Art: Concentration Help !

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Concentration Help !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Concentration Help !

Hi guys I having some concentration problems , I don't know exactly how to descripe but let's go...

1-I never Draw more than one hour normaly i draw just for minutes, 20 or less
    2-I always need to listen music to keep drawing (it's strange if I don't listen I will stand up and lost My concentration)
    3-Often times I have bad proportions problems, because of my lack of concentration
    4-I always losing myself in composition
    5-(the most strange) I don't stay in silence with my brain ( I read drawing on the right side of the brain and there talking about it) I always thinking something

If someone could help i will really apreciate , strange too is that sometimes i draw without problem ;\
    hugs

"Roll the bones ''

My Cure
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suffer with poor concentration at times as well. I think I watch too much tv. I keep my drawing desk for drawing only. (I can draw away from that desk if I feel like though).

I also find that the internal dialogue takes a while for me to quiet. When I am in the 'zone' the perseverence used to get there pays off big time. Basically 20min is great just keep at it and increase slowly - its like a diet; you dont lose 100kg straight away or you'll just put it back on, lose it slowly and the weight stays off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find that the amount of time that you can put into your work will greatly depend on what you know you need to shoot for. When I first started drawing as a kid, I always would finish the picture in like 5-10 minutes. I didnt know how to expand my ideas of what goes into a drawing (or that I even needed to). Now I try to put everything I know how to into a picture plus a little more, and if you also do studies, you'll have a lot of knowledge and time you can put into something.

On a different take on this.. I think that learning to focus and concentrate on what you're doing is one of the greatest things that we can learn from doing art. If we set down to work and are too hung up on our faults, or have our mind wandering on something else, then it is very difficult to make anything that you like. Its because you're too busy not thinking, not focusing on what you're doing.. its right there in front of you and you're creating it and need to be living every moment of it. If you need to take a step back and think about how you're going to keep working on it then do it. If you need a break so you can come back and look with a fresh eye, then take a break.

It also helps if you give yourself some time to warm up, let stuff just come out of your head. Dont get yourself terribly hung up on the end results, just sketch like crazy.. if a sketch stops being fresh then drop it and make something new. Get your mind focused on the tools your using and the possibilities they allow. Dont push yourself too hard, be gentle.

Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thnx for the replies...
    Draw Yes tv is really a problem here is the computer, and I have one place to draw to its hard do it in other place...

I totaly agree with you Some guy
    I will try to refresh some time ...

If someone has some more tips or suffer of the same problems post here

"Roll the bones ''

My Cure

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of people may not notice this, but patience and concentration can actually be trained and build up through practice. (Unless you have some type of disorder since birth)

Don't worry about the time you spend on your work, the important thing is to keep practicing. I couldn't spend more than 1 hour on a piece when I started drawing 3 years ago, but as I keep practicing, I learn more things, I get to draw/paint faster, and the same time I can keep at doing it longer without being distracted. Now I can keep going for 10 hours straight without any breaks (well except nature calls).

So don't worry too much about it. As for concentration, hell my brain never stays quiet. =P It seems I'd have a split mind, one keeps my hands drawing/painting, while the other keeps wondering in the imaginative world. Sometime I can even keep the TV on, listens to the news and still able to concentrate on painting. Just do whatever that's comfortable and nature to you, it's no big deal.

Members who have read this thread: 1