C.O.W. - #017: Hill Stomper

Round #017

Topic:
    Hill Stomper

Deadline:
    Tuesday, 14 June 2005

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the last rounds I missed some of the regulars who entered at the beginning of COW ...Matt Dixon, xia, fungi, lukavi, Dougbot, arteric, Helzon etc...

So, i guess they are in the same mood/situation like me...i already had short time to enter the COW each week but i mostly managed to do an entry, but as the weather got warmer and warmer i miss some motivation for pc-stuff...

That means, if this round will have also less entries than the usual ratio i will start a summer break for COW...all for the sake of it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hill stomper??
    i like it best when theres alil blurb about the idea behind
    the title for the concept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think it's the summer thing that causes people to not participate. I'd rather blame following :

- End of semester which causes some of us to focus more on school than on anything else
    - Very weird topics lately or too much open ended (like the last one) - half of the entries in the last one was disqualified
    - Some of the people you mentioned, already won the COW so maybe they're not so much willing to participate.

I was waiting for the summer to participate because I'm too busy most of the year with school and work, so anouncing a summer break is like kick in the nuts for me And this week's topic is great - I have an idea already

Also - off topic, maybe you can answer this - what's up with IDM ? Davi added the winner of the IDM#1 to the winners thread today, but didn't put up a voting for IDM#2 (which topic BTW was simply to difficult and complex) or start IDM#3 ? Is that on dead already?

Sketchbook
    Sketch(up)book
    Blog
    Twitter
    ------------------------------------------------------
    TEAM CHOW - Nasty Sausages
    ------------------------------------------------------
    CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:
    The Ocean Collective

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooooh... Hill stomper...? Nice title...

I didn't have time to take part last week, but i'm gonna try and get something done for this one!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tad
    Ok here is the blurb especially for you:
    "Hill Stomper - make a concept about a hill stomping creature. The creature must be able to stomp hills. It is called Hill Stomper because it is known for stomping hills. The hills are stomped by this creature. Stomping hills makes this creature the hill stomper. It stomps the hills by stomping them. You are in the land of the Hill Stomper if you see creatures stomping the hills like seeing hills which are stomped by the Hill Stomper."

thirdeye
    Now, the weird topic thingy was the result of allowing the winners to pick the topics i guess, i already got another pm where someone complained about this...the easiest way is to turn back to the old system, where i picked the topics. I didn't want to change it, since we came up with this idea in the ideas-thread...it's all about democracy (and sometimes cruel decisions by the ones who are on top, hehe)...

hmm...you waited for summer...i would really like to kick in your nuts, so this is not an argument for me

"half of the entries in the last one was disqualified"...errrmmm....like two? I will be a little stricter in future when it comes to rushed or inane entries...

IDM...i don't know anything about IDM, davi is the master of this thing, but i think slowly ca.org-duties are overflooding his time budget...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hmm i'd agree on bringin back the old system. even if it's something for the winners to look forward too i dunno if it really brings out good ones. people expect different things from the topic also (like fungi chose gluttonous emperor).so,back to set topics!

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm Hill Stomper eh? .....

Keep your dream alive - Feed it daily!

"The true essence of swordsmanship is like the willow blowing in the gentle breeze" - Tesshu (someday my art will be like this)

website

Mah Sketchbawk!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hill Stomper is a fantastic and easily accessible topic. I hope everyone is gunning for this, but if there's not much of a turn-out, a summer break is a great idea. Actually, it's a painful idea, but for the sake of the cow I understand the wisdom behind it.

-Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar
    Tad
    Ok here is the blurb especially for you:
    "Hill Stomper - make a concept about a hill stomping creature. The creature must be able to stomp hills. It is called Hill Stomper because it is known for stomping hills. The hills are stomped by this creature. Stomping hills makes this creature the hill stomper. It stomps the hills by stomping them. You are in the land of the Hill Stomper if you see creatures stomping the hills like seeing hills which are stomped by the Hill Stomper."
    ....well said Fozzy!

I think this topic has a lot of possibilities of good art. As for going back to the old system, what's the difference between Fozzy picking the topic, and the winner picking the topic? They're all coming from the same list of topics and Fozzy still has final say over something he doesn't like. And for those complaining about this weeks topic, I would guess Fozzy picked it since he didn't say who did. If that's the case then your complaining about nothing because you already got your wish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very good topic indeed AND FOZZY! DON'T MAKE A SUMMER BRAKE!!! please vacation is the only time I have time for such things

WIP

Last edited by palal; June 8th, 2005 at 06:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the last rounds I missed some of the regulars who entered at the beginning of COW ...Matt Dixon, xia, fungi, lukavi, Dougbot, arteric, Helzon etc...
    I don't know if I qualify as a "regular" or not, but I've been fairly busy with commission work. I suspect the others are in the same boat there. I know Matt is.

Cheers,
    ~S

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by leckronium
    ....well said Fozzy!

I think this topic has a lot of possibilities of good art. As for going back to the old system, what's the difference between Fozzy picking the topic, and the winner picking the topic? They're all coming from the same list of topics and Fozzy still has final say over something he doesn't like. And for those complaining about this weeks topic, I would guess Fozzy picked it since he didn't say who did. If that's the case then your complaining about nothing because you already got your wish.
    I chose the topic, since duddlebug and AndrewLey didn't send me a suggestion (better this way, could have been hard with two winners, hehe)...

I don't know if the winners always took topics from the idea-thread, i don't check this (you don't expect this from me, really?)...but i would appreciate it, since members post their ideas in this thread and it shouldn't be for nothing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by leckronium
    As for going back to the old system, what's the difference between Fozzy picking the topic, and the winner picking the topic?
    Well, there might be a slight difference, like i started the whole COW-activity and therefore my picks support the unity of this idea....but then again it's not said that picks from other users will change it and if so, changes are nice sometimes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Either way you choose to continue COW is fine with me. I still think this is the funnest part of this site. I'm surprised there hasn't been more threads like it. If you choose to go on summer break I'll understand, sometimes it gets really hot up here on the second floor and I don't have air conditioning..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Eriboss introduces himself to the C.O.W"

decided to join in this week, liked the title "Hill Stomper"

anyway here's the way im thinkin, very early WIP concept:
    gunna have something to do with jumping, and bird eating i think
    edit: playin with colour:

Last edited by Eriboss; June 7th, 2005 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my entry, and my first post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i only found out about this just recently and im most definatly going to enter this week, i hope you dont hold that summer break because i think this is a kickass activity. and summer vacation is the part of the year i have most time to do such a thing

my sketchbook

"One must always draw, draw with the eyes, when one cannot draw with a pencil"
    Balthazar Klossowski de Rola.
    SSG XXXI
    Lohan-Luxun-Prophet-Bendragon-dan liimatta-Evil Sloth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    btw can people do collabs?

my sketchbook

"One must always draw, draw with the eyes, when one cannot draw with a pencil"
    Balthazar Klossowski de Rola.
    SSG XXXI
    Lohan-Luxun-Prophet-Bendragon-dan liimatta-Evil Sloth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by luxun
    btw can people do collabs?
    nope!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - End of semester which causes some of us to focus more on school than on anything else
    That'll be the reason for me.
    Though I hadn't had much time to participate, I liked visiting now and then to check the topic and see if I can at least think of something and maybe sketch it later, and I rather liked the variety of the topics; from loose ended to topics where it's harder to think of original ideas, but fun coming up with them.
    Summer break from COW? Oh, please don't.

Freedom is awesome.
    www.croovman.deviantart.com/gallery

On-going project - RATS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hill Stomper as painted by Matt Vending

These creatures were unknown to us for a long time until 'that' day.
    On the second day of March the earth trembled. It was the awakening of the organisms we know call 'Hill stompers'. For many centuries our people have built their homes and towns upon green hills rich with vegetation and food sources unknowing of the danger at hand. Little did we know these 'hills' were crawling behemoths when suddenly our cities began rising towards the skies and moving towards the horizon. Those who had the fortune of living on a stomper were the lucky ones. Those who lived on the ground, in large urban area's would soon face a terrible faith. The stompers flattened nearly every great city whenever they came across one, nesting in it's ruins. We have learned the stompers cannot be destroyed so we had to make the best of our situation. We can only hope, that one day, the hill stompers will lay to rest once again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wont be taking part this week because this is the heaviest week of exams I've ever had. I haven't been around here long but I'd like to say that I was also hoping to take part in more ca.org activities over the summer holidays. Still, I understand how a summer break might be justified if interest continues to die down. I just hope it would be back again before too long.

[Blog]
    [Email]
    Ben Vaughan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I chose the topic, since duddlebug and AndrewLey didn't send me a suggestion (better this way, could have been hard with two winners, hehe)
    ooOops... sorry. I'm kinda new to COW and I didn't realise that i was 'sposed to do that!! This is a fab topic though and i'm hoping i can find a few hours to get something done...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    redehlert: thats brilliant!!! great idea! love the style too. the more traditional media entries always stand out to me... i never really enjoy digitaly painted entries as much. love the little mole guy falling down on the right hand side.

Eriboss. thats looking really good. i love the attitude youv'e captured in the creatures head. look forward to seeing this one develop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cakeypigdog
    redehlert: thats brilliant!!! great idea! love the style too. the more traditional media entries always stand out to me... i never really enjoy digitaly painted entries as much. love the little mole guy falling down on the right hand side.
    Thanks CakeyPD - appreciate the vote of confidence. I plan on doin' er up in color, so I hope you'll still like it when it gets all digital.
    Cheers!
    D

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My submission.
    The Rum'Katar (Hill Stomper in American English) is the king of the massive planes of Reign’ sea. The frontal bones alone weigh 9 tons, and yet this creature can sprint to speeds of 30 M.P.H. (not for long) The Va’Keese insects that make up the planet’s sentient population still hunt these beasts, which despite the advances in weapons tech, are still hard to bring down intact. There is an old legend that explains the name: that when god created Reign’ sea, he realized that the world had too many hills. Rather than fix them himself, he created the Rum’Katar to flatten the hills as well as provide the Va’keese with food and transportation. This legend forms from the unusually aggressive nature that is brought about when one of these creatures is attacked. Hill Stompers, when attacked, will aggressively hunt down the predator. If the massive skull or the fore legs smack the unlucky hunter, the Stomper will rear up and finish the creature in one massive stomp. According to biologists, there is never the need for another stomp to finish the victim.

A step in one drection is two steps from another.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gaireeth The Hill Stomper - by Phil Holland
    "During my travels across Clinso Ridge I came across a somewhat astonishing sight. I found myself at the peak of the mountian staring at what the locals call a 'Gaireeth The God of Hills'. At first I feared greatly that this would be my final sight, however I soon learned that this monster of a creature was friendly. And perhaps a more shocking bit of information was that in fact this giant can communicate in our native tongue. It would appear that he has protected the local villagers for several hundred years. I was fascinated by all of this and decided to see if I could somehow speak to the beast. He briefly in a deep voice explained that he left his home from deep southern hills of Koroj during a war that apparently separated several factions of his people. He spoke of bloodshed and extreme agony, yet Gaireeth has a hopeful twinge in his voice. He says he knows that others survived and one day they will be united. I asked him how he knew of this and he told me 'a little bird told me'."

There's my fantasy jarble. Here's my wip.
    http://www.artbyphil.com/phfx/artwor...mper_steps.jpg

And here's a slightly larger wip with extremely brief explainations of the steps for those interested.
    http://www.artbyphil.com/phfx/artwor...per/index.html

Cheers,

Phil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dourge

Have you seen them? Last known whereabouts of Ionima and Arginald Crig: First Hillocks of Srinagar

3rd Rising, 10th Major Mark of the one hundredth year passing of the P.L.C.E (Post Ludditic Crusadic Era)
    I begin this report with some rather delightful news to the Supreme Ludditian Committee. We have lost but only three Dourge's in the last month with the following associated casualties:
    1)Hibberster Kalwinkles
    2)Ionima Crig (wife of following)
    3)Arginald Crig
    Stibenard Auglend sustained some crushing wounds along his left side...he's alright now.
    This represents a marked decline (calculated by beads and fingers) in the number of deaths and disabilities. Far below last year passing's height of five thousand per week.
    In terms of progress I must also announce that the last of what the fallen elitist intellectual empire called the "Himilayan Range" is no more. A master yardsman has measured it's height (by the only instrument allowed on hand, his thumb of course) to be a mere half a meter above sea level.
    It has taken more than five thousand teams fifty years at the cost of one hundred thousand lives...but this milestone should set a worthy example to all those who dare hold the subversive thought of a world that is not indeed flat.
    I daresay the gall of anyone to hold such a filthy notion. Heresy I say!

Teams have also reported that the 'Alps' are well under control...as are the 'Urals' and we look to the stubborn 'Atlas' range in the coming year.
    Oh the glory of Earth as it was intended by the maker....flat from horizon to horizon. To his glorious intelligent design we commit ourselves.
    Yours,
    Hingbricker Levelspurn
    (Eastern Hemispheric Operations Co-ordinator)

P.s. You may or may not find attached (by sticky resin) a monitary pledge form for the orphaned Crig children. Give generously...so that they too may follow their parent's shining example.

Last edited by Helzon; June 13th, 2005 at 09:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PhilH and Helzon nice!...I dig where both are at (and in Mike's case - where it's goin!)....
    Peace.
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.