Art: the natural way to draw
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

the natural way to draw

i have been using the book "the natural way to draw" by Kimon Nicolaides, for a little while and am just wondering if anyone else has used it. And what their thoughts on the whole concept is. And what the book exactly did for them as an artist. I ask because the book is much different from other drawing books.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im using it.. Im still on the second chapter..its a lot of work and yes it has helped me "feel" more my drawings..also i has developed my sense of touch when drawing from life using his blind contour drawing..it pushes you to look..feel the gesture, weight..im not far in the book,second week hehe.. I read it all (should not have,but im impatient)..It has a good approach.., Im reading other books..too help me overall and doing all this stuff (painting,drawing my own way,etc) at the same time..but i do plan to finish it though..I love his thinking and understand his concepts..this books helps you but i think it is a more advance for an artist that feels confortable drawing..and have an idea of perspective..and the other artistic concepts..Its really a good book on transforming you into a more sensitive artist..thats my opinion..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good refresher on gesture and contour. I never got much out of the "weight" and modelled drawings. I prefer drawing shade and highlights, which Nicolaides didn't encourage. Nicolaides delves into memory drawings and writes that nothing is more important than doing the memory compositions everyday. I never got to the drapery and later exercises. Nicolaides has a little on subjective drawing, which I'm interested in. A very ambitious and important book.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great book- the only one I know of that has a practical method of developing the tactile feeling part of drawing, which lots of other books usually only give lip service to if they mention it at all (some schools of drawing say you don't need it, but I often feel the thing that's missing in the *students* of such a school is this understanding, which the teachers developed at some earlier point but never passed on to their students because they took it for granted by the time they were teaching). The book is not complete in terms of what there is to learn in drawing, of course, but it's a good starting point, and probably the most practical art book I've encountered in terms of how it's planned out, though a bit tedious to do on your own (only know a couple people who have made it all the way through, and I think because they were teaching from it). I find I come back to some of the exercises every couple years to re-establish some of the ideas in this book.

Use it, learn everything you can from it, and complement it with other books, talking to other artists, and your own experience.

Members who have read this thread: 2