Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following

best system for Painter..

hey my current system (bare essentials) is as follows:

- P4 2.8GB processor
    - 512MB memory
    - 160GB hard drive (w/ around 300 gig to play with on the home server)

im running Painter 5.0 at them moment but am going to upgrade to version 8 and then 9 when i can. is there any upgrades to my system/are there any recommended upgrades that i make to the hardware for optimum performance? just curious, ive noticed many around have in excess of 2 gig worth of memory and am wondering if more than 512 would see a long term benefit? i get wholesale on most things so i can spend it up hehe.. oh and whats the deal with dual monitors is it worth it also? i have a rough idea as to what would be required for such a conversion but yeah, just want an inside opinion.

basically gimme a dream spec list and ill see what i can amass

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have a free slot bung another 512 ram in there, won't cost much and you should notice a difference on most graphics apps, especially if you are running Windows XP.

-Steve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what OS are you running? windows xp? in that case, 512 MB more RAM wouldn't hurt. I don't use painter, so I can't tell exactly how much memory it can/would like to use...but if you're working with one or many huge images, I'm guessing it can store everything in RAM if you have enough, which will be A LOT faster than storing it on the HD.
    If you're getting more memory and don't have a problem with money, I'd say get a 1 gig module. That way you can easily upgrade again, even if the motherboard only has two slots for RAM (you might want to look into that - how many slots are there, and is the current memory one 512 MB module, or two 256 MB modules, or what?).

Hope that helps a bit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The more memory you have, the better the performance is.
    Especially since the memory is pretty cheap now.
    You don't really need dual monitor, although it's kind of neat when you need to look at a referrence image on the side.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you can afford it, you should obviously get as much RAM as your computer can handle, but 1 gig should be enough for most work. Even 512mb should be enough unless you need to work on really large images, like A3 @ 300dpi or larger, but even then 512mb can be enough if you keep your layers to a minimum and stay away from the water brushes. Honestly I didn't notice a large difference when I upgraded from 512 to 1gb, it was there but it wasn't the "omfg my computer just turned warp speed fast" feeling I was hoping for.

And, I'd upgrade directly to Painter 9 and skip 8. Apparently most Painter 9 brushes are a lot less demanding on your cpu and memory, compared to most painter 8 brushes. I'm running painter 8 on a P4 2,8 with 1gb memory, and it works great, but when i had the Painter 9 trial installed, everything was running just a little bit smoother.

My dream spec list right now would be the same system as I'm running, but with a better monitor and painter 9... it's enough for what I do at the moment. But you should obviously get as much computer as you can possibly afford.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooooh missed this one.

with the dual monitor thing... i wasn't big on it. or didn't think it would be that useful until i tried it. i LOVE it. and a few people i have talked to said they felt the same way. that they didn't see what the big deal was and didn't think it would make that much of a difference... until they tried it. and wow, now they can't do without.

for me it's great because you can have different things open while you work... like , your email, your music, or another program that you can go back and forth between. it's definately worth it if you have the space.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chimera
    with the dual monitor thing... i wasn't big on it. or didn't think it would be that useful until i tried it...
    ...for me it's great because you can have different things open while you work... like your email, your music, or another program that you can go back and forth between. it's definately worth it if you have the space.
    Not to mention a great place to park all those big clunky tool palettes so they don't obstruct your work but are still always open and accessible.

Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most definetly 9, I was running 8 on 512mb and it was ok until I started working huge. Upgraded to 9 and it was superb! Not much slow down until humongous brushes.

Of course now I have a 1gb (A Giggle) and not much in the way of slow down at all, until I tried a 712 size brush... eep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah a gig would be best.

"As you may have noticed, Im not all here my self..."

Give me some love! JARheads SKETCHBOOK of DOOM!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.