Sketchbook: Min's Sketchbook (23/07/2011, pg.130) - Page 31
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 31 of 131 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 81 ... LastLast

Thread: Min's Sketchbook (23/07/2011, pg.130)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jesus. You're doing so many things that I wish I could do that it actually hurts me a little inside. I'm going to have to come back after I browse through all 16 pages and recover from my newfound sense of shame. . .

. . . and I'm not just back-patting either. Expect questions!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Jakian, haha cheers mate!

Idiot Apathy, dude.. master! you should not be envious, well I just got them off you. hehe, it's been awsome learning colours off you, really, I am sort of trying to experiment more and actually attempt to solve problems. Before I was more just do whatever feels right, but it doesn't always work out and you end up with something you didn't want. So thanks again for all the help! We better do some drawings soon, i feel like I been cheating you and stealing all your time but never actually spent time to teach you some figures. hehe

redehlert, Dave! how you doing mate, thanks for the nice words. All good. glad you like them, all thanks to Tom!, btw for texture tutorial, the only reason I never thought about doing it before was.. well coz I wasn't sure how to go on about it. hehe, no no, this is your tut, *grins* I will follow your lead mate. You just let me know how I can help you, maybe we can get fellah to chip in some ideas as well. He seems to be doing exceptional textures in recent times.. I always wondered how he did it. And you too! give up your secrets!. cheers mate.

Form, thanks mate. *sigh* not sure if I deserve all the compliments I am receiving.. we'll chit chat more tomorrow!! yay flying down... god I miss Sydney..

codakromek, cheers mate. you don't need to bleed for anything dude. you are kicking ass everywhere, keep up the awsome work. cheers,

sve, My dear sve, how's things? how's C? No it's just not you, you always see right into the image, I guess you have like the this xray vision, always appreciate your comments. yeah she does look a bit static. hope you are doing well!! cheers

Nutter, hahah shane, no none of that happens actually, everyone minds their own business around here. So yeah we just work away, I guess much like where you work right? cheers and I will see you tomorrow!

poise, hey tiff, how's things? thanks for the nice words, haha it's awsome coming from you, from such a mad artist as yourself, are we just flattering each other or what? hehe. Hope you are doing well, and I will be joining the DOO thread soon. cheers,

3bleadpencil, Thanks! will do

Diego, I am doing alright, just trying to get things together. How about you? How's it all going? we haven't chatted for a while I think, hehe. Thanks for the nice words dude!

loomer, Scotty! thanks for dropping around!, I see glimpse of you roaming CA but don't quite see you on AIM!! you hiding from me or what? seen what you been upto on your SB. hehe, that lake scene looks awsome, you fixed it up heaps from the sketches. How's things anyways? hehe, thanks for the nice words, yeap I am definitely trying to apply these studies into characters, I guess that's where my passion lies the most. eeeee, anyways, good to hear from you, i should send you an email soon, hehe check out what else you been upto and all. Email me some goodies to look at!.

heartbeat, thanks for the nice words, hehe.

Fellah., Hey simon, how you doing mate? CIG! yeah we should really quit smoking... I been trying..the most I managed was...like 5 hours.. *sigh* heheh thanks for dropping around, I will join you in DOO thread soon! heh

kian3001, hehe cheers mate. I have saved your work in my inspirational folder! nice environments going on there.

Julian, hey how is going. ptttf, you are too nice mate, I don't deserve all that.. *sigh*but you did bring a smile, always pleasure having you around. cheers mate!

Infinitum, Hey Ian, yeah I like darker stuff, but I think it's time for me to experiment with other possibilities. i still like darker stuff but I am developing some taste for the brighter, hehe. So more experiments to come and hopefully I will be able to merge those two and create some strong contrasts... eee, hope you are doing well! cheers mate

Pencilator, Perre, hehe kewl! good to hear you are doing well. yeah Idiot Apathy is awsome, he's helped me out so much. I guess he sort of sends me all these awsome works he find on the net and we sort of talk about it too, most of the time it's bitching but yeah. heheh he motivates me greatly. ee, cheers mate

mentler, cheer mate, yeah expected, cliches... I guess I will move on soon enough hopefully. Some of those are too strong in my head and needs to be put down I think, hehe. THanks for dropping by! cheers,

hurricane, bah! you are kicking ass ever more than before. thanks for dropping around!

Interceptor, haha hey loren. yeah it's going all good then? I sort of did some sketches yesterday for the TD, I realised I better put some serious time into it to take you on. hehe, thanks for the nice words dude!

rob-ot, cheers! heh

pennington, thanks for dropping by, yeah I try and update my website more frequently.. hehe that's why I built it so yeah, thanks for the nice words on the website. haha yeah tom is wacky... he's a funny dude, we chit chat too much though instead of studies..

MattGamer, thanks matt! more coming up..hopefully.. hehe

ohjay, Thanks for dropping around to mine too! yeah I should have applied to some studios in Brisbane, but this melbourne studio worked out really well, so yeah. maybe later down the track I might go up there and do some work hopefully. cheers mate.

TheGnoll, Thanks!! cheers

koppa, Luke.. heheh well if you were looking in here... you weren't working either!! yeah we should get back to work *cracks whip*

kingcoyote, haha big compliments! eeee cheers

Deselect, cheers mate

Idiomatic, thanks mate. I checked your stuff out.. really solid skills you got there, I was quite envious of your skills, thanks for dropping by, and yeah sure ask away, I will be asking questions too hehe. cheers mate.

OK! phew, that was quite long. Thanks everyone for the support. some quick update i did for the past two nights.. just carrying away from where I left it off last time. I had some refs, not directly but just enough to inspire and to correct where I got stuck. Experiments and Studies.. but yeah..

had ref for this one.. little dull..

just messing with the flowers, I think i am developing a strong liking to them..*sigh*

Had sort of ref

Red flowers... always wanted to try this one..

just for fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    work is for suckas min

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely lyrical quality to these... feels quiet and nostalgic, with a hint of something waiting to happen.

I really like that controlled spatter you're using with the flowers... The criss-crossing diagonal composition of this one is wonderful! Added to the power of the complimentary reds and greens... Very dynamic!

Thanks.
    KC

You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very cool, nice compositions too.

a suggestion you might want to play with- because these landscapes are so saturated and poppy, it's hard to feel the depth and find where my eye is supposed to go. I think if you tried one where it was mostly desaturated (especially with things like mountains, they get really desat. because of atmospheric perspective) and just popping in bits of pure rich color where you want the focus to lie, you might find yourself enjoying it... People like Jeffrey Jones do this really well, his paintings are mostly tinted grays but just enough spots of saturated colors to make the image feel vibrant, but not overpowering. Anyway, hope that made sense

Awesome stuff man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow man, that's just plain amazing.
    Loving those, super refreshing colors and composition. It works so well.
    Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaaaaaargh!!! I see those mountains and wonder how you do it... those playful little mountains, I try so hard and mine always come out looking very fake... I plan so hard and stuff. I really love your sketches, the color, composition, and perspective is very enjoyable!!! Thanks for the inspiration =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    !!! woooooo !!!!!! beautiful mate !!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the feeling in your pieces, Min.
    These last images are breathtaking even with simplicity in details, because, in my opinion, it's a kind of impressionist inspired style you show there! ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah flowerboy. Looking god damn good, I want to do stuff like this too I think you've catched the right feeling in these.
    I think sve will like them
    Doin' great, doin' great. dumdi dum.

Hugs!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    loving your stuff as usual min!
    this one is my fav http://home.exetel.com.au/bumskee/con/col_13.jpg it seems to me it has the most depth, the most distinction between the overlapping forms, whereas in some parts the others come off a bit flat ( maybe too much reliance on texture as opposed to value, i think)
    but yeah i dont know much about this, hhope you can keep posting man! have a good one in sydney tomorrow

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Min dude... you are like so super groovey man... that 5th one is awesome reminds me of a greeting card.... awesome works... hope your doing well amigo... we gotta work on something soon... Maybe you can try to color in one of my junkie drawings one day...

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Always a pleasure to look at what you've produced, bumskee so you said you're doing detailed scenes and such for work right? well I'm sure that compant is happy to have ya, especially when you can produce environments like these. amazing pieces once again and I really like the last one you posted, reminds me a bit of John Turner's Slave Ship; really has an emotional feel. keep it up man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks For Stopping By My Sketchbook, Bumskee. Actually, Out Of This Series I Think That The Last One Is The Weakest Of The Bunch. The Idea Is Great But You Might Want A More Panoramic View, Even More So Than You Already Have.

Ps. Excuse The All Caps But I'm At Work And This Computer Can't Do Lower Case For Some Very Very Odd Reason.

Edit - Badass. Ca.Org Gets Rid Of All Caps.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey bumskee, great update, love the vibrant colours, especially the last one - i think a wide spot of yellow... spreading along a horizon would be cool.. give it a greater sense of place and scale. atm it looks a bit abstract in the sense of seeing it as a environment.
    Good stuff, and keep updating, u know u wont regret it

thanks, Andy.

Andrew Porter - Andy - Phandy - PHATandy

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful landscapes.

~"With a little hope, and alot of try, anything is possible."~
    ~"The harder You work, the better life gets."~
    ~"The pain doesn't last, but the gain will last forever."~
    ~"Fear is my courage." ~Mr_S_14

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Min, you're such a nice guy ! Modest AND talented... I love you a little more each time I check you're stuff. I read that you will join the Doo thread ? Wow ! Can't wait to see that !
    Cheers.
    J.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesomeness

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hot damn, this is definitly on my list of top 5 sb really cool mood in ur work! Ur faces are just awesome, same
    goes with ur eviorments, reminds me of the norwegian
    landscapes keep it up.

-WolfBane

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work with PS (right?) is just amazing - I love the colors and how your brush strokes fit into the picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aieeee! You called me master again
    Of course I'm envious, these are great! And please don't feel like you've been cheating me, you're currently (and previously!) my greatest outside source of inspiration and advancement mate, you've been pushing and pushing me and I'm very thankful for it man! You said in my SB that you're getting a bunch of ideas from me - well I'm getting bunches of ideas from you and yours mate! Your brushes are really helping me out, I'm not sure I'd be using PS if I had to figure everything out again and create brushes from scratch right away. I couldn't find anything that just laid paint down so I said screw it and went full on texture. Glad I did.

#1: We've talked about the importance of ref, I need to do more. Study from life so you can create from the mind.
    #2: Muahahah liking flowers eh? I want to accept at least partial credit for tainting you with happy things muahaha! This one is really great, nice rendering on everything especially the clouds and impressionistic flowers. One thing to think about maybe is how many vibrant colors you have here, the sky blue the green green grass and the orange and yellow flowers. Having so many vibrant colors together to me creates it's own mood - something not easily overriden perhaps.
    #3: Bugah! Awesome. Often when I paint I like to picture a place I'd like to be - this would be one of those places. Lovely greens! Hey hey... try this sometime when you have a blue sky - blue and white flowers. Just another thought - The orange in an enviroment like this might not be so vibrant, if you wanted realism you'd have to tone it down - but that's realism and usually boring. Perhaps tieing it in with some orange flowers or something would work nicely too.
    #4: Bloody gorgeous mate! How are you starting these? Abstract blobs, sketches or what? Blue red and green, woo!
    #5: Such great motion in these, you've got a nice feeling on these windy bits, Strokes help it a lot too. Next time we get together I'm going to have to make you learn to color edit, I think you'll like the freedom.
    #6: This one... man - I need to do more characters... but wow. The motion thing again too. Something else for you to experiment with - colors perhaps being more vibrant the closer they are to the viewer; this can be a nice depth device I think. I'm not sure if that red is 100v 100s but probably pretty close. Usually going less sat after here doesn't work for this sort of thing so you may try going warmer say a red orange and adding a little more value (technically less sat from 100s100v in PS).

Cheers dude! Talk with you soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude, those concepts of all those warrior chicks a few pages back are sweet. you're getting really good. keep it up. you're environments are rocking too! do you sketch any of these out in pencil first or do you just go straight at it ?

polylover.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, Min, this pic is awesome: http://home.exetel.com.au/bumskee/con/col_13.jpg

Actually, everything in here is awesome. Youre hardcore and yooo know eet~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No crits, just wanted to say thanks. You and Idiotapathy have given me a good bout of inspiration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I've always loved your character stuff, but I'm really starting to fall for your environments . So pretty and somewhat surreal, amazing use of color.

Thanks for stopping my book! Loren swears that we're not gonna let you beat us too badly in the Thunderdome, lol. Can't wait to see what you whip up to whip us with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really good Min. Looks like you can tackle any subject and nail it the wall. Those environments look like almost traditional oil paintings. Keep it up, your heading for great things.

Have faith, these things should never be easy.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Min, you make it damn near impossible to crit anything that you do! These last two bunches of environments are fantastic and you really make me feel like I'm part of those scenes. Great job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! man I can't believe I haven't seen this SB around. I love your character designs on pg 14.. beautifully and deceptively simple. I dig the enviros on pg 15 as well, but I have a few crits...

the enviroments tend to be oversaturated. They do not play with temperature or saturation of color. They are pretty uniform in hue, color, saturation, temperature. This approach, although powerful in it's ability to unify just about any composition, does not do color justice. If you started to play with saturations and temperatures you would lose some of the simplicity and gain a richness of visual movement. If you even overlap some colors and just change the color even a tiny bit you can get some nice mixing and variation of color. I can't really explain it very well... so here is a paintover of one of your pieces.

The very first thing I did was take the saturation way down with hue/saturation. As you can see the dominant color is still green, but there is a good deal of variation that is much more interesting to look at than a pure oversaturated color throughout. The paintover didn't take me more than 15 minutes(with a mouse), All of the values were established and already created a sense of depth. I just pushed that sense of depth by warming the colors in the foreground and cooling them in the background with some variation of color throughout. I hope that this makes sense... Everything I've said is very subjective and purely my opinion, I don't claim to be the all knowing god of color but this is what I think would improve your work. I love your stuff, keep goin!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome sketchbook, this is my very first time visiting it you made some serious progression from the beginning to now I am very inspired and impressed by your development you put in the time and work and it shows. Thanks Bumpskee for the motivation. Great job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow duder, killer atmospheres. I love how you commit to these palletes, bold bold bold! My only crit I think has been mentioned before, choosing where to saturate your colors will lead people's eye right to where you want em to go. Truly inspiring!

Page 31 of 131 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 81 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 124