Art: Monitor debate

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Monitor debate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Monitor debate

Hi guys, don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I'm really interested in what everyone out there is using for monitors.

I have a 2 monitor set up, one is a Viewsonic VP 912b LCD, and an old no-name CRT. I'm thinking of upgrading the CRT as its kinda small and a bit dark but I'm still not 100% sold on the LCD. Its really clear and bright but it seems to bother my eyes after awhile. I dont want to turn down the brightness too much, as it affects my painting tones. Is this a common problem with LCD'S?

I've heard a lot of people saying lcd's arent good enough yet and alot of big 3d places seem to have crts in there workplaces but I know some good photoshop artists that use them so I'm still undecided. Also I've heard crt's arent made as much anymore?

Any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated. If there is any conclusive evidence out there on whats got the edge, I'd love to hear that as well.
    Thanks!
    -S

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats an interesting question. I never bothered to research the technology in monitors so I personally don't know. In my oppinion though, I thought LCDs were better, but I haven't done a dual set up to compare the two. Right now I have an LCD and from what I know, they are suppose to be easier on the eyes than a CRT. Personally, I feel that they mine is easier on my eyes than my old CRT. Are CRTs even made anymore? I don't think there is a company out there, dell, mac, sony, that sells a computer with a CRT, they are all LCDs. An interesting question that I would like to know the answer to as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a Lacie Monitor. It's a lot better then my old Sony. As for the problem with the CRT hurting your eyes have you checked the refresh rate of your monitor? If it's to low it will fatigue your eyes quicker. LCD is supposed to be easier on the eyes and use less power. CRT is cheaper to purchase then an LCD and has more color range and higher resolutions. Here’s a link for the Lacie Company if you want to check it out.
    http://www.lacie.com/products/family.htm?id=10010
    Here’s a link for pcworld that will break it down for you about the differences. It ultimately comes down to what you want to trade off for in specs and what you are willing to spend.
    http://pcworld.com/howto/bguide/0,guid,9,00.asp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LCD's are easier on your eyes and cheaper to run, but a high-quality CRT (Like Sony, Philips, NEC) give you a finer resolution, higher refresh rates, better gamma, and all at a lower price.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a dual monitor set up at work, and although I don't know much about technology, I recomend having the same type of moniter, for both sides if you plan on using both screens. in the case of photoshop and any other adobe products I use one screen for all my tool bars and the other for just my workspace.

Keep in mind if your going to color adjust the moniter only one would be correct and the other one would be close. Or at least thats what the guy that deals with the computers explained to me...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most LCDs do not display the full range of colors that a CRT is capable of. Most people won't notice this, but as an artist you're more likely to. However, newer LCDs are getting better at this, and many of them are now capable of displaying all 255 colors in the red green and blue channels. A good LCD is more or less indistinguishable from a CRT as far as picture goes, but it's also going to cost a lot more. LCDs also have the downside of being far less flexible in the resolution you can run them at. They look best in their native resolution and running them in anything but that can cause blurring and other issues.

Check out My Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.