Art: Mad World
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mad World

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Mad World

This is another WeeDot art of mine , this is not as airy as some of mine are . this was done when i was in one pissy mood one night ..
    any comments are always welcome..lay them one me i can take it ...hahaha
    enjoy!
    [IMG][/IMG]

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    although i do like the design principals represented in your piece, i'm not sure this is exactly the best forum for you to be posting in. this forum is dedicated mostly to concept work and some illustration.

-dan

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would have to grudgingly agree with the above post, melady. While I can wish all day long this site had more room for traditional styles of art, it seems it's more focused on the entertainment realm (media like video games, comics, fantasy/horror book covers, magazine illustration, etc) and the like.

I am positive there are C&C sites you could find that would happily take your peices for display and critiquing, although I am hard-pressed to find one other than this:

http://www.threedy.com/site/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6

They have a pretty thriving community there, and I think you'll find that more ppl will give you a better-tailored type of C&C as opposed to this forum.

Portfolio and website coming soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now if you said it was your conceptual design for some alien earrings that might fly.
    I like stuff like this, and do it myself on occasion, but I see it as a design for something else even if I havn't figured out just what. It could make a nice stained glass window or jewelry or a fabric pattern. I could really see it printed on a sarong or scarf. If you have more you might show them to some designers, things might happen.
    I find it funny to hear abstract art described as "traditional" when abstract art arose from a conscious rejection of all things traditional. But here we are almost 100 years later and it's come full circle. Abstract is now traditional while figurative is avante garde. I even saw a recent newspaper article talking about a revolutionary wave of artists "breaking out of the box" by doing things like life drawing classes. Cracks me up.

Gilead Artist on Facebook and Twitter
    website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilead
    I even saw a recent newspaper article talking about a revolutionary wave of artists "breaking out of the box" by doing things like life drawing classes. Cracks me up.
    Ha! That's funny Gilead. The art world is so ridiculous.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilead
    I find it funny to hear abstract art described as "traditional" when abstract art arose from a conscious rejection of all things traditional. But here we are almost 100 years later and it's come full circle. Abstract is now traditional while figurative is avante garde. I even saw a recent newspaper article talking about a revolutionary wave of artists "breaking out of the box" by doing things like life drawing classes. Cracks me up.

Well I'm the noobish idiot for trying to help then. Laugh at me, please.

Portfolio and website coming soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ApolloNuevo
    although i do like the design principals represented in your piece, i'm not sure this is exactly the best forum for you to be posting in. this forum is dedicated mostly to concept work and some illustration.

-dan

how selfish! Fine Art, Concept work AND Illustration is welcome to this forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone should feel welcomed to post any type of art they create. Who said this was strickly for video games and fantasy??

As for the painting, I'm glad to see that you're working in traditional media. It's very difficult, but worth it. Here, you've created a painting. An actual tangible object. A digital painting is just an image that only exists in cyberspace, so good for you for taking it back to the canvas.

It certainly is interesting. It feels "upbeat," like an octopus at a rave or something. Am I projecting something in my subconcious there?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that this kind of work should not really be on a forum like this.

However it is nice and deserves to be somewhere.
    It would be a shame for this place to keep encouraging all art. As hard as it sounds when a forum like this loses the plot. people start getting the hump when they keep clicking links and not getting the expected " concept" art style they became a part of this community to see.

It won't take long for it to desend into chaos and lose all values that brought people here in the first place.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMFG this is like totally awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe the mods should create a section for fine-art?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jfwalls
    Maybe the mods should create a section for fine-art?

This is what I suggested a long time ago...The life drawing section is the closest CA has to Fine Art but I doubt his kind work won't get any respect there.

I don't know if there is a CA equivalent of a fine art forum but i've been to some like the Cenini Forums and Art Papa.

A lot of people here are immature, if we wanna say anything negative, atleast, it should be in a civilized manner.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink

I like it. Thats all that matters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally I think this forum should most certainly be open to more abstract or other widely accepted forms of visual art, whether they be concept/illustration related or not.

Every artist who takes their art seriously should constantly be informing their work by looking at all types of art. Every one of us should be looking at the works of the great masters and not only that but the works of abstract artists, the impressionists, the fauvists and contemporary art too.

As far as I understand it, this forum aims to help aspiring concept artists/illustrators to grow and improve in their work.

But by limiting the work that is accepted in the forums (whether by design or by the culture of the community) to concept art and illustration only, we limit the potential that any of us can reach.

It would be like learning to play music but using punk as your only reference. There's nothing wrong with punk as a style but if it's all you ever listen to and play you'll miss out on a whole world of musical possibilities that you could be exploring- you'll be sorely limited and in the end your work will suffer and so will you- people eventually want to hear other styles than punk...

So...I say post more art of varied style and medium. If it would distract from the main aim of the community, maybe there could be a sub forum devoted to 'fine art', like jfwalls suggested.

Having said all that- I'll actually comment on the work...
    Personally I think it's a bit flat for my interest. Everything is happening on the one plane, there's no feeling of depth, which makes it seem more like a design than anything...
    the colours seem to work well together...but I'd say in terms of composition there needs to be something more dynamic happening to draw our interest more...whether it's depth or placement or something...

Anyway, that's it...sorry for hijacking the thread a bit...

Sydney artist Luke Marcatili

"Fear is the mindkiller..."
    - The Litany Against Fear

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that honestly you aren't going to get the best feedback here. I like abstract and modern art but I prefer to see more realistic means of expression. I do think that the colors clash and get muddy. I'm not sure of the size of this but it looks a bit rushed. Anything that isn't non-objective?

J. Christopher Schmidt
    Comic Book Artist / Illustrator
    www.artisticschmidt.net

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by patdzon
    how selfish! Fine Art, Concept work AND Illustration is welcome to this forum.
    explain to me how that is selfish. i don't see it. this is a collective of a lot of pros and wannabe concepters and illustrators...why is it selfish to want to stay true to the communities goals of bettering themselves in their chosen field.

wouldn't we object if somone came in here and was posting recipies for their brownies? not because the brownies are bad, the brownies may be very very good...but they distract us from what our goals as a community are.

not selfish, just focused. let's not get the two confused.

-dan

Thomas Erskine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ApolloNuevo
    explain to me how that is selfish. i don't see it. this is a collective of a lot of pros and wannabe concepters and illustrators...why is it selfish to want to stay true to the communities goals of bettering themselves in their chosen field.

wouldn't we object if somone came in here and was posting recipies for their brownies? not because the brownies are bad, the brownies may be very very good...but they distract us from what our goals as a community are.

not selfish, just focused. let's not get the two confused.

-dan
    Well, it seems that CA is not being focused on their goals since they allow art like his to be posted here or they're just being simply open minded towards other kinds of art. We should be supportive of each other regardless of what kind of work we do, but I think we know what shouldn't be allowed here but I think its clear that his is certainly acceptable.

Why don't you just tell that to the admin and ask them for a new set of rules.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long story short, most people here wouldnt give very good feedback on fine art because they rarely if ever do it. Its a concept art forum after all Anyhow I think it needs more flushes of warm color in the upper right. Making the areas around the white dots blend into a slightly dark color would pop them forward more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lochnarus
    I'm very sorry if I sounded like I was laughing at you or even dissagreeing with you. i was not.
    i was just saying it's funny to see how perceptions change over the years. You are by no means the only one. The art world in general is now using the word "traditional" to describe the same stuff they used to call "modern". I find this funny. That's all.

Gilead Artist on Facebook and Twitter
    website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see anything wrong with posting something "artsy" on here. I would say the majority of the professionals on here have had some classical training, and have an appreciation for "traditional" art styles. There's nothing wrong with being open-minded and accepting of other art forms. In the end it can only help you grow as an artist. Even if all you want to do is concept art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i didnt mean to cause a ruckus around here. i just have always believed that all art is welcomed in the world. i guess that some is just not welcomed here. i guess same of you would shut down a art gallery or art museum if you had a chance to.i would love to see what you would have say to Dali or Warhol if they wanted to post a little bit of their hard work for others to see. just remember that any kind of art that you do was drivin by the great artist of the past that only did fine art.
    sorry for posting so meanly , just thought i defend my self a little bit..
    _karrie

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    See, the problem is you've got a bunch of noobs who think they know alot and that this is thier forum. You're welcome to post here so long as the admins don't mind, and I don't think they care.

Problem is, with art, you have to draw a limit somewhere. If everything is art, nothing is art. But no one person can establish that boundary. On a forum like this, where the focus is highly representational, you're not as likely to get as much feedback, but that doesn't mean there isn't a place for your work. I'm sure there are folks around here who get inspiration and ideas from your work, just as you can get some from theirs. Don't let a few turds discourage you, but on the other hand, if somebody gives you some serious critique, don't get offended at that either.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    People clearly can't agree on what art is, since everyone has their personal view strung out here for whatever reason, the picture I guess being the ganglion springboard for a debate. So since most people arent commenting on the art instead opting to hold a forum within a forum, wouldnt this maybe do better in the discussion section?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see anything wrong with continuing this discussion within this thread. It's kind of like standing in front of a painting in an art gallery and discussing it with other people. You'll start out talking about the piece before you, and all the other stuff it makes you think about. However, to comment on the artwork, I would like to see more depth to these pieces. I don't like the negative space around the swirls. I think if you were to fill a canvas with these patterns and designs, building layers upon layers, then you'd have something really nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if the admins want an abstract art (or any other category) subforum...then that's superb. more power to them...i would definitely stop by everyonce in awhile.

weedot: no offense was meant by all this. since it appeared you were new when i first replied i thought it would be best to inform you of some things that many noobs are not aware of. there IS a lot to be learned by different styles of art - and interdisciplinary learning is always beneficial. i apologize again if this had made you feel unwelcomed.

Thomas Erskine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    weedot, do you know the Book of Kells? It's pretty well known. If not, search it up- I think you'd really love it. If you can find the 'Chi-Rho' page, that's a really good example of the book's style.

If you already do know it, think about how those Irish Monks were using the similar swirl motifs as you're using- their designs are so intricate and precise. The process of actually doing those individual pages was a form of meditation because they are so detailed.

I've occasionally thought about doing a Book of Kells style work of art on a much larger scale...but then i realised I'd probably go insane. jfwalls- your comment about doing a whole canvas covered in swirls reminded me of that.

As for the debate, I think it can stay in this forum. Again, I restate what I said earlier that all artists need to study all art, regardless of their intended speciality.

You only have to look at the work of most of the professionals who post here to see they are influenced by the great painters, printmakers, etc of history.

I remember when Jason Manley posted a masterwork under a different name to see who would pick him up on it first. From memory I think it was Jon Foster (another pro) who caught him out first (but it was a while ago now, i could be mistaken). The point was that we all need to look at other artists and know about other types of art. Again, the best work on this site (in my opinion) tends to have it's roots in the fine art approaches to art making. I think abstract art is included.

I could probably keep rambling on but i'll leave it there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here you go...i found it for you...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i will go take a look at that book indeed thank you for the info, the pic looks amazing ....off i go ,
    to: anyone and every one , i know that i cant change any ones views on art and what is art and what isnt and what type is real art , the art world is a love, hate type world. i just didnt think i was going to bring up such a debate on this , just because i'm an absract loving artist. i dont think that i or my art should be looked down on ,because of just that . i wanted to have some real C&C on my art work thats all i was looking for and i love all comments the good and the bad about my art , because as an artist i always looking to become a better artist for me..thats all
    i do want to thank all that have talked about this work i have posted here and i do welcome if any one would like to say any thing else about the painting it self. thanks again to all of you really ,
    _karrie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Weedot

Even though you posted your art amongst a crowd of representational (sci-fantasy video game bred kids) artists, you should feel proud of the sheer number of responses you got and that fact it instigated a huge debate. If it cause a stir amongst us type, it'll be even more recieved by your fellow abstract artists. Getting people to talk about your stuff is the highest compliment for any artist.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it up weedot, hope I see some more of your work around here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.