High Heat

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: High Heat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

High Heat

Another piece to work on my digital painting, I intended to be reminiscent of those great old pin-ups of the 40s and 50s. I intend to go in tighter and work out the grass, maybe add in an old manual scoreboard in the background. Any crits or advice, especially on how to improve the foreground figure, are greatly appreciated.

High Heat

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    She looks horribly sunburned, ouch. The mound also looks like a sacrifical mound covered in the blood of the innocent. Ok that may have been a bit much but unless my monitor is completely out of whack or I've just been struck colorblind, everything is a bit toooo red.

Also I don't see a real lightsource, or rather I see a few different ones, except on the face which seems a bit flat.

You know, maybe it's just the other reds that make her look sunburned.

Anyways, I'm just rambling at this point, hope I helped...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know she would be moving but anyhow, she would fall on her face, her feet are not under her center of gravity at all. If you start a vertical line from her feet (since they are together) you will see what I mean, her butt is over her feet, and her entire torso is to one side.

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out this site, or this one. It might give you a better idea of tweaks you need to make by looking at similar type works.

More than anything else, this piece just looks flat. Like a cartoon with a bit more shading colors added, but not really an illustration. Also, the shirt wouldn't hang like that. The armhole would not simply lower as she bent, especially with the weight of her braless breasts. It's a nice fantasy piece, but too cartoonish and overly stylizied without enough realistic details to encourage the viewer to "suspend belief."

~M

Last edited by madster; July 2nd, 2005 at 09:02 AM.
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! I appreciate you guys stopping by to look and taking the time to comment.

Idiot Apathy: You're right about the mound, it needs to be a lot lower and more of a sandy color. As for her skintone, I saw those kinds of orangey shades in a piece I liked and tried to go with them. I'll revisit both of your suggestions for sure.

qitsun: Her balance is something I hadn't given much thought to. I was trying to show her in the beginning of her pitching motion, which I wanted to be like the old, exaggerated motions: lean way forward, lean back for a super-high leg kick, etc. It looked right to me, but it gets hard to be objective after staring at it for so long. I'll look for some more ref to see if I can improve her balance.

madster: What do you think is the main failure of the piece? The over-stylization of my original lines or the painted colors? I'm not quite sure if you meant details like the armhole, etc, or the anatomy as whole.

Appreciate the help all, I'll be going right back to the drawing board!

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Undefeated
    madster: What do you think is the main failure of the piece? The over-stylization of my original lines or the painted colors? I'm not quite sure if you meant details like the armhole, etc, or the anatomy as whole.
    From a personal POV, everything as a whole, but from a subjective POV, the details like the shirt, the glove, the petit wrinkles in the shorts, etc.

The anatomy is worst on her left shoulder. It is too rounded and swollen - looks like someone smacked it with a bat. Her overall length is too tall (8 head lengths from top to toe), with the upper legs the chief offender. Her lower arms are too short, and her ankles are basically non-existant.

It's still a cute concept, and I'm sure the scoreboard background will help.
    Look forward to your next revision!

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually if you unbend her legs but keep her upper leg at the same angle, it would bring her feet under her center of gravity. It might not be the way to do it but I hope you get my point, which is: you can bend over as much as you want, but keep your feets under your center of gravity. So the more she bends, the more her butt sticks out.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.