Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Styler's thread.

Thanks
    Hey fellow SSG Niner!

You make me feel so guilty of not drawing. >< Keep it up! (Or don't and make me feel less guilty )

The last picture is my favorite. Very stylish.

Few critiques:
    Have you learned perspective and vanishing points yet? I find them useful in planning and laying out the environment. It also conveys depth easier. I find that the depth in your environments aren't very convincing.

Beware of your lines. Line quality is extremely important. It isn't just about the correct placement of the lines but also how the lines themself compose the image. This is especially true when it comes to shading. I think shading is all about the subtlies of line quality. It's also something I need to work on.

Hope that helps.
    Read comics at:
    ANATTA, My webcomic!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    first of i think it's realy nice to see how much is going on in ur sketchbook, keep going on.

Some tips that might help are, first of all alot of ur lines and shadin look realy rushed. It's not only the number of drawin that will help u become a better artist, think more when u draw try to get controle over ur lines. Be aware this part can be very frustratin but it's truely rewardin on the long run.
    Something that i would realy recommend to u eventhough it might sound silly is that do some line practise everyday. So take a paper and draw circles straighlines curves etc. u need to train ur hand in order to make nice drawins.
    My last point would be that i think it is to early to pick up digital media yet, try to get into ur pencils first.

Hope it maked sense to u, and plz make sure to keep workin on ur drawins.

Thanks
    you keep improving and that's a good thing

keep going strong
    My sketchbook flawed to the max page 5
    Ps:Hope you understand my English.
    Remember my advices taste best with a grain of salt.

Thanks
    Lookin good! The life drawings: big thumbs up, those are crucial to do. Keep on going!
    The advantage of being a beginner is having a much greater amount of teachers.
    Sketchbook?

Thanks
    threeyesworm: yea your right I did rush a bit and I need to study perspective. I will work on my line quality. This does help. Thanks

Dreckster: That's true, I shouldn't be doing digital yet. I will slow down...quick speed is destorying alot of my work. Thanks

Mindflaw: thanks

emmdoubleew: Yea i'll definetly keep up the life drawings. Thanks.

(Just some daily news of my life...not terribly important)

Today an artist (who is also my martial arts instructor) visited my 4th hour sculpturing class and talked to us about how he does his thing. He is sculpting a monster from resident evil 4 for capcom (one of the bosses I think). He has made alot of bobble heads. Every character from napoleon dynamite...terminator...jason...freddy. I was intrigued...it was some inspring stuff. I dunno...it was kindof of a wierd feeling inside...not bad...but interesting feeling when the guy that taught you how to tear someone into pieces with a staff is then teaching your class at school sculpting methods. It was pretty tight I thought.

Styler's thread.
    the closest self portait i've gotten so far.

Thanks
    if you ever stop drawing i will personally come to your house and beat the shit out of you.

seriously.

keep up the good work though. it was fun walking through with you what you are doing to learn to do something better. its something we dont see in ourselves usually. these people here in ca.org arent usually asskissers so you can take what they are saying about your work seriously most of the time.

another thing you might want to consider doing (and i should start doing it as well-.-) is to go through some of the other sections of the forums here and if there is anything that you see that someone draws/paints/sculpts/gives-birth-to that looks wrong, say something.

its hard to critique yourself, but its good practice critiqing others.
    My Sketchbook

the world is a diaper; let someone else change it.

Thanks
    Good start with the self portrait.. the lines are really kinda heavy and perhaps what would help would be planning out the face and lining the eyes nose and mouth up by using some light guildlines. Hope that helps! Keep drawing I can see your progress is going along nicely ^_^

Thanks
    Something is definitely to be said about determination, great progress. You have a lot of great advice in here, so I hope to add something that you haven't heard yet. I agree with using a pen to gain confidence in your lines, and a gel pen is certainly best for that, but I actually like the cheap bic's better for some things, I think you can get a better value range out of them.
    One thing I got from my drawing class that I think might help is: doing a bunch of "blind contour" drawings, they are tedious and look horrible, especially at first, but they pay off in the end.
    Just in case you haven't heard of the "blind contour": they can be anything you have sitting in-front of you, you probably will want to use pen or a marker, then focus in on the edges/lines of your subject, go really slow and draw as your eyes are moving along the edges, but don't look at your paper, and don't lift your pen otherwise you are cheating yourself. It sucks, but it helps you see things as they are, and not as you think they are.
    Keep going!!!
    LINK--Sketches

LINK--Site

Thanks
    Hi!
    I think I can't say anything, that hasn't been said here. Just one thing can't be said often enough: DRAW! Draw whenever you've got the possibility to do so! Draw! Draw! Draw! And THINK when you're drawing. Don't just draw the lines you're seeing, draw the volumes that are there. Try to "see 3d"... don't really know how to explain...
    Draw and think about what you're drawing...
    My Sketchbook

My current areas of interest: Linework, Composition, Visual Library

Thanks
    Hey hey, why do i always seem to post after embee? Or is it just me?

Well, with that self portrait, looks interesting to crit about. Can i just ask, do you draw very quickly? Because with the face, it seems like you have tried to make it as good as possible. But with the clothing, it looks like you have just given up. You should SLOW down, sorry about the mean crit but i wanna be honest with everyone

Try to slow down and you will be the next master!

Laterz, Qxzi 8)

Thanks
    For the self-portrait, be more aware of the toning of your lines. The tone of your eyes, nose and mouth are all the same. That's not how it is realistically. Look at a picture or look at someone and notice what lines are darder than others. For example, you should notice that, for majority of the time, unless the person has not slept for a week or is on cocaine, the upper eyelid lines are usually darker than the lower eyelids. The mouth is also not one straight line. It curves here and there, dips here and there.

Always be thinking when you draw.
    Read comics at:
    ANATTA, My webcomic!

Thanks
    Keep it up styler! Try to think of the form in 3d instead of 2d, think of your lines as if they were the edge of a mass that has volume, not the outline of a 2d shape. Try to "feel" what you are drawing (sounds kinda crazy, but you just gotta try). Think of what you draw as if they are objects in a 3d space. Studying perspective can help to this.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Haribubba: lol I'm never going to stop drawing. it's fun! Thanks I i'll try that.

Jworion: that sounds like a good idea...thanks

Grom: I know what your saying...i've been slacking off about blind contour...i'll do some but I'm not posting them lol. thanks

embee: alright, i'll do my best. Thanks

Qxzi: you are right...I just kinda scribbled that sucker down thinking that it would magically look awesome...I"ll do my best to slow down if my target isn't going anywhere. Thanks

ThreEyesWorm: I understand...I never realized some of those things. I'll start thinking more when I draw thanks.

Broken Spirit: People keep telling me to draw what my eyes feel! lol...I'll try to do that. I think beginning to understand what it means. Thanks

Can't wait till winterbreak! going to draw my ass off...hoping to make some improvements. I'll study perspective more in depth and put into practice stuff that i've learned to make sure that I don't forget. I guess if do all i can come back to my thread and read again.

Styler's thread.
    Styler's thread.
    another shot at a self portrait trying to implement the critques I got. I recognize myself.

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast