Thanks
    Follows
    Following

=== The Official CCAD Thread! ===

Cool alumni's

RELEVANT LINKS

USEFUL INFO from past threads

Quote Originally Posted by McNallyism
    This school has a strong illustration program. If you want to get into any aspect of entertainment art (concept art, animation, storyboards, etc.) take the illustration major. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STAY AWAY FROM THE "MEDIA STUDIES" MAJOR!! No matter how hard they try to seduce you with shiny computers and animation programs, don't give in! The media studies major sucks up all your credits with pointless video and photography courses and has next to no drawing classes (which is sad, considering animation falls under this major). You will be doing yourself a favor by taking the animation and storyboarding courses as electives under the illustration major (which requires a lot more drawing). Any CCAD alumni who has ever actually made it into the industry did this.
    Quote Originally Posted by McNallyism
    In recent years CCAD's president has been trying to shift the school's focus away from illustration/commercial art and more toward fine arts (because we all know making art for money is sinful and is the equivalent of prostitution in the art world). but the major is still alive and kicking, and you'd be hard pressed to find a better, more thorough and life changing foundation studies program anywhere else. If nothing else, go to CCAD for your freshman year then go back to one of those others and lord your vastly improved skills over all the un-reformed masses.
    Quote Originally Posted by theincredibleandy
    I'm a CCAD grad, just popping in. Scheduling isn't really an issue for freshman, since you get put in a scheduling group and have your classes with pretty much the same people all year. With competition, I'll warn you that not all teachers there are created equal. If you can get a 2D class with McKissick, do it! He always calls the BS, and makes you look like an idiot in front of everyone if you're not pushing yourself. Also, Gregg Kumlien is an AWESOME painting teacher (or Anita Dawson). I liked Tam Peterson for Color Concept. You'll figure out who the good teachers are. You might be able to switch before the semester starts.

Last edited by Denart; May 22nd, 2008 at 11:27 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Denart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What is this, the third CCAD thread? Ah, no matter. Awesome all the way. See you guys in august!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there was no cohesive element in those threads. here, I've grouped everything useful into one post now and it can be upated constantly with new info (like famous alumni's!)

are you going to drive to Columbus or fly? Colorado is someway far from Ohio...heheh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CCAD alumni:

-Dean Mitchell (watercolor paintings that sell for up to $50,000)
    -Robert McCall (old school sci-fi artist)
    -Mark Sullivan (Intense mat painter, did mat paintings for every star wars and LotR movie, as well as shrek and a bunch of other stuff. Technically he didn't graduate. He figured he was good enough after 3 years, and he was...)
    -Keron Grant (Comic book artist, drew for Ironman and a bunch of other stuff.)

decent artists I like from CCAD:
    -Tim Bowers (kid's book illustrator)
    -Greg Swearingen (does book covers)

Last edited by theincredibleandy; June 7th, 2005 at 12:14 PM.
    Andrew Murray
    Concept Artist, Tencent Boston
    www.theincredibleandy.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you've made the list BLOOM andy! thanks a lot
    wow, its cool that know Dean Mitchell went to CCAD. I've seen his work years ago in those ARTISTs magazines
    I know 2 Spectrum artists that went, gotta nab my copy and look up their names.

Last edited by Denart; June 7th, 2005 at 01:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been eyeing this thread for a while and have been wanting to post here but am just now finally getting around to it. I graduated from CCAD in 98 and actually went to school with Swearingen and Bawidamann... great bunch of guys. I was in C.F. Paynes class the first two semesters he started teaching there and I couldn't even begin to stress how much more I learned from him than my other classes. I think the reason was that in his class I felt like a fellow illustrator and not just a student. But overall the best advice I could give anybody is be prepared to work your ass off and that you will only get out of it what you put into it. But I guess that could apply to anywhere you go really...

Can anyone tell me if Hazelrig is still teaching any classes there? I miss his advanced 3-d illustration classes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to leckronium For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Denny - your zeal and enthusiasm is always pimp juice.

i have vurry lil time online so i'll answer one question.... HAZELRIG is still there and he's still a DOPE teacher/person.

AND i'll 2nd mcnallyism about media studies, take the choice classes as electives. i dont know what the choices classes are yet, but i'ma find out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by Denart; May 22nd, 2008 at 02:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    denart- i am envious of your zeal it's good to recognize you excitement!
    and man what a thread!.... so your wonna those creative/artist/computer nerd/techy kinda guys hmmmm... (need more people like that in this world)...

it is interesting to hear of all the poeple that went there in the past! and especially awsome the C.F. payne is there (i've been following his stuff for a long time.... i've even bought all the issues of reader's digest just to see his new piece every month and i always hated that lil magazine!)

oh well...peace!

"we are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit"
    -Aristotle

my OLD sketchs urban Exploration SITE!
    my BLOG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Alumni here

I graduated with a B.F.A. in Illustration way back when in '97. It was a really good school when I went, I'm not sure if things have improved more or stayed the same. Their illustration department was great, although I wished C.F. Payne was teaching when I was still attending, I would have loved to have taken his course.
    All in all though it's definantly one of the best art schools in the mid-west. I know when I was a looking into art colleges as a senior in High School, CCAD boasted having the 2nd most demanding homework load next to Princeton. (At least thats what the recruiter said, of course that was ages ago, I'm sure things have changed since.) It was a fun, challenging and rewarding experience that I'll never forget, I loved it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ostrander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gloklund, I asked the CCAD student leader, "What's the 'strongest' major at CCAD and also what major is CCAD most 'well known' for?" and he replied, "uhmm...hmmmm, I would say graphic art and advertising"
    What the heck! What about illustration? What's going on.... Answers please
    (btw, the student leader IS an illustration major)

thanks

Last edited by Denart; May 22nd, 2008 at 02:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure Den, I know when I went there Illustration was strongest so it seemed.
    In all practicality though, the market has changed as far as "illustration" jobs go.
    So I imagine more students are getting in on mastering the graphic design/advertising aspect of the art world for practical reasons. I mean if you look for work on monster and careerbuilder, and search the creative/arts/media, there are far more graphic design jobs needed than illustration. This is just my guess.
    When I graduated, that was the year computers really took off. And at the time I was so far into school it wasn't made a requirement. Needless to say,I didn't have that under my belt before I left, so I had to go back and learn it as well as picking it up on my own. When I went to CCAD I was taking lettering classes that you actually had to draw the letters, using font guides, rulers, triangles, t-square and a steady hand.
    Even having a degree in illustration, I've crossed over to graphic design, which I currently do now. I've freelanced a little on the side here and there but nothing steady enough to really keep me from having to not take a graphic design job.

As far as strong teachers go, and if they are still there. Mark Hazlerig's illustration/3d illustration is an amazing journey. Steve Botts is a great teacher to take, not sure what he's teaching now though, at the time it was illustration courses. I think Stewart McKissick is still there, hes a great teacher.
    Other notable mentions are:
    Walter King
    Dennis Drummond-fantastic figure drawing course
    Benton Mahan
    Lowell Tolstedt
    Ron Tardino
    These are some of the people I was familiar with when I went, I'm sure there are many more that are equally as impressive. But I think these were some of the teachers that really pushed you to do better. Sorry for the long post, it looks more like I gave 10 cents instead of 2. Good Luck.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ostrander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I could swear that I heard Walter King took time off to work on his own things for a while. I could be wrong though. He was a good guy. He's done pretty much everything and could tell you about anything you need to know. He also wasn't afraid to tell you how things really are instead of just patting you on your back and saying "good job", which never helps you grow as an artist. Some of the most rewarding classes are the ones that you have a fear of doing poorly in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i met you at orientation...front desk girl if you remember....you wanted me to post here so i am...I'm currently a CCAD sophomore in illustration (the best field there is!!) I am in Tardino's illustrative drawing class when classes start up again...any thoughts on this anyone?? I've been told to watch for the evil eye.... oh, and Leckronium..Walter King did take a semester off, but he's back for next year because I am in his class...and I'm friends with his son, who said he was back...

Why do I have the feeling you're not just doing that to be cute?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tardino's a good teacher, there are alot of naysayers out there when I went to CCAD but he does have valuable information to share. I was kinda skeptical about him at 1st but it passed. He does get a little quirky with his facial expressions as I remember. King's a really good teacher, hes like the all seeing, all knowing Oracle. He's someone I think everyone needs to take at least once.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's good to hear he's coming back. Take advantage of his knowledge while you can. He has plenty to offer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for all the great info and teachers list Gloklund
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloklund
    In all practicality though, the market has changed as far as "illustration" jobs go. So I imagine more students are getting in on mastering the graphic design/advertising aspect of the art world for practical reasons
    That's true and it does make sense. man, all this digital stuff...bring back good ol' traditional illustrations I say!

Ahh, glad you could make it Ghost of Gilgamesh. when your lame webhost finally gets to making your site available for public viewing, I'll be sure to give it a look

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Gloklund and Leckronium! Makes me feel better about next year!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    back online!

all those teacehrs are stil there except for drummond, he JUST retired, i didnt get a chancee to take his classes i dunno about the tolstedt is there tho.

i took the tardino class last semester. it was dope. he's annoying as hell tho becuase he repeats the same shit over and over again, but he has valuable info and knows what he's talking about. DONT STARE INTO HIS EYES!! they are weird and memorizing, he's like a cartoon character.he may take 2nd semester off for his sabatical tho

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sucks Tardino might be going on sabbatical...I was told if he goes and I get Quillin to drop the class immediately..any thoughts on that?? (I was told this by a Junior...does Quillin even teach Illustrative Drawing?? I can't remember)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i just had quillin for illus methods. he's a good teacehr, grades tough, does alot of demos. BUT i couldn't see him teaching illustrative drawing. if he does teach it, i'd drop that shit too. i'm planning on taking the class 2nd semester. i was talkin with Mr. Tardino before the semester was over and he said that he was tryin to get one o his ex students to teach the class. seriously tho, the only teacher there that i think is remotely familiar whit a "concept art" type class like that is the comic book class teacher, and i'm only sayin that because of his body of work. all the other people do standard spot illus stuff mainly. i dont want tardino to go on sabbatical until after i graduate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wonder if your talking about Joe Corroney, I recently found out Joe was teaching comics there. We went to school around the same time. He's a huge Star Wars geek. He and I took a Sequential art class together taught by Daryl Banks, at the time Daryl was working on Green Lantern, I'm not sure what he's doing now. Daryl's a really cool guy. Half of the time we would talk about video games and anime. Memories.....

Not sure who Quillen is, he's after my time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah the corroney dude. he's cool, i'm in his class next semester. the only reason i figured he's kinda be able to teach that class is becuase he's a star wars geek.

me thinks quillen was there when you went there cuz he had keron grant in his class, and keron graduated in 98 me thinks. quillen is a tall skinny black guy, he's real cool with payne and kovach.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daryl Banks was cool too. He would always have penciled pages of his work to show you or could get copies of penciled artwork from somebody else to show you. Stuff you wouldn't normally get to see. It was even cooler when you saw him at the local comic book convention and everybody would be in line to get stuff signed but you could go up and talk to him like you knew him really well. Fun times...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't wait to take the comic book class...I do some comic stuff of my own for conventions right now, but I want that class sooooo bad....what local comic book convention were you talking about btw, leckronium?? I go to S.P.A.C.E. (I am friends with the people who run it so i get a free table every year), and another one in Novemeber whose name currently escapes me...Must think on it...it's a big one...it's just very near to 4 a.m. and i can't think of it's name.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't want to speak for Leckronium but I think he's referring to the Mid-Ohio-Con. I can't remember when it rolls around, I wanna say in November but I'm sure you can look it up online and it will say.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup, that's what I was talking about. Here's the link for those interested http://www.midohiocon.com/ I haven't been to it in about five years so I'm not sure what it's like now but back then it was fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is one of the colleges im currently lookin at.. will visit this year maybe some of you goin there this coming year can show me around.. it wont be until about sept or oct.... but yea.. this or mica gonna visit both... good luck to you futurestudents

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's the other convention i go to as well (Mid-Ohio Con)...that's the name i couldn't think of... It's great fun now, and it's HUGE!!!! I've got a table this year, everybody come find me! (Or don't, it doesn't matter...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a table? Awesome! What for?

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 11