Portfolio Review
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Portfolio Review

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Portfolio Review

I am new to conceptart.org. I searched the forums and could not figure out the appropriate place to post this so I started a new thread. Hopefully it will be useful for all. If not, I am sure the moderators will send me in the right direction.

The idea, is feedback and reviews of peoples on-line portfolios rather then individual pieces of art.

I have had My Web Site up for almost a year now and have used it in my applications process to countless studios and such, but have received far less responses than I hoped or expected.

Is it too big, too slow, to busy, hard to navigate, etc. You tell me...Please.

I could really use the feed back, just please take the time to explore it and understand its size and content before responding. And keep in mind that the only people I am targeting the sight at is the Art Directors I make application submissions to. Whom, I assume, have high speed connections.

Thanks in advance for the help.

IronGimp

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you got some really good stuff up there, but I would probably post this in the job forum instead of finally finished perhaps if you are trying to target art directors

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i took a quick look at yr site and imo you should go the comic way (no offense, go the one you like ) cause yr style is ideal suited for that.

Here in Europe the studio's would be eager to find you a scenarist if you would knock on there door. Really, have you ever thought of drawing comics?

But hey, this is just a personal opinion of e noob on this forum so take it for what you like cause i don't know much yet of what is going on here.

Little do we know about "life"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice figure drawing Smitherines.

I am not posting this to get a job, which is why I didn't post it in the jobs section. I am posting it to get feedback on the web site as a whole.

Fibberkun, I have worked in the comic book biz, thats what the comic book art on my site is from. Sorry if the info there didn't make that clear, I'll look at correcting that.

Thanks for the feedback.

IronGimp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nonono, it now did make it clear, just looked fast through it then. Took a closer look and i like it, no real crit on it.

So didn't you enjoyed making comics? Or was it time to move on

Little do we know about "life"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My experience in the business was some good, some bad, but mostly good.

I never really got to do the sort of stuff that I really wanted to do as an illustrator.

As a colorist, the best experience was working with Mark Pajarillo on his "Priest" book for Extreme studios, as short lived as that was.

I have thought about getting back into, because I love doing the illustration and the story telling, but I have no interest in getting back into the main stream stuff here in the USA.

If I got back in to it, it would have to be alternative press stuff, perhaps even self publishing.

-IronGimp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

Youīve got some cool drawings in your portfolio.
    I had a look in your website and here are some suggestions.

*) I would leave out the splashpage (the index-file), because it delays the recption of your site. Leave such front pages for technical advice (if it canīt be left out) like: Flash plugin needed...etc

*) The first thing I noticed was this pig-image. I think that it doesnīt match to the quality of your content and looks a little bit amateurish It could make you loose a visitor befor he even saw your works.
    So if you want to keep this page change Iīd at least change the image

*) Itīs fine that youīve got aranged your items (illustrations, renders...) vertically. Iīd just make the link to your bio a little bit bigger. May be with an image as well. People like to see who is behind websites as the internet is very anonymous. And specially persons in leading positions (who I think are your target users) donīt have very much patience to look for a specific button

*) Why donīt you put the "contact" button at the bottom of the list?
    Usually items/sections are arranged in that logical order:
    - main sections (gallery...etc
    - utilities (forum, jobs...etc
    - contact etc
    There are no webdesign-standards, but there are some design-concepts that got established in the last 15 years. As youīve got a very traditionally designed website Iīd stick to them in order to make it easier for your users.
    When you are not doing an artistic site, I think thatīs it better if your website behaves the way your users await it.

*) Like the navigation of your sub-sections (within "screen shots & renders"):
    The cognitive load you demand is rather high for a person who has little time (like an art director). I think that it would be easier to navigate if you showed the subsections (maybe in an horizontal list)
    That would have another advantage: Your users can jump from one sub-section (within the the same main-section) to another without having to go up and down in your content hierarchy.

*) You created the upper image as a link to your startpage. Thatīs fine īcause everyone would await to behave your site like that.

*) When you click on (for example) color concepts you firstly see a page that contains text and after clicking on the vertical image you get directed to the thumbnails. Iīd leave that step out, because someone who clicks at the "colored concepts" section wants to see your pictures (normally as fast as possible). Not many people take the time to read every text.
    And as its clear that someone has to click at the thumbs I think you can leave out the explaning text ("click on the thumbs...")
    Instead you could put your descriptions next or at the bottom of your full scale pics.

*) Whatīs really fine are the little arrows to navigate between the pictures inside the same section. Many designers who show their works online forget it. It makes the navigation easier.

*) Itīs cool that you show your user in which section he is at the moment (putting the title like "color concepts" at the left). You could make the title a little bit bigger and put it above your pics at the right side. I think it would make it easier to know where you are.

*) Itīs a fine idea that you put a shortcut to your most recent projects. That makes it easier for people who visit your site more than once to see whatīs going on.

On the whole Iīd say youīve got nice content there and with some little cosmetic fixes it could be more usable.

hope it helps

oh, and please donīt look at the errors. Iīm not from the US....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice web-design. it's really good for portfolio purposes and will serve you well in my opinion. good domain, too (kinda original )

it's obvious that you have experience with drawing and even developed some style of your own. BUT i think you should work some more on your basic understanding of both anatomy and lighting. there is some wonkyness i've seen in lots of the creatures that stems not from style but from lack of anatomy.
    also, you could push your colors some more, make more interesting compositions and so on. i hope this helps a bit, please don't get mad at me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    also you may want to back away from the over-exxageratted style of rob liefield <--douche

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.