How much do you draw a day, and what sorta things.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: How many hours a day do you draw?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 - 2 hrs

37 52.86%
  • 3- 4 hrs

6 8.57%
  • 4 - 8 hrs

18 25.71%
  • 8 - 12 hrs or more?

9 12.86%

Thread: How much do you draw a day, and what sorta things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How much do you draw a day, and what sorta things.

I added a poll to this just for the hours, and, some questions below, i am interested in hearing what people have to say. Please be honest.

How many hours a day do you draw?

Do you mix up what you draw in that time... anatomy and envrionments and creatures, or do you go all out anatomy 1 day, then creatures the next, then enviro's the next?

What sorta things do you mainly draw? -

People from magazines, anatomy from anatomy books, environments, from refrences, etc, state what it is and your resources, dont just say people, say, people from anatomy books, or people from magazines whatever.

Do you stay in more than you go out, just so you can draw? If so why? Do you feel you have the biggest passion to drawing that you just cant get away from it....Or do you go out and draw from life more than you stay in and draw?

Extra: Whats your daily schedule, that you like to do.... "optional"

""If there is any more questions you would like added tell me and i can add it to the top here.... Or just keep it like this""

Justin.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no one wants to answer any questions ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ill answer your questions justin......hopefully get the ball rolling

i only draw about 1-2hours a day and i NEVER draw from reference but after checking out this site more i thinking i should seriously start changing the way i draw

i never draw environments either....usually ill just grab my sketchbook and put down whatever comes into my head and find styles....i can never stick to one thing

ontop of that, i spend most of my time making music and DJing. That seems to be my main love right now.....i should get the drawing in gear coz im going to art college soon

--- Style is Everything ---

My Rhythmic Alter Ego

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wah.. ok, I'll try.

How many hours a day do you draw? Hard to say.. I answered between 4-8, and that's generally right.. sometimes just 4, sometimes 8. Pretty equally divided between digital and traditional.. although I find it alot easier to get lost in digital and the hours might fly by.. alot moreso than traditional.

Do you mix up what you draw in that time... anatomy and envrionments and creatures, or do you go all out anatomy 1 day, then creatures the next, then enviro's the next? I mix it up.. no routine or daily themes, I used to think it would be a good idea to plan it out, work on different subjects for set amounts of time, etc.. but doesn't work out.

What sorta things do you mainly draw? Characters/anatomy and ID fairly equally... I don't get many environments and creatures in... trying to get environments into the regular mix. 10-20% of all this is from photo ref... with the rest being from the mind

Do you stay in more than you go out, just so you can draw? If so why? Do you feel you have the biggest passion to drawing that you just cant get away from it....Or do you go out and draw from life more than you stay in and draw?
    Shit, I never go out.. even almost all of my traditional sketchbook stuff is done at my computer, mainly because my music is there. Haven't really had much of a social life since I've become serious about improving at art... art is just what I care about now.

I dunno.. if I spend 4-8 hours drawing, I spend 2+ hours aside from that just looking at art. Check what art people have posted here, on eatpoo, and even deviantart every day. Damn, and I don't draw nearly as much as I'd like too.. need less 4+ hour days, more 8+ hour days. Less time messing around or filling out random surveys in the lounge, hah.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, guys thanks, now its the rest of ya turns, i will post mine as well. Also another thing to add thats soo crazy, already there is 19 people that said they draw only 1 - 2hrs a day, i was expecting alot of people to say 4- 8 or 8-12 hrs a day

Anyways here is mine.

I chose, 4- 8 hrs a day, which probably should be more, but i usually go 4 - 8 hrs of drawing then like 2hrs or so of looking at other art getting inspired, eating, doing something else etc..

Do you mix up what you draw in that time... anatomy and envrionments and creatures, or do you go all out anatomy 1 day, then creatures the next, then enviro's the next?

I mix it all up, but to me it seems like it would be better, to have anatomy one day, enviro's the next etc.... I professional gave me a good tip before, he told me if i wanna be able to draw people, and remember it, draw people all day one day, i wanna be able to draw creatures draw creatures all day, i want to be able to draw enviro's, draw enviro's all day and so on.

I mainly draw landscaps, about 80 % of the time, which is sorta a bad thing, and i don't usually draw them, i paint them. I need to get out of this habbit. And start sketching/studying more.

Back in the day, i use to go out all the time, then i started to seriously get into art, and now, i draw and paint all the time. It is my life, my love, and my passion. I can't get away from it, i feel depressed now, if i miss a day of drawing. I usually draw in my studio at home. I draw from life about 10 % of the time, just getting into that

Wake up early if i can, eat, go on the comp check out some art, get inspired, go draw a bit, see whats going on with friends, and then i go draw and paint, all day if i can without distractions. Then dinner time etc... then i do 3d modelling, the 3d modelling part has just started The go to sleep and then wake up again and do it all over.

Justin.

Now come on guys, lets here what the rest of ya have to say!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Well i rarely only draw, i usually paint or use a tablet, so i'll count that as well.. usually 2-8 hours, sometimes more when im in school, rarely do i draw for less than an hour, and i think its been over 5 months where i didnt do any kind of art in the whole day

mostly people from reference that i add my own spin to, lots of people from life if i'm out, if im at school, i draw models or other students, rarely do i draw out of my head when im at school.. all depends on my mood and where i am

I stay in mostly cuz i dont have that many places to go I dont confine myself to drawing only indoors or outdoors.. I make the most out of where i am, which contributes to my variety and mileage... i think its a good habit to get into..

Im on CA.ORG DUH!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I draw zero hours a day, id like to to get back into it but im currently pretty happy with my job as a design engineer. I studied ID to become a concept artest but i guess im just too lazy to chase my dream.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got my sketchbook allways with me, and i try to use it as much as possible usually I end up at 6 hrs a day, I draw just from live (mainly people), Ive made some anatomy studies a while ago out of books but they didnt turn out very helpfull. I'm not shure yet how tho solve this problem.
    Ive got 4 times a week human live drawing classes (currently all in summer vacation *hmpf*)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

1-4 hours a day, I answered 1-2 (I try to paint as well)

Do you mix up what you draw in that time...

Yes I do, I draw a bit of everything

Faces, buildings, and birds for some odd reason.

People from magazines, anatomy from anatomy books, environments, from refrences, etc, state what it is and your resources, dont just say people, say, people from anatomy books, or people from magazines whatever.

I dont use reffs that much to claim that I use them, if you follow me. Ill only use them if I draw something that I am not fimiliar with.

I get out more then I draw, I wish I had more time to draw actually. Hard to tell friends that I rather be drawing then hanging out with them.

This is my daily schedule almost to a tee

Wake up about 9or10
    eat while I browse the net (Such as this site here)
    about 11 I got and draw for a bit
    Call my friends up around noonish and go do something
    get home around 6-10ish and browse the net for replies (Sad but true)
    Go into my room and draw until I get tired, and then go to bed.

wash and repeat...

"As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool guys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey cool poll, very interesting.

Oh, lately (Summer) it's everyday for 3-5 hours. Sometimes it's actually a few days inbetween. When I feel monotonous or can't do something properly I don't draw for a few days. Everywhere I go I see hints to my problems, I build back up and draw some more.

What sorta things do you mainly draw? / Do you mix up what you draw in that time... anatomy and envrionments and creatures, or do you go all out anatomy 1 day, then creatures the next, then enviro's the next?

I draw random crap around my house, even when in drawing classes I pick up random things to draw just because I like their shape or a particular aspect. I should mix it up more I think, especially to draw from reference.

That's umm, confusing. I draw indoors mostly, I'd like to draw and paint outdoors eventually. Art is my biggest passion, I can't imagine doing anything else as a career (eep... that would be horrible ! ).

Whats your daily schedule, that you like to do.... "optional"

Stay up late, Sleep in (I still get the 7-8 hours I desperately need, at least when I can...) Relax after learning and drawing so much with some gaming. Retire to my bed and watch a movie or show.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awsome, its soo cool hearing these things

Also i would love to know who the 8 - 12 hr' er drawers are here?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I typically draw/paint anywhere from 6 to 10 hours a day, depending on my class and activities-of-daily-life schedule. On a typical day in the painting studio, I'll spend around 6 hours or more painting, with various intervals of sketching interspersed throughout the day and evening. On a painting project at home, it's not unusual for me to work 18 hours at a stretch, with necessary breaks for eating and its inverse.

I draw all sorts of things in a day, though it's important to be working intensively on one or two things and have some relief in another subject.

My primary interests are in science fiction illustration, so there's a lot of the staples- futuristic vehicles, architecture, costumes, mechanical odds and ends, aliens, etc.. I also have a keen interest in geology, and quite enjoy painting and drawing rocks in various dramatic formations. Among widely varying interests are included dinosaurs, automotive design, and the occasional cartoon.

I take my references from all over. Any image or object or place I see is a reference, and in the case of environmental or mechanical design, I often completely disregard actual scale, exploring it as feels most natural. I'll see a city in a furniture store, or an animal in a piece of machinery. I'm constantly absorbing experiences and using them wherever I see fit.

I don't really have much of a life beyond my family, my art, and my dog. Whenever I do go out, I always have a sketchbook, and it's usually with other people and their sketchbooks. It's not anything I can get away from any more than I can get away from breathing. It is What I Do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Barret, that was truly inspiring man - Also i checked out your artwork, and its rad, i love it, so many cool sketches man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Well I' ve answered 4-8 hours, but of course sometimes there are days where I don't draw at all as well as days where I do non stop drawing.

Normaly when I sit down to draw I have a plan what I want to study or simply draw that day, but often I feel suddenly sick of drawing the muscles of the leg, and so I make some clothing studies for example.

At the moment I am mainly concentrating on human anatomy, consequently I draw a loooot of figure drawings. There are a lot auf good sites in the internet to find some reference for that ( www.fineart.sk for example). Sometimes I draw from magazines wehn I want to make some real quick gestural drawings.

Actually I stay in most time, funnily enough that I can't tell why. I always want to go out in the park and draw some people or architecture but normaly I stay inside. probably I am just too lazy

Whats your daily schedule, that you like to do....

At the moment there are summer holidays in germany and because of that I have established a pretty strong schedule each day. My goal is to fill 300 pages of my sketchbook in 47 days.

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gloominati says:

My goal is to fill 300 pages of my sketchbook in 47 days.

Wow d00d, thats great but i guess if you think of it its really not that much....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I take classes everyday for intensive drawing. Mon-Wed is a 7 hour class, and Thursdays are the 10 hour classes. We do models, landscapes, paintings, drawing objects in different media, and studying from the masters, It's really a great program, hopefully it will get me into a good college. Then when I get home I usually am really tired but manage to squeeze in at least 1-2 hours of stuff from my head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick_Sketch, that's kick ass, that'd teach you so much eventually.

1-2, maybe 3 if really in the mood, 4 if Art class included. I should draw more I'm thinking....

Mixed sometimes, mostly anatomy since i'm really a n00b at it, but i've gotta try enviro's, i'm terrible at those.

Defo Andrew Loomis, kick ass stuff.

I mostly stay in... It's damn addictive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jeez! 30 out of 55 people only draw 1-2 hours daily? Yeah, you all need to step it up about 5 notches.

8-12 hours a day. Of course as was said already, there are the days where I'm running around doing errands... and there are other days when I draw from 10am to 1am, so yeah.

I mix it up depending on what I'm having to draw really. Just depends on the job.

What sorta things do you mainly draw?

Mainly characters. But sometimes that involves environments. Anything from storyboards to key frames to character design to illustrations.

I go out so I can draw, but not from life. I just like to have some activity around me while I'm drawing, unless I have to do a final, polished image, then I spend the day nailing the sketch, and I come home in the evening and do the line drawing and colors.

Whats your daily schedule, that you like to do....?

Hhhhmmm... wake up by 8am, take a shower, make a nice big breakfast, start drawing by 10am so I can get something done by noon. Eat lunch and do any errands I need to do, then get back to drawing till dinner. Do some excersize, push-ups etc. do a little more sketching, then go to bed by about midnight or 1am. Good times.

Peace,
    -Daniel

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Right now I'm around 4-10 hours a day. Closer to 5 or 6 on average. When i was younger (19-21ish) I was hitting 10-16 pretty consistantly. There are the occasional days where I get 1 hour in and sometimes less if life is crazy.

** I'll add this though. My best artistic efforts comes from more thinking then drawing.

Depends. I get in weird zones sometimes, but not often. Most of the time it's just whatever there is. I've been painting more then drawing this week. If I'm working on a project that requires chars, envs, etc... I usually will focus on one and move down the line if I can.

What sorta things do you mainly draw?

If it's just me sketching I'll go through different things from characters, creatures, enviroments, vehicles, props, etc. If I'm jonesing on something I may focus on that. If I'm doing work I do whatever that entails.

Normally I stay in and draw. Less distractions = more productivity. However, drawing and drawing ideas from life is always good. So I do go out. I used to go to places like the Getty every weekend and draw. Figure drawing is always nice. Character studies. I enjoy meeting up with sketch groups. There's one in the valley usually once a month I hit up. They are all amazing artists and that is a great source of inspiration.

Whats your daily schedule, that you like to do....?

Daily? Eek tough one. Weekdays are me waking up around 8am going to work at 10am. Sometimes get a good amount of sketching done here (I mostly browse the forums from here too!). Get home between 5-8pm. Usually draw until 2-4am.

Weekends allow for more art time.

There's always life stuff. Buy groceries, friends, eat, wash dishes, do laundry.....

Laundry. Crap I'm leaving for San Diego tomorrow and better get some clothing washed up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really inspiring guys Im still very surprised at the amount of people that draw only 1 - 2 hrs...

Members who have read this thread: 4