Art: Weeny Dump: mostly FL work of card game/character concepts/illustrations

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Weeny Dump: mostly FL work of card game/character concepts/illustrations

Hi guys and gals,
    well, Mr. Form n Focus pressured me out of my lurking habit and into posting.

Because of all those lovely nda's and public release agreements, what I can show here is kinda limited, so most of these are getting a bit old - but, I'm glad I can show some stuff and hopefully get some good hard crits to improve

Crit away my pretties! I'm mostly a 3D guy, illustration on the side for fun, so there's lots there that needs it (icky... look at that orange skin on the girl... and what was I thinking with that perspective?!)

cheers!
    -Joel Styles
    http://www.jistyles.com

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! The first, and second to last are definitely the cream of the crop. The rest have sort of a wonky feel to them (to me, atleast). I think the problem with the rest is that the proportions might be a little off. Also, the pic with the knight holding a cross-sword thing has a twisted/bent arm. HIS left hand shouldn't be facing that way, unless he bent it backwards or something. The thumb should be on the completely opposite side of his hand. The one with the lady, her eyes just look weird. Like she's surprised/terrified to see that she's turning into little metal shards, heh. The eyes have an emotionless, static feel to them as well. It's weird, I dunno. Good work, overall. Keep it up-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    right now many of your works have an awkward tension between focused and unfocused brushwork...detail vs blurry...needs to be more consistent w/ the composition...

example: the big monster guy...the belt is way too crisp compared to the skin which is directly next to it.

-dan

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cheers for the crits guys -

Odds: I definitely know what you mean about the wonky feel -- I'm not really very confident when working at print res (which these are) so it's interesting that the ones you picked as the better of the batch, are the ones I started small and built up into print res as opposed to jumping straight in. I think it stems from losing focus on the overall image, and concentrating too much on smaller isolated areas. I've started to do a lot more pre-vis work before I begin a piece now, and it definitely helps. The girl I really wasn't too happy with in the end, and it's kind of amplified in a smaller image like this (the eyes sized down really bad ). There's not much feeling or depth of character portrayed at all.

ApolloNuevo: Thanks for the crit! Focus is really something I don't consciously think about, so that's a good one to keep in mind. cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your character designs and you have nice volume in your peice. Some of the anatomy gets funky. Your color choices are nice too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i would add varying color to it. check out the impressionists. the color seems more graphic then realistic. like in the jackets its the color with black for shadow and white for light. try to get more exciting colors in their. thats it. nice weerk.
    chad

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.