Art: sunshine and shadow

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sunshine and shadow

This started out as a quick sketch of some book characters, and I ended up finishing it off. It has some major problems that I was hoping some of you might point out - I've stared at it too long. Here's the lineart:

sunshine and shadow

finished colors in Photoshop (inspired by a recent Fables cover by James Jean :

sunshine and shadow

and with a texture overly to get rid of the digital look:

sunshine and shadow

The main thing that's buggin me is how in the colored version both characters look top-heavy. I know their heads are too big in the lineart, but the problem seems amplified with the colors. Will probably go back and fix up the rendering on the girl. Also, I just realized I hate the border and little design thingys. Any other thoughts?

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They're not topheavy, pubescent teenagers look like that. I really like the foreground, but dislike the backround greatly. Its more saturated that the foreground, too distracting. Also the boarder seems a little flimsy, uneven. That would take too much time for a quick edit but you should do it. However the saturation thing can be dealt with in minutes:
    sunshine and shadow

The whole illustration portion is great, but other than the bottom area, the whole border is found wanting, especially the top area which has a very distracting slant.
    Id love to know what filters you use to create that traditional media watercolor look though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the illustration, but since you are looking for comments:

To me, (and I'm a newb keep in mind), the foreground's horizon looks fairly flat/planar, which makes it look like their legs must be sunk into the ground or something. It looks like you were going for them climbing up over the roots of the tree from a lower plane?

I think the reason that I'm not convinced of this is partially due to the framing - which, along with the roots, makes the foreground horizon seem to sit near the bottom of the illustration, somewhere about where the roots are twisting into the ground.

Also, the tree on the left could have a little more depth too it. I understand its not round, but it looks quite flat. Maybe its the texture - I don't know.

Hope that wasn't too critical.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks pretty good, i like the watercolor texture you give to your pieces.. how do you do that?

i dont like how the branch cuts her knee off like that, makes her feel like she's missing the rest of her leg..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    haha sorry this isnt too constructive but the girls right leg looks like a massive thumb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the help, guys!

ryanwh: Yeah, I see what you're saying about the background. I was trying to go for a sunset type feel - with the characters hiding in the shadows - but I think it jumps to the foreground too much. They're actually supposed to be adults, so their heads are probably still too big, but oh well... I think I'm just going to scrap the whole border and crop the image down. I don't use filters - I just use a layer made from a photo of some nice texture-y paper, with the layer style set to 'overlay'. It's really simple - almost feels like cheating. Thanks for the comments

superyummy: (like your username!) Yep, I was trying to get them to look like they're climbing up a hill, slightly. Interestingly, I think ryanwh's adjustments actually fix a little bit of the problem - the background now looks like it's receding more. I think you're right, though, those roots and plants are causing part of the problem. I'll see how it turns out once I get rid of the frame. And critiques are supposed to be critical Thanks!

Main Loop: Yeah, I'm not too fond of her leg, either. I think I may put the bend in her knee up a bit, so I can show it folding behind her a bit more. Thanks for the crit!

'stoph: Grrr, I hate that patch on her pants now, maybe I'll just get rid of it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just use a layer made from a photo of some nice texture-y paper, with the layer style set to 'overlay'. It's really simple - almost feels like cheating. Thanks for the comments
    I feel like a fool for NOT thinking of that >_<
    *goes to try it*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

spleens, knees, necks, ears ,theyre all the same

with the whole issue of her legs, at first glance I got the impression she was tudging up a hill but thats just me, in the b/w version it looks to me like her neck is either a little too long or like her heads a head sitting on some sort of pipe, im not sure which one but when it was coloured that issue didn't seem so noticable....so I don't know , oh well eitherway looks good and I'm happy with it non the less

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again, peeps!

ryanwh: It really is a simple trick, isn't it I put up a tutorial in the 'learning and techniques' part of the forum - it's almost not worth the read!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.