Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe, unique characters you have here.
    it doesn't look like you know anatomy INSIDE AND OUT, but the well expressed forms definitely help hide that. the palettes you used are kind of boring and, well, overused. other than that, great stuff! keep it up-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like them. Knowing anatomy has little bearing on the more oddball character designs. I think you have the muscle structure down pretty well, and it's your choice how big to make certain parts. I mean, theyre your character designs, you have the power to make the parts look however you want, and not be accused of not knowing anatomy like every other joe does. Unique, to me, is not doing what everyone else does.

Portfolio and website coming soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quite to the contrary man... I've had 3 years of anatomy and life drawing. But thanks for the input. And yes, since they are fictional characters of unknown origins I did decide to push the anatomy into a different direction as well. As for your comments on color pallette... well... heh heh... I'll just leave that one alone.

I think it's odd that you would critique the anatomy so intensely and rather harshly I might add... No one ever questions the unique and rather fictional anatomy that comic book artists create and those are characters based soley on human anatomy... everyone just accepts it.

A few paintings...

A few paintings...

A few paintings...

A few paintings...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, those figure studies are absolutely beautiful. and i do like the character designs...even if the poses are a tad boring. great rendering of muscles under the skin.

-dan

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    talk softly and carry a big stick.. heh

nice anatomy studies.. that first one is puuuuuurdddy..

The dinky emaciated arms on your creatures with the thick torsos is a bit of a visual shock. Propably what you were aiming for so Congrats.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice pics man, really awesome stuff...

anatomy is off? lol I think not, keep smokin' that shit man!

I don't pray because I don't want God to know where I'm at.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like them, and I certainly wouldn't have put any question of anatomical knowledge so strongly.

I do think you avoided treating the hands with the same degree of love and attention as the rest of the images -- the right, staff holding hand of the first minotaur seems particularly flat, and the hands of the second minotaur seem to be rendered in a different, more simplistic style than the rest of the image. I'm not convinced the horns should be sitting on that one's head that way, either, or that the far horn should be in front of the staff/weapon.

The life drawings are particularly beautiful.

Good work!

~R

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

mew mew mew

these are all very beautiful, I especially love the character designs, people must keep in mind these are not humans nor animal so their skeletons and muscles do not apply to our ideas of anatomy, you are very strong in anatomy but with your first life drawing of the woman with the cloth (very nice piece) her jaw seems a bit off, like its either too hard a line youve used to define it or its either too sharp or too pointing out, I can not quite put my finger on it, maybe she just had an odd shaped jaw in real life, whom knows, very nice would like to see more

just a edit to my post I noticed after the women I commented the other woman knealing down, the leg she is sitting on not the one thats grounded with the foot, the knee bone seems abit too large and square, no matter how many years we study anatomy we can always learn more,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn fine work. I dig the creatures and I have to say I love the painterly feel of that third one. The yellow reflective light is handled very well imo. Also- beautiful figure drawings/life drawings. I aspire to be that comfortable with anatomy. Again, very nice work.

Chronicles of Dust
    www.tgfxcrew.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks guys. Thanks for the much more constructive critiques... I appreciate it and some very good points are made. Especially when I look more closely at some of the things pointed out.

Sems, the first figure drawing piece was actually from the view point of sitting on the floor looking slightly up at her. She was also standing on the floor so the perspective wasn't very drastic or particularly noticeable. So it created some weird effects to the drawing. Everytime I look at that particular drawing I always wish I would have stood up or at least pushed the perspective more. The 'girl' kneeling is actually a guy...heh heh.. he was a hippy, in to yoga and all but a great model.

I see what you're saying about the attention to the hands too, rpace. Very good point. And I can kinda see what you're saying about the poses but I didn't want these characters to be all action posed since they are a bit older in their years and rather cumbersome in their stature. The juxtaposition of the arm size and the body size was indeed intentional... I just like playing with extremes like that... My style has always been refered to in the game industry as "cartoony" and I am fine with that now. Before it really used to bother me... but that's just the style I like...more exhaggerated and simplified. But I digress...

Thanks again folks. That was much more the input I was hoping for.

DBeck
    www.dannybeck.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are some beautiful colors you have going on there. Geeze.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your blending , vary nice.

"As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,
    Promissing pictures here. (and a good sense of anatomy, though there are some issues in these pencil studies... but anatomy is something we will all work for our whole life... )
    I also like the subtile color scheme of the blue character.
    Some remarks about textures : every materials look a bit the same ; add some glossiness, for ex., to these leather parts, to make it more shiny than the fur. it will add some variety to your chars look.
    Bye.

= W A N D E R E R =
    C O M I C B O O K A R T I S T

++ FLESH AND FOAM ++

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctis
    I also like the subtile color scheme of the blue character.
    Some remarks about textures : every materials look a bit the same ; add some glossiness, for ex., to these leather parts, to make it more shiny than the fur. it will add some variety to your chars look.
    Bye.
    Very good point. That has always been something I have struggled with and I am sure I could some of those variations if I were to mix media a bit more. I just never remember to, I almost always end up using the same brush throught the entire painting. It's a process of experimentation that I sometimes just don't have the patience for I guess... I do a drawing I want to paint and get so eager to see it finished that subtle details like material texture fall by the wayside. Thanks!

DBeck
    www.dannybeck.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy ish! what?! don't know anatomy!? only someone who really knows anatomy can really push things the way you have done sir. these are fucking great and refreshing to to the eyes. great style you have there.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.