Can't Decide Between The Intuos3 6x8 And 9x12

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I've narrowed the decision down to these two tablets. Although this will be my first tablet purchase I am never one to get the lower models to see if I am happy with it before I get the high-end stuff. Instead I usually research what I am looking to buy and see if I would be happy with it and then save myself the hassle of getting two of the same thing with different levels of quality. That said, I want to make sure that I get the right tablet for my situation.

I'm currently running a 20.1" LCD monitor in a resolution of 1600x1200. I've read a lot about the scaling that takes place if your screen resolution is larger than the size of your tablet. However, I've also read that you can specify what area of the screen you would like the tablet to be active on, which eliminates the problem of scaling. Regardless of how it is set up, I would like to have my transition of going from paper to tablet go as smoothly as possible. Due to this I have been leaning towards the 9x12, which I have read has little to no scaling on monitors running 1600x1200. Also, desk space really isn't an issue as I will most likely use the tablet on my lap while drawing.

Up until now everything that I have read has pointed me towards the 9x12. Did I miss something somewhere or is this the right tablet for me?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im currently running 1280 x 1024, and am currently using a graphire 3 tablet from wacom 6x8 and I have no problems what so ever with my setup.

My post probly wont help you, but Just in case ...

BTW the tablets map to you screen if you wish.

"As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually it does help me, JARhead. I'm curious as to the settings you are using with your tablet though. Do you have the tablet assigned to just a portion of the screen or to the whole thing? If you have it set to the whole screen is there any scaling?

My main problem is that I don't want to buy one and later on down the road end up thinking that I should have gotten the other one. I really appreciate your input though, thanks a bunch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im not sure what you mean by "scaling."

I asume you are thinking that if you want to move you mouse pointer to one side, to the other side of the screen, youll have to move you tablet pen like a mouse?

"As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get what you can afford. If you can get the 9X12 then why not?

No space? MAKE SPACE!

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,
    Is your 20,1 LCD display a Formac Gallery 2010 ?
    If yes, I've been working on it for the last 5 months, when I switched to Macintosh, and I used a A6 intuos with it, the smallest : no scaling problem.
    I don't like large tablets - A5 / A4 - because you have to do large movements to get into each menu, and believe me, after 6 hours working with it, you feel a bit tired...
    BUT, when I got a second display (it changed my life on Photoshop), I changed for a A4 tablet (intuos 3), because it was the only way to keep 2 A6 surfaces on the length (one for each display.)
    The only problem with bigger tablets is that it need more power from the USB output, so don't try to put it on hub (unless it's self powered)
    Bye.

= W A N D E R E R =
    C O M I C B O O K A R T I S T

++ FLESH AND FOAM ++

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    big means g00d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, JARhead I was just wondering about the ratio of your pen stroke to the size of the line created on the screen. In other words, when you draw a one inch line on the tablet it won't appear to be a one inch line on your screen, at least I think that is the way tablets work. Like I said, I've never used one before so I'm still open to any and all information. I think my problem in understanding the fact that you may draw a three inch tall character on your tablet (if you were to put a piece of paper down and use a real pen it would turn out three inches tall) but when you look at it on your monitor it's six or seven inches tall. I don't think that I've fully grasped the concept of looking at the monitor while you draw, even though you have to do the same thing with a mouse. It's just one of those things you have to get used to I guess, right?

As for the space darth massacre, that is not an issue. The size of the tablet is only a concern in that I don't know what kind of strokes are needed when using a tablet. I don't want to get the 9x12 if it's going to require me to use large sweeping strokes. I tend to draw more with my wrist than with my arm. Would I be correct in assuming that drawing on a 9x12 tablet is not the same as drawing on a 9x12 sheet of paper (aside from the whole digital aspect of it)? If so, would the 6x8 be better for my drawing style?

Actually my monitor is a Dell Ultrasharp 20.1", Arctis. It seems to work pretty well . As for your switch from the smaller tablet to the larger one are you happy with it? You said that the larger tablet requires larger movements in order to reach menus and such, which I assume would also translate to larger movements needed when drawing?

That's what I've been told, sideshowbob, but I'm not sure about the difference between the motions needed when drawing with different sized tablets.

I guess my next question is whether or not larger tablets require larger motions when drawing. Like I said earlier in this post I tend to draw with only my wrist and hand as opposed to using the rest of my arm, so would the use of the 9x12 tablet require the larger motions that I don't use?

Last edited by Xenethyl; July 10th, 2005 at 06:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for 1600x1200 i would personally go for the 9x12.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For what reasons Gezstar? I'm not trying to question your advice or anything, I would just like to know why the 9x12 would be more suited for a resolution of 1600x1200. Thanks for the input.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe theeeese is of some use?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenethyl
    For what reasons Gezstar? I'm not trying to question your advice or anything, I would just like to know why the 9x12 would be more suited for a resolution of 1600x1200. Thanks for the input.
    just through personal experience, i find it a very comfortable tablet:screen ratio. for 1024x768, the 6x8 is great, and for 1280x960, i'd use a 9x12 but reduce the active area to 7.5x10.

like i said, just personal preference.. probably something to do with the fact the screen is a bit further from you than the tablet is, and this is the closest to a 'virtual' one to one ratio (i.e. what yo'd have if you were drawing on paper) you can get. then again, pixel size varies from monitor to monitor, so you should really try it out in the shop first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Idiot Apathy: The picture isn't loading.

Gezstar: That makes sense. I appreciate your insight and tips. Thanks a lot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Photobucket said they'd be down . . . it's cool now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, that's pretty cool Idiot Apathy. I had a vague idea of how everything was customizable but that screenshot makes it a lot clearer. Thanks a ton!

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's not the resolution of your monitor that determines the tablet, it's what you are doing with the tablet...

I run 9x12s on both my systems, both of which have dual 19" monitors. One monitor is 1024x768, the other one for each system is 1240x 1024, which really doesn't matter. What DOES matter is that when I am working on a 300ppi CMYK image, and I have to draw a very neat and clean non-vector line, I enlarge my screen in Photoshop, or Painter to anywhere from 200 - 400 % enlargement, and I can then make very precise, clean, straight lines. To prove this to yourself, make a new document 5x7", and draw a simple 3px line across the 5" side at 66%, 100%, 200% and 300%. You will have to put more effort into the larger enlargement screens, but the results LOOK better. Compare the 300% line with the 66% line, and decide which is jaggier...

To do fine detail, you need the best magnification with the sharpest tools you can get. A 9x12 is the best bang for the buck to create detailed work for print. To just look at sketches on the web which display at 72ppi, you can get by with a cheap aiptek...

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tips madster, as well as everyone else that commented on this thread. I've just about made up my mind (short of ordering it) and I'll be getting the 9x12.

Again, thanks for all the information everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by madster
    It's not the resolution of your monitor that determines the tablet, it's what you are doing with the tablet...

I run 9x12s on both my systems, both of which have dual 19" monitors. One monitor is 1024x768, the other one for each system is 1240x 1024, which really doesn't matter. What DOES matter is that when I am working on a 300ppi CMYK image, and I have to draw a very neat and clean non-vector line, I enlarge my screen in Photoshop, or Painter to anywhere from 200 - 400 % enlargement, and I can then make very precise, clean, straight lines. To prove this to yourself, make a new document 5x7", and draw a simple 3px line across the 5" side at 66%, 100%, 200% and 300%. You will have to put more effort into the larger enlargement screens, but the results LOOK better. Compare the 300% line with the 66% line, and decide which is jaggier...

To do fine detail, you need the best magnification with the sharpest tools you can get. A 9x12 is the best bang for the buck to create detailed work for print. To just look at sketches on the web which display at 72ppi, you can get by with a cheap aiptek...

~M
    actually madster, photoshop works based on which pixel your cursor is in at any given time, rather than the exact spot your stylus is on your tablet.

btw to draw a perfect straight line, you just need to hold down the shift button.

useful hint

also while we're on the subject, something some people might not know is: go to the wacom control panel, and (as long as you don't need the dual track functionality) change the mode to 'recognition data'. i'm pretty sure you'll be pleased at the improved responsiveness of the tablet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezstar
    also while we're on the subject, something some people might not know is: go to the wacom control panel, and (as long as you don't need the dual track functionality) change the mode to 'recognition data'. i'm pretty sure you'll be pleased at the improved responsiveness of the tablet.
    Uhh, I imagine this is for Intuos? Because I can't find it anywhere...

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezstar
    actually madster, photoshop works based on which pixel your cursor is in at any given time, rather than the exact spot your stylus is on your tablet. btw to draw a perfect straight line, you just need to hold down the shift button.
    You are absolutely right, Gezstar, but when I'm drawing a curved line for a 300ppi printjob, that line has to be "straight", i.e. NO jaggies that you get drawing at lower magnifications. Let's just say you draw with a steadier hand if the magnification is cranked up... With a "teeny" tablet, you have to lift your stylus every 3 seconds to draw a line at 300% enlargement. With a 9x12, your hand can draw a bit before you have to hold down the space bar to move the image over to continue...

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this may be offtopic but anyway:
    This company is selling wacoms cheaper if you are a student (or teacher).

http://www.journeyed.com/home.asp
    http://www.journeyedeurope.com/selectCountry.asp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gezstar: That's a pretty interesting hint. I'll make sure to put it to use when I get my tablet!

Zaknafain: Thanks for the links! I haven't decided where I'll be ordering the tablet from yet but I'll keep that site in mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought my wacom 6x8 there and it came today. It's just so big. Didn't know that 6x8 is that big. Now I have to paint with my whole arm instead of just making strokes with my hand.

ITS SOOO BIG!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm... That's what I was trying to avoid, Zaknafain. What resolution are you running on your monitor?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can someone tell me the difference in the Intuos 2 and the Intuos 3? I'm looking to buy a tablet, probably off of Ebay, and I was wondering if the a new Intuos 3 would be a better deal in the long run over a used Intuos 2....thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1024*768

Its a small monitor, I know, but I can't afford any bigger.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have to use your whole arm when painting on your 6x8 at 1024x768 then maybe I should get the 6x8 so that I don't have to do that. I mean, using a 6x8 at a resolution of 1600x1200 would require that you use smaller strokes right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, your supposed to draw/paint with your whole arm, not your wrist. I just ordered a 6x8 today, and what I did was draw a 6x8 and a 4x5(for your 9x12) square and see which one I liked better. As you probobly figured out already I liked the 6x8. You should try doing that. Oh, and also about the stroke size, you can make it as long as you want, you just have to zoom in/out to change how big your actual stroke is on the screen.

Leave me something at my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Better to draw with your arm, less repetitive stress sydrone that way... of course there is always tennis elbow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mavrick71/Idiot Apathy: I see what you mean. I guess maybe I do use my arm more than I know when drawing... you know, one of those things you don't realize how much you use until you think about it.

Mavrick71: That's a good idea for determining the size I should look for in a tablet. However, I'm fairly impartial to the size of paper that I draw on so long as it's not too small (such as the 4x5). In the end if the only thing that matters between the different sizes is the available drawing space and the footprint of the tablet I guess the 6x8 would be just as good as the 9x12 for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.