MetroEast's Mighty Max Redux Version 2.0 - Updated 1-9-06

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Here is my colored Mighty Max Redesign. Not a lot changed, mostly Norman. Max is a little more of a punk.

Last edited by metroeast; January 9th, 2006 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Added a new Mighty Max concept
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Indeed!

Nice colouring on the characters, Max's legs look far too short from this angle though - even though he's a kid, I'd expect about 20-30cm more leg there. Also, the basic gradient for the grass is a little TOO basic - how about mixing it up some with splashes of shade and some rough indication of texture?

Keep it up, this is good stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All the colors seem a bit saturated for my taste, but I think the sky is what's bothering me. I agree about the grass as well, seems a little too simple, and Max kinda looks like a midget. Maybe play around with the color a little more, and re-check Max's proportions and I think you'd be good to go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks

Thank for the cirts. I got lazy with the sky and the grass. I was thinking of putting them on a cliff in the center of the earth, but I just wanted to get something up. I agree with Exile that the grass lacks texture in a big way. I will probably go back and work on it a little more.

The length of Max's legs needs to be a bit longer, but I think his hips need to be wider too. I think that is why he is looking so dwarfish.

I got to take more time with these in the future.

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the guy to the left the most. There are small little anatomy issues going on throughout.

The biggest problem for me is that the up view of Mighty Max is off. His arms and hips are in strange places. The coloring is a bit saturated (as mentioned) but it looks pretty good. But there doesn't seem to be any light source at all.

J. Christopher Schmidt
    Comic Book Artist / Illustrator
    www.artisticschmidt.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this is in the wrong section, the finished section is for intermediate to proffesional only
    That being said, i think the main problem you have is that your anatomy is way of especially on max, the legs are too short and the arms are too long. Also on the big guys face, he looks very strange, you should do some facial studies to improve your faces. This was a good idea, but it doesnt look like you changed much about max, or the owl. I dont know maybe you did, i havent watched the show in forever. Good Job and keep up the work, but maybe hold off on posting in the finished section for a while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol i almost forgot about mighty max... kool picture my crits are all with max and mainly all have been addressed. i look forward to your next post
    -dns

Ottosketch.com
    LOTR, Halo, Heroes Sketchcards from Topps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I mighty max

1. the crap behind his head makes him look like jesus/buddha from old manuscripts.
    2. don't put in background just to "have something there". plan it out as you plan out the characters.
    3. see above concerning anatomy and stuffs.

good job tho keep it upppppppp!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ArtisticSchmidt
    I completely agree with you. The hips are screwed up. I gotta work on that. Good observation.

Quote Originally Posted by phlem117
    I think this is in the wrong section, the finished section is for intermediate to proffesional only
    That being said, i think the main problem you have is that your anatomy is way of especially on max, the legs are too short and the arms are too long. Also on the big guys face, he looks very strange, you should do some facial studies to improve your faces. This was a good idea, but it doesnt look like you changed much about max, or the owl. I dont know maybe you did, i havent watched the show in forever. Good Job and keep up the work, but maybe hold off on posting in the finished section for a while.
    First of all. Believe it or not, I am a professional. I have been doing illustration, graphic design and animation for about 7 years. I admit, I am not the best illustrator in the world, but it it paying the bills. I don't think this section is limited to professionals but to all who want tough crits on works done.

That being said, I agree with most of your comments. I really didn't change much on Max or Virgil. Norman was the biggest change. I wanted him to look more like a warrior.

I think Max's hips are too narrow and you're right about the legs being too short. The arms' perspective is off too. Someone else said that the one on the right side should be coming out farther.

I will take your advice and hold off posting in this forum for a while till I have something worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohan
    I mighty max

1. the crap behind his head makes him look like jesus/buddha from old manuscripts.
    2. don't put in background just to "have something there". plan it out as you plan out the characters.
    3. see above concerning anatomy and stuffs.

good job tho keep it upppppppp!
    1. The stuff behind his head is to show the cap's power. Maybe I could have done it differently. It is interesting that you made that connection. I the old cartoon, his cap would glow whenever he opens a portal.

2. I agree. I got too lazy. I will work on this and future projects more before posting in this section.

3. I will continue to work the anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Skullmaster

Here is a Skullmaster concept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is another concept of the big three. Let me know what you guys think so far.

Max is a little older with more contempory clothes. Very casual looking.

Virgil is modeled after a philippine eagle. I wanted him to have a more serious look. I still want to keep the robes, but add some sacks to carry potions and stuff in.

Norman is more modern looking (sleeveless tee-shirt and boots), but I increased his size in relation to the others. I am sure if I should put armor on him. I want him to be able to blend in if need be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On the first one: what happened to the owl's other foot?

On the third one: Max's neck looks waay too long.

Love the way you do clothing folds, though. Great job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first one I agree with you. It looks funny when you don't see the other foot. I was trying to look like he had one foot in front of the other.

On the third one, I wanted Max to look like a skinny kid. I wasn't trying to go hyper realistic. I wanted his neck a little longer to make him appear thinner.

Thanks for the crit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ello again.
    It's me that annoying critting badger.
    More slopping on the shoulders or some more musclature if max's necks that long, i gotta agree with jesi, only a tiny bit.
    Virgil's left finger needs moving up a bit more it doesn't look like it attaches where the other fingers do.
    Otherwise VERY COOL man, immense improvement from your earlier stuff.
    Careful with the line weight from background too foreground cause you tend too loose a lot of readbility.
    I'd like too see it bigger.
    -B-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The latest drawings are much better. The biggest problem with the latest picture is that the background is far more detailed than the foreground. Details attract the eyes, so you've made the focal point way in the back of the cave. This problem is compounded by all the lines being roughly the same weight throughout the picture. Generally, the more important elements, the ones closer to the viewer should have thicker lines, and the farther back you go, the thinner the lines should get. Sort those out and the picture will be far more readable.

But design-wise I'm liking the last picture, and the one of Skullmaster. I totally loved Mighty Max, it was my favourite cartoon for years.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Norman looks MUCH better in your second draft - I'd say more but it's 2 am and I just got back from the animal hospital but but but I wanted to say THANK YOU for paying homage to one of the most well-researched and underrated cartoons of the 90's.

*passes out*

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.