Painter IX - Crash crash crash

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter IX - Crash crash crash

Today Painter has crashed 4 times on me. I want to hear from an actual Corel employee on this one- someone who can actually FIX something, or HAVE IT FIXED. I do NOT want to hear from someone who is just telling me how to work around it. I don't want to avoid the crash, I want the folks at Corel to actually lessen Painter's weaknesses, not try to avoid the issue with it's "strengths." I know them- been there & done that. I've been using Painter for 10 years, now, and am astonished that it is no more stable than it was back then. IT IS ON VERSION 9, FOLKS. MAKE THE PROGRAM STABLE ALREADY.

Today's repeating issue: I copy/paste anywhere from 5 to 20 times, working on an image that is 1024x1024, and on a tiny portion of a simple layer. Painter seems to like to crash when I'm selecting with the rectangle tool. Because Painter crashes so often, I save often, but it's simply not enough- I can work for an hour in PS without a save, and not have to worry about my work being lost. With Painter, I save about every 10 minutes, and it drives me crazy that I still lose work.

I have a gig of ram, not that it should matter- There should be no troubleshooting with what is going on with my computer, only what is going on with Painter. Why can no one see that? Photoshop is running on the same computer at the same time, and doesn't crash 4 times within an 8 hour period. I don't see why Painter should.

I want to fully love Painter so much... but good grief- Corel makes it so very hard to do. I use it about twice as much as I use PS, and just wish I could use it solely. I make sure my texture team knows Painter for it's many strengths. Hardly a week goes by where I'm not teaching someone how to do something in Painter... BUT... I feel like the designers and programmers just don't care about fixing ANYTHING, and it is driving me crazy!

PS: Don't tell me to calm down. 10 years of dealing with these issues gives me ample reason for being irate- but I'm only severly irritated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Question:

Have you tried contacting an actual Corel employee? If not, here's one:

Corel Painter Program Manager, Rick Champagne

rick.champagne@corel.com

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can certinly commiserate with you Feeb.
    Recently I finally broke down and bought the Painter 9 upgrade hoping that the serious problems I'd had with 8 would finally be solved.

It was quite the moral struggle on my part to give Corel more money in the hope that they would fix the horrible bugs in thier software in the new version when by all rights they should have solved them already and given all thier users a damn patch. It's not like I was in desperate need of new brush varients. I just wanted the bugs fixed.
    Which brings me to five minutes ago when Painter 9 pulled it's magical dissapearing act on me once again.
    I, like you, have had to accept saving constantly. I also rutinely close down the program every hour or so jsut to purge the pre-built brush file and ssd file with the hopes that that will somehow prevent a crash before I have a chance to save.

It's clearly too much to expect them to patch the problem.

I feel bad bitching because I love Painter and use it almost exclusivly. too bad I hate it as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think a "Painter Poof" thread needs to be stickied.

Will make it easier for Rick, Wes, and the crew at Corel to peruse for info as well.

-Ed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi feeb,

I don't generally reply to threads, but I wanted you to know that I completely understand your frustration. It's a horrible feeling when an application dissapears while you're working and end up losing the changes you made since the last time you saved. Or worse, possibly losing your file altogether.
    The Painter Team has made stability it's number one priority. We've been tackling all issues that we've been able to pinpoint, one at a time, and the progress so far is extremely positive. A perfect testament to our commitment, was the Painter Riff corruption issue. This was a problem that plagued Painter since long before Corel took ownership of it, and we were finally able to solve the problem and deliver a fix for it, thanks to all of the people who sent us their corrupt files that served as clues to the actual problem.
    "Painter Poof" as some people have been calling it, is one that we have been working of cracking and we believed that we had resolved it. We finally had a customer who could reproduce it consistently provide us with the steps to do it, and again, we delivered a fix for it. This issue, which sounds similar to yours, was while make selections using the lasso tool. We confirmed with the customer afterwards that the issue was resolved.
    It seems that you are experiencing something similar, and we will work with the information you already provided. If you do find a way to reproduce it consistently, send me the steps to do it and we'll fix it.
    The Painter Team is very much committed to improving Painter. More importantly, we're absolutely committed to every one of our customers and we care very much about their experience with our products. We obviously can't develop every single idea that comes our way, but we will fix every single problem, such as the one you experienced. We just need to figure out how to reproduce it consistently and then track down what is causing it.
    My line is always open and I'd love to hear from any of you - good or bad. Thanks for being candid with us, and we'll continue to monitor the groups for more clues.

Kindest Regards,

Rick Champagne
    Program Manager, Corel Painter
    rick.champagne@corel.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Again,

As an update to my previous message, we have been working on an issue that was originally raised by Britt Martin and Greg Banning. They were able to get us some clear steps on reproducing a problem that caused Painter 9.1 to lock up when using a brush with the Dab Type set to Static Bristle, and the Method set to Digital Wet, if the brush size is larger than 89.
    This issue affects the following brushes in the default Digital Watercolor Brush category (but only if their size is set to larger than 89): Pure Water Bristle, Finer Mop Brush, Dry Brush, Coarse Water, Coarse Mop Brush, and Coarse Dry Brush.
    The good news is that since they reported the issue, we have been able to track down the root of the problem - and we fixed it. The new Painter 9.1 update will be released as soon as testing has completed in the next few weeks.
    Again, it's extremely important that we receive detailed information on how to reproduce issues. We also need to know which OS you are working in. For whatever reason, Windows users seem to experience problems that Mac users do not. Although some issues may not be Windows-related, we still need to know which OS you are working in as it may provide the information we need to track down the problem.
    Thanks again to Britt and Greg! This takes us one step closer...

Kindest Regards,

Rick Champagne
    Program Manager, Corel Painter
    Corel Corporation
    rick.champagne@corel.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Rick,

Great news about the DWC variants at over Size 89! Good work, and congratulations.

I'll refer people to this thread and/or paraphrase the basics of your message.

If you want to stop by and post this at TutorAlley, you know you'll be welcome.

Say thanks to the team!

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

how's THIS for irony?

I started painter up while typing my last entry, and when I closed my browser window, it had CRASHED!!! I got an error message that told me I will see the status of Painter if I hit Cancel, but it regrettably did nothing but close the window, leaving me with a big white-spot where my browser-window was, and a "not responding" message next to the title bar of Painter IX. Murphy is working overtime today. I got the error message back:

http://artbq.com/paintercrashes/painter-crash_01.jpg

I closed down my browser, tried to open painter again:

http://artbq.com/paintercrashes/painter-crash_02.jpg

It's open now... but I had to restart my machine...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rick, thanks for the feedback. I hear the new patch has some nice fixes. It's been a while since I had the crashes I complained about earlier, as I've been using PS much more recently. I will be sure to keep a detailed step-by-step on making painter crash. I've certainly found multiple ways of making it do so, sometimes arbitrarily, sometimes following a similar work path. I'm going to be painting a lot of skill icons for our game today in Painter, but I doubt I'll get crashes from 64x64 images... but you never know with painter. In any event, I appreciate your effort, and can sympathize that the inherent problems stem from the Metacreations days... so respectfully; by way of explanation of my grief: my biggest gripe with Corel is that so many new releases have come out since then, that snazz up the package, but leave the classic problems intact. Being a game artist, I'm all-too familiar with bugs, and the necessity to patch around some of them, but some bugs are simply a crime to let through... especially when they are glaring problems, and they get through over and over.

I have other detailed issues with painter that I will keep a list of, and send in an email to you with thorough explanations. It is mostly a wish-list of cleaning up tool behaviors, selection faults, etc.

I'll go nab the patch today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My experience with the new patch? No meaningful change. I feel like ranting here, but Feeb covered that admirably.
    The guy that sits one desk over today got the crash&corrupt that I was getting, and today I'm getting the basic "POOF". I can't repeat it- but it keeps happening(oxymoron?). This is after not only patching it but having I.T. replace my OS, and hard drive- and then reinstalling everything and repatching. I have to assume the problem does not lie with me (although I do have a feeling that the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principal is at work here- so maybe it IS me).
    Like feeb I've got 10 years in this program- I really love it- but it's broken. I've got work to do, and my new cintiq will be here monday(!!) so I'm going to switch to PS (since I will have a work around now for the canvas rotation).

I have lost so much #%$@ work over the years- and even if you keep saving what you did in the past 10 minutes could be so organic as to be impossible to replicate.

I'm like a dog who's been hit too much! Or something like that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

Okay well, i saw 9.1 was out, and theres that special price of $179, soooooooo I departed with the the money...

This is my second day with it, and i just thought
    "Oh yes I will select that and copy it onto a new layer" ..
    after making my selection i mouse up and
    crash without warning and tears well up in my eyes.

I thought 9.1 was supposed to fix these crashes???

Sometime my colours get this multicoloured "noise" , i suspect its my graphics card? (why doesnt this happen with any other program)

Also Shift + Ctrl + Alt seems to be unresponsive, i cannot resize my brush this way... there seems to be no way to map this function either!

Happy crashing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    spasmFace,

Can't solve your crashing problem, but maybe this will help:

Instead of copying and pasting something to a Layer, select it, then hold down the Alt/Option key and click inside the selection using the Layer Adjuster tool. That places a copy exactly above the original selected area.

If you want to move the selected area to a Layer, just click inside the selection. That, too, will place the selected area exactly above its original location.

Some keyboard shortcuts have been changed in Painter IX. The one used to resize your brush is now Ctrl/Command+Alt/Option, then drag out to increase size or in to decrease the size.

Don't know what's causing the "noise", but if you're seeing things all blue/green, make sure your screen colors are set to 24 bit or higher.

Another thing:

If you've just made a large selection and you're finished using it, make a very small selection and use Ctrl/Command+C to copy it to the clip board replacing the large selection.

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahh that is very cool! thank-you very much

i think the patch should update the help file with this.
    brush sizing works perfectly.

the noisy colour only happens very rarely...im on 32bit.

this was the first crash i experienced btw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I sometimes (rarely) see artifacts on the palettes, particularly in Painter 8.

It's when I've been using Painter for a while, with a lot of other programs also running for a long time. It goes away when I shut things down and clean up browser cache, temp files, and sometimes it helps to reboot.

Painter needs resources! Finicky gal that she is.

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i just bought Painter IX....i bet it crashed and disappeared 5 times in half an hour.
    usually when i had multiple layers,with different layer types(watercolour,liquid ink,etc..)
    it is VERY frustrating.
    i hear you,feeb.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the record, I've been using Painter 9.1 everyday this week rather constantly and no crashes of any kind for me.

-DBC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, painter always crashed. Most of the crashes, it just disappears. Everytime it nearly gave me a heart attack. I finally switched to Apple two weeks ago in hope of avoiding this crash issue, because I have been working on a large poster and I must have repainted it 5 times beccause of the stupid crash.

It hasn't crashed on OSX yet...then again I have spent most of the time on learning OSX. Corel should really fix this bug because if it crashes on apple too, I would have no choice but switch to photoshop. or i'll eventually be killed by the program, seriously.

xu'chuang

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation Poof!!!!!!

i love this program really do.. but. that POOF bug is just way too much... it got worse now.. i dont know still what its related to. but i think it's got something to do with selection n brush switching. becuz sometimes i draw a selection go back to my flat color brush n when i click to draw ... POOF!!!

my desktop is as clear as when i booted....... its really really really annoying!!!
    more so im losing my job if i can't get this done by friday and its insane having to save the image every 5 minutes. . i dont lose just the 5 minutes. but the 5 i worked and 5 i have to spend to recover... and that to say the least.. ive lost entire days of work with the corrupt file thingie.... but. u got that one done.. now lets poof the poof crash.. please?

any suggestions on how to prevent it... please reply. closing apps. or having more ram installed didn't work....

i've been using painter since version 7. great job on 9.. just make the poof go away

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Um...

Don't you mean.....

Please make the poof Poof?

P.S. Me too! I just had to completely uninstall every single Painter IX folder and file (except backups) and reinstall... that didn't work. I couldn't even get Painter IX to launch, for pity's sake! I was so fed up that it took me three or four days to get in the mood to try again and this time it worked... crossing my fingers since it's only been a few hours.

P.P.S. Did you know...

Corel has re-released the Painter IX 9.1 Update as you'll see when you go to the page linked below:

New Corel Painter IX 9.1 Update Released on August 17, 2005

Click the text link for your OS, either "Corel Painter IX 9.1 Update - Windows" or "Corel Painter IX 9.1 Update - Macintosh".

On the next page, below the heading "Important Information", Corel explains this is a re-release of the Painter IX 9.1 Update and encourages anyone who downloaded and installed the previous Painter IX 9.1 Update to install the new version.

Important: Read the entire paragraph to get all the info.

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any feedback on the new patch? Is it worth the trouble?
    14) Fixed various instability issues with using selections.
    Does anyone see improvements here? This is a major crash cause and I'd like to know if it has been dealt with to any extent.

Has the patch limited the fatal crash problem elsewhere or solved any other annoying issues in 9.0?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mine still poof's, but not nearly as often since the patch. My poof's actually seem more random now, but much less frequent since the 9.1000001 patch.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.