->Well, at least you liked something about the pieces. That works for me.

Rootlin--->Most of the images are full figured and totally rendered. For composition reasons, I ended up cropping some of the images and focused more on the presentation end.

ozan--->Thanks a million! Dood, I really dig your work. Beautiful paintings... really inspiring works.

JJJenkins--->Thank you. Yeah, I love to do this type of work. I grew up loving monster flicks and since those days... I cannot stop drawing them.

Alexius--->The stamp was something that refers to my first small monster sketch book titled 'Mail Order Monsters'. In general, there is something beautiful about those old postcards/stamps.

ryanwh---> I see. Thanks for the post.

phrozac---> I did try to mess up my sketch book by dragging in some dirt, ink splats, and coffee stains. The actual sketchbook itself is just plain white with a plastic spiral binding. So I did use photoshop to add some color and additional details like the stamps, some ink blots, and so forth. If I could find a discolored sketchbook like this, I would buy it in a second!

stormeffex--->I will, thanks! Yeah, I've actually got 20 creatures lined up to render and finish. When I finish another batch, I will make sure to post them here.

spacemunky1117--->Speaking of shows, I will have a booth at the San Diego Comic-Con. If anybody is going, just look for my name in the Artist Alley(aka Jason Felix). Nice sculpture... got any more to show?

strych9ine--->Sweet! Thanks. Actually working in photoshop and tweaking the pages to make them look super old and crazy like was the best part.

snowbaby--->Thank you!

Blahm--->Good point. But, I was adding in elements that I thought were cool and worked for the pages.

Main Loop--->That's cool. In general, I hoped that each page functioned like a finished piece of art.

phlem117--->Yeah, I can do that. I'm leaving for San Diego shortly, so I will have to post the larger image when I get back.

glikster--->I totally love octopus's and slimy creatures. And tenticles are my favorite thing to draw...so awesome.

csteingart--->Thank you!

bwkeough--->Shreeek!!! You've nailed it... that is exactly what I was shooting for. Remember the 'Book of the Dead' from Evil Dead 2? Very much like that. Yes, I would like to fill an entire book with diagrams, organs, monsters, etc.

Sems & e n d e r--->Thanks!

Thanks
    great work, I like 'em. indeed the texture of the paper adds to the dark feeling.

Sorry to spill this in your topic, nothing personal, but I just want to point out the hypocrisy on this board. a while ago, i posted a finished pencil drawing here in the finished section but oh no! im no pro and it gets thrown into the sketches forum part. yet you actualy say these are sketches but hey, its cool to stay here. nice to see that there are moderators here who decide in our place wether someones work is done or not. dont get me wrong, im not saying i should get recognition of professional but damn, this is insane...

oh well
    sorry for the little rant, i just *had* to get it of my chest. nothing personal, as i said...
    Last edited by Bralt Hannicart; July 11th, 2005 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks
    Dood, anytime you start off by saying 'Nothing personal' , it's always personal. NO really! That's a fact.

I can understand if you have something to say, but this is completely the wrong way of approaching this. Not only are you attacking the board and me, but you are also attacking any professional as well.

If you want to get something off your chest, you could easily post your concerns within the Lounge area OR just email the moderators themselves.
    -J-

Quote Originally Posted by Bralt Hannicart
    great work, I like 'em. indeed the texture of the paper adds to the dark feeling.

Sorry to spill this in your topic, nothing personal, but I just want to point out the hypocrisy on this board. a while ago, i posted a finished pencil drawing here in the finished section but oh no! im no pro and it gets thrown into the sketches forum part. yet you actualy say these are sketches but hey, its cool to stay here. nice to see that there are moderators here who decide in our place wether someones work is done or not. dont get me wrong, im not saying i should get recognition of professional but damn, this is insane...

oh well
    sorry for the little rant, i just *had* to get it of my chest. nothing personal, as i said...
    Last edited by Bomba; July 11th, 2005 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks
    This reminds me alot of the cool medical journal in Eternal Darkness.
    Eerie, and damn cool.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bralt Hannicart

oh well
    It has little to do with medium, more to do with composition. You will also see penwork and sometimes paintings moved to the sketch section, even if the artist thinks they're done this is a mod's "tough love" way of saying "not quite". A sketch can still be finished work, here its used as a style to complement the finished product. It's SUPPOSED to look like a sketch made my someone long ago to log inhuman creatures, and as the affect is complete, it is finished work.
    However like I said before, since ancient tomes didnt use binding like what we see on the edge of the page, it would be better cropped out(or replaced with a "book like" binding)

Thanks
    Lol!!! You're adorable. Ok... ok... I do like your comment and give it a shot.
    -J-

Quote Originally Posted by ryanwh
    However like I said before, since ancient tomes didnt use binding like what we see on the edge of the page, it would be better cropped out(or replaced with a "book like" binding)

Thanks
    if i say its nothing personal, then it is so. ok?

i got no hearing in the lounge area a few months ago, so i deleted my topic, or deleted the content. i also mentioned it in my own topic where they practically said im paranoid. And yes, i should have mailed a moderator or PMed one. yeah, so in other words, my art education is deemed worthless here since my work never seems to be finished.

my apolagies if you felt personally attacked, i ALSO agree that these sketches belong here because of their finished look. i was just pointing out to the words 'sketches'.

now ill remove myself off this boards since all i do is leave a pompous, arrogant impression and thats not my intention.

Thanks
    styalized and evil, great mix. I
    I think you hit the nail on the head, got any more ?

Thanks
    If you haven't already, definitly check out "The Diary of Victor Frankenstein" (Stephen R. Cooper, illo'd by Timothy Basil Ering)... dunno if it's still in print or not, but very similar feel.
    "Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast