Art: A trip to Borders in about a week and 100 bucks to blow...

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A trip to Borders in about a week and 100 bucks to blow...

I got 200 dollars from my mom as a graduation gift. Although I haven't gotten any scholarships for college yet or anything, I'm ignoring the thing in me that's saying to save all the money and blowing at least half of it on books. When's the last time I just GOT 200 dollars celebrating a milestone in my life? What better setting than Borders? The thing is, I'm holding out until me and my mom go to Auburn Hills, where there is a bigger and better Borders than the one I frequent.
    Down to business, I'll be looking for drawing books while I'm there. I might sprint over to the self-help section, but I doubt my mom will let me purchase another memory book without an interrogation of some sort. It'll be drawing all the way most likely, and I'm looking for your suggestions plain and simple.

Please shoot away.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never actlually read any real drawing books, thumbed threw a lot and picked out pointers I could use. But I do own an older book my grandfather gave me,"The Pencil" by Paul Calle. So far my favorite art book I own, such an inspiration. It dosent really teach you how to draw step by step, its more about pointers on how to go about certin things. No step by step shading or things of that nature, more tips and important things to remember while your drawing away.

When I was younger I grew up on a book "How to Draw The Marvel Yay." By Stan The Man Lee , and I think John Romota...Jr? Anyways That book actually tought me a lot about how to approch many things. Agian, not really a book I would suggest if you want step by step examples on how to draw since it covers a lot on how a comic is set up.

Ive never read it, but a lot of people suggest it, "Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain." But thats just hear say, and I probly shouldnt have suggested it, since agian Ive never read it

You reminded me to go buy "The Art of SWIII." Many thanks, and sorry if I wasnt any help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Alla Prima" by Richard Schmid is probably the best book on art I've ever seen.
    you'll have to get it from his site though.
    http://www.richardschmid.com/book.html

I was going to recommend stuff, but in terms of art books, Borders has a pretty paltry selection of the good ones. If you are interested in getting the good books, you'd be better off hitting bud plant or amazon. Specifically, what kind of drawing books are you looking for?

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad you replied, although it wasn't exactly the help I was looking for. Wouldn't wish a lonely thread like this on anyone.

I'm looking for stuff on the human figure and how to draw it basically. I have a good deal of books already that I should probably be looking into, but it would seem that I like reading the books more than actually following their advice. Weird, but I still want more and plan to "study" this summer.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,677 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by axeman61
    Wouldn't wish a lonely thread like this on anyone.
    It's not that people don't have the answers, it's that they've already given them. Do searches for "book recommendation" and "what book" and you'll find tons of threads. Look over them and you'll notice a names and titles that come up over and over. Check out anything that looks interesting on Amazon for more info.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man what the hell! I didn't get no money when I graduated last week.
    graduating high school...hmm, not that big of a milestone. It's not that hard to graduated from that place.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you like reading the books more then copying from them then the Richard Schmid book is the best one to get. It's mainly about painting, but alot of the chapters apply to anything, good ways to think about creating, technique, drawing, values, edges, etc. If you insist on taking your money to the store, you can get any of the 3rd rate books you want there (I've been to about 4 different Borders art sections around 50 times, bought a few bridgman books, and saw the Ryder book, thats IT!). But if you are really interested in getting the best book for the money you are going to spend, you can't go wrong with the Schmid book.

Other recommendations
    (if you like reading) The Art Spirit- Robert Henri

(Drawing Instruction)
    Anything Bridgman
    The Human Figure- JH Vanderpoel
    Anatomy for the Artist- Jeno Barcsay
    The Drawing Course- Charles Bargue
    Figure Drawing- Anthony Ryder

(Books with good art)
    Any Art of Star Wars.
    The Dean of Illustrators
    A Legacy in Line
    Anything on Mucha, Sargent, Rockwell, Sorolla, or NC Wyeth
    Icon (Frazetta)

I'M TELLING YOU, if you insist on spending 100 dollars on art books at Borders, you'll probably end up with How to Draw Manga or Fingerpainting Great Watercolor Flowers. They always have one or two good books to get, and a whole section filled with crap.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sadly, I do have about 7 of those books... How to draw manga. I wanted to stop at robots and Occult, but...

Anyway, the art section at Borders is all I have for the moment and I might wander into other sections. I'm truly sorry that I didn't look for book recommendation before starting this. It's just that I didn't think there was a topic on it pertaining to borders as your place of purchase. Seriously. I can't order online. You may ignore this from now on if you so desire, but your suggestions are still of value to me if you still want to plug in. As I said before, this Borders isn't really like the one I frequent and there's a slightly higher chance they have the stuff you recommend. Except for Loomis stuff of course.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How about the Robert Hale books? I don't have them myself, but plan on getting them soon and i have seen them at Borders.

Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters

and

Master Class in Figure Drawing

I've only skimmed through these a couple times, but from the book recommendations around the forum, these are a worthy choice in books.

What do you mean by memory books?
    Cause these are somewhat related to drawing:

Mythology by Alex Ross

and

Tarzan Chronicles

Here's a digital one:

Digital Character Design and Painting

You can never go wrong with a Norman Rockwell or John Singer Sargent book.

That's all i got man. Please don't buy sucky books just for the sake of using up those $200, unless it's a gift card Go for quality over quantity.

And let us know what you end up getting!

George

God Bless your art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, please do not waste two hundred dollars on drawing books. Save that money or invest it. Anyways if you want drawing books, I have several Loomis PDFs on my hard drive and will gladly e-mail them to you. These books are basically all you'll ever need.

P.S.
    I also have a series of tutorials by Greg Capullo, one of the artists involved with Spawn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well if Borders is your only option....

Bridgman's Complete Guide To Life Drawing by George Bridgman

The Practice and Science of Drawing by Harold Speed

Oil Painting Techniques by Harold Speed

The Human Figure by John H. Vanderpoel

Drawing With An Open Mind by Ted Seth Jacobs

All of the books listed above are between 7 to 20 US dollars.

Don't be embarassed for having 'How To Draw Manga' books. There's good solid information in many of them, but alot of it is really the same knowledge in the books listed above, but repackaged for alot more money

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The sad thing is that I have the loomis books. All of them, on PDF. I just haven't had much patience to go through them and look for specific sections to print.

But Dead Road 7, I would like those Greg Caupullo (sp?) tutorials if you can email them to me. I'll PM you the address since I'm one of the most paranoid people on earth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hale and Bridgman books are pretty much a must get, and the Harold Speed book is very good to have as well. Then follow Jetpacks advice and work your way through the thread, getting everything you can afford

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Road 7
    First of all, please do not waste two hundred dollars on drawing books. Save that money or invest it. Anyways if you want drawing books, I have several Loomis PDFs on my hard drive and will gladly e-mail them to you. These books are basically all you'll ever need.

P.S.
    I also have a series of tutorials by Greg Capullo, one of the artists involved with Spawn.
    buying a good book is an investment.

somemore jetpack didnt mention.

harley brown (good read)

anatomy
    stephen rogers peck
    Eliot goldfinger
    sarah simblet

No man should be less than what he is.
    sketchbook- http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61756

Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 332 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MadSamoan
    The Practice and Science of Drawing by Harold Speed

The Harold Speed drawing book is now available in an illustrated HTML format as a free download from Project Gutenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/14264

Choose the zipped HTML option (7.5 MB). Put the money you just saved towards "The Art Spirit" (Robert Henri) and any of the anatomy/drawing books by Hale, Brigdman, Peck or Goldfinger.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For fun...

Illustration Magazine
    http://www.illustration-magazine.com/

American Artist / Drawing Magazine (quarterly)
    http://www.myamericanartist.com/amer...wing/index.jsp

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.