Ever Try To Capture Something in your Art but Can't?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ever Try To Capture Something in your Art but Can't?

I suppose for those who draw, it can be quite a challenge to draw what we see in out minds. Say you think of something, like, a scene down a street or a person running and in your mind the colors, the shapes the look and feel are great, but whne you draw it your dissapointed because you think it looks like crap or its not what you intended. Is this something that will always presist or is it indeed possible to master the ability to capture an image from your mind into your art nearly perfectly?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the more you think about drawing something cool the more your gonna run into a mental block. i know this is gonan sound odd and lame but just draw. doodle randomness. dont think abut what your drawing and your more likely gonna see shapes and designs that look cool and things that can be made out of them. Andriod or Marko showed a technique they have used where you randomly scribble all over your paper midlessly till the page if full. once done look for shapes that resemble something liek an arm or face and pull that out and make something out of it.going into a drawing thinking you wanna draw some badass guy will more often then not not work because it can be pretty tricky till you have a better grasp on your drawing skills. but if you randomly see a cool shape that looks like it can be some sort of armor you get a unique looking peice of armor.

i highly doubt any of the good concepts on this site started out in that persons head exactly how it translated on paper. its possible but very unlikely. hope his helps

-=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Is this something that will always presist"

Yes.

Every day of your waking life.

And, no. There's nothing you can do about it.

It's part of what we are. The specific things will change, the complexity will be easier to cope with, and it may happen in lessor ways or amounts...

...but it will never stop.

That wasn't a damn bit helpful, was it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cant capture perfection. Why is it so hard to draw a perfect image from your imagination? You see it so clearly, yet you cant put it on paper.

From the valley of death I escaped...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The positive side of this is sometimes things will accidentally turn out way better than you imagined.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    use reference.

We may have a perfect image in our head BUT we are not familiar as to how to apply it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what you have in mind is at least 90% emotional and associative and only like 10% (if that!) concrete forms and shapes. so sorry you can tell me all you want about the awesomeness in your head - if that really was the case you would easily be able to draw and paint that stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find that often when drawing out of my head it helps to have some kind of ideal in mind that you're shooting for. But Intern is right in that it will also lead to some kinds of mental blocks. It helps if you are more loose in your ideas of what you're drawing than trying to think of something thats very concrete.

Drawing is a process, what you're trying to do is the equivalent of imagining a whole short story in your head and then writing it down all at once. Once you start typing a few words you'd probably forget all about how the story was going to end. Whenever I put the first couple of lines down on the page I have to reassess what I'm doing and form a new ideal based on whats on the page and what I feel I can do next. The more you draw and practice the easier it gets to see a few steps ahead, I think. Its kind of like, you can easily imagine something that would look really awesome.. but do you know what steps you need to take in order to actually draw it? I imagine that the more experience you get, the easier it is to drop that stuff out of your head onto the paper but, there will probably always be some higher ideal in mind (or else how would you improve).

Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i think it in this way, if you see an image like you said a street. Then you have to know your perspective good, and if theres a dude standing there you will have to be good at perspective,anatomy,folding cloth and so on.

I 100% you can do whatever you have in your mind, you just need the knowledge and experience.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of course....all the time.....

Happens less when I am doing commissioned work for someone else though....but for myself...yeah, all the time.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    experience Quinster, experience.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If what you wanted to draw was perfectly clear in your mind, you'd be able to draw it. Figuring out exactly what an image will look like before you even put your pencil to the paper is impossible.
    The good news is that you're able to work out simpler concepts in your mind and put them on paper with great ease after a while, and you can use the perfect image you have in your mind and work with it. Which is fun.

But yeah, you can talk about it all you want, the only way you can understand it is to experience it for yourself. Practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my suggestion-
    You have a cool idea in your head- like the street scene.
    Draw out quick little sketches, little ones not full page ones but just little sketches of the rough idea...do it a few times and play around with things like the perspective and the positioning of figures in the scene etc.
    Playing around on a smaller scale is good cause you don't worry about if it's perfect- it's just jotting down the idea. If it's not what you were imagining you can do another one in 30 seconds. In this way you can often improve on your original idea by trying different things out quickly...and it usually helps my creative juices to start flowing a bit more freely.

Once you've got the idea down in a rough way you can start to plan it out properly. Don't expect it to happen in five minutes. If you really want it to look good, spend time on it. Think about positioning things, re-positioning things, rubbing out, trying again...think about colours, lighting- all those things...it can get frustrating but this is the kind of process even the great master painters went through.

I'd say listen to intern's advice- find ways of getting things down on the page to get you started...even if you go out onto a street and start drawing that without ever taking your pencil off the paper...things like that can help. Once you've got something down you've got something to work with.

Sydney artist Luke Marcatili

"Fear is the mindkiller..."
    - The Litany Against Fear

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, you know looser ideas do work. When I draw something and don't really care how it turns out it ends up pretty good. However, being statisfied with something is basically impossible. The artist always sees his/her flaws even when other people don't. You cna hate a picture when others love it, all depends on how you feel. I should have known as much. Well, I don't know if I'll use the scribbles thing, but I'll just keep drawing and not owrry about it. The more and more you draw, the better and better you will become.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maybe the more techinical knowledge of how to draw something you have, then the less you have to think about making it look believeable(because it becomes more of an instinct) and you can just concentrate on how you think the design should look... i dunno

doing some thumbnail sketchs of the idea might help you get what u want too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ....sometimes you have a picture in your head, and it may not turn out just how you wanted it to be; but sometimes, it turns out far better than you expected...

Mx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I often don't make any assumptions about what my artwork will look like prior to creating it. I have broad ideas of what it might be like and then let instinct take over.

WHO WILL WIN?

Conan O'Brien or
    a BEAR?

www.conanvsbear.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quinster- The way I see it, you may never be fully satisfied with your own work but you shouldn't let that make you unhappy with your work.

If you do get compliments on your work, take those compliments on board as much as the crits. I often take the crits a lot more seriously because it's easier to see your flaws than your strengths. But anyway take the compliments humbly and just know that you can and will improve on the next one.

In a way I think one of the reasons we want to be great at art is to impress other people (c'mon admit it) and if people are already appreciating your work, even if you're a little unsatisfied, that should be something to be happy about.

But at the same time, being unsatisfied with your work drives you to grow as an artist.

Keep at it.

Sydney artist Luke Marcatili

"Fear is the mindkiller..."
    - The Litany Against Fear

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wait for Wacom to adopt this tecnology, problem solved.

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/heal...out525685.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just about every time i do art.. not necessarily a bad thing if you look at it the right way...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.