Sketchbook: A newbie's sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A newbie's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A newbie's sketchbook

EDIT: Ok, Nevermind the stuff I put in the rest of the post, I'm deeply ashamed I didn't update in a WHOLE FREAKING YEAR! Anyways, I'll use this post as putting in thumbnails. Please leave comments!

I joined recently and thought I would create a sketchbook, like all other people do. My main reason is to get commented so I can try to improve. But like the title says, I'm a newbie, so be warned!

I'm not sure if I want to take drawing very seriously, because I'm currently doing this multimedia thing which lasts another 3 years, so that will probably consume all my time. But if I decide to go to an artsy school after these 3 years, I *do* want to have a decent portfolio.

Anyways, here's my first post, a drawing I did today. I'm having quite some problems with drawing small eyes as you might notice.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by boogz; August 8th, 2007 at 06:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, nevermind my post above this one. Sorry that I haven't updated this sketchbook *at all*. Actually, I'm hurting myself the most here, it kinda sucks. Anyways an update:

I've been drawing on and off for the last year, never really studying hard. I picked up Loomis and for the last few days I've really been drawing for about 1-1,5 hours per day. I'm trying to make this something I do every day and keep upping the amount of time I spend drawing.

But enough babbling, here are a few new pictures and I hope to update my sketchbook regulary now. Now I just uploaded some of my best (even though they're still crappy) studies, but from now on I'll upload every piece of scribbled paper.

^--- Loomis

^--- Some more Loomis

^--- I used some references for these.

Crits and comments are most welcome!

Last edited by boogz; December 4th, 2006 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work so far, I hope you stick with it. Keep the posts coming.

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My server is down for maybe a few days, but it'll be up with all the pictures. Untill then I'm going to use another server.

Crits and comments are always welcome (and needed)!

^^--- No references for this one except the skull and the second dude from the left is from some persons sketchbook here on CA. I liked the simplicity in his/her lines, but it didn't really work out with me.

Last edited by boogz; December 4th, 2006 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I watched the White Stripes Under Blackpool Lights DVD and paused it at times to sketch Jack a few times. The other are just Loomis sketches.

Last edited by boogz; December 4th, 2006 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ugh, drawing is getting frustrating, I can't seem to get anatomy right. theres always some muscle too big or an arm out of perspective or whatever.
    Ah well... At least I'm trying.

Last edited by boogz; December 4th, 2006 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I did a digital painting. I grabbed a very old sketch I liked (7+ months old) and put it in photoshop and began painting on top of it. I never really tried to paint, so I learnt alot from this thing.

Painting and the sketch:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, last update for today since I gotta get some SLEEP. Damn I've been drawing alot today and it feels GOOD. I had some frustration the first 2 hours, but then I got to do some fun stuff and it kinda worked out.
    I also learnt alot from three digital paintings (one I'm not going to show since it's just scribbling out some abstract forms which isn't that interesting).

Gimme some feedback, I want to *learn*!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn! There I go again, stopping for a few months. I did *some* stuff, but I lost it and it's not nearly enough as I should have been doing. Anyways...

I got a mirror yesterday and tried it out. I'm really gonna try to do at least 1 hour of drawing each day. I need some help though, what should I be doing? I've done a few self portraits, maybe I should keep doing those for a while, or should I do other stuff too?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I did another hour today, it was frustrating though, I have no idea how to improve. I don't want to learn bad habits, y'know.

Anyways, here are my awfull, awfull drawings:

^-- An awfull selfportrait and some eye and nose sketches.

^-- I read a page in a book and produced the image on the right, a better eye than what I've been doing before.

^-- With what I've learnt, I tried to do another selfportrait, which turned out better but still doesn't look anything like me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

good start!

Hey, welcome. you've got a good start going. the studies from loomis are very smooth. you're headed in the right direction with the self portraits. slow down a little though and think about each mark. also slow down on the shading.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's good to see that you're dedicated to your studies. Definitely keep that up, and pay special attention to those facial proportions. Also, I second pennington that you should try to be a little more thoughtful and experessive with your lines. Vary your line thicknesses according to the importance of the details, and don't draw many scribbly lines where one smooth one would suffice.
    Your off to a very nice start and I can see improvement already. I think your eyes are your strongest work so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it.
    So... Think about my lines, use them more wisely, don't shade like a madman and keep an eye out for proportions. Oki, will try to keep that in mind. (:

^-- I got bored at work and did some scribbling, tried to draw a co-worker's nose and eye, and my own arm+longsleeve.

^-- My latest selfportrait, tried to go easier on the lines and shading, but when I viewed it on my computer I saw one eye was really thick and distracting and the ears arn't really lined up good.

I'm not sure if you see it or not, but I tilted my head a tad down while placing a lamp over my head. I've had some problems in the past trying to draw a face tilted, it always just looks out of proportion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I admit, I haven't done much drawing this weekend, way less than I should have been doing, but I managed to do a self portrait today. I did a goofy face and this is what came out as a result... I liked it better when I was drawing it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ugh, the self portraits arn't really working out lately and I'm slacking off. It's partly due to the fact i have to get up at 7 am, go to work and return home at around 6:30 pm. Tired like all hell when I get back, and not in the mood at all to draw, but I'm constantly trying to push myself.

Really crappy selfportrait, tried to do tilt my head back and grin manically... I just look like a retard and not at all like me. I used my eye for reference, noses are from imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alot of from lifes why not draw somethhing fun to cleanse the artistic palet

Ev'sSketchbook for the lazy minded but willing!
    Help an artist, leave a critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess it's time to tell something about myself now... Still doing that multimedia school thing, but at the moment I have 5 months of working experience at a photo studio. It totally consumes my time and energy, today I really had problems starting to put the first few lines on paper and once I did that I got so frustrated at my lack of skills I crumbled the paper and threw it away (so I'm sorry that you can't see that).

Do you guys have any tips on improving my mood/motivation before I begin? Also, I'm having trouble deciding what to draw, how to improve on the things I suck most at.

Soo....

Evxyza92 - I tried to do that today, 2 drawings got destroyed in the process of it, but I managed to squeeze 1 little drawing in from imagination. The thing is... I can come up with images in my head, but I'm being to afraid I can't put it down on paper, so I keep trying to make an easier image in my head. Isn't it more wise to first fill your head with knowledge before trying to draw something from imagination? Although, on the other hand... I could understand you need to do some non-studies in order to keep having fun.

Okok, enough yapping, heres the slightly less hour of art for today:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo, another day with some drawings, I love the way I've been drawing everyday for a week now, though I had some hard times starting up.

^--- The right two images are based of Sinix early sketchbook, I really love the messy way he sketches. But I guess I shouldn't try to emulate nor force a style, but it was alot of fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep working you are getting better!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ai... It's been a while since I updated and I feel really bad about it. Last Thursday I could hardly draw, since I got home at 11:15 pm and was tired like hell after a stressful day, I really had to get to sleep since I had to wake up at 7 the next morning. That next day I was still pretty damn tired, so I told myself I would draw Saturday.. Which I did, but not enough at all, just 30 minutes and today.. well.. something like that too, absolutely not enough...

Also, I've been a bit afraid for failure lately, which was the main reason I don't draw as much as I should. Always being afraid I'll screw up a drawing and get frustrated after doing so. I really should stop feeling like that. Weirdly enough, when I get home from work at times I feel like 'Ah damn.. Now I have to draw..' and I really don't want to. But once I get drawing and do some things I kinda like, I feel really happy. I'm not sure why I feel like that. Anyways, onto the art...

Newbs - Thanks man! I'll definitely will keep trying to improve. (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, another few sketches for today. I tried to sketch fast, but the results arn't really nice or anything. I should start with anatomy studies soon and do a self portrait.

Also! I really would like to do some environmental paintings and make robots/aircraft/whatever, you guys have any tips on either of these subjects?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your getting better. focus on line quality and confidence. the studies are very nice. also i feel your pain about finding motivation to draw but doing it is its own reward. -one newbie to another-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mjolinr - Yeah, line quality and confidence, really need to practice that more. Every time I'm in the middle of a drawing I remember I need to draw smooth, crisp lines, instead of 10 'sketchy' lines. I'm probably gonna buy a good pen to practice that since I can't erase the lines. (: Anyone know a good pen to use? I like the lines in Mentler's pen art, does he use a special kind of pen?

Oh and, very true, knowing that you've drawn for a while and while doing that you've improved is a great feeling when you really didn't want to draw at the time.

So.. I'm thinking of buying some canvas paper, burnt sienna and burnt umber and start painting in values. You guys think it's a good idea to start painting already, or should I focus on drawing for a lil' while more?

Anyways, here's some more stuff from today.

^--- the ones on the left are from imagination and the right one from a cover of some Kodak leaflet.

^--- Messing around in painter, not really working out.

That's it for today! I definitely should do more, but ugh... too much other stuff and not enough sleeeeeep. Sleeeeb izz goooot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there are a lot of good sketching pens available, however, if you are just planning to use it to doodle and practice, a cheap simple papermate willl do. Before getting into painting, i would advise you to do some tonal studies with graphite and some with charcoal. Also, learn to line things up by eye. If you do want to do tonal studies with oil, just get either ivory black or burnt umber and titanium white, no need to get burnt sienna.

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OldNoobie - Ah, charcoal, ok. I've had some trouble with that though, everytime when I'm drawing with it I seem to be able to wipe off the black marks easily, maybe I'm using the wrong paper? Ah well, I'll ask tomorrow when I go to the local art store. I'll also buy some painting equipment, just in case my hands get itchy.

Sooo... Today I've spend more time drawing then I have before in these 2 weeks. All these things were from reference. The arm study really took alot of time to do, so many details and still I got it wrong at a few places. Arg!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a lot of improvement even over this short a time. I think you just need to draw more: faces, arms, legs, backs, everything. Just to get your head in the place where you can draw what is really there, not what you THINK is there. For example, eyes always seem larger in our minds than the rest of the face (since we focus more on them) even though they are actually pretty small. Also work with the human form more as a flow, it will help some of those stiff characters loosen up!

Keep up the work!

"Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, yeah I definitely should some more from life studies. I recently bought 'Anatomy for Artists', so I should begin to fire up some studies soon. Thanks for the comment, it really motivates me. (:

Anyways, last Saturday I've bought some painting and charcoal equipment. Haven't tried the paint yet, I'm pretty sure I'll fudge it up. So I got into some charcoal today instead. I really like the hard dark strokes you get, but at the same time I hate them! It's pretty hard to get in details, but that's ok I guess, I need to put in some values and not worry about the details. Sooo, yeah...

1 pencil from reference and 2 sp's... The second didn't work out *at all*, I went total rampage on it, hahaha. I've had some trouble with my hand wiping away all the coal from the page when working on a different part of the face, should learn to lift my hand from the page.

This reminds me of how much I need to hook up the scanner, very crappy quality, I'm sorry!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, been a while since I updated, have been drawing though, so that's good.
    Did some boring stuff at work, trying out a few new brushes I found at some exclusive sketchbook here on CA.

Last Friday was a lot of fun, I went to this sketchgroup thing in Amsterdam, met a load of new people, got some tips and alot of inexperience in. Was the first time I drew from a model, so that was quite exciting. Though my drawings mostly arn't, really should start on some anatomy soon enough.

^--- Some new brushes and my first ever vehicle design.

^--- Some sketches in the train on my way to Amsterdam.

^--- The from life studies, really had some trouble in the beginning but gradually became a bit better. Did this at the holy underground home base from Soepel.eu!

^--- Had some fun in Open Canvas with my lil' bro. I did some more, but those things were just really horrible.

^--- From reference.

So yeah, big update. C&C much appreciated. (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooo, Marko's DVD is nearly out, should really get it. (:
    Some updates from today, I got pretty frustrated at one point. And to top it of, my scanner died in mysterious ways.

Edit: Argg, just found out imgboot deleted my account or something, I dunno... I'll put it on my other server someday soon. Thank god for the backups.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.