View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bens Big Book of scraps.

-edit- new update Sept 8 2005
    -edit- small update 10/13/2005

Hi all!!!

Recently I've had a little more free time away from work and been inspired to get off my lazy ass and actually keep a sketchbook and do more exparamental work in general. I'm happy with my progress but frustrated by my lack of motivation... some days I just get writers block or artists block or whatever and can't render for crap... other days it just flows... these are from those days.

Crits welcome. These are supposed to be exercises so if you want to suggest a direction I might go to improve my work by all means speak up.

Bens Big Book of scraps.
    The first of three self portraits I did to rip off android... hehe I mean, uh, to mimick the practices of the master artists of the renaissance, yes that's it.

Bens Big Book of scraps.
    Number 2. All these were done in under six hours, I wanted to flesh it out but keep it quick so I could try a couple different styles before I lost motivation and moved on to some other idea.

Yes I'm making a silly face. I want to study the full range of facial movement as much as I can, both for 3D animation and for 2D sketching I think it holds a lot of merit to try studys where people aren't doing that "I'm sitting here for a portrait" face.

Bens Big Book of scraps.
    Number 3. Another departure from my usual style.

Bens Big Book of scraps.
    OK now into my realworld sketchbook... sadely the best part of this page was drawn right up against the spine of the book so it didn't scan well and looks horribly unbalanced and clipped. Oh well.

Bens Big Book of scraps.
    Random stuff.

Bens Big Book of scraps.
    Hey there's a Zoo nearby my new home, woohoo!

Bens Big Book of scraps.
    I like the facial expression here, and the pink is highlighter which looks nifty IRL but dull here.

Bens Big Book of scraps.
    So far nobody I've shown this too looks closely enough to notice the demon's cock is hanging out. Makes it way creepier.

Bens Big Book of scraps.
    One of the few times I've intentionally distorted proportion and been happy with the result.

Well that's it. Hope you liked 'em, and if not then let the crits fly my friends.

Last edited by Ben Shore; October 13th, 2005 at 03:10 PM.
    Ben Shore
    -Success is getting what you want, Happyness is likeing what you get-

Sketchbook!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love that demon! really really solid sketch.

-dan

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are fantastic! The demon... I did not notice either... you win, sir.

Very awesome, I like the colors and poses and angles you use, so obviously your stuff on a "bad" day can't be so bad!

The 5th upload, of the random sketches, not suree if you meant to, but the face in the bottom left corner is all out of alignment. Even if that was your plan, it still doesn't look right, like it's not abstract enough to look right, but it's not anatomically proportional and correct to look right either. Another little thing I noticed on the last image of the girl is her left eye is higher than her right, gives her kind of a crazed savage look, which with the tattoos works nicely if you touch it up! On the demon, his weapon has, I'm guessing, blood on it, in pure black and bright red, this distracts away from the demon itself, and also looks kind of out of place with the other smoother colors, probably because it's ink and the rest is colored pencil. Hope these critiques aren't overwhelming!

These are great and I plan to study these a little further after this post, so welcome aboard the sketchbook section and please keep posting!

Ian

Last edited by IanE; June 24th, 2005 at 09:41 PM.
    Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great start to a sketchbook. dont care for the digital portraits though. i hope you post more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really interesting style, definately like what I see so far. And yeah, I didn't notice the demon's junk either until I read that at the bottom of the drawing... and yes it is definately creepier now.

Also, where did you get that sketchbook with the toned paper? I've been looking for one for some time now, but none of the stores around here seem to have them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ExilE
    Also, where did you get that sketchbook with the toned paper? I've been looking for one for some time now, but none of the stores around here seem to have them.
    I just got it at an art store in Austin, the one before that I got in Sarasota, usually if you look around you can find one, and if not I'm sure you can order 'em online.

Ben Shore

Sketchbook!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dang, that stuff is great! Cool self-portraits! Under 6 hours you say? Still, you have good patience, buddy. Keep them coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More updates Sept 8 2005

Hi all! Here's another dump of sketches, I've been doing alot of anatomical study. The stuff that's pure anatomy is freehand from reference in anatomy books (so they're drawings of drawings, which hurts me, but until I get some real bones and dead people it'll have to do for practice). The other stuff is just out of my head, I've been reading up on color theory and design as well so that's been a partial focus.

Bens Big Book of scraps.

My favorite of the bunch. Just fun. I like cat people

Bens Big Book of scraps.

This was an outline first and a fleshed out character second. IE focus on design, it's a pretty quick sketch.

Bens Big Book of scraps.
    Bens Big Book of scraps.
    Bens Big Book of scraps.
    Bens Big Book of scraps.
    Bens Big Book of scraps.
    Bens Big Book of scraps.
    Bens Big Book of scraps.

and dats all just shtuff out of my sketchbook. Can't think of anything else worth adding. Enjoy! comments/crits welcome as always.

Ben Shore

Sketchbook!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Liking the jumping kitty piece alot! reminds me of a local comic i loved. Hehe, im havin to do copies of anatomies too. What a pain drawing ribs, but completion brings alot of satisfaction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah those ribs are a bit weak in my sketch, the spaceing is tricky (and yeah what a pain).

Been meaning to get a skeleton to draw from but I can't find a good one for under $800, anyone know of a decent source for such a thing? Doesn't have to be lifesize as long as it's anatomically correct...

Ben Shore

Sketchbook!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice loose expressive sketches. i like the tormented harpy-looking dame, and the colors on the second self portrait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ben,

Nice work man good to see you're staying proactive about improving your drawing and painting skills.

I really like that you are mixing up creative doodling with drawing from life. You will find that the more you do that the more you will be able to problem solve quicker and more efficiently with your imaginative work. I say this alot, but in order to do good imaginative drawing you have to spend some period of time learning how things work and are built (especially anatomy). The more you learn from life the more you can apply those solutions to new creative crap that you're winging out of your head.

anyway- maybe too heady, but your work is improving dramatically and that's all that matters.

Keep at it

John

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been doodling rather alot recently and don't feel like scanning it all and cropping out the stuff that doesn't compleately suck just now. In the meantime here's a color sketch of a... um... neked elf... with a tail.

Enjoy!

Bens Big Book of scraps.

Ben Shore

Sketchbook!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I put this one in finally finished too but I feel like it belongs here cause it started as a sketchbook doodle... actually I find that most of my finished pieces (well, the non-professional ones) are re-worked from my sketchbook, any of you guys work like that or do you usually start a finished piece from scratch??

Bens Big Book of scraps.

Bens Big Book of scraps.

Ben Shore

Sketchbook!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, last one, is really comin together, nice fog elements, dunno about the orbs, but like the light they give off. and if they're behind him , they might give him a little stronger back light, really outline the top silouhette. keep rockin chief.

"We're kinda like 7-Eleven, we're not always doin' business, but we're always open."

www.one-lung.com
    Character Artist

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.