C.O.W. - #017: Hill Stomper - VOTING!!!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your fav! Regarding the topic!

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • palal

1 0.82%
  • PhilHolland

6 4.92%
  • Helzon

9 7.38%
  • End Hits

0 0%
  • leckronium

8 6.56%
  • Gloklund

3 2.46%
  • Matt Dixon

43 35.25%
  • Main Loop

0 0%
  • young paddy1

1 0.82%
  • AndrewLey

2 1.64%
  • MIKECORRIERO

11 9.02%
  • killerbee

0 0%
  • Form

1 0.82%
  • hallo

0 0%
  • redehlert

6 4.92%
  • prostate sunrise

31 25.41%
  • luxun

0 0%
  • 0kelvin

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Cow C.O.W. - #017: Hill Stomper - VOTING!!!

ROUND #017 VOTING

Topic: Hill Stomper

Deadline for the voting: Thursday, 23 June 2005

Posting thread (closed):
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44807

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    palal:

PhilHolland:
    concept: Gaireeth The Hill Stomper - by Phil Holland
    "During my travels across Clinso Ridge I came across a somewhat astonishing sight. I found myself at the peak of the mountian staring at what the locals call a 'Gaireeth The God of Hills'. At first I feared greatly that this would be my final sight, however I soon learned that this monster of a creature was friendly. And perhaps a more shocking bit of information was that in fact this giant can communicate in our native tongue. It would appear that he has protected the local villagers for several hundred years. I was fascinated by all of this and decided to see if I could somehow speak to the beast. He briefly in a deep voice explained that he left his home from deep southern hills of Koroj during a war that apparently separated several factions of his people. He spoke of bloodshed and extreme agony, yet Gaireeth has a hopeful twinge in his voice. He says he knows that others survived and one day they will be united. I asked him how he knew of this and he told me 'a little bird told me'."

Helzon:
    concept: Dourge
    Have you seen them? Last known whereabouts of Ionima and Arginald Crig: First Hillocks of Srinagar
    3rd Rising, 10th Major Mark of the one hundredth year passing of the P.L.C.E (Post Ludditic Crusadic Era)
    I begin this report with some rather delightful news to the Supreme Ludditian Committee. We have lost but only three Dourge's in the last month with the following associated casualties:
    1)Hibberster Kalwinkles
    2)Ionima Crig (wife of following)
    3)Arginald Crig
    Stibenard Auglend sustained some crushing wounds along his left side...he's alright now.
    This represents a marked decline (calculated by beads and fingers) in the number of deaths and disabilities. Far below last year passing's height of five thousand per week.
    In terms of progress I must also announce that the last of what the fallen elitist intellectual empire called the "Himilayan Range" is no more. A master yardsman has measured it's height (by the only instrument allowed on hand, his thumb of course) to be a mere half a meter above sea level.
    It has taken more than five thousand teams fifty years at the cost of one hundred thousand lives...but this milestone should set a worthy example to all those who dare hold the subversive thought of a world that is not indeed flat.
    I daresay the gall of anyone to hold such a filthy notion. Heresy I say!
    Teams have also reported that the 'Alps' are well under control...as are the 'Urals' and we look to the stubborn 'Atlas' range in the coming year.
    Oh the glory of Earth as it was intended by the maker....flat from horizon to horizon. To his glorious intelligent design we commit ourselves.
    Yours,
    Hingbricker Levelspurn
    (Eastern Hemispheric Operations Co-ordinator)
    P.s. You may or may not find attached (by sticky resin) a monitary pledge form for the orphaned Crig children. Give generously...so that they too may follow their parent's shining example.

End Hits:
    concept: High plains stomper
    A nomad, planting itself in moisture rich hills, moving on when they dry up.

leckronium:
    concept: The hills are alive with the sound of...STOMP!!!!
    Ever wonder how Earth's terrain got to be the way it is today? We know from studying geological formations that obvious formations like lakes, rivers, and canyons are all formed from water drainage. Mountain ranges are formed from tectonic plates moving against one another in opposite directions. But what about other less obvious formations like prairies, meadows, and the plains that are scattered throughout the world? Any answers that scientists may come up with could be true but there is one reason that they might not know about, Glomp von Stompp.
    Glomp has been recorded into history ever since man was aware of his own existence. Being one of a kind, this gigantic mass of a beast has been carved into cave walls, written into books, painted into paintings, and sung about in songs. Much of these recordings have also told about great destruction that often result in earthquakes and other natural disasters. Not a whole lot is known about Glomp other than that there are long periods of time where there are no recordings of his appearances. We 're not sure why there are gaps and we don't know what causes him to stir from his slumber. The last recorded appearance was in Austria in the 1930's where a series of hills and a family who liked to sing upon the tops of them mysteriously disappeared within minutes.

Gloklund:
    concept: The Wandering Perhamish Hill Stomper
    The race of Perhamish Hill Stomper's are a cheerful lot, most sleep lazily throughout any given day till starlight when they appear drunkenly wandering the hilly landscape to which they are so accustomed. They are awkward and clumsy in their gate which resembles that of a Bansailien toddler just learning to walk. These creatures are relatively harmless as long as you don't get caught in their unpredictable path.

Matt Dixon:
    concept: The Tale of the Hill Stomper
    Pity the people of Beantrickle Mills,
    Who build their small homes on the tops of round hills;
    For that land is the home of a twelve-toed aggressor,
    That presses their dwellings with terrible pressure.
    This bully's main hobby is leaping aloft,
    Searching for houses he hasn't yet squashed.
    Once spied, he approaches, with cunning so smart,
    Then launches himself with a thunderous fart.
    He crushes the village, once peaceful and sweet,
    And licks up his lunch from the soles of his feet.

Main Loop:
    concept: Artic Hill Dweller
    This species generally doesnt stomp any hill larger than an average mole hill or ant hill, but he has found that stomping on large hills attracts prettier female AHD's.. This means he gets to score a lot more than the average AHD, thus making him a true playa for real..

young paddy1:
    concept: There is only one relligious docturine in the hills below the purple mountains of Gustar, "If you want to live a long life build, tall, build pointy and...."
    it has been handed down in a badly burnt manuscript for thousands of years, the problem is the all important burnt bit had the best advice,
    "build in a valley, build of brick and stone and iron, no wood or thatch, no wattle or dawb is to be used for construction of your houses. For when the Fatarsed Stompovirous comes he'll crush your home to splinters."
    The Stompovirous' diet consists entirely of Mammogul eggs found in their nests high in the purple mountains. The shells of the eggs are a foot thick and solid granite, no tooth or claw could possibly open them from the outside. That is why the Stompovirous swallows the egg whole by opening its trisected mouth and locking the top of its erectile horn into a pocket in its back expanding its throat and jumping face first at the pointy end of the egg. Once inside the Stompovirous turns the egg up the other way and leaps off the nearest precipice bouncing on its hardened backside and pushing off again with its giant feet, from hill top to hill top.

AndrewLey:
    concept: Termite Hill Stomper
    This creature uses its powerful claws and hind legs to stomp through the tough walls of the termite hills. It then uses its long tongue and claw to catch its juicy prey.

MIKECORRIERO:
    concept: Walking Nature
    This gigantic living land mass is given the name "Hill Stomper" by the natives. The native inhabitants of this region owe thier lush beautiful scenery to the Walking miracle of mother Nature which provides nourishment,water,flowers,trees,oxygen and a home to the birds in the sky. It appears from far back in the hills walking through the mist and fog shaking the ground for miles as it makes its nightly rounds of feeding the land in which it lives. This miracle of nature houses thousands of birds and disappears without a trace before dawn.

killerbee:

Form:

hallo:
    concept: "...and as the enemy unleashed the Hill Stompers, the battlefield turned into a stormy ocean of sand and dust, trembling beneath our feet..." - Anonymous

redehlert:
    concept: The Bounding Bluff!
    Ah yes, the day is not complete unless you’ve spent a spell watching the cavorting ways of the Bounding Bluff! See it prance hither and thither in giant leaps and bounds upon the hilltops rousting, better yet, launching(!) resident mound moles into the air. Seeing how they deftly catch the litter critters with one of their three, whip-like tongues is truly amusing to observe.

prostate sunrise:
    concept: The Verdant Strider of the Kamorian Plains is a wonderful creature of ill repute. Known mostly for devastating the hill country during the spring, they are not well understood. Most do not realize the true reason that the Striders stomp the hills during spring.
    For in actuallity during the spring the beautiful Ardur Blossum blooms, covering the hills in a swath of pastel brilliance and filling the air with sweet, sweet smells that the mind can barely contain, let alone comprehend.
    But what little do people know, is that the Ardur Blossum is the sign that a female Strider is in heat. That the aroma of the bloosums send the Bull Striders into a frenzy. In their passion and ardor, the Bulls rut the country side driven by sight and smell of the blossum.
    Which is why you never step into the gooey mess of a Striders passing.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    luxun:
    concept: deep in the "enormeous" woods of denmark, lives the crature only known as "the creature that inspired that horrible stomp music" you guess how it got its name one day a man went into the forest and when he came out he had a weird need to stomp brooms at the ground, people thought he was insane but some people considered it music and started doing it to, thats how the stomp music came to be.
    as for the creature itself it suffers from hard cleaning madness, and sometimes when the frustration of not being able to clean the hill completely gets to big, it starts hitting the ground with its brooms, one of the brooms have grown together with the creature because of it being in its hand always.

0kelvin:
    concept: Stumpbill Stomper
    The Stumpbill Stomper is the heaviest known flying species of bird. Unlike most birds, its skeletal structure is thick and sturdy. It has immensely strong wings and legs, which allow it to fly despite its heavy frame. However, the birds have very little stamina and are not able to fly long distances at a time. Unable to migrate to warmer climates, the Stumpbill spends its winters hibernating underground. After gorging itself on whatever food it can find for a week or two, the Stumpbill begins its ascent. It flies directly upward for a matter of hours, expending all its energy to get as much altitude as possible. Once the bird has used up the last of its stamina, or the air gets too thin for the bird to fly any higher, the Stumpbill tucks in its wings and goes into a freefall. The Stumpbill hits the ground, beak-first, with enough force to bury itself ten to twenty feet underground. The impact knocks it unconscious, but its sturdy frame usually prevents any major injuries. That is, unless it misses the soft earth of the hills and lands in the rocky valley. Just be thankful I don't have an illustration of that tragic scenario.

Thanks
    OK - before voting/posting read this!!!

1. Please give c&c or a reason why you voted for the image!

2. Feel free to comment on any or all entries, the artists will appreciate it!

Note:
    not accepted entries:

Eriboss
    Your last entry wasn't worked out much better than your "very early WIP", also your concept was not defined, seemed that you didn't know yourself what your creature was doing

Blitz I looked in your sketchbook and you can do a lot better...even your sketches are better than your entry

possessed i couldn't spot the creature as i mentioned before..the whole pic is small and blurry also...

fanboy Your creature looks exactly like an illustration of a Styracosaurus (thx brokenSpirit ), i don't see a sense of posting this in COW, where you should create your own creature/concept...

princeofhapiness This furball is too less to enter as a creature-design

other entries, which made me thinking about taking them to the poll at all:

End Hits
    i looked in your sketchbook and your entry is matching your artistic level, though you really should try to do a full rendering with light/ shadow, volume, depth, color diversity etc

Form No prob at all, just missing the concept

luxun i looked through your sketchbook and was quite unsure about accepting your entry (especially after seeing the soldier - it's classes better than your entry), but then again i read that you are "only" 15 years old, which made my decision to accept this entry. But the next time i expect more effort, even if it's only a pencil sketch (which you're better at)

Thanks
    ...as you can see the requirements got harder, but this will make COW even better and also the artists skills...so the artists whose entries didn't make it to the poll this time should see this as a motivation to improve their efforts for the next time...

Thanks
    This just had to be said. *Warning fanboy moment*
    0kelvin, redehlert, PhilHolland, prostate, leckronium, gloklund, Dixon, and
    naturally MikeC.
    Incredibly humbling work; each one striking and distinctive with it's own voice and feel. Simply outstanding! You still make me sit back and wonder how the hell you make that jaw dropping magic.
    All right..fanboy moment over...my hand is tired from ass patting..
    I'll leave the litany of crits to the MightyCow...or arteric..for they are better at it than I am...
    Cheers All!

Thanks

cor blimey!

what a wonderful round. the quality has really improved from recent weeks. there were 3 entries that really stood out for me.

winner: Matt Dixon. The comedic appeal of your entry and your wonderful poem clinched it for you mate!

my second place goes to prostate sunrise: a fantastic entry. your creature is wonderful.

3rd fave was mikes. a really different surreal design and lots of visual interest to boot. great entry.

generally i am very impressed. the quality has definately been upped this time.

Thanks
    Some ace designs this week. Matt Dixon, Prostate,. Andrew Ley, mike, Phil...

but my vote goes to REDHELERT.

Excellent colours, very well done. Pretty interesting concept aswell. pretyy amusing.

2nd place would be either Mat dixon for Comic value or Prostate, for just a cool ass looking creature.

PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Fozzy Hehe yeah, I was suddenly bowled over with work this week so didnt get a chance to work on me COW at all, so that first verrry early WIP was as far as I got, sorry meant to say earlier that i wasnt able to take part

Im likin MikeC's again this week. Dixon's is hilarious, and prostate sunrise's is looking pretty cool too, although.. psstch Thunderdome enemy

My vote goes to Mike Correiro, for the concept.

good work all round though, I should be less busy next week, so should be able to enter

Thanks
    I dunno.. no entiry really did it for me this time. kinda lacks inspiration
    I mean, some had good concepts or style or technical skill, but I don't think someone really mastered all the aspects. the one that was closest to that, I think, was matt dixon. he picked a kind of childish tale and went all the way with it. it's nice, I like it.

-Stav

Freedom is awesome.
    www.croovman.deviantart.com/gallery

On-going project - RATS!

Thanks
    I voted for Prostate - I really like the lighting and the sense of scale.

Lots of good work this week.

Thanks
    I'm out. I'm tired of the rules and requirements. I feel I don't have enough freedom in choosing what to draw. It's no longer fun and it seems more and more like the evil art director from hell contest.

Helzon, awesome work as usual, it's a jaw-dropper. MIKECORRIERO, weird, I love it, great colours especially.

Thanks
    I'm going with Mike this week. Very cool idea, and a beautiful paint.

0Kelvin would be my second choice for coming up with such an original concept, and for the look on the face of your creation! Hehe! No time for individual comments I'm afraid, but there were some excellent entries this round - well done to all!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by possessed
    I'm out. I'm tired of the rules and requirements. I feel I don't have enough freedom in choosing what to draw. It's no longer fun and it seems more and more like the evil art director from hell contest.
    Come on possessed, who wants to give up now, eh?

I really don't want to piss you off or something like that, but really this rules are made to keep COW at a certain level, so that artists and viewers are pleased and inspired to continue watching this activity...

heads up man!

Thanks
    Fair enough. I think I could have done better, in hindsight, but we'll just have to see.
    My vote goes to Helzon, but it's a tough choice.

A step in one drection is two steps from another.

Thanks
    my vote goes for form!
    I really like some of the others a lot too.
    Helzon has really good design and give it a massiveness, leckronium sure captures the stomping part. MIKECORRIERO has really good concept and art, redehlert's has really strong stomp concept too, 0kelvin's is just so adorable, but all in all, when I see form's design, it matches the image in my head when I see hte name hill stomper. So my vote goes for him.

Thanks
    Hey All,
    First - thanks for the votes and comments received thus far - I am humbled...which is better than being hobbled, cuz the latter hurts and makes ambulation an issue. At any rate, some incredibly mint pieces and the decision was most difficult.
    I gave my vote to Leckronium for the wonderful tale and well developed sense of 'stomp' on the hill. Atmospheric and light with the waves of dust and debris really balances out the weight of your creature. My only wish was to see a small arm pokin' out amongst the crushed hill top to signify the end to the thought that the hills are alive with music.
    Helzon, Prostate, MikeC and MattD - fab entries that made my decision most difficult. BTW - MattD, I hope to God that you create a children's book someday with this creature in it - all poems please!
    Cheers,
    D

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    WoW! thanks for the vote red, much appreciated and quite unexpected with so many good entries this week. Now that you mentioned it, I should have stuck an arm or two in there for the fun factor.

I will vote once I get my thoughts straightened out on everyones pieces. Maybe if I get the time I'll attempt another critique section since we seem to be lacking in those as of lately. What happened to the Mighty Crit Cow?...did somebody tip her in her pasture as she stand in slumber?

Thanks
    i voted for matt, because his entry gave me that wow effect and because i cant see any faults in it, the runner up for me was prostate but i went with matt becayse i felt that prostates missed a little rendering. but still lovely work from everyone

my sketchbook

"One must always draw, draw with the eyes, when one cannot draw with a pencil"
    Balthazar Klossowski de Rola.
    SSG XXXI
    Lohan-Luxun-Prophet-Bendragon-dan liimatta-Evil Sloth

Thanks
    my vote goes to Matt. It feels mean just picking one because their are so many great entry. Close behind were prostate sunrise, Mike and PhilHolland, but the expression on Matts creature caught my eye like a fish hook , and the concept/poem was a sweet touch. great stuff.

Good work all!

We'll ride the spiral to the end, we may just go where no one's been

Thanks
    Dixon, just too damn cool... it's got a nice splash of Python in it too. Got my vote this time around.

Thanks
    Just wanted to humbly thank those that voted for my piece...
    I am stunned....and incredibly thankful...

Thanks
    I'm with Sir Dixon this week for the sheer energy in his composition and creative concept. SMASH!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Helzon
    Just wanted to humbly thank those that voted for my piece...
    I am stunned....and incredibly thankful...
    I'm one of the people who voted for you. I really liked this piece. You're coloring is still a bit weak but the best I've seen from you yet. You're creature was just really unique and stuck out. Keep em coming! I always have liked your style.

My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    ah, it was a tie between redehlert and 0kelvin...i reaaaaallly loved your concept 0kelvin...it's a well thought, creative and fresh idea! Thumbs up for you!

But i voted for redehlert, i just love the little moles flying through the air And what i always take as a bonus, your creature was not looking like something we already know...that's the reason why i didn't vote for Matt Dixon or prostate sunrise, though their renderings are awesome like always, especially prostate sunirse's - wow! Your poem is the best description i saw yet in COW, Matt Dixon!!! So cool...

Some of the good old COW gladiators saved COW to go in the summer break - for this round at least!!!

Thanks
    ok was alil late
    congrats to the winners

heres my entry , haha.

and higher res
    http://home.comcast.net/~tadman3d/myart/stomperbig.jpg

Thanks
    I dropped a dime for Matt Dixon, although Okelvin, Phil and Prostate definitely deserve the same props. It's just the one I could picture appearing in print in some sort of professional realm. And of course there was the poem.

Thanks
    Yeah, I had to go with Matt this week. The unbridled fun and the poem pushed his piece over the top of some prime entries (it made me feel like stomping hills and licking the juicy bits off my toes, but just for a little bit). Phil, Helzon, Mike, redehlert, AndrewLey, and prostate sunrise also gave it up, along with a prime concept by 0kelvin. Props to all!

Thanks
    I have the facts and Im voting MIKECORRIERO. Its just lovely. Prostate sunrise a VERY close second.

Thanks
    hey everybody
    my vote goes to matt dixon. just like mike said, this thing has lots of character to it and the pose is wonderful. so much energy flowing out of this piece just through the character alone. i think this one defines "hill stomper" the best out of all the entries.

polylover.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar
    But i voted for redehlert, i just love the little moles flying through the air And what i always take as a bonus, your creature was not looking like something we already know...
    Hey Fozzyb - appreciate the vote and reason behind it - always good to know what grabbed a viewer's attention! Many thanks, bro.
    Cheers!
    D

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3