Sketchbook: Davey Jones' Locker
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Davey Jones' Locker

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Davey Jones' Locker

-Hiya....

Like so many others this site is a source of inspiration. And, to be honest, a source of FRUSTRATION when I look at how skilled so many people are!

But I've decided to take action and post my sketchs and paintings up to date, and most importantly, use this Thread as a inspiration to myself and possibly others. I'm hoping it will give me the oomph I need to keep producing art consistantly.

I'd like to get more involved with discussion and feedback so if any of you have the slightest comment, please post it. It'll help me improve and maybe I can become a familiar face around here.

Anyways, less talk. More rock. I'm posting a bunch of my older stuff. Reason being because it may serve as a good refrence to mark improvements as I continue.
    I'll do a second post with stuff I've done within the last year or so.

There's actually a few in here that I did last year I think. Ah.... time flies

OKAY KIDDIES, welcome to DAVEY JONES' LOCKER!!

I was pleased with this. Didn't quite finish the details on everything. But still, I learned alot with Painter and I was able to execute some stuff I learned.

Here's the lineart. I started with the Mech and my brain just kept adding and adding until there was a street battle. It's great to get carried away with your drawings, not sure where they'll end up.

These were done as I was learning Painter. I love that program, just haven't had enough time to really get it down.

The top guy is some WWI captain, I used ref for the guns, just had fun with it.

There was a Diablo 2 fan art competition a while back and I did this for it. Slipped past the deadline, but it was fun to paint. Brought back alot of memories of heading out from the Pandamonium Fortress... In Nightmare difficulty no less!

I did this a year ago. Really liked it. It's calling out to me to color it in. So that's on my list of things to do. I'll hopefully do it and post it soon.

No ref, but inspired by Capcom's awesome art style

Here's some older stuff....

Oh look! A Birdie!! Pretty bird..... Pretty bird.... (Used Ref)

another one. (From Ref)

I thought I'd throw this in, mainly because I like the way the snake turned out. That knight's in bad shape though, poorly drawn and being attacked by a level 22 pit viper!

Here's a castle I want to live in but nobody's built it yet

Here's the Shack where I'll probably end up living in...

I was doing these while dreaming of being a ninja

Okay, there's the beginning. I'll have more for ya soon. My computer says it's 12:00am on the dime so it's probably a good time to hit the sack. Gotta be up early to build Web Pages!

Last edited by Davey Jones; June 6th, 2005 at 08:47 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    refrain from da shame davey!

i know it's tempting, but if you aren't getting comments, don't fret just keep working and that way you'll have a reason to post... you also may wanna try looking around at other sketchbooks and doing some crits for others, with the whole golden rule and etc.

as far as crits though:

I'd say you're life and ref drawings are spot on, (bird) but you're not quite ready to make the leap to drawing out of your head. I know it's tempting, and i attempt it everyday, but it's really not working out for me, so i continue with my figure studies, it takes a great deal of understanding to be able to create a figure from nothing but the knowledge inside your skull, and while frusterating and painstaking, it's definately worth it as you can probably tell from some of the immense talent on these boards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ---Gregory, Yep using ref. Is something I'd like to expand on. I wouldn't do that 100% though. It's good to use the ol' noodle and mix it up. What I'd like to do is work on my life drawing skills. So the ref will come in very useful for that. Thanks for posting!

Okay, here's some more stuff. I just gave my scanner a bit of a workout!
    poor little guy....

Here's some sketches... Pretty loose, but fun

These were concept sketches for an animated short I did for college. The premise was a giant bunny was guarding a treasure chest instead of the dragon. Kinda a spoof.

There you go, these were done a while back. I'll have the new stuff soon.

See ya Tomorrow!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy Weekend!

Here's some more stuff. Hey, if anyone knows some cool tricks to throw in a nice textured background for sketches to make em look like they're on some old-style paper, drop me a line. I've seen some really cool presentation of sketches in this forum. Makes the whole package more appealing.

Anyways, got some more goodies....

Good ol' Loomis... Actually, that reminds me I should revisit his stuff.
    Work on figures. I'd like to use him for ref. And change the angles and present a variation of the drawings he does. Hmmmmm, and that to my 'to draw' list

These cracked me up. I love the hefty lady.

Used ref. Tried to isolate the shadows to get an idea of how they fit in across his face. You can do a simliar thing in Photoshop if you use the Posterize filter. It helps see the main values a bit more clearly if you were looking to use a photo for reference.

Alright. More coming soon.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice study of the torso - very manly . I also like the study of different body types. Very few people do that, they tend to stick with the ultra sexy. Your drawings from ref are very nice, but whenever possible, draw from life. I know, life has the distressing tendacy to move on ya, but it'll help with gestures and movement, and give your 'straight from the 'ol noodle' drawings more punch. Keep it up, look forward to seeing more!
    P.S., LOVE the title of this thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Teigrob: Thanks for the post. Yeah, the thread title worked pretty well
    You're right about drawing from life. I have virtually no experience doing it. Especially with figure studies. I've done alot of architecture and still life, but it's another thing to do peeps.

Speaking of real life drawings.... Here are some sketches I did while travelling in Europe two summers ago.

I'll post more tomorrow.
    Enjoy the last moments of weekend before we all head back to the grind!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made it through a good Monday, If anyone knows of some good tutorials on CSS lemme know. My boss has had me learn as much Dreamweaver and CSS as I can over the last month. It's been a brain-buster. Picking it up though...
    Zen Garden's got some pretty impressive stuff. from a design and art perspective especially.

But enough of that, onto the art!

I started out drawing the face from a lower perspective and it grew into an interesting piece.

Alright, that'll do for today. Did these last fall. Getting closer to the present. That means I'll have to start creating new stuff to post! Heh, a bit of pressure can be good motivation.
    Kinda funny because this thread is getting buried amidst all the other sketchbooks. But even at this point it's useful because it's kept me thinking and focused on art. So it's a benefit.

Well to those who have stumbled over this, thanks for looking-

Toodles!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey Davey,

I admire your work, it's very imaginative. Most seems to have a story behind them, I guess that's a good thing. I do feel you do lack some technical skills here and there but surely you will move along quickly. The landscape sketches look extra good. Look forward to more.

As for CSS, have you tried sitepoint.com? it's a good place to start. I had searched for css stuff for a while but always end up back at sitepoint.com for the right directions. For quick references google seems to do the job well.

Min

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Dig those architectural sketches! And that boat - really nice. The humans are coming along too - watch the shoulder blades on the gal sitting on the bench, though, you cut them off too soon. Remember, the blades are triangles, not rectangles. Nice hand study - hand and feet studies are ALWAYS good! And ears. How come nobody ever does ear studies? Those buggers are the hardest things to draw after hands, I swear... Keep it up - Like to see more architecture!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Bumskee: Thanks for the comments, do you mind pointing out any technical areas I could practice on? Anatomy is something, but I'm sure there's more, just wondering where you picked up the flaws. Oh! And I checked out sitepoint.com at work today. Bookmarked it. So thanks for that too-

-Teigrob: Yeah... Ears! I'll have to have a go at them sometime. I never really have a problem with them because I don't render my views close enough to really have to give detail. And of course, we can always draw people with long hair... cover 'em up.... naw, that doesn't help anything.
    Glad you liked the architecture. I really like to draw stuff like that. I'll have to go around town and get some more. Won't be as extravagant, but hopefully interesting.

Well.... Here's some more. I think this may be it. Then it's onto new stuff.
    Oh wait... I've got some great examples of Anime Angst for ya.

The first two were inspired from a Manga ref. The third is my own. So... Much.... Anger!

But enough of that... onto something lighter... happy.... like a TANK.

Did the inking here and there while I was travelling, hence the ballpoint pen on the foreground dude, and the less-than-perfect lines on the tank. But.. I was thinking about painting this someday so it's a fine refrence and will be more than ample to paint over.

Will have more tomorrow~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awsome stuff. Would like to see more. Your landscapes are really good. I would just say work on your characters a bit more. Really like the first pic. Keep em coming. I will return.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey Davey, glad sitepoint.com helped out.

As for technical areas, anatomy is probably one of the major flaws or area you can improve on. Bah I think we all keep a huge "things to do list". I only recently realised how shocking I am at perspective, I see you have a better understanding than I do. The last drawing is very well done. I just went through your drawing again and really like the boat and the girl sitting on the bench. very nicely done.

I meant to say your have a creative mind, you just need some catching up to do with technical skills. So I guess study and practice would be the right thing to say. look forward to seeing more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Landscapes are very strong, I like the scenes of the asian village(?) the best. Anatomy could also use work. I'd say the color pieces have the most issues.
    It doesn't seem that you've tackled values very much. But I can see you are having alot of fun, so I won't nag too much =P Good job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first illustration and your landscapes are really strong. I could tell that your figures were strengthing as i went further down the page. Keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -I'm at work right now. Just a lull in the action before heading off to a client meeting. Ah, fast times in the Web industry! Hah.

Thanks for the responses! Here's some replies:

-Masayasu: Cool, glad you dig the landscapes. Funny that alot of people are commenting on them, never figured myself for a landscape man. But looking at them, I can see how they draw from my stong traits. Yep. working on the character/figure anatomy is where I've gotta focus. Look forward to hearing from you again when you return.

-Bumskee: Yep, haven't done hardly any anatomy studies. So, you're def. right about that. Study and Practice sound like a plan. Thanks for your posts!

-Dan1989: Also just starting out with colors in painting. I'm really familiar with doing greyscale stuff, but shifting to full color is a challenge. The mech on top I thought turned out decently. A marked improvement over the other two at least. But I still have a ways to go! Kind of a matter of figuring where to focus my efforts. BTW, your thread's latest is pretty sweet. And if you're only still in high school, that's some quality work. All that study will pay off. Hah! I should listen to myself. I hardly do any studies....

-Smitherines: Great, I'm glad to hear it's looking like improvement. Thanks!

I'll post some more stuff tonight when I get home.

Last edited by Davey Jones; June 9th, 2005 at 02:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Wow... gotta get into bed soon. Sooo... Tired......

here's some more for you to check out-

I think it would have looked better had I stopped inking half-way through. It was pretty sweet then, but I've chickened out so many times on experimenting I decided to just go for it. It turned out looking pretty good, but I really benefited from the practice, so it was well worth it. I know he looks kinda stiff, I was running out of page space. Anyways, he's a happy little elf who's about to stick his finger in a electrical socket.... !!!!

This was a quick one. I was really excited for Pirates to come out... Ahoy!!! Beat the whole game on rouge difficulty! Heh heh. I'm the carribean's greatest lover!

Just a dude on skis lookin' for peeps to shoot at....

Experimented with heavy inking on this too.. A bit rough, but interesting

Alright, thus ends my sketches... Now it's time for new stuff. Not sure how fast I'll be able to produce, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all the comments, it really encourages me to keep creating!

time for bed.... Good Night!

Last edited by Davey Jones; June 9th, 2005 at 08:59 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like the dude on skies! Really nice line quality, and the bag and gun are very well done. The right wrist is a little wonky, and you should do more cloth studies, but other than that, it's very nice. Yah, the others had a little TOO much inking going on, but, as you were experimenting, that's okay. You never know how far is too far until you try.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice drawings, a little choppy, but very interesting to look at. I like how you use alot of detail in your backrounds and your characters. By the way, which side was that WWI captain on? It doesn't look like any uniform from that era, might wanna look into that (altought that was just fer fun so whatever).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff here. i like tht one with the tank and the guy walking. the expresion on the guys face is awsome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the posts guys!

-Teigrob: yep... cloth studies.... (adds to 'to-do' list)

-Quinster: Yeah, the WW1 guy wasn't from anything, just outta my head. I wasn't actually going for WW1 authenticity, Buuuttt.... I'll just pretend he was the only Greenlander to fight in the war. Yessir, and that's why there's no documentation of that uniform. Because it was only for one man....
    What? You say I'm lying?....

-Cthomp: I like your avatar, thanks for your post! Glad you like it

Here's a fast one I did in Photoshop last weekend... Messing around with colors and brushes

K, I'm all caught up on stuff. We'll see how soon I'll be able to make some spiffy new stuff....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No crits on the more polished work excellent, well maybe a little more cleaning/rendering/depth to em but they are all very good paritcularly the tank and head chop (would like to see more like these two. Good structure to things. Perhaps more work on dynamic poses as well as on the proportions of the rougher stuff. Sup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Hope everyone's having a good weekend!

I wanted to put these pics up, it's a sample from a Children's Book I did. It was 62 pages long and has an illustration each page. I'm posting three of them and the book cover. I did all the page layout and took it to Kinkos and self-published it. The kids seem to like it so that's good, but finding a real publisher is one of those things.... Still, it was a great project to do.

This is Calvin, he's sleepy because he stayed up too late watching cartoons!

....Calvin and his blob friend Sid, getting dragged off by their captors....

The evil Glog and his cronie gloating over their giant vaporizing lazer!!

The book cover, a nice Glam-Shot of Calvin

Have a good evening!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.