Sketchbook: Styler's thread. - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Styler's thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookin good! The life drawings: big thumbs up, those are crucial to do. Keep on going!

The advantage of being a beginner is having a much greater amount of teachers.
    Sketchbook?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    threeyesworm: yea your right I did rush a bit and I need to study perspective. I will work on my line quality. This does help. Thanks

Dreckster: That's true, I shouldn't be doing digital yet. I will slow down...quick speed is destorying alot of my work. Thanks

Mindflaw: thanks

emmdoubleew: Yea i'll definetly keep up the life drawings. Thanks.

(Just some daily news of my life...not terribly important)

Today an artist (who is also my martial arts instructor) visited my 4th hour sculpturing class and talked to us about how he does his thing. He is sculpting a monster from resident evil 4 for capcom (one of the bosses I think). He has made alot of bobble heads. Every character from napoleon dynamite...terminator...jason...freddy. I was intrigued...it was some inspring stuff. I dunno...it was kindof of a wierd feeling inside...not bad...but interesting feeling when the guy that taught you how to tear someone into pieces with a staff is then teaching your class at school sculpting methods. It was pretty tight I thought.

the closest self portait i've gotten so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you ever stop drawing i will personally come to your house and beat the shit out of you.

seriously.

keep up the good work though. it was fun walking through with you what you are doing to learn to do something better. its something we dont see in ourselves usually. these people here in ca.org arent usually asskissers so you can take what they are saying about your work seriously most of the time.

another thing you might want to consider doing (and i should start doing it as well-.-) is to go through some of the other sections of the forums here and if there is anything that you see that someone draws/paints/sculpts/gives-birth-to that looks wrong, say something.

its hard to critique yourself, but its good practice critiqing others.

My Sketchbook

the world is a diaper; let someone else change it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start with the self portrait.. the lines are really kinda heavy and perhaps what would help would be planning out the face and lining the eyes nose and mouth up by using some light guildlines. Hope that helps! Keep drawing I can see your progress is going along nicely ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something is definitely to be said about determination, great progress. You have a lot of great advice in here, so I hope to add something that you haven't heard yet. I agree with using a pen to gain confidence in your lines, and a gel pen is certainly best for that, but I actually like the cheap bic's better for some things, I think you can get a better value range out of them.
    One thing I got from my drawing class that I think might help is: doing a bunch of "blind contour" drawings, they are tedious and look horrible, especially at first, but they pay off in the end.
    Just in case you haven't heard of the "blind contour": they can be anything you have sitting in-front of you, you probably will want to use pen or a marker, then focus in on the edges/lines of your subject, go really slow and draw as your eyes are moving along the edges, but don't look at your paper, and don't lift your pen otherwise you are cheating yourself. It sucks, but it helps you see things as they are, and not as you think they are.
    Keep going!!!

LINK--Sketches

LINK--Site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!
    I think I can't say anything, that hasn't been said here. Just one thing can't be said often enough: DRAW! Draw whenever you've got the possibility to do so! Draw! Draw! Draw! And THINK when you're drawing. Don't just draw the lines you're seeing, draw the volumes that are there. Try to "see 3d"... don't really know how to explain...
    Draw and think about what you're drawing...

My Sketchbook

My current areas of interest: Linework, Composition, Visual Library

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey, why do i always seem to post after embee? Or is it just me?

Well, with that self portrait, looks interesting to crit about. Can i just ask, do you draw very quickly? Because with the face, it seems like you have tried to make it as good as possible. But with the clothing, it looks like you have just given up. You should SLOW down, sorry about the mean crit but i wanna be honest with everyone

Try to slow down and you will be the next master!

Laterz, Qxzi 8)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the self-portrait, be more aware of the toning of your lines. The tone of your eyes, nose and mouth are all the same. That's not how it is realistically. Look at a picture or look at someone and notice what lines are darder than others. For example, you should notice that, for majority of the time, unless the person has not slept for a week or is on cocaine, the upper eyelid lines are usually darker than the lower eyelids. The mouth is also not one straight line. It curves here and there, dips here and there.

Always be thinking when you draw.

Read comics at:
    ANATTA, My webcomic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it up styler! Try to think of the form in 3d instead of 2d, think of your lines as if they were the edge of a mass that has volume, not the outline of a 2d shape. Try to "feel" what you are drawing (sounds kinda crazy, but you just gotta try). Think of what you draw as if they are objects in a 3d space. Studying perspective can help to this.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haribubba: lol I'm never going to stop drawing. it's fun! Thanks I i'll try that.

Jworion: that sounds like a good idea...thanks

Grom: I know what your saying...i've been slacking off about blind contour...i'll do some but I'm not posting them lol. thanks

embee: alright, i'll do my best. Thanks

Qxzi: you are right...I just kinda scribbled that sucker down thinking that it would magically look awesome...I"ll do my best to slow down if my target isn't going anywhere. Thanks

ThreEyesWorm: I understand...I never realized some of those things. I'll start thinking more when I draw thanks.

Broken Spirit: People keep telling me to draw what my eyes feel! lol...I'll try to do that. I think beginning to understand what it means. Thanks

Can't wait till winterbreak! going to draw my ass off...hoping to make some improvements. I'll study perspective more in depth and put into practice stuff that i've learned to make sure that I don't forget. I guess if do all i can come back to my thread and read again.

another shot at a self portrait trying to implement the critques I got. I recognize myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good update here. I like the way you set targets. Not to forget stuff and things like that. Good idea to do more of perspective, instead of going back to the stuff you have done already. I suggest that you go back to the stuff you felt you were bad at. Say you practised drawings ears a couple of months ago. And you were terrible at it. I would suggest that you would go back to that instead of the whole face, but that was just and example, get my drift?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heeey. That's great improvement from your previous attempt! Good job. However, I don't want you to fall into the hesitation trap. What I mean is don't draw the lines SO carefully because you are afraid of making a mistake that you are almost afraid of the line. Don't let the line control you. You should control the line. You should have the confidence to go extremely dark when you want to and go extremely light when you want. I am saying this because I see that the strength you are putting in on the new attempt is much less than the old one. Use the same strength, but just control it. Use it in the right situations.

Read comics at:
    ANATTA, My webcomic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Qxzi: Focus on my weaknesses, that's a good idea..thanks

ThreeEyesWorm: alright, i'll take control of the pen and use strength the best I can. thanks

a piece done for school...was to big to scan so I took a digital shot

this is a scratchboard i'm working on for school

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The scratchboard thing is awesome... good job studying the ears... work on rendering some more though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good updates styler,

Like the scratchboard drawing as well, nice. The ears look good too, draw some more. But you could work on your shading a little bit more. Can i ask, how much time did you spend on the ear studies?

Il be back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jworion: I'll do that. Thanks

Qxzi: I the ear studies took maybe 5 or 10 minutes per page i'm not completely sure.

damn my scanner wasn't big enough

black crayon

blue crayon

some more blue crayon

Last edited by styler; December 18th, 2005 at 05:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey
    I like the progress that u allready made so far keep it up!

Take ur time and think while drawin, think about ur lines before u draw em ( direction thikness). At the moment ur shadin is very raw not because ur doin that much wrong but because of ur messy lines.

Id also suggest going back to some simple geometric shape study's basically the same that i mentioned in another sb already.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

whats happened dude, i thought you would slow down like i said Like I and dreckster said, u gotta slow down and think about about your lines. I want to be completly honest with you here, but what the hell is the point of drawing if your going to rush it. Sorry it have was harsh or anything, but its gotta get it into your brain! Right, the next you do a drawing i want you to spend at least 25 mins on it. Got it soldier?

So slow down and keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dreckster: Thanks...I'll try some basic geometry studies and i'll slow down. I'll try to think more when i'm drawing. Thanks

Qxzi: alright i'll slow down. I'm getting the message lol. That's not harsh, don't worry about it. I think harsh would be something like "why did you post that shit? it sucks....you suck...your not allowed to post anymore. Just stop drawing...stop trying you'll never get it your too dumb." Lol. I spent more than 25 minutes all of these. But yea just continue being honest (I will) because just like you I wish to improve as quickly as I can. Thanks

sp

for the dsg

finished scratchboard for school

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, sorry I haven't been posting lately. What media did you use for the first of the last two sketches? I am glad to see more variation in your lines. However, another aspect you should be aware of is the flow of your lines. I notice that for majority of the shading on the first picture is horizontal. Try some variations other than horizontal because it really flattens out the picture.

Read comics at:
    ANATTA, My webcomic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no problem. I used graphite. Alright i'll put more variations into my lines. Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like that last scratchboard. Good aspects of negative space. Keep it up

"Every artist was first an amateur."
    ||===Proud Member of SSG #8===||
    BrentM | Frank the ninja | Flaskpost | MonkeyLizard | Blahm | Proetus | bullfrog | Algebra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, you're doing great, keep your pencil sharped and keep drawing, page after page.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BrentM: thanks!

Diego: will do! Thanks!

my granny. rescan with a few touch ups. Still debating whether to call it complete.

mazda miata mx5 i'm working on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats better,

I can see your slowing down

The ears studies look great, good pencil control. The manikin looks good as a figure, but the shading looks a little wrong. Remember, from dark to light, or the other way round. The shading on "granny's" face looks good. But the hair
    looks a bit like a bush , neaten the right side. The car looks very good though!

Keep it up man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'll fix my grandma's hair a bit. Thanks

another sp...with some ....modifications

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Merry Christmas Styler!!!!

Woohoo!!!!

Henoch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks! you too!

some stuff for a contest.

the fan is from life

the chair is from life

my hat

one of my friends

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good to se ur still workin hard. keep it up like that and u will have no problems later on.

one thing i noticed is that u do construction lines on ur drawins (faces for example) however sometime u dun stick to em or simple fail to draw a straight line therefor u end up with funny eyes etc.
    Somethin i do regulary and trust me it realy feels funny if u start doin it is i grap a paper or my wacom and make sheeds full of line practise. Do that the ability to draw straight lines circles or waht ever is mostly training. So train ur hand.

The thing about the basic 3-d object studies was that i can tell from ur drawins that u lack the ability to render 3d forms on paper. Why? i don't know but i know for sure that takin ur time to draw a cube will help u alot to understand light and form. It might sound borring again but untill u can't nail a cube it makes no sence to "do" a ps joypat.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.