Art: The Queen and Her Consort
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Queen and Her Consort

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Queen and Her Consort

Fantasy piece I entered into a contest and won

I have to admit to a definite inspiration from Boris Vallejo, Julie Bell and Frank Frazetta. I think this is one of the best paintings I've ever done. It was a lot of hard work for me. I got about halfway through with it then stopped, terrified that I'd mess it up. The background and the jaguar (my first jaguar!) just flowed, but when it came time to do the woman, I froze. Thankfully, I was able to finish it... even it I did submit it at the very last minute before the contest closed.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pretty good, I definetly see traces of boris here. Only problem I really have is the shading below the nose, it kind of makes the woman look like she has a cleft upper lip, which may be intentional to make her seem "cat like" but she would be more attractive without it. Also with some slight reworking the face could be far more affeminate. I would maybe round out the jaw or make it smaller at least, then make the lips a peck thinner so the ends of the lip still align with the ends of the chin. Also make the neck a little thinner. Something like this:

Also the hand holding the sword is pretty fubar.
    The backround begins a bit abruptly as well, giving you the benfit of the doubt and assuming she's near a cliff or something, the feint silhouette of cliffs and mountainous areas in the bg would pull the whole thing together, cus right now the bg looks like the wallpaper backing for a school picture.
    I do however like how you implied a strong fit woman without her losing sensuality. Good job.

Last edited by ryanwh; June 9th, 2005 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Re: Ryanwh Critique

Hmm... I have to disagree with you on the facial structure changes. Your re-work just makes her look... confused. There's a HUGE amount of detail that was lost in JPG compression which might account for the odd shadowing and the complete loss of detail of her eyes (which are cat eyes). I didn't want her to look too soft and effeminate. Then the entire picture would be a contradiction in terms... like some Valley Girl cheerleader who stumbled into a Conan movie.

Hands are still my weak point. *chuckle* Hence the reason they're rather shadowy and lacking in detail here. I got some excellent pointers from a friend and I've been practising... doodling when I should probably be paying attention in class *innocent* but I think I'm finally making improvements on that score.

Backgrounds... bleh... still working on those. This one here was a HUGE step forward for me. You're definitely right, I was too tentative with it. I didn't want it to become too busy and detract from the main focus. The painting I'm currently working on is yet another step forward with a fully developed background

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do not underestimate the power of Romania
    Sketchbook shmetchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From the first look, Colours are too saturated, background is simple (like when you do photo for ID), she is so tighten up in canvas so you have just 1 milimeter of space between her and canvas end.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's pretty good. I have to agree with Danillo a bit in that the highly saturated colors almost cheapen it. I think a deeper, richer palette would be more suitable, but that's just me. Other than that, I think that her left arm is in a semi-unatural pose. Maybe if her wrist was resting on her leg instead her fingers it might seem more natural.

Chronicles of Dust
    www.tgfxcrew.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have absolutely nothing against using reference. I certainly can't work without it at this point. However, the way you describe your trials with this painting implies (perhaps unintentionally) that you produced this from your head, when you most certainly did not.

Especially when using other peoples public stock accounts, it's only polite to at least give them credit.

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fukifino
    I have absolutely nothing against using reference. I certainly can't work without it at this point. However, the way you describe your trials with this painting implies (perhaps unintentionally) that you produced this from your head, when you most certainly did not.

Especially when using other peoples public stock accounts, it's only polite to at least give them credit.
    Actually it was this one but yeah, point made.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cold busted.

Chronicles of Dust
    www.tgfxcrew.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

RE: Stock Reference

I've never denied that I used the stock reference. Just didn't post the link here. Thanks for taking care of it for me.

And FYI I have model and print releases on file, so even though this was painted using a reference, the rights to the actual painting are entirely mine. Any other questions or flames?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure about it. Using reference from anatomy book, national geographic, animal encyclopedia, and combine all of this in one picture is one, but copying whole image, with same character, pose... well, no one can blame you if it was for practice, but if you want to make this work your professional presentation, it will be nice if you credit the artist who made everything except rendering.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Danilo
    I'm not sure about it. Using reference from anatomy book, national geographic, animal encyclopedia, and combine all of this in one picture is one, but copying whole image, with same character, pose... well, no one can blame you if it was for practice, but if you want to make this work your professional presentation, it will be nice if you credit the artist who made everything except rendering.
    Its not different at all, she did nothing wrong. if you paint a portrait of someone and it looks exactly like them, is that wrong? No. Arranging photos you didnt take in an unrecognizable way is in no way shape or form a lesser version of theft, and that's a stupid rationalization.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personaly, I hate all this "authorisation stuff". Thing is that art is meter of imagining, planing and thinking. If I take some painting/photo from one artist, and do the same thing, Im actualy copying it, no matter if medium is different.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by teutelquessir
    I've never denied that I used the stock reference. Just didn't post the link here. Thanks for taking care of it for me.

And FYI I have model and print releases on file, so even though this was painted using a reference, the rights to the actual painting are entirely mine. Any other questions or flames?
    jesus, don't get defensive right away. first of all you should definitely look up your rights as an artist before brabbling about some bullsh*t here on the forums.
    take a look right here or here for example..

btw it's nice for you that you won some kinky fantasy art contest with this piece but as people stated earlier i don't think its very well done, considering the fact that the pose and almost everything are not even your original property. the colors are way too saturated too look convincing, the shadows and lights don't describe the form properly, edge quality and contrast take away from realism and the face is simply messed up in multiple ways (anatomy, form.. etc etc)

i suggest taking life drawing classes and first of all learn how shadow and light work (core shadow, highlight, reflecting light etc )

sorry if this sounded a bit harsh, i hope i could help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think it's right to copy a photo exactly as it is, paint a picture of it, and submit to an art contest. It's like copying someone's book report, changing around a few adjectives, and turning it in as your own.

You should have mentioned the original photo in the very beginning. I also agree that you have serious saturation, anatomy, and tonal issues you have to deal with. I also agree that it looks like she has a cleft in her lip.

Last edited by CaptainInsano; June 12th, 2005 at 02:45 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One huge opportunity you missed is the lighting. Instead of trying to copy what is happening in the photo, use the photo as a basis for your forms only, then try to apply your own lighting to them. This will really help you understand the shapes at work in your painting.

Also, I don't buy your claim that all the detail lost in the JPG compression would make the face look better. If the underlying structure is wrong (which it is), then no amount of detail in the world will save it. Just suck it up, learn from it, and make your next painting better.

cheers.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.