Am i the youngest here? - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Am i the youngest here?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just so you know, I DID go on a rampage.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^^^

He was stopped by a pre-naturally young ninja. The ninja trapped LightKirtar in his icon.

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im trying to figure out why I typed "Hard," in the 2nd half, of my first sentance in my last post.

Probly cuz Im an Idiot

"As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am old and young. Mostly it's my body that is old at 39.

I am young in that the child I was is still here in me. I can remember easily back to when I was 3; when it was just me and my Dad. When I was very young I decided to pay attention to myself growing up and to never forget what it was like so I would be able to remember for my kids someday. The real benefit was that I am living a whole life and not just from day to day.

There is a saying that only older people can truly understand "Youth is wasted on the young." What that means is young people have so many great opportunities and choices before them but not the experience to choose wisely nor the patience to see a valuable task through to the end. I didn't and most people who say that saying didn't either... and wish they did.

So, since you younger folks are here I thought I'd pass on a bit of info that usually gets over looked because of the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

1) Be cool. This doesn't mean try and be popular. It means chill out and listen. It means not reacting before you think.

2) Do everything with some style. You don't have to be a follower to be part of a group or team. Followers don't have much style but being disruptive doesn't have style either.

3) Be creative: Messing stuff up just sucks. This includes littering, tagging, breaking things and such. Create and add to your world. There are great rewards for this. You might not know when those rewards will come but they will... from out of the blue and you might not even remember why.

4) Learn, learn, learn. EVERYONE my age and older wishes they would have learned more when they were younger. Experience and knowledge directly adds to your powers of creativity. It's a fact, a law of the universe.

5) Love. By the simple fact that you are human with a mind of your own means that you are a person worth knowing and loving. No one fits in everywhere and sometimes it takes time to find your niche but the first step to finding that niche is loving yourself. That means take care of you, it's OK to do that. Keep your self clean, allow yourself to have constructive friends, eat healthy and live your passion. Sometimes the most loving choice isn't obvious. An alcoholic begging for a drink might really thank you for one but is giving him one the most loving thing. It will prolong his suffering. Sometimes the loving thing to do is the hardest thing to do.

6) Friends. It's easy; to have friends you have to be a friend. You don't need religion to have "Do unto other as you would have done to you." apply. It's a basic human principal. And don't be a pushover either, that is not loving yourself.

7) Be aware of what's around you. Think bigger than yourself. Take traffic as an example. If we all drive like it's our road and everyone else is an obstacle then we are all dead; total mayhem. Traffic works when people work together. Pushing and swerving through traffic screws up everything and lacks style. Chill out and cruise. Keep up a good pace and don't lag either. You'll get where you are going in time and alive. Besides tickets suck!

8.) DON'T FRIGGEN GET MARRIED BEFORE YOU'RE 30! Don't have a girl friend or boyfriend steady until you are 25. It's a total distraction from what you need to be doing which is working on yourself. You are no good to anyone if you don't do that. Don't have a baby while you are young under any circumstances unless you want to throw away every dream you ever had, never have any money, and not even have a good life experience to share with your kid. Ya, some people do succeed despite doing these things but a lot that say they do are LYING. Just like in Vegas, some people do occasionally beat the house but 99.99% don't and every light you see in that town is lit by a LOSER... and there is a friggen ton of lights in Vegas. To have a real honest relationship with someone you have to be OK with yourself FIRST. After that it's relatively easy.

9) Find your passion and get really good at it. Use all the advice above to get it. Don't let anyone wreck your dream. Listen to others and then make your own dicisions. Good lord, George W. Bush became President of the USA! I'm pretty sure you can have your dream too. But you have to go get it. If you sit on the couch and play video games all day your dream will go to someone else. You snooze you lose. Someday never comes... really. Dude, REALLY!

10) Adopt a life of pure honesty. It totally pays off. It may seem like it won't but, damn it, it does. The reasons aren't always clear but give it a chance and you'll see that it's WAY… way easier to keep track of and live with. Lying takes an impossible amount of work to maintain and eats at your character. It ruins everything. There is no substance in a lie and enough of them can suck the life out of you.

11) Be understanding that you can't always understand everything. People have entire lives you know nothing about. There is a short story where a man is on an Airplane and the man in front of him has two rowdy kids and it's all very irritating. Finally the man says to the father "Could you please keep your kids in order, sir?" The Father looks back and says "I'm sorry sir, I'm returning home from a trip because I got news their mother just died and I'm just don't have the strength to discipline them but I'll try." To be sure, the man attitude about those rowdy kids totally changed with the new information. Everybody does everything for a reason (often times they are unaware of it) and it usually never really about you. So be forgiving but also don't forget unless there is good reason to. It isn't "self love" to continue to expose yourself to rancid people.

12) When in doubt ask yourself what you will think of this day when you are on your deathbed looking back on your life. Make your days matter, don't sweat the small stuff and create your life away. Leaving your positive mark here will better prepare you for whatever is next.

This isn't everything but like I said it's a few of the things that even good parents forget to make a point of because life in these modern days is a bit hectic. Be a good person, it's fun for longer.

Last edited by L. Scott Knight; July 5th, 2005 at 03:22 AM.
    Peace, Love and Harmony... I could never get them all into bed at the same time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whu...wh-what?!
    how can someone write something so brillliant (it's worth the triple 'l' brilliant!)
    in any random post?
    i further back up the fact that i would publish l. Scott Knight's work if i wasn't twelve.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Doom
    "You can do whatever you want son, I couldn't possibly be anymore ashamed of you than I already am."

That what my father told my when I was ten and I told him I wanted to be an artist when I grew up.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Right on, L. Scott Knight!

Let me add to the babble...

A. Never regret anything you did. It's over, and what you are today is because of what you did yesterday.

B. Never give up. The entire world IS out to get you, and it really pisses 'em off when you just keep pushin' ahead.

C. Friends are forever...and you never fully believe this til you hit my age. Many of the people I grew up with are dead, but the few that aren't are truly my friends, even though I may not have seen them in 40 years.

D. Don't live in the past. Accept it as a learning experience that you have to remember in great detail. It makes moving into the future a whole lot easier.

E. Be open to change and new things. Even the fact that I only have three fully-functioning brain cells has never stopped me from listening to a 6-year-old explain to me why there are dragons under his bed...

F. The world is more than what you can touch, or even see from your window. Let it in. Listen to people, even the crazy ones, because they've been places and done things you never new about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some good advice there guys so thank you. It really helped cuz im goin thru a bit of a hard time. Thanks again
    ~Lover~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually wrote that for my own son in case something should happen to me before he is old enough. It's in a letter (written more directly to him) marked to give to him when he is twelve.

Lover, it indeed can be hard and will be hard. Somethings in life a daunting until you've been through them. Then you look back and say... sheesh. If you can absorb the following fact it can give you some perspective.

You are 12. At 24 you will still be young yet you will have lived your entire life, 12 years, over again but this time you started at 12 instead of as a baby. At 60 years old you will have live the life you lived already five times!
    The point is that your childhood from your perspective is VERY long but is actually only a short portion of the whole life you are about to live. It's a little unfair that some of the things you will be doing in the coming few years are so very important to your whole life but that's unavoidable. Do good in school and the bummer part will be over someday and then you reap the bennefits for another 60 years! Do poorly in school and the bummer part never ends.

You don't have to work a hard job to earn money to live so this is the first best time to take care of school. Some adults return to school but imagine having to do all your school and when its over... nope no rest, work. You can return to school but why would you want to when you get free school and free living now?

Good luck to you but you won't need it if you go through it all with a purpose. Knowledge is a power tool in life and don't let anyone keep you from getting what is rightfully yours. Not your friends, not your teachers, not anyone. It's yours, make them give it to you.

Last edited by L. Scott Knight; July 5th, 2005 at 02:16 PM.
    Peace, Love and Harmony... I could never get them all into bed at the same time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does this make the thread I wanted to start - "Am I the median age here?" - superfluous?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks L.Scott Knight and yes we have kinda gone off the point but still, i don't mind.
    ~Lover~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    8.) DON'T FRIGGEN GET MARRIED BEFORE YOU'RE 30! Don't have a girl friend or boyfriend steady until you are 25. It's a total distraction from what you need to be doing which is working on yourself. You are no good to anyone if you don't do that. Don't have a baby while you are young under any circumstances unless you want to throw away every dream you ever had, never have any money, and not even have a good life experience to share with your kid.
    I wish someone had told me about that earlier. When i was fifteen my dad told me "So, it's about time you have a girlfriend, right?", and it bothered me until one year ago. On the one hand i had this feeling i'd have to find a girlfriend, while on the other hand whenever i had dates i had a feeling that i really had other business to take care of. (I'm 23 now.)
    Resulting in a lot of wasted time.

On a related note, i could have saved 2 years of my life if i had just not listened to my parents and grandparents (get a solid education boy!) but done what i felt would be right (take those extra art classes, don't care about an apprenticeship or going to study but work for a year and use the money to get a one year private education in graphics design like i'd initially wanted to - before everyone knew better than me what is right for me).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    John O. You still don't need a girlfriend because you are still in that life building stage. Date, yes. Have fun, yes. But no long term relationships for another few years. The schooling you got is not wasted. It has helped to make a more secure you.

But now that you're done with that... draw, draw, DRAW! Yay C.A.!

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Rook
    your just jealous cause these kids are gunna kick your ass, i sure as hell am
    Ah fool, i'm wid them's the prob, 13 yrs of age...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm 12 but i'm 3 months younger than broken lizard. mwahahahaha!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Isn't it strange, how some things you take so lightly, so rationally, then you forget so quickly, and don't really pay much atention to them, yet when you live through those experiences yourself and ultimately arrive at your own conclusions, the same thing you were told suddenly you understand it not only from a rational point of view, but also from the heart?
    Ironic, how someone could give you every answer to life, yet you would not fully understant it until you live those things and arrive at your own conclusions...
    ... which in spirit would probably match what you were told in the first place!

I really liked what you both said, L. Scott Knight, and Ilaekae and I agree so much with a lot of it, and not just intelectualy. Especially what you said about love, and especially what you said about being ok with yourself. I think that if you make peace with yourself first, every other problem will be solved later, and easier. I think when you are faced with a problem, you can make your choice based on either love, or fear. Its funny, ultimately you realize, love is really the greatest thing, and what matters most is being caring, and doing the things you like to do.

Dont worry, life isnt even half as screwed up as it seems, its just your current perspective. And your perspective is not set in stone, its something that changes from time to time. Sometimes stuff sucks, sometimes everything is great, and sometimes it will be somehere in the middle. What ultimatly matters is the way in which you look at things, not the circumstances in which you live.
    Just relax, have a good time, and do your thing. It really is all up to you. Dont worry about screwing up, how else do you think all these conclusions got formulated in the first place? They were the best answer we could come up with for every time things got screwed up! ; P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some good advice. Advice Ive believed in, and all ways will.

"As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.