Sketches in school
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Sketches in school

These are some pictures I drew on history lesson. I guess reading about the renaissance is really boring. I used a 0.5mm mechanical pencil (B or H, can't remember) on normal printing paper. I really hate my printer.

This guy just discovered his mullet. The horror!

One of the few pictures of more or less proportionally correct people that I'm actually happy with.

What do you think?

More to come soon...

Last edited by Serpian; May 31st, 2005 at 04:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In regard to proper proportions, it's important to note where elements lay in comaparison to other elements. For instance, were his fingers to be extended, they would fall almost to the knees. Mine don't even make it to mid-thigh (and I'm weird, but not that weird). Make sure, when you study anatomy, that you make notes about proportions and when you draw, mentally lay out the different parts to make sure they're correct (even prior to fleshing them out).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the comment.
    I see what you mean, when I drew this I had as a rule that the hands go almost to the knee, but I guess that goes for extended hands.

And for the number of heads, I've heard six, seven and eight heads for the entire body. Wich is right? Because when i measure his head and multiply it eight or seven times, it's much longer than he is in this drawing. And as I see it his body is pretty much the right length in proportion to his head. I could push it a little longer, but as long as eight heads, that would just look weird.

...I think...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone one is different. Usually tall ppl are more heads high than short ones. Kids can be 4 heads tall. Someone 5 foot tall might be six heads tall, someone more than 6 foot tall can be 7 to 8 heads tall.

Stylised fashion models can be up to 10 heads tall (I have a degree in fashion design and I've seen it done, I'd get bad rates because my models were ONLY 8 heads tall)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I would recommend that you read figure drawing for all its worth.

Among alot of other things he discuss in that book are the different kinds of proportions, from the academic, to the ideal to the heroic. You'll learn a lot!

If you can, attend to life drawing sessions. if those are unavaiable, draw a lot from reference. The only way to get better is to practice a lot. Blood, sweat and tears buddy!

Keep drawing, and keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your responses. It seems that when I look at drawings that are eight heads tall, it all seems so right, bur when I try to do it myself, it doesn't work. Practice it is. I'll read that book, Andrew Loomis's drawings are great! And I finally got myself a REAL sketchbook, instead of always drawing on papers I got in history class!

Until later, here's a girl. I didn't aim for the right proportions on this one though.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.