[WIP] SW: Yoda vs. Sidious (traditional) updated:6-19

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

[WIP] SW: Yoda vs. Sidious (traditional) updated:6-19

[scroll down for updates]

I'm working on a Starwars painting and really want some constructive crits. I'm really pushing myself to jump to a higher level and there are no better artists on the web than here at conceptart.

I've been really into Charest, Struzan and classic illustrators. I'm trying to do a grisille underpainting in black and white the way Travis does but I don't want to go as tight as he does. Anyway, here are the pencil outlines. I'm getting ready to spot my blacks and start laying down greytones.

There will be a ball of force lightening between Sidious's hands. That will be my main light source along with yoda's dual light sabors. The traditional media will be pencil, ink, acrylics, and colored pencils.

C & C welcome and desired.

Last edited by bfowler; June 19th, 2005 at 08:35 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Great sketch! I love sidious' hands. His expression is great too!
    Only nip pick I have is it seems yoda's eyes are a little too far apart, or maybe the forehead is too big compare to the one in the movie. It's not a bid deal if that's your version of it. Sidious' hood is too high on top, seems like he has a long skull, it probably would look difference if you apply shading to it.

Thanks
    Has yoda turned to the dark side? He looks pretty mad...

Thanks
    my fav part of the piece are sidious' hands. Nice work

Thanks
    the trooper that is above left to yoda is way too big. besides that and the other's comments, keep going!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    sorry, it may just be me but Sidius' hands are my least favourite part. the first thing i thought when i saw it was "whats the deal? the fingers dont appear to be on/from the same hand?!!" it took a bit to gather the shading, but i suggest in future you either shade there and then or lighten up on the shadow indicators. even minus the shading-in-progress, his left hand inparticular looks like a very awkward pose (though not impossible or all that painful, but it still looks off). yodas expression needs some work also. ha sorry to be the bad-cop, i didnt mean to come across as condescending with my crit keep working at it i look forward to seeing a coloured WIP

Thanks
    The sizes of yoda and troopers don't match the perspective and the hands are awkward.
    Sid's facial skin should hang very loose also under the eyes and I don't think that he can make balls of lightning like in dragonball-Z

Thanks
    super!!!

Thanks
    This is working fine, but I wish to see some more action. This is realy old school. At first bigger field of view (deeper perspective).

Thanks
    I like it, you've got a kick ass start here. I agree with the above comments for the most part, especially that CloneTrooper behind Yoda. Couple more suggestions: To fix Palpatine's dome, either you can make his forehead all wrinkled and effed up like in the film, or you can bring his hood down so it's almost covering his eyes. I would also maybe make his eyes appear more sunken/evil. The pinky on his right hand looks a little strange, like it curves against the other fingers. Also because of the lack of foreshortening on the pinky, it makes it look a lot longer than the others.
    As far as Yoda, his face looks okay, but I think his mouth is a little to big, almost like an ape face or something. Maybe just tone it down so he looks more like Yoda. Also his ears usually curve up, not down.
    Pretty cool though, I like the big, epic sense of action you have. And Yoda with two sabers? Maybe not so accurate for the hardcore fans, but supersweet new idea! Looks awsome, can't wait to see more progress.

Why is the Rum gone??

My Art

Thanks
    Well if that were real I'd be a helluva lot more afraid of Yoda than Sidious... seriously, waving dual sabers around is dangerous shit! (I've tried it with sticks... wound up with 3 bruises, one of which was on my head )

Thanks
    I've started with some grey washes. I spend a good bit of time experimenting with different ways to create tonal gradations. Different inks, size brushes, wet into wet, wet into dry, lots of water, little bit of water, pencil, airbrush, etc. I also tried different combinations. Then I started on Yoda. Here's a detail shot.

look - Thanks for the compliments. Yoda's eyes may be a bit far apart but it works for me and you're right about Sid's long head. It will conform with the shading is added.

Uziel - if you knew the back story of what Sid did to Yoda's momma then you'd understand he anger. If you want to know more you're going to have to ask Yoda yourself. I've seen him at a number of Wal-marts, just press his hand and he'll tell you everything.

kian3001 - I kind of like them myself. They kinda my hands since I used myself for reference.

Chaotic Knight - ...a couple of people have found some problems with that storm trooper behind Yoda. I don't think it's the size relationship between he and the other characters. It's the perspective and size of his arms and hands. It's not fixed yet but it will be. Thanks to you and many others who saw that trooper of a bit off. I may also increase Yoda's size a bit with some photoshop magic when all is done.

stoph - Don't worry about the hands. They will pop when I add the shading. Contours of hands do look weird when they are coming at you like that. I did a number of lighting shots with my own hands and trusty camera. And don't be sorry about giving me a good crit. We may disagree a bit about the hands but you've caused me to really examine them and take more care to ensure they are correct. With crits I take what anyone says and try to use it. If more than one person notices a problem I try and fix it even if I don't see it as well.

Uziel - I talked to Sid and he said you'd be very surprised at what the force can do.

andrew - thanks!

Danilo - I don't know about old school. I'm be doing the same thing if I was using the computer as my medium instead of ink and paint. I just like getting my hands dirty and having something to hold. I didn't want to go with too much depth because I wanted to keep the focus in the foregound.

Maruchan - thanks for all the comments. Sid will get really messed up before long with plenty of wrinkes, scabs, etc. I turned his ears down because of how fast he's jumping towards Sid. I hope that'll will show up more when I add the swoosh of the sabor and some other details later on. Yea, Yoda with two sabors is rather nasty.

Aztaroth - Ouch, sounds painful. I've been hit with sticks before too but it was somebody else doing the wacking.

Thanks to everyone who has comments and helped me notice a number of mistakes in take to do something about them. Thanks for looking.

Thanks
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/recevic/joda.jpg
    I was thinking about figure placement. (sry, I draw on ur pic)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danilo
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/recevic/joda.jpg
    I was thinking about figure placement. (sry, I draw on ur pic)
    I not sure I'm clear on what you mean?

Thanks
    It is too stabile. It is more descriptive than dramatic. Horisont is placed in plane... it looks static.
    http://www.scottallie.com/images/swbetrayal1_med.jpg

This is something better(modern).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danilo
    It is too stabile. It is more descriptive than dramatic. Horisont is placed in plane... it looks static.
    http://www.scottallie.com/images/swbetrayal1_med.jpg

This is something better(modern).
    Ahh, I see what you mean now. You're right. Mmmm, I may have to change a couple of things. Thank you.

Thanks

I'm more than halfway done with the grayscale stage. I've got the stormtroopers to do and the background. They I'll refine it some to equal out the value relationships betwwen objects, etc. This is all pencil and ink. I've used watercolor brushes and a bit of airbrush.

I changed the pose of the trooper behind yoda. I made him more dynamic and with his head coming forward to show a little bit of the effect of yoda jumping off of him. The effect of him dropping his gun and his arm flailing about adds to that. I also extended the left arm to try and add some more vertical lines to make the piece less static. I reinforced this by making the back wall move forward in perspective to strengthen the diagonal. The lightsabors also add to this idea.

All this along with the lighting contrast leads your eyes right to the Sidious. There is still quite a bit to do but I'm having a ball and am very excited about how this is coming out. Thanks again to all those that commeted.

Thanks
    Very cool! Im interested in seeing how it turns out. What size are you workin in?
    Good luck!
    Peece,
    mel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by melmann
    Very cool! Im interested in seeing how it turns out. What size are you workin in?
    Good luck!
    Peece,
    mel

It's just under 14 x 20 inches. Thanks for looking and the comments.

Thanks
    Here is more...

Thanks

Thanks

Icon

very awsome.....i love how the muted colors work through the image.....and darth sideous looks great with the shading.....

"The function of art is to stop us and take us out of our skin,
    Unveiling the spirit's pure nakedness without beginning or end.
    These dialogues of Maker and Seer weave together matter with soul,
    Consecrating the practice of art as speech of the ineffable." ~ALEXgrey

....fear the munky

Thanks
    To be honest with you, when I saw the opening image, I almost did a b-line out the door. Somehow I stayed till the end and noticed that lighting is definitely your strong point, bfowler. That Sidious is pretty impressive. Good work.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.