Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Saphiel (blood art)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Saphiel (blood art)

A brief introduction:

Over a year ago I began to experiment with the use of blood as an artistic medium. I began using my own or that of willing donors but quickly found human blood to be impractical, as the quantity required for the work I do is more than what can be safely procured. After a length search I found a butcher shop willing to provide me with big blood and it has been a labour of love ever since.

When I first began I had no idea how difficult blood was to work with. It truly has a mind of its own, and exposure to oxygen for certain periods of time, even before it is placed on the canvas, alters its colour and thickness. It also requires a tremendous amount of patience, as the blood is required to dry on the canvas for different lengths of time in order to achieve different effects.

In order to make the process safer and longer lasting, the blood is combined with clear acrylics during its application, and coated with several layers once each piece is done. This seals in the blood, helping to both accent and preserve it, as well as giving it a more paint-like quality.

Here is my newest piece.

The gold accents are flecks of mica - something I have found to be far too much fun to work with. The painting is currently up for auction at gothauctions.com ("Saphiel").

I am more than happy to work with the ideas of other people in creating my pieces. That said, if there is anything, and I do mean anything, you have in mind which you would like to see converted to blood painting format, I am more than willing to take commissions, and can be reached at kalenight@gmail.com.

Thank you for reading. Any comments/questions are deeply appreciated.

Eyes most perfected are eyes that have yet to see.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you didnt mention that was blood, I wouldn't feel queezy looking at it. What type of surface did you paint this on? Also, did you try a more absorbant paper or surface, if you are working on canvas?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's on canvas. 24 x 24. Probably should have mentioned that previously, sorry. I actually haven't done much in the way of experimenting with different surfaces, but now that you mention it I would like to see how something similar would look on some thick hot-pressed paper, or something of a similar persuasion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question

Why blood? I'm sure that's the biggest question. I've seen many works done with regular mediums that portrayed bleeding subjects or just blood and its more powerful than things painted with blood. I can see that it could be more of a spiritual experience since you actually used some of your own blood at first but now you don't even have that aspect of it so why do it?
    After a while the idea of blood paintings gets really old for me and I just don't see the point. Shock value doesn't last and I don't think it could or should become a popular thing at all.
    That's just my opinion .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you should try human poo next time. Same shock effect and technical skills needed. At least you have a comeback when people tell you it's a load of Sh*te.

Try painting with real paint. Actually takes dedication and skill.

Oh well what do I know. Probably see your work in the Saatchi gallery next year.
    Get some therapy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are several factors that lead to its appeal, though you certainly did nail one of them. It was a spiritual experience in the beginning, but it was of a strictly personal nature. With the blood of something else (a pig, for example) that is no longer living, it can be taken as a tribute of sorts. Long after their bodies have been disposed of and their useful components utilised, one thing will remain as a testament to their existence.

Another reason I do it is the fact that I have always found blood to be particularly beautiful, and I find an interesting challenge in trying to get others to see the same. Whenever I get a comment saying something along the line of, "I have never thought blood to be a thing of beauty until now." I melt.

In terms of finances, blood is dirt cheap, so I do not have to utlise a lot of expensive materials in order to get the effect I'm after. The canvas is always the most expensive part.

Shock value is a small factor, but it's certainly not my primary motivation. I simply enjoy disturbing people; something these paintings tend to do quite effectively.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What absolute complete bollox.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by spudstudios
    What absolute complete bollox.
    bollox translates to bullshit right? then I agree..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is why artists have a well deserved stereotype of being weirdos. If you wanted to disturb people, mission accomplished.

Sorry this reminds me of all the wacko people I went to colleage with who were only interested in arts "deap inner meaning" instead of say quality art. I don't really mean to be a jerk, but this bites.

Invest in some acrylics they are also dirt cheap. Then if people like your artwork you'll know they admire your skills and arn't just interested because you had a creapy idea.

(Insert stupid, pointless, and offensive signature here)
    www.wayofthegeek.com My web comic full of stupid geekiness.
    www.carterillustration.com My website filled with freelancing EVIL.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It has deeper meaning to me, but thank you for your opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i fail to see to a valid critism is spuds remarks.
    we are here to help, not insult.

as for me,
    i would love to see something a bit more representational.
    i think the blood is a cool idea, but it should not be all that the piece has to offer.
    a beautiful drawing of a bloody scene, done in blood...
    is a little more significant to me.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uhhh. Looks kinda cool. I think painting in blood is a little morbid personally. Seems like a gimick to draw attention to your art, when it should be the art that draws the attention. This is just MHO though and is not ment to discourage.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what is the point in painting in a novelty medium that after youve reached its limitiation and the novelty factor of painting in it has worn off..

thats propably the reason painting in blood is not practiced often. It just seems like a tremendous amount of wasted effort to accomplish something pushed on you by an artistic society that always is looking for something new. were or are you a painting major? or did you just come upon this yourself, and do you consider yourself a full time proffessional painter,

although, If you could pull off a portrait painted in blood, Id be thouroghly impressed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought it was actually cooler when you said you used your own blood! The painting itself is pretty bland in my opinion, and the novelty of having a painting in blood just for the sake of it doesn't stretch far if the painting isn't very interesting...man, it might be pretty cool if you did it with your own blood (or another person's) and made something really structrued or at least more representational (as it was said before, like a portrait, or scene...)

-Right now it doesn't personally suit me, but I know there are a bunch of you guys up in alberta! the art scene up there is totally different!

N & B

~Sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not really concept art at all.

As far as fine art goes it's pretty boring and lame. ugh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a difference between not getting modern art, and bad modern art. Some people hear need to take 5 minutes off their pedistal and learn the difference, maybe they'll suddenly see how something not killing another thing that doesnt have big knockers and obscenely irrelevent detail can still be beautiful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the thing; working in blood is fine, but there has to be more to it than that. Other people have mentioned rendering actual subjects in your work (I suppose this is a conceptual website so that makes sense), but even if you didn't want to do that, making a piece that's abstract can work just fine. The only problem is, this still doesn't really work well as an abstract expression. The texture you've created with the ground is great but the figure is severely lacking, it looks like a cheezy tribal tattoo done in finger paint (I'm sorry, but I'm being honest). Try harder to find ways to express yourself with out having the medium be the only strong part of your work. If that was all it took for being a great artist, everyone could do it. I think you would also aviod people being so critical of it if you could technically back up your ideas. That just comes with learning and practice, you should research other people who have worked in similar mediums and see what they did. Use the blood as just one tool in your work instead of making it the entire set.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, Slik. Good advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So " GET SOME THERAPY" IS NOT CONSTRUCTIVE?

I fail to see how this sensationalist rubbish deserves any artistic comments, support or encouragement. It is dire attention seeking rubbish.
    Show me the from and thought behind it and I may change my mind. It is my opinion and it is consrtuctive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wonder how a traditional ink-drawing with a filt-pen (sp) would look like if its done with blood instead of ink ... THAT would be something i would buy

...but your Picture is too abstract and dry blood isn`t a very "powerful" color...fresh of course but dry...no way...that just don`t fit so well if its painted over bigger areas...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I agree that the blood thing feels very much like a ploy... partly because of the vampiresque manner of the description, but I think it could be more valid with a more interesting subject matter. I think if you look around on these forums, well... most are not fans of abstract art, as so many abstract artists seem to be doing it for lack of drawing/painting abilities. I'm not sure how far your skills extend, and there's no way to tell by the image you just posted. The most you will probably get is, "It looks nice". DSillustration was very right about the subject matter. I'm sure it makes us seem terribly shallow and all, but I for one am sick of seeing people oggling over someone that can't paint, and paying thousands of dollars for paintings that lack a sense of narative, apparent skill, etc. While brilliant drawers and painters struggle because their art isn't filled with gimics.

So, though the painting is abstract, and fairly uninteresting, maybe a description of what it's about would be nice. What does that tribal design represent? As I've seen that sort of thing on way too many white, platinum blond girls here in So Cal. You can say the blood is an homage to the pigs... okay. I'm kinda not buying it, but I'll give you that one. I've seen many people use gold and red, but cadmium and gold seemed to work fine for them. You use blood and fool's gold... interesting combo. So yeah, tell what you were thinking with the subject matter. Let us know that it wasn't just random marks that sort of turned into something, and that will help to validate what it is we're looking at.

And in the future... maybe try doing self portraits in blood and mica, or portraits of other people. Or a cityscape in blood... that could have some commentary on our times, yeah? Peace out!

-Daniel

www.ArtDL.com

CA Sketchbooks:
    Members exclusive party:
    Phuzion's V.I.P. Lounge

Public fun:
    Phuzion Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

First, hello everybody. Second, I guess part of this cultural expression we call art relays on the breakthrough of the parameters stablished in the society. Maybe drawing with blood had its time, when no other medium was known, discovered or invented. Now you have plenty of other materials to paint with, including the digital way, that can duplicate pretty well a lot of mediums, even unreal ones; I donīt see a real need for real blood. Iīd like to see some other works of yours, where your talent exceeds your medium.
    When you can demostrate that you really got the talent, then and only then, I could see the use of blood as an evolution of your work. Until that happens, Iīm sorry but thats only a stained canvas. When you can dominate the techniques, then dedicate to the spiritual part, you wonīt fly till you learn to walk.
    My technique needs a lot of training, but i love to see the talented peopleīs work (lots of it in this forum), and I try to learn from it. I sugest you to do the same, until you got something to transmit to the blood (or any other medium) you are using and create real art.
    Itīs like a desease, im from Argentina (thats why my english is that bad), and a lot of artists around here thinks that "art" means any crap that the artist can say it has a meaning, even a lot of formless latex on the wall, or a clay brick with nails on it (this was really exposed here!!!). On the other hand you see a lot of artist, that had a great formation and create awesome pieces (fortunatelly this happens in Argetina too), that has no place to expose.
    Well, i think i over extended myself.
    Donīt take it bad, practice a lot and then use the blood. Giger and Von Hagens did a long, hard road before they could shock the world with their art.
    And I think the blood in the canvas will rot eventually, better get an air refresher...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ryanwh -- post some of your own work for a change instead of crapping all over the forum with your bullshit. OK?

As for this art:

I dont care what the medium is, as long as the image is interesting. This image has a nice pattern, but it only attracts attention because of the medium. So next time, a guy paints something with his own brain cells on the canvas and you will be forgotten... So stop all the 'modern art' discussions. This is a nice one time experiment, and that;s it. Now go and find some other trick to mesmerise the ignorant masses with.

On a side note: Did you consider printing shirts with blood as ink?? (I would not consider using your own tho for obvious reasons...) -- This would really be a big seller in some subcultures probably

Last edited by Erik; June 13th, 2005 at 05:17 PM.
    Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For those of you angry towards modern art, check out artrenewal.org, they hate modern artists with a passion. I don't agree fully with their views, but they do make some interesting points.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Phuzion
    Yeah, I agree that the blood thing feels very much like a ploy... partly because of the vampiresque manner of the description, but I think it could be more valid with a more interesting subject matter.
    -Daniel

I totally agree, that being said, that doesn't mean he/she can't be helped so here are some suggestions...

The first thing i thought of when you said it was blood was the texture, then i immediately thought about how the painting would smell, or ::barf:: taste... What if you put a solid coat of blood down and used your toungue as the brush, i know it's pretty masochistic, but it may be more interesting that way, as this sort of abstract work lends more to process than result.

Apart from that wild suggestion, the smell i think would definately be the best part, so think about the media itself, what does blood suggest? does it suggest life? death?

what is it about the cattle's blood that makes it a worthwhile medium other than its red pigment and willingness to stick to paper? perhaps you could incorporate the slaughterhouse into your design idea, or the 'soul of the cow' if you want to get super artsy.

What are you using to make the strokes, is it your finger? should the process be entirely organic and primal, or if you are using a manmade utensil what about the dichotomy between the utensil and the organics of the medium can you suggest through the strokes and subject matter of the painting?

Why did you choose to make a tribal design, were you looking for a aestetic within the somewhat boring red background, or does it suggest something more primal about the medium itself. (that's a stretch, and to be honest i doubt you thought about that when making the design, but if you did, it's still obvious that you didn't push it or excentuate that idea in any way).

Why did you spatter the blood to create a field of blood and canvas? what about the texture of the dried blood is interesting, what is it saying?

You mentioned the blood changes consistency based on its time spent in open air, however you didn't make any sort of attempt to display this wonderful dynamic of the media itself. rather than looking it as a problem, use it to your advantage to create more interesting shapes and textures.

My worry is not in your skills as an artist, yet my worry is a much more serious one in that you barely thought about WHY you were using blood and instead came to use it out of novelty rather than message...

Also, the image represents somewhat of a wing, perhaps an angel's wing, and while terribly cliche, i suppose you could push the whole VERY OVERDONE 'fallen angel' concept. But honestly, the whole goth thing, just contributes to the weakness of this piece in that you had no real original thought or viewpoint about what it is to paint in blood.

To be an true artist you first have to give up your ego, and while you may have been thinking "wow this incredibly original" simply because you were painting in blood, is one of the worst plagues of us artists. You should be your own biggest critic, and once you figure that out, you won't need a forum like this other than to improve your technical skills.

I would see this piece and the replies within it not as a negative, but as a challenge to create much better pieces, and while this piece may be finished, your work with blood, as a medium, (i hope) is not.

Last edited by Gregory Wohlwend; June 13th, 2005 at 06:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what about some heavy watercolor paper? the cloth-like stuff could be interesting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didnt get to read everything so I dont know if it was already said, but I dont understand why you would do this. While only somebody with great talent could imitate the art on the site, anybody could copy this. It doesnt take skill, it just takes... Well I dont know what it takes, but im sure its something. Somebody could do this same thing, and you couldnt tell the diffrence. Why not take your skills and make something truly unique, and complex that will make a name for you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LightKirtar
    While only somebody with great talent could imitate the art on the site, anybody could copy this.
    That's what people said about Van Goghe. And most modern art. People measure the level of art by different things, how is this less of a gimmick than a female warrior who has a completely unpractical chestplate for the sake of sex appeal?
    erik-shhh, go make another unfeasable design instead of sour graping other people's art thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    iT's funny because I was really interested in looking at this 'Blood Art" thread and was kinda fascinated, and I'm sure everyone else who responded was too, or else they wouldn't have responded. So you can say it did it's job as a gimmic, shock value or disturbing people.
    But like a lot of people have been saying and I'm just going to say it in a different way; the best art I think is when you have more then one read, or reaction.
    I would say do something so people will admire your skill, or your symbolism; if you want it to be more abstract.
    Truethfully I think the idea is intrigueing and maybe a little creepy. Tie the idea of blood in with a cool idea and great technique then you might have something.
    I give props for trying something new.
    I am editing this because things keep on coming up, lol
    anyway, I don't know how you would do this and be safe, but collect your blood, maybe save just little bits at a time untill you have enough, and do a portrait of yourself, that would be something to see.
    But please if you think this is a cool idea too don't hurt yourself trying I don't want you dying. oy! that would be no good,

Last edited by poise; June 13th, 2005 at 10:07 PM.
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. So very little content has sparked so much response. Sad that, you know, good drawings can't get this much feedback. But I guess it's easy for people like me to chime in on this thread because the topic is so incredibly dumb.

Anyway...
    In highschool, the teeni-goths would all cut themselves and make lil' sketchbooks of blood art, then fake reluctance as they shoved it in the faces of their less gothy friends. One unpopular kid would always respond with something like "Really. Blood. I am shock-ed. That has truely made me think. You should sell your art. You could make a lot of money."

But then we all turned 15, and putting blood on paper became just a little less brilliant than twirling an inverted lensflare in photoshop.

Everyone knows that matters of taste cannot be debated, and somewhere somebody could find the most random crap overflowing with sublime beauty. But as a whole, the world probably find more "art" just closing their damn eyes instead of looking at this pretentious shit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4