Do your worst

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Do your worst

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Do your worst

This is pretty much finished without the text and some effects. It's a show flier, I posted here because this isn't a professional piece, it's just something I did for a friend. It's all ready and printed, but if anyone has any words of advice to offer, I'll keep them in mind for next time, or maybe make some changes and use this for something else.

(the band was playing at a place called pirates' cove; hence the pirate theme).

Do your worst

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMGWTF lens flare!!!11!1one1

i see what you wanted to do with it, and i heard your explanation in irc, but i feel obligated to restate: don't use lensflare. it didn't do what you wanted it to.

the pirate theme is barely there. in the future, if you're going to have a theme, stick to it and push it.

the front figure's face has some readability issues. the back figure has a few anatomical issues with the legs as well.

it's not terrible, but it looks like you could do a lot better.

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't read why you did what you did, but I gotta agree, never use obvious lens flares! It was the first thing to burn my eyes, and it made it hard to then pull away and look at the rest of the drawing, which is really, REALLY cool!

I like the bubbles, the facial expression, and especially the seaweed hair. It almost gives the impression of moving, it's so well done. The only anatomical issue I have is that one foot is bigger than the other on the skeleton.

As for the Pirate theme being weak, I disagree. I like it because it doesn't jump up and scream "HAAARRRR!" It's Pirate, but it's subtle. That makes it better in my book.

Other than the Dreaded Lens Flare, this is a great little piece. Well done!

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do think the theme was as pushed as I wanted it to be, there have just been so many pirate things in the media lately, I didn't want it to look like I just ripped it off the thousands of pirate-fanboys websites floating around; and the only way I could really do that was to make the fact that they're pirates somewhat subtle. I think I should've posted it with the text, the fact that the caption reads "Pirates' Cove" kinda triggers the viewer into noticing the pirate articles.

As for everything else, I humbly accept you crit. The anatomy is off, a lot of things get lost because of the messy ink work, there are a lot of thigns amiss. I was at a drawing marathon when I did the undersketch for this, so I had models in front of me and I although they weren't in the exact pose i needed them to be in, I tried to gather the information I got from the numerous poses they did make and arrange it in the way I needed it; after years of anatomy classes and hundreds of figure drawings you'd think i'd be able to do that, but apparently not. What the hell is my problem? Am I trying to hard or not hard enough? Or should I just give up?

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, heavens, no! I sincerely hope you are joking.

Other than the foot, which should have been caught, but is not that big a deal, the piece is wonderful. It captures a "feel" for the characters, anatomy and shadow roughness aside. Keep on keepin' on. What else would you do with your life that challenged you as much in such a personal way?

Just step away from the piece occasionally, and look at it from 5 feet away, or 10 feet away, just to change your perspective. You'll be surprised what a little distance can do for your "artist's eye!"

Personally, I wish you would continue to develop this piece, and make it a true finished work. Although charming in its roughness, finished would be a great illustration piece...

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finaly right use of lens flare:0

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.