Art: John Sargent copied painting
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

John Sargent copied painting

"Nude Egyptian Girl" is one of my faviorte Sargent paintings, and so I decided to do a replica of it so I can have it hanging on my wall.

It took about 2 dozen sketches before I could draw it like Sargent's original. I painted a small rough draft of it, recognized the hard parts (the face and butt), and did small draft paintings of both the face and butt. Then I did the final replica painting on a large 18x48 canvas, which I was able to do the whole thing in just 6 hours. Some parts of it are still unfinished (the hands and feet particularly.

It's not even half of Sargent's quality, but please let me kow what you think of it. I am attending the Los Angeles Academy of Figurative Art in July to learn traditional portrait and figure painting in oils.

p.s. The flash from the camera lit up the middle part. It's actually black.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's pretty cool what you did! Anyway, my complaint is that her hands don't look womanly. The fingers look wide and the rest of the hands as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Hey, not too shabby, but there are a few areas I see which could use a little more work. She looks a little bit pale, but I think that's mainly from your cameras flash... her hands (as you mentioned) need some work, as does her hair/ face. Her musculature in her right leg is off, it seems a bit hefty by comparison to Sargent's. Also, her arm closest to the viewer has a bit too much of an outline. In the actual painting, the right side of her arm is defined by the shadow on her back, not just a line. Think her head might be a tad too big, not much though. All in all, for six hours worth of work, you did a pretty good job, but I think with a few more, this could be a really nice painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To me, Sargent's painting is beautiful because of the luminous skin and exquisite texture. I'm not seeing that in your painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this painting has lost all of the charm of the original there is really no excuse for getting the drawing completely wrong when all the work has been done for you by a master of the art. I see no sign that you gridded up the original for transfer. Sargent himself did this, I have reproductions of the drawings for The Museum of Fine Arts that show it clearly. If he needed to you do too!
    Here's the original just to make it clear.

Last edited by treeshark; June 23rd, 2005 at 05:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Patz, Exile:
    Thanks. That's true about the hands, too, and the shadow on the back.

Derrick & Treeshark:
    John Sargent is a tough act to follow. If it's so easy, why don't YOU give it a shot?

You didn't even offer any advice, all you wrote was, "I don't like this, I don't like that... blah blah blah." By the way, I looked at your guy's stuff... and... well... frankly you need to apply those things you said to your *own* art.

Last edited by CaptainInsano; June 23rd, 2005 at 06:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think JSS should look to give his figure better balance. Right now, it looks like she should be falling over backwards. Parker's is at least standing straight. There are subtle edge issues (especially with the legs), though. It's actually quite impressive for the amount of time. While it's not an exact dulpicate, it is nevertheless impressive, and I'm certain gave you a lot of good experience.

Nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerD
    By the way, I looked at your guy's stuff... and... well... frankly you need to apply those things you said to your *own* art.
    Oooh you beast!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the back of her knees and her unwomanly hands. Her face needs work though, and the her butt looks a bit too flat, maybe try rounding it out a bit.

mike

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nice

Although i consider it essential that artists copy others in order to raise their standards, it would have been nice to see your own interpretation of an Egytian Lady, approached using the same style/colour pallette etc. I think this is a good beginning and god only knows i suck at acrylic. lol. Would like to see it finished too..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    " Then I did the final replica painting on a large 18x48 canvas, which I was able to do the whole thing in just 6 hours.
    Thats the first problem, you don't do a sargent in just "6" hours. Honestly thats barely scratching the surface in the kind of time you need to put into that.
    And although you said its one of your favorite sargents, theres so many better sargents to copy than that one.
    And if you are going to LAAFIG, work on your drawing first, then your painting.

-tiny

Being stubborn towards humanity since 1982

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think some of you are being slightly rough on him. Its not a bad painting painting all in all (my fave part are the hands - there might a style to develop there). If he feels like doing a sargent in 6 hours, who are to say he shouldnt? Altho i agree a bit on that point - good art takes time, its still his choise and choise of copy and like doogfood said a lot of good experience.
    We each learn our own way. Good advice is well good, but judging from personal style and taste isnt really gonna cut it. Crit it for what it is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellah.
    I think some of you are being slightly rough on him. Its not a bad painting painting all in all (my fave part are the hands - there might a style to develop there). If he feels like doing a sargent in 6 hours, who are to say he shouldnt? Altho i agree a bit on that point - good art takes time, its still his choise and choise of copy and like doogfood said a lot of good experience.
    We each learn our own way. Good advice is well good, but judging from personal style and taste isnt really gonna cut it. Crit it for what it is.
    I didn't mean to sound harsh at all, guess thats just how it sounds when you can't use tone with what your saying. All I'm saying is that 6 hours just isn't enough time to really develop anything. Even someone with alot of experience already would take longer than that, especially working at that size.

-tiny

Being stubborn towards humanity since 1982

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooooo..i like it. i like it very much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didnt mean to come after you, tiny. And i for sure agree with you. Picasso wanted to do a copy (in his own way) of Las Meninas painted by Velazguez - as im sure you already know - and he used over a month to do it and painted something close to 40 pieces of it. He came out of his studio a sad man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a difference between doing a study of another painting but the stated aim here was a replica... which it falls far short of. Not that the work doesn't show talent it does, which is why I commented.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the nose is too long and the legs look wonky, but the lighting looks really good, keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by treeshark
    There is a difference between doing a study of another painting but the stated aim here was a replica... which it falls far short of. Not that the work doesn't show talent it does, which is why I commented.
    Was it? He never specified that, is this a study or a replica? Ive never heard of people making replicas as practice, I just assumed it was a study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Nude Egyptian Girl" is one of my faviorte Sargent paintings, and so I decided to do a replica of it so I can have it hanging on my wall.
    This is what I read...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You didn't even offer any advice, all you wrote was, "I don't like this, I don't like that... blah blah blah." By the way, I looked at your guy's stuff... and... well... frankly you need to apply those things you said to your *own* art.
    Everybody have right to theirs opinion, right? Maybe he dont like anything about your picture and you cant judge him for it. I is same like you sad: I dont like new Star Wars, and Stiven Spilberg sad: You can do better?

I think doing copies is great experience. Someone sad: Its better good copy than bad original

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Danilo
    Someone sad: Its better good copy than bad original
    They were dead wrong
    But its good practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your proportions are really fucked up all around.. watch out for negative spaces and don't forget to measure stuff before you actually lay down a line.. you should have done an underdrawing and aimed for proportions and form rather than detail and background/colors.. just re-do it

oh by the way i am by no way saying this is not good work, it just doesn't do it for me as a copy/study..

and dogfood: concerning the balance comment.. i guess you are kidding me aren't you in my opinion sargent's figure is really well balanced.. i don't think he would have made any mistake (not on purpose) regarding the balance of his figure.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.