How to paint a skateboard

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I decided that I do not like my current skateboard graphic, and I should probably be riding around on my own art on general principle... so here is my grand skateboarding experiment!

First make sure you have the proper wrench and screwdriver (or skate tool if you have one) to remove the trucks. Keep track of the screws and nuts - I put mine in a plastic bag to keep them along with the riser pads, so I would not lose them. At this time it is also a great idea to find a drill bit that is the proper diameter to perfectly match the holes in your deck. You do this because paint / varnish will be going in the holes as you paint, so this will allow you to re-drill them when you are finished.

The next stage is essential for getting a nice surface to paint on, but will be a lot of manual labor if you do not have an orbital sander. These little hand sanders take most of the hard work out of getting the original graphic off. Make sure to start with very rough grit sand paper, and work your way down to a finer grit for the smooth finish.

Now that the wood is ready, it is time to prepare it to take paint. Acrylic gesso does a great job, but it took me a number of coats to fully hide the wood grain. Try to follow the grain of the wood with your brush strokes, to keep an even surface texture for painting.

The final part to this step is to sand down the top layer of gesso with a very fine grit sanding block (any sort of manual sanding device will do). Once you have done so, your deck will be beautifully smooth and ready to paint.

Many skateboards have very graphic imagery on them - which consists of solid colors. My graphic will have six colors, so in an effort to keep them consistent, I pre-mixed them before i painted with them. I only mixed one at a time because I used acrylic paint, but made sure to mix more than I thought would be necessary - so that I would not run out before the graphic was complete.

I began with a base coat of grape.

The rest of the painting was relatively straight-forward, but I took special care to work slowly and carefully so i would have clean lines and solid colors. Many of my large areas of color have two to three coats on them - especially the orange which was painted over top of the darker purple colors.

After adding the final lines with a paint marker (acrylic is best, because oil can bleed when you put the finish on), the painting is done! woo!

The next step is to add 5-6 coats of clear varnish to the surface for protective coating. I have been told that a two part "bar-top epoxy" creates an even stronger surface, but the local hardware store did not carry such a product.

Re-drill the holes in the deck if necessary, and reattach the trucks. I changed out my wheels, but that is optional

there you have it, your very own skateboard! ready to ride!

Drawing is fun.

www.mattkohr.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So awsome, love your style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Witht he acrylics you will want to lightly wet sand the surface with a 600+ grit sand paper. Be careful though you don't want to damage the image by going down too far. This will give the clear coat something to hold onto.

There is a polyurethane(sp?) coating for coffee tables, etc that is thick and strong. Home Depot of Lowes should have it. If not a good 5-6 coats of polyurethane(don't just use a varnish) will help protect it.

Unfortunately their isn't a deck paint job out there that will survive daily use.

Good job on the painting and good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's pretty cool, never thought I'd see a "paint your skateboard" tutorial.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nicely done, Me too i found it rather amusing to see it in tutorial form. Good job

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't like purple but that's personal taste no discussion.
    Pretty cool toturial but i would use spraypaint instead of brushing it on the board, it would give you a smoother result and easier to get blur effects

Last edited by Uziel; June 4th, 2005 at 04:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^^i think he was going for hard edges though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^^i think he was going for hard edges though
    Yeah I know, but if he makes a toturial about skateboard painting he should think about different styles too, no?
    I'm just thinking how i would do this and i would use spraycans and tape. Perhaps it's a bit more expensive if you have to buy the paint.

Last edited by Uziel; June 4th, 2005 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Awesome!

Wow, excellent graphic! I'm extremely happy to see a how-to paint a skateboard tutorial, because in all honesty, I've been loooking for one for the past couple of months on and off. I checked out many skateboarding websites (such as Transworld) and even company websites to see if any had content or opinions on how to go about doing it. Looks like I finally have my next new project. Thanks a ton!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you can find an airbrush spraying the acrylic on with a mask would look 100 times better. Also 2 part urethane clear coat would be the high-quality durable coating, just more dangerous to apply.

I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Advice please. =]

I was going to buy blank decks, and paint those. Should I sand the clear gloss coat off first? Should I use spray paint or acrylic? I was thinking of making some sort of stencil out of contact paper. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.