Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast

Thread: Phantasmagoria : Jason Snair's Sketchbook : Updated TODAY!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    I admire your ingenuity to saturate color keeping a very soft feeling in your pictures.
    Excellent work!
    Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Sourgasm: Thanks. I do plan on going back and finishing it, though. It was done in oils...and half way thru painting I realized something wasn't working. The colors were just a bit off from what I had intended...and I needed some better reference. Hopefully I'll get back to it soon.

Clochette: Wow. Thank you.

Update on Gothic Queen. Just laying out colors and forms still. It's a bit on the dark side...I need to pull out her form some. She sinks in too much into the background.
    My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

Thanks
    I love looking at your work dude. You have an inspirational style.
    "Good art is just the basics done really well over and over again." - Jonathan Barker

Watch out for the dream killers. They'll tell you to quit, they'll say you'll never make it, they'll say you're crazy, they'll say they have your best interests at heart... And if you listen to them they're right.

Website

Thanks
    Jonny Dark: Thanks dude.

Here's the final on the Gothic Queen.

Thanks
    Hey dude, I really like a lot of your stuff.

This most recent finish though, still feels a little unresolved for me. A lot of the marks in the background read more as flat sketched in color and any real depth or atmosphere. I also feel like having the same range of warm-to-cool on the figure as on the background flattens it a little. I can appreciate that the figure is reflecting the light of her surroundings, but i wonder if you can do that while making the figure more cool and the BG more warm, or vice versa. I dunno, something to consider, but I know sometimes i feel like when I'm done, I'm done, and I just hafta move it along.

So, how is that Illustration Masterclass?? I really would like to go, possibly as soon as next summer, and I'd love to get an honest opinion on the program! How many students attended this summer? Is everyone attending top-of-game up-and-coming talent? Worth the tuition?

See you around man.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to McLean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey man, the robin hood piece for the master class turned out great, did you work on it any more after the workshop? Dont know if you remember me but i was the one sitting in front of all the greg manchess paintings and sitting in the comfy chair. I agree with McLean that the background isnt resolved enough and it just looks unfinnished. Also the figure looks a little like she is floating and not standing on the ground. Sweet work man, hope to see you at the master class next year.

McLean-since I went to the master class too i thought i would give you my feelings on it. I thought it was the probably the best artistic descision i have ever met (even more than going to art school) you cannot belive how much i learned there. the tuition was worth every penny (some people said the workshop paid for itself by the second day!) there was about 70 students and the talent and age ranged greatly, I was one of the yougest people there at age 22, there were some people that were 50. if you have a passion for art then i strongly recomend this workshop.
    Blog: My Blog

Thanks
    Hi Jason, awesome updates since I've been here! Really love the inquisitor piece.
    here's my DA account. S
    http://merlkir.deviantart.com

and here's my sketchbook! check me out if you like concepts of soldiers and warriors of all sorts.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90214

Thanks
    McClean: Wow...thanks for the comments. I think you might be right actually. I did have another background layer where I played around with defining the background elements, but chose to leave it off because it just got too distracting. I really wanted to focus on the figure. Butttttttt, you might be one to something with the cool/warm relationship. I think I will work on the more...and still define the background more. At ComicCon, the biggest thing people told me was some of my pieces look 97% done. So I just need to push them just a bit more finished...and I plan on it.

The masterclass was amazing. It was so much fun and so informative. If they do it again, I'm totally signing up again. It cost $1700 for classes and room and board, plus 3 meals a day. Not bad, considering you get a week of classes taught by some of todays best illustrators. The students ranged from just starting out/beginner in oils, to working professionals (one guy worked in animation for Warners Bros...and worked on Iron Giant and the Matrix) So there was a good range of talent.

MissingLink: Hey, I do remember you. I didn't really have time to finish up Robin Hood. Between class and work and getting ready for ComicCon...I just didn't have time. I did, however, overlay some color in photoshop...just to harmonize the color and temp. I plan on doing it completely over, once I get some free time.

Merlkir: Thank you, man. Glad you stopped by.

Thanks
    Awesome stuff. The last one has a few issues with the leg anatomy, but the costuming is da bomb.

Thanks
    Mr Doom: Yeah, I think I see that now....it's kinda bent outward a little too much.

Here's this week's chow: Blood Moon Monk. I think with this topic, we're going to get a lot of similar entree...but I'm just going to go for something 95% cool looking, 5% original.

Thanks
    The monk looks like it's going to be interesting. I've seen your stuff in a lot of CHOWs; your characters have a very distinctive upper-class look to them, and I think the way that contrasts with your costume choices and character attitudes is always fun to see. Good luck on the CHOW this week!

Thanks
    Senira: Thank you!

Just a little update: A friend of mine and I are putting together a book of villains. We started a blog to set up challenges every few weeks. Check it out - artgasmchallenge.blogspot.com

This week's challenge is to come up with a villain concept for a Boss and Assistant. Here's what I came up with. Going for underworld arms manufacturer. He's the guy that other villains go to get their crazy, diabolical weapons made. Need a spiked mace that leaks poisonous gas. Go to him. Need a gauntlet that also serves as repel line. This is your guy.

{I haven't done his assistant yet...but right now I'm gearing towards making that character his daughter. Plan to paint it this week. Update to follow}

Thanks
    doesn't look very evil or creative, breathe some life into him

Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1