Art: New Monster concept... ORTHO!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Monster concept... ORTHO!

Here's a monster I concepted for a friend/co-worker of mine who is going to model and texture it.

Too lazy to do a "final" looking version of the back view, but its not really neccessary for our purposes....

-Sean

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool Sean. So is this thing smart, or is it like a beast of burden? Just wondering because of the gauntlets on its arm. Oh yeah, thanks for posting a big image!

JEZZARTS Guest
    Nice Concepts, strange feet for sure but very cool... and nicely rendered

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice creature design. The larger pictures are great so that we can enjoy the level of detail you put into your creature. The only thing I can crit is the back feet on the unfinished back shot, they don't look like they are resting on the ground. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but if this creature walks on all fours, maybe the ability to stand as well, but shouldn't his thumb be placed a bit back some more? I can't see how he can support himself with all his fingers infront. Aren't monkey thumbs able to support more of the back of the hand? I am not sure on this though, just a thought. Other than that really really nit picky thing, I think this is great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really cool creature. the only crit i have is the strange feet. i think they look too human to me.

greetz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice textures in this and great details at the hands and feet! the rendering of the surface details is very strong.

one suggestion, I think you need some more space between his pelvis and his ribcage, lengthen him a bit. maybe look at a greyhound, they have this deep narrow chest that curves in tight to the spine at the abdomen, very whip-like and muscular.

so, um, has Don Cheadle taken a break from acting to approve monster designs?

bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks exactly like the earth demon in Shadow Hearts 2
    The feet look odd in the side angle, even giving you the benifit of the doubt and assuming his midpace in a walk or something, at least one of the feet should be flat to the ground.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent stuff! I really like the guy, please post the modeled version later on too

Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet. Very sweet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Killa work man...i love it...

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great post, thx for including all the detail shots. I really like the way you intergrated the green armor like back with the fleshy body. This looks like you painted over a pen line drawing, which is a little different then how you normally work, did you? I also really like the fact that I'm not sure if this creature is good or evil, I often find the most interesting creatures/characters to be the ones your not sure about, Raymurok could be my best friend or he could rip my face off, and that leaves me wanting to know more about him. I should take him out for a beer to get on his good side.Also I'd love to see the model when it is complete. When starting a design do you take into condsideration the # of polys that are going to be used on the model, and if so do you find that limiting for your creativity? I'm sure a player avatar in a game gets a higher poly count then the low level mob in the newbie zone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome piece! nice detail shots...especially the head. I think it would be cool if you gave him some nasty teeth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey sean i love this piece man. i love your style. i always look forward to pieces from you. only one crit though. The upper bodyily anatomy conflicts to much with the hands and feet. from the looks of it this animal would have its fleshy hands and feet torn apart from its weight and running. maybe somesort of colored hide on the soles of the feet.like calissed and rough skin. maybe that black rough skin on dogs paws. and since it looks like its not a biped but runs on all fours i would invert the joints. maybe. these are just opinions and opinions are cheap.lol. besides that man buetiful work and i cant wait to see some more sean murray. ;p

ps(you work with marc so tell him to start posting again.lol.)

chad

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really enjoy first pg, bottom right image... has a lot of personality...have to agree with blue puppy on the feet and hands, moving some of that texture around the creature would help bring the design together even more so. I like how you have carried the circular elements with the eyes and the armor, maybe instead of just straight spikes replicate those cool plates on it's back Is this creature it's own master or is it bieng led by anouther?

cool beans!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

well

I like the detail. But I think you need to develop the character more as well as the anatomy.

hellllooo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the detail and the styrations of the muscles. My only crit is I dont think its very practical in respect to evolutionary theory. Meaning, scales and soft flesh (particularly the hands and feet) dont usually mix in nature. Is this an inteligent creature? A tool user? Just some things to consider. Nice rendering man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone!

Phew! Man, I had no idea there were so many biologists that frequented this site!

Actually, I totally get what many of you are saying in regards to certain biological/evolutionary concerns. There is a particular concept artist who did a bunch of monster stuff for a movie that I have always taken issue with regarding said illustrator's creature anatomy and how it does not often make sense...... BUT, that said, here is my attempt at an explanation:

He is semi-domestic creature trained to fight in illegal, underground fights. His master outfitted him with his gauntlets and trained him to use them. When attacking, he sits back on his haunches and swipes with the gauntlets. When he does this, he is often vulnerable to attack on his under-belly. His other move is to lower his head and ram, in an attempt to knowck his opponent off-balance. This move is usually safe from attack since he has armor along the top of his head, neck and spine.

As far as EVOLUTION is concerned, this creature once walked more upright, but was eventually forced to move into a system of caverns with a relatively low "ceiling", which is covered with barnacles and crystals. These caverns are also generally flowing with water, wherein lots of fish can be found, the favorite food of the Raymurok.

The low and rough ceiling resulted in the creatures having to hunch over, and eventually developing a tough carapace to protect itself from the sharp points and edges. The hands and feet remained smooth to allow for maximum sensitivity when searching for fish in the water. It also has individual digits that can grab the fish and shellfish on the floor of the watery caverns, but are thick and blunt, for supporting the creatures weight and balance.

I am sure there are some arguable points there. I think this guy may require an "action shot" for more calrification.

Anyways, thanks again to all for the comments.

Another piece coming soon!

-Sean

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is a good and detailed concept for 3d. I liked those eyes

Members who have read this thread: 1