Sketchbook: Drawings from the back of my brain **August 9th**

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Drawings from the back of my brain **August 9th**

I met a few of you fine folks at the workshop in San Fran, and was floored by the talent that this community draws from. A few of you saw a handful of these drawings there, but it was not until the workshop that that I gained confidence in a possible application, or at least a community to show this work to, and since that time I have created a great deal more it. I admire so many of you that I hope these sketches can give back an ounce of inspiration for the gallons that I've hoarded from here. I recently graduated from the Savannah College of Art and Design, and spent a few summers at the florence academy of art studying classical realism. I plan to continue working freelance as I move to new york this summer, and will study with Assel, Desidaro, Wade Shuman, and others at the New York Academy. This thread is to remind and encourage me to continue with the weird, the strange, and the subconscious mumors, that live somewhere in the back of the brain. It also makes me temble to post work among so many people who's work keep me paniced at my drawing table.

As for influences it would take all day, but I owe a good bit of my life to, The ninja turtles.. mich,raph,leo, and don... durer, van eyck, bruegel, ingres, johanne liss, paul cadums... jeff markowsky, dainel graves, glenn vilppu, jacob collins... The clayton brothers, gary taxili, sterling hundley, r crumb... Kevin Lewellyn, Andrew Jones, Wes Burt, J.P. Targete, Jason Manley, Justin Sweet, Jon Foster, Dan Miligan, Marko, Insane Visions, Coro, James Kei and really the whole massive black crew and conceptart.org crowd for nurturing this thing which both makes me want to quit, and drives me harder... and also the only person I actually know on these boards, my archnemisis and best friend in a lot of ways, rambhat---and last for now, the reason I am probably still doing what I'm doing and haven't surrendered to look for a graphic design job, and who's work ocassionaly makes me cry and I can't explain it... James Jean.

most of those people have no idea who I am... sorry to name drop. heh.

now to the work damn it. starting with traditional stuff, I have a bunch of these from florence. these are the nicer ones:
    Drawings from the back of my brain **August 9th** Drawings from the back of my brain **August 9th**
    oil on linen

now to the strange ...the basic process is a drawing made over an abstract design that I lay down first with tria refills (thanks coro) and then perhaps ink or acrylic, or whatever I can find so I'm not repeating myself, and then that same spirit of experimentation in photoshop...

used ref for 2 of the heads. 95% of these are imaginative or drawn from life and then skewed. Though occassionally I get excited about pictures in magazines.

an oldie. the girl who posed taught me 90% of what I know about color and is unnaturally talented. She put up with me for a very long time, though I am basically a socially autistic sketchbook junkie.

some more stuff to come soon. need to transfer files onto this computer. Alot of these are from my site, you can see some more there and also some of the more commercial nonsense that I've done. Comments, critques questions all appreciated. Please send help. I love all of you.

Nic*Rad

Last edited by nicrad; August 9th, 2005 at 04:09 PM.
    Drawing is a language with infinite dialects.

Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to nicrad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woot! honored to comment first (if no one else comment NOW)
    totally love these drawings/paintings.. especially the abstract/weird ones
    slightly reminds me a bit of the book 'the anotated alice' dont know why..
    great job

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful work.. welcome to CA... I look foward in seeing moreof your work and having you hopefully participate in some of the activities...

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments guys, here's a few more laying around the harddrive... More coming when I get that scanner humming again.

this was an interior of a cd booklet

oldies
    more soon

Nic*Rad

Sketchbook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nicrad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice!!! I love these! Those cast drawings rock....
    do you prefer the lines? Otherwise, why not get a real sketchbook... or some blank pieces of paper.
    Regardless... keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really great work.... get that scanner working!

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If only I was as good as you Nic, I wouldn't be as suicidal in the mornings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    excellent drawings..i especially like your first two nudes, the cast drawings..and the gir on the notebook paper.l..she is cute..hehe..think you are doing great..and i agree with you ..im glad i found this site..full of talented people..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is all just fnatastic... like whoa.

No critiques here, your work is right on and it really shows your own personal style and direction with these, they all kick ass. I hate lined paper, and with these you've made me like what you've done, so awesome job.

Going to subscribe to this here thread and keep up with it, welcome to the CA, man.

Ian

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glikster- heh, the lines don't bother me, just a concept sketchbook that I kept going for a while. Occassionally I used them as horizontal plumb lines but basically I ignored them. it's one of many sketchbooks that I keep going because I'm scatterbrained like that. thanks for your comments!

vigo- will do sir. Gone to charlotte for a comic conference this weekend. back at it soon.

jens-I checked out your sketchbook... really standout characters/expressions. I'm keeping an eye on your thread as well. Thanks for your comments.. as for the media used on that one I couldn't find the original scan to show you what I did, but I found another drawing with a similar processs, check it out below.

rambhat- if you die I will be the last remaining member of our secret society and recieve the seventh key, and you know exactly what will happen then. Don't be foolish. Start a thread and return to making me hate myself.

allego- thank you sir

Ian- I'm honored that there are people who care about this stuff. The lined paper was an older sketchbook.. not much left worth showing from that one, I might squeeze a few more before it's officially retired.

thanks all! More to come after the conference... I posted some comic covers in the finished section: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46672

the drawing is colored pencil over tria... the texture is a brush I made in photoshop, with some overlays and some blend mode manipulations. Hope that explains it a little better.

Sketchbook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nicrad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are nice bro, I'm glad to have meet you at the workshop.
    Keep it up man, you have a lot of creative energy.

Peace,

-JK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice. The only critique I have is post more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    /agrees with rest of viewers.
    i like 'em all, but i'd rather see drawings on white paper instead of lined.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quite realistic pics from the back of brain =)

Scretchbook 2, 1.
    my gallery
    Pencil - FOREWER!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really nice sketchbooks,
    i'll be checking in for your updates, be sure !!
    You can always take a look to my sketchbook if you have time,
    would be a pleasure to know what you think about it...

peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    james- ::samurai bow:: just trying to hold it down for the classically trained gone conceptual. I'm sure you will carry on the tradition of ass kicking at massive black.

tldenmark- will do!

odds- heh, there is a quite an aversion to lined paper I see. No worries. That is an old sketchbook and has maybe one or two worthwhile things left in it, which I may or may not post depending on how intense the stoning ; )

kharma- yes, I think that the portions of our brain that deal with subconscious imagery are able to project fantastically realistic images without the analytical and logical filtering from that nasty left hemisphere. The evidence of that is the ability of all people to project realistic figures in their dreams, complete with light and color, which relies on memorized observation of light falling on form mixed with all other non visual data that we assign to recognize and distinguish people we know from those we don't, likewise with animals and creatures and all that bizarre stuff. What I try to do when I draw is turn off the logic and dig through that image bank-sort of create a waking dream. Which I think is only possible when the neuropaths that are used to draw and communicate are well traveled-and very natural. I do my best for now! Thanks for commenting.

Ryu- Thanks for looking, I'll cruise by your thread shortly.

A small update here. I spent the weekend hobnobbing with comic book all stars james jean, paul pope, and many others in charlotte. The economy of line was just baffling across the board. I licked my wounds all the way home. I tried to assure myself that rendering matters too. Here survive a few late night hotel drawings:

no ref

More soon.

Sketchbook

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nicrad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love that last piece in, in the water.....sweet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude! i was lookin at this page the day before i went down to charlotte, thinking it would be really cool to meet the person who's makin this stuff. pretty coincidental to run into you there... i wish I had remembered the name that went with the art at the time sorry bout that, I had a little too much night time activities to have all pistons firing. but ayway, great stuff, glad to have met you. maybe we can trade sketches in the future. keep it up!

-"cody"

ps- james jean's originals knocked me out man, crazy good stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, Cool , Cool..

Cool Tools.

-JtJ

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Outstanding. Please do not stop posting, so great stuff, very inspirationall
    Tiger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow ,,, very nice. i like em all. i wish i had met you in sf, maybe i did... i dont really remember. really awesome stuff.

Last edited by flex mathews; June 28th, 2005 at 04:19 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You said : "the basic process is a drawing made over an abstract design that I lay down first with tria refills (thanks coro) and then perhaps ink or acrylic, or whatever I can find so I'm not repeating myself, and then that same spirit of experimentation in photoshop... "

I was wondering, could you tell us a little more? only splash of tria? with a brush? then pencils? or then acrylic on tria?
    When you put splashes, do you just put some, or dont stop splash until some shapes you like come?
    Then when you work on this, did you had in mind, for example, i want to do a strange pirate, and then you do it, or do you really get caught by the abstract shape?

and you were saying you saw james jean, and paul pope... OMFG !! You know these guys? what can i say... like, they are your buddy? incredible...

Cya soon !

Peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see.. I herd about an artist who at first fall into meditation, and then began to paint.. and I see that pics =)) intresting,..good composition...hm .. but more abstract that yours - just black different points and curves.. ha

Do not remember his name, sorry

Scretchbook 2, 1.
    my gallery
    Pencil - FOREWER!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those last few are great.. love that guy with the tubular eyes... thingy.. thing.. sometimes the odd is just weird but, your odd is like side show freaks odd... reminds me of puddhead a bit...

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glikster-thanks man. there is something fasinating to me about the human form breaking the surface of the water. Donato giancola has a piece with a woman in a bathtub that is just, well.. Donatorific.

cody- that is quite crazy. It seems like we're going to run into each other throughout life, and I propose from here on out we play it off that we are some sort of crazy ass spies that have to play it cool or risk getting capped. A trade sounds cool- maybe pick a theme and we'll each do a page on that?

joshua-wow man, thanks, I've followed your work for a long time. Honored to get props you. Did Palencar teach at CCad while you were there? I talked to him on the phone once or twice. He seemed quite cool

Tigermilk- Thank you, easy to keep them coming with all the love, heh.

Flex- damn damn damn your stuff is cool. I don't think we met in SF because I would have recalled your work. I didn't have much of this stuff there either. But perhaps in the future. Keep posting, I need to steal some darkness from you..

Ryu- at some point, if there is enough interest, I'll try my hand at a tutorial. But for now I'll try to clarify: typically I splash on the tria from the tube, but sometimes I brush it on as well, or occassionally add things in the process for fun, like hair spray or alcohal to get different effects. At that point I am designing abstractly--worried about making interesting shapes and composition, but not thinking yet about subject matter. After the tria is down I will sometimes put some washes of acrylic down to tone the page or alter the shapes, but often I just begin with the pencil, or colored pencil.

as for the subject matter, I prefer to "create in a vaccum" as android put it in his interview. I like to be suprized by what I draw and I think that trying to consciously project subjects onto the page, for me, limits the creativity that will come from letting the shapes and drawing motions play themselves out. But of course this has to change slightly when a project is commishioned.. if there has to be a certain subject in there. So I suppose that is dictated by the reason that I am making the drawing. When they are just sketches, and for me, I never "think" about what I am drawing. To me, the more exciting stuff happening in the brain is happening past that layer of logic and tangible communication.

hah- and I should clarify, Paul Pope and James Jean know who I am, but it is probably in the same way that they know the guy who does their dry cleaning. I followed them around at a convention last week and sometimes they rubbed me on the head and said hang in there little buddy. Sort of. They are good people, and freakishly skilled. I try hard to steal talent by proximity

karhma- that artist sounds interesting.. but maybe a little gimmicky to me. I could see composition being meditative to an extent.. but I think for me it is more subverted after a great deal of conscious study of the masters. It's a very interesting and difficult subject to try to divide the abstract elements of design with the principles of representational art. I think the great ones are those that learn how to control that disparity and exploit it. Wes, Coro, and Marko are some great examples of that skill from these boards.. Odd Nerdrum is freakishly good at this. He finds a way to make abstract shapes frighten, depress, and excite you. Plenty others too. I like this subject a lot.. thanks for bringing it up!

Vigo- Huge compliment. Very honored. I've got many miles to go before I track him down= ) maybe kevin will take a few years off to bare knuckle box. Some of us discouraged souls would much appreciate it.

man you all are are great.. really didn't expect such a response already. I will keep them coming... Had to throw down on some thumbnails today and those aren't so exciting, so here are a few from my smallest sketchbook (5.25in by 3.5in), which I've dedicated to color studies and observational work..

i kind of hate this one.. i was focusing on color and the drawing suffered..it's a self portrait. I think i've made myself look mindless. Oil on paper

ball point pen.

this is a study of girl from a magazine. i was attracted to the cool temp of the skin. oil on paper

i will get back to the fun stuff soon.

Nic*Rad

Sketchbook

31. The Following User Says Thank You to nicrad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a few more..
    ballpoint

kind of a rough, maybe helpful to show the process?

and the normal stuff

this one has the last one inside of it..

and this one

that's all for now. been stuck with a lot of busy work. thanks for mulling over my absurdity!

Sketchbook

33. The Following User Says Thank You to nicrad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you make me wanna ball over and cry like a baby.. like the ones that you draw.. just like them... damb... I wish I never stopped drawing.. Its like you always here people talk .... Go to school.. get and education... do what yu love.. blah, blah, blah.. and its not till your an adult that you appreciate what they told you.... I hope that I could one day preven a kid from stopping to draw..! But, fuck it.. right Nic... go for the juggular.. just not mine!!!! Great work as always... too bad your not in NYC... Ive been thinking about putting together a Gallery party at a club... i have a friend that did it once... pretty cool... Your style would really fit...

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing. You got skills dude.

Hey, you kinda look like me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, you have to be kidding! This stuff is beautiful. You're an incredible artist in your own right, that's for sure. Thanks so much for showing this stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, nic... didnt realize that you were a NYC guy... a few of us are trying to get together and have a session.. Let, me know if your interested...

SketchBook

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.