IDM - #003: S.E.E. Device. -- VOTING!

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: Vote for the best design regarding the topic!

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Craig Houghton

49 74.24%
  • Uziel

0 0%
  • ambidextros

0 0%
  • Pixeldragoon

0 0%
  • Ni*

1 1.52%
  • voraz

0 0%
  • Flip

0 0%
  • Sammy

14 21.21%
  • BrainBug

2 3.03%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Project #003 VOTING!!!!

Topic:
    "S.E.E. Device";
    S.E.E. - Seeing-Eye Electronics

In the near future, Electronic devolpement will be more focused on human aid instead of entertainment. One of these electronic aids tackles the handicap of blindness. The design of this aid will have to be both functional and convenient to the user.

The S.E.E Devices will be issued from hospital, not retail stores, so the "visuals" of the device will not be the main "selling" point of the design.

The guidelines are:

The guidelines are:
    • Must be portable.
    • Must be convenient.
    • Must tackle the handicap of blindness in some way.

Deadline:
    June 30..

Posting thread (closed):
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45875

-----------------------------------------------------------

Craig Houghton

Natural Eye by S.E.E.

The idea behind this is simple -- people with devices meant to overcome problems usually want to look like everyone else, not a cyborg. Beyond that, a device can and should aim to be compact without large battery packs or interfaces stored elsewhere on the body. Natural Eye attaches to your existing muscle structure allowing free movement, and the innovative junction connector allows for seamless unity between the optic nerve and the True Sight processor. Lenses w/ motors controlled by natural muscle impulses means focusing is as intuitive as ever. The cornea can be removed easily on an outpatient basis allowing for easy maintenance/recharge visits every ten years or so. Restore Your sight Without Setting Yourself Apart!

Uziel

Echo Location viewing system.
    Technology based on bat hunting skills. By using sonartechnology, a mini processor creates a digital map of the environment and uses dopler effect to detect motion. The Images are transferred to the optic nerve giving blind people the possibility to see a surrounding in grayscale. They still can hear normal sounds because the ear part switches between normal- and high-frequency-detection very fast.
    The person can deactivate both detection systems individualy which gives him the ability to relax his eyes/ears when he wants to sleep or rest.
    The device will be available in different cool models...

ambidextros

ICCU stands for I can see you.
    The chip eyepeice is loaded into a peice of strong gause like material made from a kevlar and polyester mix. the camera is very small but as the subtext states, its a temporary meassure given out by the hospital so that the person can function. people who want better sight will have to dol out the cash at some luxury goods shop. there are no wiers to mess things up an the processors are mounted outside the body to stop the heat from killing off tissue.

Pixeldragoon

Introducing the enw Elppa (Electronics Lifting People's Physical abilities) iEye, a new breed in S.E.E. Hardware. It is a basic Sonar device that alerts the user when an object is near, using up to 16 directional speakers (when headphones are not used). The intensity of the sound depends on the distance of the object. Usually used with headphones.

Ni*
    [img]http://nirvine.250free.com/2005sps/IDotM3.jpg/img]

The unit is in three main parts, the largest being the 'peripheral' vibration plate implant on to the outer surface of the ribs just under the skin, implanted optical sensors fitted to the users eye sockets and a smaller vibration plate mounted in the back of the users throat.

A small control and diagnostic interface is mounted under the right or left arm and the power pack is concealed in the abdomen. The unit is charged while the user sleeps using induction coils mounted in a fitted belt.

The large vibration plate emits high frequency sound when the user activates the device and the sound waves bounce off local objects and the implanted optical sensors collect the reflected waves and use the information to stimulate the optic nerves. This gives the user a monochrome 'ghostly' image of their immediate surroundings. To gain more detail, the user can open their mouth slightly to release the ultra high frequency vibrations from the 'focus' plate in the throat, these shorter wavelength signals allow the user to see far more surface detail, from facial features to some users able to appreciate oil paintings and sculpture.

The sensors are covered in an organic jelly giving them the appearance of a regular eye so there is little stygma attached to the system, although some users are being labelled 'fishies' due to the required opening of the mouth in front of people.

The waves emitted are inaudible to the human ear but users are strongly encouraged stay away from some animals and due to the risks of tissue damage from contant vibrations, it is suggested that the patient slowly works up to full power and various techniques are being developed to use the mouth shape to focus the UHF waves even more accurately to give even higher detail.

Flip

This product utilises already existing senses to provide a kind of vision, without compromising on the original sense. There is no need for surgery, this product is completely standalone. The head unit generates the 3D landscape which is then sculpted, using small electromagnets, on to the chest of the user allowing them to feel the environment around them. The depth cutoff can be adjusted using a small dial positioned behind the left ear, when turned to the minimum the device switches off. This allows the user to be comfortable in outdoor and indoor environments. This device is also being developed for military purposes, giving troops a greater sense of depth perception, particularly in dark conditions, as well as eyes in the back of their heads.

voraz

The development of artificial eyes was the first widelly used method for providing vision to blind people. This system consisted in the implantation of artificial eyes, which were digital capture devices being the information encoded and passed to the optical nerve by nano-interactions between machine and nervous tissue, simulation the function of the normal eye. From its beginings in 2012 to 2018 large improvements were done, from blurry vision to great vision systems. The later included several optional extras: video and data recording, data transmission, wirelless or cable comunication, access to virtual operating systems and internet, night vision, and more. Many people started using this system even without eye problems since it provided a better viewing system than the “natural one”. This however had several drawbacks: didn’t solve blindness in people in which it was not caused by “faulty eyes” but from brain incapacity to understand the input, injury due to protesis rejection or mechanical damage of the organic tissues was also common. The development of the central digital data receiving/transducing neural beta card, later called “digipiphany”. This mechanism used a mix of nanotechnology and pluripotent undiferentiated cells, which were used to create a new organ in the brain- the “digicortex”- which allowed the brain to receive and understand digital input- this brought much greater implications than just vision and has changed everybody’s life forever- allowing for the development of virtual telepathy through wirelless comunacation without the need of actual speaking and listening. Has expected this technollogy has allowed the cure of great part of blindness diseases and by 2024 had also become the new standard data input. However this is a system that still has a lot to develop, still 2,21% of the people cannot develop correctly the digicortex, and about 0,54% die from the surgery or from post-surgery complications, while 0,32% become catatonic- other survive but are never capable to develop the digicortex. Most of the reasons for this to happen are still unknown, but nowadays people without digipiphany are regarded the same way as blind people in the past and can never get a important job or status in society due to “technological incompatibility”.

Sammy
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...tachmentid=938
    SEE --- is the multitask adaptation of the contemporary walking stick.

20+ strobing lasers (mounted within the front and side of the mechanism) vibrate to relay a simple tactile projection of the nearby area.
    By sensing sudden changes in landscape, the SEE can communicate these to the blind user by use of gyration feedback.

for example: Grass off the sidewalk can be sensed by the scanning-lasers when beams of light strike the blades and gain the abstract 'texture' information ----- this is then communicated to the user by means of a slight 'tug' from the center gyration 'ball'.

By means of GPS-map tracking the SEE can communicate turns, stops, angles, and changes in path by rhythmicly 'tugging' communications to the user ----- not only that, but the GPS-map has a direct link to "ONSARS" new security service. Speaker and Mic on the handle can allow for emergencies to be adressed.

The front mounted lasers are capable of recognizing an archive of text-fonts ---- And through translation can adapt what we see as text (from a billboard to the back of a peach-can) into brail through the use of SEE's polytactile-beaded brail "display"

The SEE, being only as heavy as the avg video-game controller, can run on a 30+hour charge through its Lythium-Ion battery.

BrainBug

The hovercam is able to float and move in the air using it's three magneto-ion engines. It's mind-controlled by it's user. Blind people get the transmitter/reciever installed in their eyeballs so they can be connected to the vision part of the brain. For military use(who also get nightvision and infrared cameras installed) a goggle was developped with semitransparant vision and mindcontrol connecters installed in the earpieces.

The quad-band transmitter/receiver uses the three main cellphone frequencies (900/1800/1900MHz) and a 5600-6800MHz adjusteable frequency.
    When using the adjusteable frequency band the maximum range between the user and the device is 25meters, using the cellphone bands the range is unlimited but transmission of images is disabled and they are recorded to the internal memory which can contain up to 4 hours of video material.

it's also usefull as a very very expensive (and floating) webcam which greatly improves interaction on the "specialized webcam sites"

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah, again the disadvantages of attachment images show...i nearly didn't see sammies entry...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Sammy because his concept was more orginal then Craigh Houghtons (who's my runner up)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sammy's idea is brilliant, but Craig's is more convinient, and with nicer detail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I'm going to offer critiques before I vote, in the hope that it will help me decide. Please forgive me if I'm too blunt.

Craig Houghton: Nice image and simple concept, those are both strengths and weaknesses. It's probably the most marketable of the concepts - the actual device very closely resembles an eyeball, but while that's practical it isn't very interesting as a design. I love your image, but I don't think the concept is there.
    Uziel: Your written concept is good, I'm not sure if it's catering towards the blind and the deaf? Unfortunately there isn't too much to your image, and while I can tell where the eye part goes, I'm really not too sure how the ear part attaches or connects, there's not enough reference to the user. A head profile would probably be enough to show it.
    ambidextros: Nice written concept. Your image shows how it works and where it sits but not how it looks, which means it's lacking as a product pitch. You need a look for the product and a finished image.
    Pixeldragoon: Nice written concept. Unfortunately the image is very simple and suffers from similar problems to ambidextros. It shows to a degree how it works, but very little else. There's very little design work, there's no development of the user end (what do the headphones connect to?).
    Ni*: I think you're going to get my vote. I really like the concept, it's very original. Your image shows where everything goes and how it works. It doesn't show what the parts look like, other than the eye, which could be deemed to be less important for parts that aren't seen. It would have been nice if you'd gone further with the image, it's your concept that really does it for me.
    Flip: What the hell are you doing drawing Vin Diesel? He's not blind you ****! And it doesn't even look like him!
    voraz: I liked your description, a nice bit of history to go with it. If you'd designed devices for easy installation then it would have been suitable to have the installation image. I think you should have concentrated your design on the digipiphany external interaction module - why do you need one, what does it do, how does the user interact with it? There's a nice general concept but the details seem to be there for the sake of detail.
    Sammy: Love the concept, it addresses the brief very well, instead of being concerned with implants. My major problem is I'm left with lots of questions as to how one uses it. I figure you probably point it where you want to go, or do you use it in a similar manner to a walking stick, and then how does that effect using the brail interface. What you really needed was the user interacting with it. However, your my tip for winning the poll. [EDIT: Just voted (for Ni*), seems like Sammy isn't the favourite ]
    BrainBug: Great written concept. The image is overly simple, if there was much in the way of design work it's hidden. Some more info on the mind control would be good as well. It really doesn't show much design.

davi: Yeah, nice job, except you need to fix the link to Ni*'s pic. Other than that I think you really came through with this one .

Overall comments
    Lots of people had cool written concepts, but they failed to effectively show them, and a lot of people forgot about the design part of it (including me). There needed to be more emphasis on how the user interacted with the product, with this brief it was particularly important.
    Before I get too negative, it was great to see the range of concepts. Hopefully the next topic will be easier to get our teeth into.

Last edited by Flip; July 3rd, 2005 at 12:20 PM.
    Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip
    Ok, I'm going to offer critiques before I vote, in the hope that it will help me decide. Please forgive me if I'm too blunt.

Flip: What the hell are you doing drawing Vin Diesel? He's not blind you ****! And it doesn't even look like him!
    Where does he say it is him?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of the entries were slightly too rough for my taste.
    I chose Craig's because it looks like an honest-to-god advertisemen.

By the way, Flip, I like the way you painted that guy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice stuff.
    I loved Craig Houghtons' illustration but voted for Brainbug due to the concept.

Nineve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nineve
    Really nice stuff.
    I loved Craig Houghtons' illustration but voted for Brainbug due to the concept.

Nineve
    thanx for the gift, best one i had for my birthday (well, online gift anyway )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally I didn't even think of trying to rekindle the optic nerves. Didn't take it that literally, that's why I went for sonar.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i voted for sammy because his idea was not only drawn out well, but highly original. while craig's idea was fleshed out very well, it was the absolute easiest
    (and probably most peoples first) idea when posed with the problem of electronically curing blindness. I think creativity is a very important part of IDM,
    and an electronic eyeball was just too much of an obvious conclusion for me. It was done EXTREMELY well though craig. You are definitely my runner up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for the fantastic responses! As far as the concept goes, I'd brainstormed a good long list of ideas, some more outrageous than others, but in the end, I realized that something which allowed an individual to overcome the handicap without taking on any new ones (i.e. social) would be the way to go. If I were losing my sight, I'd sincerely hope to find Natural Eye on the market.

Thanks again everyone!

-Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm resisting the urge to vote in this since i feel that wouldn't be right. But i stamp my foot and pout that my image doesn't show in the voting thread....

I would like to have a bit of discussion in to the concepts and how they were presented, I'll comment on the ones i like the most to save a long winded post.

It's nearly impossible to assess a sci-fi concept like this since you can't condemn something for simply not working.

Craig- Nice illustration, I assume with your level of skill that it is all painted from scratch, the concept lets it down a little though, i feel you could have pushed it to a more finished level before presenting it in such a lovely way. I would have liked to see more options for the product with infra-red or zooming capabilities and an option to make it more fashionable since there are always people who don't want to look normal, something that good could be sold as a consumer product rather than a medical procedure.

flip- I love the idea of feeling an environment and the tactile vest would be cool as an augmented sense. The presentation looks a little rough and the image blends into a dark mass, dropping the body image onto a low opacity layer in PS would have made it more immediate what you were showing the viewer. There's also a couple holes in the product, does it actually solve the problem of blindness?

sammy- nice concept, i like the adaptation of the most basic solution to the problem of blindess, the white stick. The image really lets it down though, it is drawn well with detail and flair but hand that to a client or manager and you'd have them waiting for another image, it begs to be shown in use. looking at the image alone gives no idea of what it is or does, it makes a nice monorail concept though :-D

i don't want to sound harsh with these since i want this thread to be regular and popular and i really enjoyed doing some design for the first time in about 2 years. There were loads of cool ideas and the brief lent it's self to doing a nice illustration of a bionic eyeball (i did pretty much the same) so i wont mention that and i'll offer praise to those who did something different. Next time we should post more collaboratively since no one designs in isolation.

Davi- please let me know if i'm taking this too literally as a design thread, if it's more about the illustration then that's cool, but i hope it continues to be about solving a problem. Top fun though, can't wait till next one :-D

well done to everyone who entered, you're obliged to do so next month too:p

cheers

N

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Craig- Nice illustration, I assume with your level of skill that it is all painted from scratch, the concept lets it down a little though, i feel you could have pushed it to a more finished level before presenting it in such a lovely way. I would have liked to see more options for the product with infra-red or zooming capabilities and an option to make it more fashionable since there are always people who don't want to look normal, something that good could be sold as a consumer product rather than a medical procedure.
    Thanks Ni. Yes, from scratch, so to speak. I could have added zoom, image storage, infared, digital sharpening, night vision, and data overlay via bluetooth from your PDA But, since this is meant to be something "issued from hospital", one would assume that by this point that the medical profession isn't the only one with such a device.

By the time we can hook right into the optic nerve in a way that restores serious sight, all sorts of enhancements would probably be floating around. Improved senses, be they the ability to literally 'sniff' bombs with a juiced up nose or see with a degree of infared overlay, would probably be in the hands of the military already. The commercial market, to a greater or lesser degree, would also have all sorts of devices.

But, since this is a medically targeted ad, I figured it'd be tacky to list off things I could read off the box of a digicam. It's a device for the disabled w/ a 'natural' marketing angle. If the device is a digital imaging system of some sort, all kinds of programming could and would be in there. What concerned me would be those things that you could see just by glancing at the design. That's why there's an optional dual lens. The dual lenses allow 'analog' or real zoom instead of just digitally enhancing the image. If I mentioned the zoom (or computer overlay or infared -- anything Best Buy'ish) I'd be opening myself up for a long list on the ad, and given the target audience, it didn't seem like a good idea.

-Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is so much fun, whens the next one???

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.