Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Photorealism, Is it a good or bad thing.

Thanks

Photorealism, Is it a good or bad thing.

I've found in recent years that my figurative drawings are often confused with photography, you may think this is a good thing and maybe your goal to produce work of that standard. In terms of selling work it can have a possitive or negative effect if your work looks like photography its often overlooked or dismissed. This ability to work in such a way could be used as a possitive if the end image was in some way impossible it would make the viewer think about the subject and question its origins more.Do you work in such a way and if so what kind of reaction do you recieve about your work. The new image Old Smokies is a responce to this in that I wanted to work in a more natural way producing a piece of work thats more impressionistic.

www.sormerod.co.uk
    Last edited by uzamaki; July 6th, 2005 at 05:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    i tend to do paint in photorealism and yes, i have gotten many times people not believing it was my own work, instead insisting its a photo.. even my art teacher cant tell the difference . i havent sold any work but i can see where you may experience some negatives. perhaps this would recieve a better reception in the Lounge?

Thanks
    I'm not too familiar with the photorealist movement which began in the late 60's, but when these artists came about they had very strong intentions with their work, both political and artistic. Do some research. Read up on these artists and see what they have to say.

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/history/photorealism.html

You might also want to check out the art of Gerhard Richter
    To view the art of Dave Sheppard, please visit www.squarewheelstudio.com

Thanks
    In my opinion photoerealism should not be the goal.
    If you cant make the difference out between a painting and a photo i choose the photo, because its much cheaper and faster.

It makes no sense immitating a photo-camera

Thanks
    I think photorealisim is very intreaguing as it gives you the skill ofbeing able to see exactly every aspect of the picture. I am new at seeing and it is a wonderful experience to notice what you have taken for granted in the past. I have always daydreamed of being a great artist while doodling when as a child and just started back drawing at the age 39. I would look at the leaves forming when spring started, I would be outside in PE class and daydream of drawing my surroundings and would see all the color and shapes, but when you learn to see, it is more than color and shapes, it's the way that the color and shapes form, come together and create all the beauty, pain, happiness, that an artist sees.

Thanks
    photorealism.. seems pointless. you will lose to a tool with a camera .. you may get one or two patrons who admire your work. The only reason I would ever conduct a photorealistic study would be just to increase my knowledge of the figure so I could manipulate it or stylize it in the future in a more educated way if I saw fit to do so.

The image you are creating is your own, you do not have to adhere to reality.

I am impressed by your abilities. Im more interested in your process than your finish peice.

Thanks
    I agree with Vaejoun the gift all arists have is to twist reality to make it better (or worse) depending on the moods and what not. So when I work I would rather make things look "real" but not photo real, and defintly not abstract. Thats my opinion.

Thanks
    shouldnt this be in the lounge?

Thanks
    Photorealism definately has its place, but it's just more limiting than anything as far as I'm concerned. For me art is creative. It was thinking that I had to copy things that made me not want to be an artist for years. What's the point? For me art is creating something fresh and interesting from your mind. Obviously your experience, and other artists, and even photographs have their place, but they should all just be in support of something that's creative. I just don't see how closely copying a picture is an admirable skill at all.

Thanks
    Is that a photo?

Thanks
    the torso drawing posted here has great anatomy and is well rendered, but it's boring. I can see it hanging on the wall at a chiropractor's office (if that's your target market, your aim is dead-on and will sell well).

on the other hand, Ocean Dreams is an excellent image. the composition is a little left of center, but it's a nice surreal fantasy image with good use of highly realistic rendering. in my opinion, I think you should do more work like that. The pet images are good, too. Way better than the average pet portrait.
    bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Photorealism, either being a good thing or bad, its going to be a personal opinion to each individual. Personally, I think photo realism needs to be pushed to new genres(in the painting and fine art worlds), I am kind of sick of seeing the same stuff, city scapes, cars, ect... In most cases, when I see photo realist work, the figures tend to be pretty bad. But that is not the case with yours. In the game worlds and new technology, photorealism keeps getting pushed to higher degrees of realism, even the fantasy stuff. Technique wise, photorealists usually have their techinques mastered. Some photorealism just needs to be a bit more creative. It would be great if photorealsim and surrealism merged together, maybe it has, I don't know of any artists that work that way. It would be cool to see a Giger peice that was photorealistic.

Thanks

photo realism

I think it is a good thing, not many people can accomplish it in their works, yes art is a creative thing but who says you cant make it creative and real seeming? there are different genres for art we have concept, realism, abstract, figure, landscape, various things but thats the thing about art, its about you and what you want to do no one else. You have a talent not many can do not even alot of professionals can do so take your talent and make use of it do not listen to others opinions as you should do what makes you happy and you defiently have a good gift

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast