Anybody with Sleep Disorder?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Anybody with Sleep Disorder?

IS there anybody experiencing sleep disorder? I do have a chronic sleep disorder and I can't concentrate on my art. I tried Tyrenol PM but it really doesn't work. Moreover, sleep deprivation can trigger depression and nervous breakdown.

Alcohol will make it worse. Warm milk doesn't do a squat. How do you cope with sleep disorder?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am guessing insomnia from your mention of sleep deprivation?

If so you could try melatonin. I'd suggest reading up on it first as with anything.

goodluck to you

Last edited by Marie; June 16th, 2005 at 08:37 PM. Reason: realized i missed something
    --marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup, had it for going on 3 years now.
    Can't sleep more than about 4-5 hours before I wake up and it's like a hamster running a treadmill in my mind. Toss and turn about 1/2 hour and then get up and fire up the PC. Go back to bed about 6am and "nap" for about an hour before "getting up proper." Repeat for 2-3 days until fatique makes me so fuzzy headed I pour the coffee grounds into my cup instead of the machine. Get a decent night's sleep (6-8 hours), start the cycle all over again.

The first day after the good night's sleep is the best, production wise...

Melatonin is only somewhat effective for sleep rhythm disorders. It's effects for insomnia are inconclusive to non-effective. I tried it for about 6 months before giving up. A glass of warm milk provides about as much tryptophan assistance, and tastes better, especially with a spoon of Hershey's chocolate syrup in it...

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep.. can't sleep same hours each night.. always go to sleep at random times from sometimes 10pm sometimes 10am in the morning.. just sleep when I feel tired when I can.. sometimes feel tired get into bed and then can't sleep as I'm thinking too much about just random things.. a lot of the time need to sleep before next morning but can't. I'm 21 and don't know how long I've had this.. years though..

[I am a member of the Middle Class!]

You can view my lurrvely new sketchbook here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?p=507266
    Have a nice day!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn this might happen to me since i stay up as late as 2 in the morning and then wake at 12 or 1 in the afternoon...is there a possible cuase to sleep disorders?

Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    having a irregular sleep cycle is very bad for. if you go to bed at 10pm keep with it. or even 3am or 5am. talk to a doctor who specializes in sleep disorders tho. theyd be your best bet for any long term help

i have restless leg. its a sleep associated dissorder where when super tired my leg twicthes like a mofo. sometimes it keeps me up but not too often. i remember a few yrs back i took a sleeping pill and was out for a good 16hrs. i was only 14 at the time and small too small for the medicine but i took it anyways. (sick at the time and hadnt slept in days)

-=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Count me in.

Im going to college, so, Ive been fighting with myself to sleep at normal hours. I used nothing though. Just fight it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Melatonin doesn't do a jack squat!

Although long-term consumption of alcohol can cause insomnia, the short-term effect can be very tempting. I started drinking 4 months ago and it's hard to go to bed without a nightcab. (a couple of shots of vodka or Johnny Walker)

Well, it's all in your mind. I gotta find myself something to take my worries away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just catchup at work. Thats what I do. Or on the way to work. Yeah, I actually have quite a few sleeping disorder. I just ride the awake wave until I fall asleep standing up while taking a sip of coffee. My advice, sleep often, but most important of all, sleep at nightime. Countin sheep, horses or rare diseases works still, you never know when you might need a wink or too, heck I think I'm asleep while I'm typing this...zzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

Yes, I have sleeping problems myslef. (my-selph, myself)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think I have a sleep disorder YET, but I have always been a very light sleeper, and I have vivid, overly bizarre dreams, which often turn out to be nightmares. I'm not sure if they fuel my imagination or vice versa, but as a result, I know what scares me, and so I can design a creepy monster to scare others.

My family has a history of insomnia though, at least on my mom's side. Is this a hereditary disease? If so, I wonder if I'm doomed already.

As an aside, something that can make me sleepy is exercise. If I've had a long day and have exercised recently, then have dinner or a snack or whatever, that can get me pretty drowsy, since all of my energy's going to digestion and there wasn't a lot left of it. Not sure if that's a good solution, though, but it's a thought.

If you have dreams, you might consider keeping a dream journal. I started that, and you get some crazy stuff.

Sleep well!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    56k modem mixed with having no life is tha cause of mine .. ..

it used to be quite bad a while back,going to sleep at 3-4am and waking up at 9-10am became a routine for a longtime,and,i dunno why but i used to count hours....didnt get much drawings done neither..heh

..Jace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm 45 and have had irregular sleep most of my life , I sleep a few hours and then take a power nap when time permits. I once went for 72 hours without sleep when I was in the Navy - not good -do not try this. You get massive paranoia and the shakes as well as hallucinations. I learned to power nap so that I could stand watches and work all day.

John Fields

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's currently a hot topic in the medical news community right now.

All the previous existing medications, herbal supplements, etc. were either worthless, somewhat toxic, or potentially highly addictive.

New sleep medications (there are 2-3, Lunestra is the only one I remember) DO show remarkable improvement in all most types of sleep disorders for short term treatment (4 mo's or less), but long-term studies need to be done (read: the govt. needs to pay us research $$$).

I'm tempted, gotta admit it. I just don't trust meds all that much unless it's kinda critical, like antihistamines when my sinuses are impacted, or antibiotics when I have and infection. Beyond that, I just don't put a lot of faith in pills, ya know?

Johnfields, what's a "powernap?"

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Madster- a power nap is a short nap 30min or so that really takes off the edge you dont get much rem but it helps you function. The Navy has usally and hour to an hour and a half lunch so most of the guys would get 30 min or so nap and then grab some chow ( of course this only applies to when you are deployed) It's a valuable tool I still use today.

John Fields

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have sleep disorders too but sometimes honey and milk helps but a hot water bottle does too in the winter. I've had it all my life, not sleeping well, tossing and turning, really vivid nightmares.... list goes on. I think it runs in my family tho, my mum gets really bad nightmares sometimes too. Try the honey and milk tho, doesn't sound nice but it really is.
    ~Lover~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know more than one person that's had the same problem, and said they started sleeping normally as soon as they started smoking weed. Try a cup of tea and a joint in the evening before bedtime.

I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

i had severe insomnia about 2 years ago now. I'll have to agree with abberant, a small toke half a hour before bed, and you'll be out. also deep breathing and focusing on relaxing helps.When breathing, fill the bottom of your lungs first and control the air as it fills up into your collarbones.and breathe out through your nose in controlled long breaths. Clear your mind of daily stress before going to bed,(no point in worrying about it, can't do anything about it right then) and give yourself time to sleep. If you're feeling rushed("i have to fall alseep so i can get up in exactly 8 hours...") you'll have a harder time sleeping. Streching before bed also helps. lets you feel relaxed, sometimes your mucsles are restless, esp. if you've been sitting infront of a comp/canvas all day.
    It's a tough battle, but the best thing is to let it go. stop stressing about how you're not sleeping, and find ways to tire your body out. Insomnia is most often caused by an overactive mind and underactive body. I have great sleeping habits now, even a little to the other side, if i don't hit my bed on time, i will get very tired very quickly, and fall asleep even when trying to stay awake. :-) so that's my opinion, hopefully you can take something from my experience and apply it your life. I hated not being able to concentrate, and after a while, even the shadows seem a little scary.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I guess curing sleep disorder should be one reason to legalize marijuana...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know working as a waiter while I have been in University has not helped in any way. The late nights and early mornings really caused some problems but one thing which helped was exhausting myself physically. By that I mean going as hard as possible at the gym, no matter how fast my mind would run my body would laugh at it and turn out the lights.

I know as artists we tend to sit a little more in the week than the average individual so if you are not in some type of activity that is physically demanding you may want to give it a go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, if you're not sleeping, you can study during those hours. There's really not much to do around 3 or 4 am, so you can study or read a book. It sure as hell beats watching tv. When you wake up and do your daily things, the lack of sleep and the activities you did will leave you pretty tired and you'll get a good sleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use to have trouble going to sleep. I could go to sleep, but only sleep about 4 hours a night on weekdays when I was going to high school. I'm out now and don't have a problem unless I'm worried about something different than my regular schedule I have to do in the morning. Sleeplessness is usually a result of stress. Try changing your schedule (if you can). If a job is wearing you out, try to find another job. Cut stuff out of your busy day that isn’t important. Having not enough free time will create you stress. If not, go exercise before going to bed in the evenings. Do something that will absolutely wear you out to the point you become so exhausted you have to fall asleep. You know those days when you do yard work and it absolutely wears you out and you wanna go take a nap? Try to replicate that. Also, get one of those noise maker things that has rain on a tin roff, ocean surf, white noise, summer night, etc on it. It will help block out unwanted noises that might wake you up and create a rhythmic sound that will sooth you to sleep. Also, if you constantly look at the clock at night thinking, "I got 2 hours before I wake up, I might as well...", cover it with tape so you can't see it. As long as you set your alarm you'll be okay. You won't look at it when you wake up during the night, you'll just go to sleep and not worry what time it is. Try all of this before taking meds. You take them to go to sleep now, then later you'll find out they cause heart attacks, strokes, and lord knows what else. I tried them before and when I woke up and my mouth felt like the Sahara, only with a wet dog taste. I think insomnia does run in the family though. My mom has had it since she switched over to working the night shift, of course that's only natural since sleeping during the day does mess you up. I've done all nighters before and I only sleep 6 hours instead of 8 when I sleep.

-Brad Cossey

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by johnfields
    Madster- a power nap is a short nap 30min or so that really takes off the edge you dont get much rem but it helps you function. The Navy has usally and hour to an hour and a half lunch so most of the guys would get 30 min or so nap and then grab some chow ( of course this only applies to when you are deployed) It's a valuable tool I still use today.
    REM is part of the problem. It seems I seldom have "peaceful" dreams. I either have discomforting and disturbing ones, or I am so close to awake I don't dream as much as slightly filter out the outside world.

Seems like a lot of others with sleep problems don't enjoy good dreams...

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I live with my mother right now and she was diagnosed as an insomniac when I was a kid, and as we all know the saying, misery loves company. So it goes without being said, the best sleep I've ever gotten was when I was living by myself, in bed at 9pm, up at 4 or 5am. That doesn't happen when I'm at her place. If she's not leaving the tv on late at night, she's got the radio on, and they're both so damn loud I've asked her if she's loosing her hearing. As often as I have asked her to not turn on the things, she goes ahead and does it anyway. It's something I can live with as I'm pretty active in the day, but the vacations are a nightmare. I don't get as much physical activity in during the semester breaks, so her sleep habits affect mine all the worse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EDIT= Ok forget what I wrote...i asked my mom what she would do and she said= Visit a Doctor..sleep disorder is nothing you should take lightly...

But you could still take a hot shower befor going to bed....

Last edited by corky13; June 19th, 2005 at 02:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to have insomnia.

If you want to get good sleep, try these:
    1. Don't take naps during the day.
    2. Only use your bed for sleeping! Not studying, sitting, or anything else.
    3. Refrain from exercising 2 hours before you go to bed. But exercise a lot during the day.
    4. Either: Don't drink alchohol before you sleep, or drink so much you pass out.
    5. Watch a funny TV show before you sleep, like Conan or Family Guy.

Also, insomnia is usually just a symptom, not the root, of the main problem. Are you depressed? Do you have a lot of stress in your life? You can figure out and deal with the main problem, your insomnia will go away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There isn't just one single cause for insomnia. Thats why for some melatonin does work, others it doesn't, blanket statements are often wrong because people are different... For someone who's body is not producing the right amount of melatonin, it might work. For others, not at all. There have been tons of information in this post. Since everyone is unique, some will work, some won't. It kind of sucks that there is no easy answer, and honestly you have to find out for yourself whats wrong.

I agree they can be very serious and cause problems. If it gets to the point you can't function in your daily life... I'd say see a doctor. Depending on how serious your problem and what is causing it, it can cause you a lot of harm.

So many of you have trouble sleeping! I guess art is a good thing to do when sleep eludes you.

Good luck with your sleep issues

oh p.s. my method of sleeping when not able to is:

1. start reading E's theory of relativity
    2. hot tea from mountain rose herbs (used to be called moon ease, think they changed the name) but something in that knocks me out.
    3. half a glass of red wine (i'm 80lbs it drops me fast)
    4. if I'm sick and awake, phenegren, I couldnt' stay away if I wanted to.
    5. Turkey and boxed wine! (kidding)

Not that any of that would work for anyone else, and of course I don't have insomnia on a regular basis. And I take enough prescription drugs to keep me alive that have sleepy side effects anyway.

Last edited by Marie; June 19th, 2005 at 05:36 PM. Reason: the day i don't edit a post, is the day ... freezes over
    --marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting

Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi~

I don't have insomnia, but I do suffer from this thing called sleep paralysis. I think is the term. So basically it's when your mind is awake but your body is sleeping. I have had it since I was 16, and now I am 25.. It's not that bad but it was right shocking few years back. SO I couldn't sleep much.

But the worst thing is the hallucination that kicks in. See all these weird things, people, figures and then the sounds kick in. repetitive words or phrases. Very very freaky. I used to love scarey movies, but now I can barely watch even thrillers. The images are stored and comes back to haunt me when I am trying to sleep......

I remember watching this japanese horro movie called "juon" it was remade as "the grudge" in the states. I hardly slept for two weeks, my friends had to sleep over constantly and watch over me because I would get that thing and open my eyes wide and stare at the blank ceiling. That's what my friends told me, I was frantically trying to give them a clue to shake me awake rolling my eyes and squinting..

But these days, I just have my eyes shut and try not to think. I usually feel some weight sitting down next to me before I break from it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i can't sleep either, i have an irregular sleep cycle and i've gone 3 days with out sleep, my body was tired but my mind was awake. Drinking does not help. i try to work but i just get lazy and just hang around doing nothing just letting my mind drift off. I like my Dreams thats what i look forward when i go to sleep. I love nightmares. working out helps out, gets my body really tired.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Speaking of irregular sleep cycles, last night I got 4 hours sleep. The night before I got 11 hours. You'd think it would all even out in the end, but it doesn't.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.