Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Drawings from the back of my brain **August 9th**

Thanks
    sorry for joining the flood, but I cannot hold back....your work is truly beautiful. pure inspiration!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    IMPRESSIVE SKETCHBOOK!
    love the first 2 ones!

Thanks
    you kidding? That female body/plane study is sweet!

Thanks
    blackswordsman-haha man, you flatter me. in real life I am a broken heart with a pencil. Not much of a super power. but get me lost in a drawing, and i can be whatever I want to be. best feeling in the world. wish it wasn't so hard to get to that point of focus. i keep trying though

incognito- you guys make me feel too good about myself. You should see the way my head shrinks every time I leave this thread and put the pencil on the paper again. But I'm very glad if this stuff makes you happy. Really quite a rewarding thing to hear.

tempist- thanks! your rending skills are dope.. keep on!

Sems- Do it... no doubt you can come up with crazy worlds... imaginative drawing is all about learning to see nature in lines, forms, and conceptual space, and then learning to project those forms in the theater of your own mind.

flatliner- thanks! I had no color sense and never used it until about 3 years ago when I feel in love with a color all star... *tear* hah

codakromek- well hell. you're sketchthread is stellar. I mean just stellar. Really pumped me up. I'm going to spend plenty of time over there when I get the chance. And very insightful response. My sketchbook is in everyway a journal, it is how I record all of my thoughts. I used to keep a traditional journal but after rereading the entries I would get so bored by my words, which bothered me because I wasn't bored by the ideas. In some ways my sketchbook is straight therapy.. and often times my obsession is the cause of the problems i'm trying to sort out. vicious cycle. Love that you can pick up on those influences. I studied the earlier engravers and the northern renn. pretty extensively to try to mirror the development in sophistocation from The House Book Master, to Schrongauer, and up to Durer, of course all that filtered through my clumsy hands and pluralistic world view... and I am also rather emotional about the work of Van Eyck and his obsessive love of the process, or his "microscopic, telescopic" vision, and also Van der Goes because of his pervading sadness, Deric Bouts also for that reason.. not sure who termed the emotion of their work as "Sweet Sadness" but that is really the sort of feeling that I'm after. Love to have a dialouge and expand on this stuff later. Thanks for checking it all out!

anyone who wants their mind blown with often illegible, hyper poetic, wordy, heady, make you want to watch a reality tv show right after so that you feel less like a geek, historically opinionated research, should read Panofsky's history text on the Northern Rennaissance. He's just ridiculious, beautiful.

profil- the pages there are kind of a round trip of all the concepts that glenn vilppu was having us mull over from gesture lines, to sphere construction, to plane/box construction, to box/sphere combination... I think each page I have on there is from a different concept. They all kind of work in unison at the end. If you can get a hold of his drawing manual (think his website is vilppustudio.com) it does a much better job explaining it than I can. He is sort of in the tradition of Loomis with an interest in recreating a more classical look, if we are saying that Loomis sort of defined the canon for modern commercial figure drawing. The way that I construct figures changes depending on what I'm going after, or if I am not thinking about it, sort of reverts to kind of muddy combination of all the things I've studied. Hogarth was the first drawing book I ever owned.. i don't look at him any more but I often see his construction popping back up, though I was quite awful when I was looking at his work.

and thanks as well!

Arctis- Thank you! I passionately believe that foundations and accademic studies are essential. That alone doesn't make you a good artist, but it is the nessicary skill in our trade. I wouldn't want a doctor to operate on me without understanding the human body... similiarly I think that an artist has the same responsibility to his craft. he must completely internalize the foundation, and can never know it well enough. Of course there is also the magic of creativity that I dont think can be studied, except to study everything... because I think the real reason that any of us want to be artists is to learn to control that magic that pictures can have over our eyes and emotions.

I can see from the STUNNING worlds that you're creating, you agree. Looks like you've got your Ph.D. in Shamanism. damn that's nice stuff.

flaptraps- thanks man, you're sketchbook is ridiculious as well. too much skill around here. people should have to put their careers on the line in thunderdomes... and you know, I just won't ever enter. I have big plans.

Mrdes- Thanks!

dorian- I'm overwhelemed, makes me hate myself a little less each time I update. haha.

Icey- great book and thanks! I have stacks of those but they are packed away and I can't seem to dig them out. painful sight size method drawings.. but so much learned from doing them.

glikster- ack, celery to me. but i kind of like and hate them all.

didn't get a chance to check out all of your books.. will do soon.

Little personal life update here... I've been trying to ward off the depression of a broken heart and trying to dig a knife out of my back (treating this thread like the oprah show right now, but those who've been there will understand) and this lil thread has been one of the only things taking my mind off it and giving me a reason to work through it and pour it out onto the page. My hope is that I can find someone who doesn't mind my life is part time commericail, part time student, part time space travel, full time research, and an unpredictable pattern of fear, love, sadness, and panic. Drawing is just about the only form of calm I can find right now. Really glad you all have been around to remind me why I do this. BAH. I'm such a tool.

this one was inspired by the text line "Don't Try" which is the only thing on Charles Bukowski's grave stone, next too a pair of boxing gloves. I think it's such a beautiful paradoxical statement, and probably the damned coolest grave stone ever. Here's my take, hoping that I can get the "Sweet Sadness" to pervade my sort of cartoonish aesthetic. If none of that works for you then it can also just be a rocking frog machine with a guy in it. sometimes i wonder if I need to call my own bullshit. art is hard

Drawings from the back of my brain **August 9th**

also been paying a lot of attention to semiotics and linguistics... not so much in the modern Magritte (C'est ne pas une pipe) or the post modern modern jasper johns or raushenberg illectually heavy, technically irrelevant way... but kind of a juvenile interest in the way that words effect a picture.. and streamline, if not limit, its meaning. Was fun and interesting. kind of like the draftsman version of the breakup cd.

and this is just a fun one. a friend looking through my sketchbook recently said that she thought this was the most disturbing drawing I had ever done. I love that comment. makes me laugh. i was listening to Wilco hence the top quote.

i will be painting a lame mural for the next week and then moving to new york to get things cracking there... will post if possible-- you are all too kind and keeping me going. I also promise that next time i'll just shut up and post. hopefully surrounded by beautiful women who are feeding me grapes and shapening my pencils. you know that art fantasy. substitute "beautiful women" based on gender and preference. come on. you've thought about it.

Nic*Rad
    Drawing is a language with infinite dialects.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 469 Posts
    very nice stuff !

nothing more to say

cheers man!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks

Academic vs. Classical

This is always a great debate :::: obviously I think it is important to process a skill level that is so ingrained that it operates within your subconscious :::: your works are intriguing in there diversity:

Thanks
    nice posts - and about the healing power of art... some of the best things I've felt I've done, or the biggest progressions I've made, have been after some sort of tumult in my life. it sucks to feel so shitty, but it's good to see you using it positively. life is long and with luck you'll find happiness in it.

keep on posting, you'll keep your audience for sure.

Thanks
    damn nic- when you get here drinks on me. you could use one. Actually, sigur-ros is playing the Beacon in September...interested? that'll warm your achy heart...we'll cry all over each other.

Oh...and the NY beautiful women are around every corner...but you need a hipster haircut to get them to feed ya grapes

-oh yeah....your sketchbook is fuckn' awesome...one of my favorites.
    *:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    as promised, a shut up and post!

will get to your responses after I give a good honest update. For now I have some evidence that I truly am a multi style .

tiny watercolor studies from life, done in florence.

Drawings from the back of my brain **August 9th** Drawings from the back of my brain **August 9th**

I need to improve my brain to hand reflexes... get the line faster, less thinking, more rote physical response. no ref except for the last one, glanced at some mags on the table.

i started putting these on photobucket... bandwidth is a bitch. all for now.. should be painting but this is quite addicting.

Nic*Rad
    Drawing is a language with infinite dialects.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    NIC my man!!! always a pleasure to see your book.... I love the rocket ship one.. its fantastic... and dont worry about the broken corazon... New enivro means new beginings... We'll hang man.. Loomer and I will get you wasted in true NYC tradition!!!! You've made two friends in NYC and you havent even gotten here yet!!! No worries man the best will come.. Plus the ladies love a guy who can draw... And it gets especially nice when they ask you to draw them in the buff!!!!! as yes.. the joys of being an artist..!
    Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Good stuff dude! Yeah draw fast - its fun! Maybe use imageshack (unless you are paying for the bucketstuff) - they seem to have good bandwidth.

Thanks
    Nic, this stuff is really great man. I met you last fall when I was sort of sporatically hitting Life Force sessions but I never really saw much of your work beyond what you were working on on any given day. Been checking out you and Ram's stuff around this board and you guys are definitely setting the bar pretty high for us SCAD illustration majors. Good luck in New York man. I still got another year before I get thrown to the real world wolves.
    Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vigostar
    Loomer and I will get you wasted in true NYC tradition!!!!
    WORD!
    Vigostar knows what's up!
    *:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast