IDM - #003: S.E.E. Device.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: IDM - #003: S.E.E. Device.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Project #003

Topic:
    "S.E.E. Device":

S.E.E. - Seeing-Eye Electronics

In the near future, Electronic devolpement will be more focused on human aid instead of entertainment. One of these electronic aids tackles the handicap of blindness. The design of this aid will have to be both functional and convenient to the user.

The S.E.E Devices will be issued from hospital, not retail stores, so the "visuals" of the device will not be the main "selling" point of the design.

The guidelines are:
    • Must be portable.
    • Must be convenient.
    • Must tackle the handicap of blindness in some way.

Deadline:
    June 30.

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

Post your Designs for this month, and have fun!

Last edited by Fozzybar; June 26th, 2005 at 05:18 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Natural Eye by S.E.E. - Restore Your sight Without Setting Yourself Apart

closer, but still a wip. I'm doing this along the lines of an advertisement

Natural Eye by S.E.E.

The idea behind this is simple -- people with devices meant to overcome problems usually want to look like everyone else, not a cyborg. Beyond that, a device can and should aim to be compact without large battery packs or interfaces stored elsewhere on the body. Natural Eye attaches to your existing muscle structure allowing free movement, and the innovative junction connector allows for seamless unity between the optic nerve and the True Sight processor. Lenses w/ motors controlled by natural muscle impulses means focusing is as intuitive as ever. The cornea can be removed easily on an outpatient basis allowing for easy maintenance/recharge visits every ten years or so. Restore Your sight Without Setting Yourself Apart!

-Craig

Last edited by Craig Houghton; June 28th, 2005 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Echo Location viewing system.
    Technology based on bat hunting skills. By using sonartechnology, a mini processor creates a digital map of the environment and uses dopler effect to detect motion. The Images are transferred to the optic nerve giving blind people the possibility to see a surrounding in grayscale. They still can hear normal sounds because the ear part switches between normal- and high-frequency-detection very fast.
    The person can deactivate both detection systems individualy which gives him the ability to relax his eyes/ears when he wants to sleep or rest.
    The device will be available in different cool models...
    WIPS
    damn June 30 = my last exam (electronics)

Last edited by Uziel; June 11th, 2005 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    also, if you need help, check out the threads here\

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

hey people, i saw somthing on this in popular science just yesterday so i adopted some of their ideas.

ICCU stands for I can see you.
    The chip eyepeice is loaded into a peice of strong gause like material made from a kevlar and polyester mix. the camera is very small but as the subtext states, its a temporary meassure given out by the hospital so that the person can function. people who want better sight will have to dol out the cash at some luxury goods shop. there are no wiers to mess things up an the processors are mounted outside the body to stop the heat from killing off tissue.

when the user of the ICCU looks at say, a cat, the camera takes the image and sends it to the lapel transpoder. the transponder sets the resolution to 150 px and sends it on a different frequency to the electrodes.

if another user was to walk by, the lapel mounted transponder would immediatly change frequencies. much like a car door opener.

-Crits please?

Last edited by ambidextros; June 8th, 2005 at 11:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i just got my computer set up, but since this doesn't play into my strong suit, ill wait for something more violent and destructive

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Introducing the enw Elppa (Electronics Lifting People's Physical abilities) iEye, a new breed in S.E.E. Hardware. It is a basic Sonar device that alerts the user when an object is near, using up to 16 directional speakers (when headphones are not used). The intensity of the sound depends on the distance of the object. Usually used with headphones.
    Obviously not designed for neatness on my part, but simplicity (Apple tradition) and functionality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *BUMP: reminder*

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sketched out some ideas for this last night and figured i'd post them this month.

Surgical advancements and breakthroughs in synthetic organs have so far been unable to create a successful eye for humans born blind. However, suitable advancements have been made to allow this system of supplimentary senses.

CONCEPT

The unit is in three main parts, the largest being the 'peripheral' vibration plate implant on to the outer surface of the ribs just under the skin, implanted optical sensors fitted to the users eye sockets and a smaller vibration plate mounted in the back of the users throat.

A small control and diagnostic interface is mounted under the right or left arm and the power pack is concealed in the abdomen. The unit is charged while the user sleeps using induction coils mounted in a fitted belt.

The large vibration plate emits high frequency sound when the user activates the device and the sound waves bounce off local objects and the implanted optical sensors collect the reflected waves and use the information to stimulate the optic nerves. This gives the user a monochrome 'ghostly' image of their immediate surroundings. To gain more detail, the user can open their mouth slightly to release the ultra high frequency vibrations from the 'focus' plate in the throat, these shorter wavelength signals allow the user to see far more surface detail, from facial features to some users able to appreciate oil paintings and sculpture.

The sensors are covered in an organic jelly giving them the appearance of a regular eye so there is little stygma attached to the system, although some users are being labelled 'fishies' due to the required opening of the mouth in front of people.

The waves emitted are inaudible to the human ear but users are strongly encouraged stay away from some animals and due to the risks of tissue damage from contant vibrations, it is suggested that the patient slowly works up to full power and various techniques are being developed to use the mouth shape to focus the UHF waves even more accurately to give even higher detail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was working on something that projected images into the brain however I changed tack after looking at Ni*'s (cool concept) and trying to simplify the tech side of it. So here's what I'm working on presently:
    The idea is that the vest puts varying amount of pressure on the chest and/or the back after receiving 3D info from the headset. The depth sensitivity of this may be altered for outdoor and indoor use (much like a volume knob). The power pack is flat against the back. The knob will probably be on the headset and the headset can be packed away in a compartment/pocket of the vest.

Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I noticed a couple of the entries rely on sound. If you're going to just use the sound to create impulses that stimulate the optic nerve anyhow, why not just do the same using visual information captured with an imaging device? They'd both be doing the same thing except the stimulation from the imaging device would better translate since sound waves are notorious for bouncing in funky ways off of different materials and are just plain more difficult to work with. Sure, light gets funky too, but funky in the ways that vision is built to handle.

-Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Craig I was thinking the same thin for a long time, if can send digital images formed by sound it could as well use a camera to send the images but when we would base our concepts on a camera we probably all came up with the same SEE device. A millimetric radar,infra red and x-ray vision would have been even better looking thru clothes and walls.

"Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I get the points about the use of sound and you are right that sounds (and any other energy) wavelengths can cause constructive and destructive interference (stand between 2 stereo speakers and walk away and you will hear louder and queter spots) and yeah, the longer a wavelength, the more it will distort and the more detail will be lost.

I tackled this problem from a slightly 'sci-fi' slant and deliberately avoiding the camera eyes idea, and i tried to think of existing animal solutions to the navigation and senses problem, since thats the source for a large percentage of design problems, nature does it best. Another thing i had in my mind with this is that existing solutions to physical human problems and most, be they surgical or prosthetic, always fall short of a complete replacement organ or limb so the user has to work around it or develope new techniques.

i did toy with the idea of converting the biggest organ into a sensor so the skin would become like a huge 3D eye, but thats a bit beyond my field of industrial design and can you imagine actually seeing out your own arse!??

anyway good points, and thats my explanation of the background to my concept, 2 days for some more entries, this part of the forum should be buzzing. next month, i'm doing this properly on A3 paper with a fineliner and a few markers :-D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi
    at first I tried to do something with artificial eyes, but later I saw similar concepts so I tried to develop it a little bit more.
    Here it is my first post, sorry for the english, it is not my first language.

Concept:
    The development of artificial eyes was the first widelly used method for providing vision to blind people. This system consisted in the implantation of artificial eyes, which were digital capture devices being the information encoded and passed to the optical nerve by nano-interactions between machine and nervous tissue, simulation the function of the normal eye. From its beginings in 2012 to 2018 large improvements were done, from blurry vision to great vision systems. The later included several optional extras: video and data recording, data transmission, wirelless or cable comunication, access to virtual operating systems and internet, night vision, and more. Many people started using this system even without eye problems since it provided a better viewing system than the “natural one”. This however had several drawbacks: didn’t solve blindness in people in which it was not caused by “faulty eyes” but from brain incapacity to understand the input, injury due to protesis rejection or mechanical damage of the organic tissues was also common. The development of the central digital data receiving/transducing neural beta card, later called “digipiphany”. This mechanism used a mix of nanotechnology and pluripotent undiferentiated cells, which were used to create a new organ in the brain- the “digicortex”- which allowed the brain to receive and understand digital input- this brought much greater implications than just vision and has changed everybody’s life forever- allowing for the development of virtual telepathy through wirelless comunacation without the need of actual speaking and listening. Has expected this technollogy has allowed the cure of great part of blindness diseases and by 2024 had also become the new standard data input. However this is a system that still has a lot to develop, still 2,21% of the people cannot develop correctly the digicortex, and about 0,54% die from the surgery or from post-surgery complications, while 0,32% become catatonic- other survive but are never capable to develop the digicortex. Most of the reasons for this to happen are still unknown, but nowadays people without digipiphany are regarded the same way as blind people in the past and can never get a important job or status in society due to “technological incompatibility”.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final:
    This product utilises already existing senses to provide a kind of vision, without compromising on the original sense. There is no need for surgery, this product is completely standalone. The head unit generates the 3D landscape which is then sculpted, using small electromagnets, on to the chest of the user allowing them to feel the environment around them. The depth cutoff can be adjusted using a small dial positioned behind the left ear, when turned to the minimum the device switches off. This allows the user to be comfortable in outdoor and indoor environments. This device is also being developed for military purposes, giving troops a greater sense of depth perception, particularly in dark conditions, as well as eyes in the back of their heads.

Research shows Industrial Design of the Week is addictive.
    Come get your fix.

Sculpty Fight! - The Sculpt & 3D Challenge

Flipbook 2
    www.Philistine.com.au

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SEE --- is the multitask adaptation of the contemporary walking stick.

20+ strobing lasers (mounted within the front and side of the mechanism) vibrate to relay a simple tactile projection of the nearby area.
    By sensing sudden changes in landscape, the SEE can communicate these to the blind user by use of gyration feedback.

for example: Grass off the sidewalk can be sensed by the scanning-lasers when beams of light strike the blades and gain the abstract 'texture' information ----- this is then communicated to the user by means of a slight 'tug' from the center gyration 'ball'.

By means of GPS-map tracking the SEE can communicate turns, stops, angles, and changes in path by rhythmicly 'tugging' communications to the user ----- not only that, but the GPS-map has a direct link to "ONSARS" new security service. Speaker and Mic on the handle can allow for emergencies to be adressed.

The front mounted lasers are capable of recognizing an archive of text-fonts ---- And through translation can adapt what we see as text (from a billboard to the back of a peach-can) into brail through the use of SEE's polytactile-beaded brail "display"

The SEE, being only as heavy as the avg video-game controller, can run on a 30+hour charge through its Lythium-Ion battery.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sammy; July 1st, 2005 at 11:47 AM.

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    S.E.E. - Hovercam

The hovercam is able to float and move in the air using it's three magneto-ion engines. It's mind-controlled by it's user. Blind people get the transmitter/reciever installed in their eyeballs so they can be connected to the vision part of the brain. For military use(who also get nightvision and infrared cameras installed) a goggle was developped with semitransparant vision and mindcontrol connecters installed in the earpieces.

The quad-band transmitter/receiver uses the three main cellphone frequencies (900/1800/1900MHz) and a 5600-6800MHz adjusteable frequency.
    When using the adjusteable frequency band the maximum range between the user and the device is 25meters, using the cellphone bands the range is unlimited but transmission of images is disabled and they are recorded to the internal memory which can contain up to 4 hours of video material.

it's also usefull as a very very expensive (and floating) webcam which greatly improves interaction on the "specialized webcam sites"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ni*: I like your idea of high frequency waves used as the source for a visual represantation of the surrounding. I don't think those high frequency waves would be distracted easily by normal sounds. You propably took the bat or certain ocean animals as reference. It might be possible that this high frequency sound waves provide a much more detailed view than the human eye, as bats for example can recognise flying insects and navigate through woods safely.

But as the optical sensors are already developed pretty far and those things are already in mass-production today, I think a CCD chip would be much more economical. Also CCD chips already create electrical impulses wich could be transfered to the human nerv-system at ease. The main problem might be the "translation" of the signals into a language that the human brain understands. That means that the user has to practise with the device for a long time period, before he or she can use it with full efficience. Just like synthetical limbs wich the user has to control by creating special emotions or by concentrating on something that might not concern the limb at all. (At least that's what I know with my TV-Knowledge)

Those CDD chips could be certainly used inside the eyeballs. Recreating the structure of an eyeball, that means recreating nature, is propably the most plausible solution.
    I know everybody does that "eyeball"-thing, but if this is no contest about curiousity but design, I think (also I've never studied design) that it's the best and most realistic one.

Cheers

Sorry for the long post, but it's really funny to step up into this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so.... when is IDM 4 coming around?

No. No. Uh uh. No way. Ain't happening.

alright, gimme a sec.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.