Art: Israel vs Syria
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Israel vs Syria

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Israel vs Syria

This is my Star Wars style cover I just finished. It's supposed to be for a game that involves a war between Israel and Syria. To be honest, I don't know much about the game, but they wanted that "Star Wars" look to it.

I'm pretty happy with it, but I know all the good folks here will point out all the stuff I need to fix. At least there's no black lines this time.

Last edited by jfwalls; July 3rd, 2005 at 12:53 PM. Reason: I tweaked a couple of things people mentioned
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice coloring..i really like it!
    good job!

If there is water, that means there is oxygen, if there is oxygen that means we can breathe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the simplicity of the way you handled the jets and the smoke behind them. I think the composition needs some work, there is alot of empty space. You could probably crop off a half an inch or more off the top, compared to this images here. For the most part the composition isnt bad, its just alot of empty space.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't tell who's who. Are those the Israelis, or the Syrians? You could be a big flag in the background or something to identify what's happening.

Nice rendering, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aa silly wars and silly humans . nice colors tho.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerD
    I can't tell who's who. Are those the Israelis, or the Syrians? You could be a big flag in the background or something to identify what's happening.

Nice rendering, though.
    I second you. I'm from Israel and i can't even tell who's who :p
    I'd clearify that david star ( if that is a david star )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The 3 standing characters lean to the left and the one on top has a weirdly sickly skin tone. I like the little tank scene in the middle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sik-styles: Thanks man!

Matt Smith: Again thanks! The exhaust trails were the last thing I did on the image because I couldn't decide how to do them. The space at the top is for text.

Parker D: My client didn't really seem to want any definate markings to show the two sides, but I do agree that some type of flag or symbol would help. Maybe I can see if I can talk them into it.

Mort: Thanks Mort. I agree about the silliness of it.

Haikiu: Yeah, I snuck a little star of david on the first guy's headband. The 2 on the right are Israeli, the other 2 on the left are Syrian.

qitsune: I guess they do lean a little. I dont know, is that really bad? I guess that top guy's skin is a little odd. I think I'll tweak it to match the others a little more.

Thanks for all the crits everytbody!!

Last edited by jfwalls; July 3rd, 2005 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A few crits...

I saw this, and had to drop a few crits. Before I do, let me admit up front that you are MUCH better at painting than I am. Your rendering on the Israeli soldier is particularly choice.

Having said that, there's a few problems I can see. Take em for what they're worth.

First off, the purple background doesn't seem to work. It muddies up the halo of light around the sun, which in turn makes the sun seem pale, which in turn screws with the skin-tones of the guys. According to my artist wife, it might be because the two colors contrast too much; she suggests using something more monochromatic, like red, which might also go further to suggesting desert heat.

The halo itselfis also really uneven; the halo reaches all the way across to the left side, but suddenly jumps sharply to grey-green a much shorter di8stance to the right. it probably wouldn't be that bad if the jump weren't so sudden, but again, yellow, purple, and grey-green really aren't what come to mind when I think of the desert sun...

Second, people. Suit man looks good, as does Crewcut on the right; oddly enough, I had the suit pegged as the israeli. Nothing to complain about.

The soldiers are not so good. 90% of what makes a soldier look like a soldier is his gear and his uniform; without either one, these two are left looking like your average down-on-their-luck thugs. I'd *strongly* suggest studying some good military reference pics, both for the soldiers and for their guns. Offhand, I'd recommend www.militaryphotos.net ...whatever you need, they've probably got it.

For the Israeli, a quick look here will probably save you some headaches.

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/album43

The above is an archive of images from the Israeli/Palestinian conflict; pics of IDF troopers, mostly. A quick browse through the images should give you plenty of reference for uniforms and weapons. Speaking of which, the Israeli's weapon is cartoony enough to look seriously out of place. you've clearly got the rendering skills to do much better, and the M16 isn't a particularly difficult weapon to draw; I'd grab up some good references, and try again.

You did a much better job on the Syrian's AK, but the Syrian himself suffers. He looks like he's been hitting the twinkies kinda hard and forgot to comb his hair, and probably doesn't go out in the sun much; in short, more like a night-shift janitor than a front-line trooper.

His pose is really stiff, and almost identical to Suit Man above him. While it works for suit man, the soldier's standing legs together, back straight, with his arm cocked out in front of him for no apparent reason other than to display that (admittedly quite lovely) rifle. That AK probably weighs a good nine pounds loaded, but his pose suggests he's actually leaning INTO it. It doesn't help that he appears to be toppling over to the left.

militaryphotos.net should have you covered for soldierly reference; if you need some help with guns, I'd recommend http://world.guns.ru

...Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the Israeli suit man reminds me a bit of Sharon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did you use any ref for this?

If not then it might be an idea - its the faces that are killing this for me - they look like caricatures to a degree (maybe this was your intention?) - all the eyes look the same plus the guy with the black collar behind the tanks ear looks rather odd too. All the flesh tones look rather brown aswell - but maybe thats just me. The guy holding the AK-47s body looks far too small compared to his head too.

Nice rendering and the lighting is pretty nice too.

Id have to agree about the comp aswell - id think about that aswell.

cheers

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.