Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.
Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!
I'm working on a low polygon Viking Zombie for a VideoGame Development course I'm taking. My budget is only 500 polys because my teacher decided I needed a good lesson in poly budgeting. SO, here goes!
my intial sketch
my first stat sheet sketch
my revised statsheet sketch (not quite isometric views before).
And, after about 2 hours, here I am at roughly 300 polys. So far I'm in good shape, but I may have to rework some stuff since I want the hands and face to look fairly nice..
any comments and crits are welcome!!
ok, here's some results. I've worked the viking to this point and am at 512 polygons. So far so good. Next up I guess is adding a little bit of armor (my teacher extended my poly budget) and then to texturing!
Hey that's lookin pretty nice so far. What texture size are you using for this? I would smooth the normals on the model, it'll give you a better idea of what the final 'feel' of the model will look like.
Yur teaching needs boxin about the ears.
That drawing is way too nice for a 512 polygon character. Especially since the technology these days for most games easily allows 1000 polygons. In FPS genre anyways.
That would be a very nice enemy in a game if you beefed him up poly wise. Of course, if you are a texture genius you could make it work as is.
Looking forward to next shots.
i love it, could use some more polys though
"But you aint got no legs Lieutenant Dan."
Well, i was gonna toss in some more polys, but just to see if i can keep it as close to the 500 poly budget as possible I'm gonna try and keep it as is. Here's my beginings of the texturing, things are still...really pieced here and there.
thanks for all the comments guys!
If your teacher was really a stickler, s/he'd limit your texture map to 128x128 at 8 bit
The first game I worked on we were limited to 4 bit textures at 64x64. I think we had a practical limit of 32 textures, most likely less, as the player model took up most of the texture budget.
granted, this was for the original playstation....
jeepers! man.... well our teacher has really gone in depth about textures or anything, so as of right now I'm kinda diving into texture painting headfirst, and am making plenty of mistakes along the way. The main thing I'm noticing is that since I didn't paint the textures all together, the seams look bizzarre/rigid when I test UVmap them... I dunno if I'll have time to fix this, but hey, I'm learning. Thanks for the war story though, I love hearing about this stuff.
Well Poopinmymouth has arrived to bless this thread with his presence. Just kidding joe, this is looking good, although I think I would shoot myself if I had a 500 poly limit on a character. you need that many just for the head alone! . Glad to see you knockin out some models finally. The texture is coming along nicely I didnt notice it was you posting, until I saw the texture, and then I was like "bingo, thats joe's texture work" heheh, has a very distinct style. Question about it though, is the head texture in proportion size wise to the body texture? right now it looks like a 1024x1024 map for body and a 128x128 for head, and no offense, but the skull texture kind of looks like you (reminds me of you when i look at it anyway) Keep up the good work, glad to see James commenting on this post as well, he is a fellow student with me at SCAD. all and all, I like how this is going, although i still say 500 is waaaaaaaaaaaaay to low.
you should post the model with the textures on it
Wow man, that texture is looking really awesome! You should definately show us what it looks like on the model!
Thats some nice painting man, I know you said that you're teacher hasn't gotten into the specifics of textures, as far as technicality goes. I dunno if that is your exact UV placement, if not please disregard this: In the future always make your UV's the largest for the most improtant object on the character. If you look at your UV's the head is very small, and this is somthing that is going to be seen most of the time, by making the scale of the UV's larger the resolution will be better. I hope that makes sense, kinda hard to explain.
great work though...post the model with the textures applied
Well, here's some shots of the on the model. These were just test renders, I still have a looong way to go. It's going slow since I'm juggling a few different projects for different classes, but let me know what you guys think
colors not spooky, seems like a fashion zombie.
Been watching progress with great interest.
Sorry about the long long delay again guys, I've been out of town and haven't been able to post this the past two weeks. Here's the finished Zombie.
I alrealdy realize the problems I'd run into with animating this sucker, but otherwise I'm happy with this, since it's my first try.
Here's what I know I need to improve:
I need to figure out how to manage my polys better for rigging
I need to manage my texture sizes/depths better
I need to learn how to rig and pose him a little better.
Any other crits/comments are welcome, thanks for all your support guys!