Sketchbook: Chan Tien Yee

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Chan Tien Yee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chan Tien Yee

Chan Tien Yee

Hi, this is my first post. My scanner has issues with Windows XP; this was with my camcorder. I like Michael Mentler's and Richard Doble's drawings a lot!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to the forums. you got a nice style going. post more work please.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, Cool style.. You got more?

Last edited by octavian; May 29th, 2005 at 03:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys! I feel really inhibited in posting images, because I have never really drawn a LOT. I go months without drawing, and rarely draw every single day. I don't know anatomy, but Michael Mentler has inspired me to start learning. My scanner isn't working, so that was the most recent drawing I have on my computer. These are all older, from like 2 and 3 years ago. Most of my drawings are really horrible, especially as far as my ambiguous and nonsensical anatomy is concerned ;p
    I was told about ConceptArt by my friend Trevorr Hibbs, a few years ago. I don't know if he posts anymore, but he used to post self portraits mostly (inspired by Android?). Along the same lines, when he showed me this site and Android's self portraits I took it upon myself to draw a self portrait every day for a year. I lasted a month and the last two drawings here are a couple from that project.
    Thank you again for the kind words

Chan Tien Yee
    Acrylic (bad camcorder still again -- this one is 2x1.5 feet, I think?)
    Chan Tien Yee
    Acrylic and ink.
    Chan Tien Yee
    Woodless pencil.
    Chan Tien Yee
    Chan Tien Yee
    Woodless pencil and thick, red mechanical pencil.
    Chan Tien Yee
    Ink and marker.
    Chan Tien Yee
    Liner and ink.
    Chan Tien Yee
    Liner and marker.
    Chan Tien Yee
    Liners and mechanical pencil.
    Chan Tien Yee
    Liners.

Last edited by chantienyee; May 29th, 2005 at 07:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a couple drawings that I drew for friends. I still don't have a working scanner, but it doesn't matter because I haven't drawn for years anyway. I am trying to start again and learn how to draw properly, but the internet is so distracting. Drawing right now, but have little motivation in general

Chan Tien Yee

Chan Tien Yee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have to start drawing again! You've got skills!
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really interesting style. I'd like to see some more finished pieces - I bet they're spectacular. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, cool style you´ve got going!
    i´d love to see some more color works!
    keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much guys
    I did start drawing again, and I have been for the past week. I actually started teaching myself how to watercolour, so colour is in the future! I really love watercolour stuff and it's making me re-read David Mack's Kabuki -- so great.

I'm still trying to figure out my scanner (I think I will make a post about it...) -- I just reformatted in hopes that it would work, but no such luck yet. It used to work intermittently before I tried to install some drivers that made it not work altogether...

Anyway, I made a video last year of a drawing I did, and wanted to post it since I don't have much else available on my computer. It's 5.7 megs, and 1:22 minutes. I'd love feedback
    http://chan.hackrifice.com/050226-drawing.wmv

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff. I'd like to see more body studies interpreted into your style.

Haha! no tips for you, though. The drawing in that vid looks sweet. I personally like the black and white, if you wanted to though, you could probably make a copy and go crazy with tryin to render it in full value with inkwash.

Drawin is serious business.
    Sketchbook?! How do you mean?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your style, it's so free, so much movement. The way you use colour is really interesting too. I want to see more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello.
    I haven't posted in forever. Mostly because I hadn't been drawing in forever. I find it very difficult and frustrating to stick to it and practice practice practice. I know that's what it takes to get better. I've always wanted drawing to be my primary hobby (and hopefully my career one day), but I feel that I have to force myself to make it so.
    Anyway, This year I made the New Years resolution to draw every single day, and to this day I have stuck to it! (The only resolution I have ever kept!) I feel so good about myself, and I have definitely learned a lot, but I find myself increasingly putting off my daily drawings and just catching up on a weekend and kind of passing off lame sketches as a drawing for a day I missed.
    I feel like I have learned some really basic anatomy, and not much else. Some general proportions of the body and some musculature. Here are some drawings from this year. I would really, really appreciate some constructive criticism. Particularly I want to know what I should be doing to LEARN anatomy -- I feel that there must be tricks that I am missing out on. I draw and draw, but don't feel that I retain much knowledge from drawing from photos, either drawing quickly, or detailed. The knowledge that I HAVE retained is from mostly drawing from my head and maybe going over after and correcting some musculature with anatomy books... I like to focus on certain body parts, like, at one point I was drawing only people from behind, and I was trying to concentrate on legs... I have a whole bunch of problem areas.

To sum up, please give me criticism on my drawings, and suggestions for how I can learn most efficiently and quickly.

Chan Tien Yee
    This is just some guy from a magazine.

Chan Tien Yee
    Me.

Chan Tien Yee
    Me again, with a marker.

Chan Tien Yee
    I think this was, like, my second, or third drawing of the year, after mking my New Years resolution (to draw every day). There's, like, a wrestler guy, and a knight, and a manly-looking girl without a shirt, and some really dramatic guy posing...

Chan Tien Yee
    There's me again, and on the far right is Lyrisius, this hero guy with a spear that I am going to eventually draw a comic about.

Chan Tien Yee
    A tonal drawing with pencil -- like, my first, after Mike suggested it.

Chan Tien Yee
    Another of this girl I liked in highschool.

Chan Tien Yee
    Another of this Japanese girl from highschool -- though it doesn't look like her.

Chan Tien Yee
    More highschool girls and some guy in really tight clothes.

Chan Tien Yee
    Some more highschool people, and some poses from my head that I was happy with -- the first ones, I think

Chan Tien Yee
    Lyrisius, and my dark elf character from Oblivion. And in the bottom left you can see Lyrisius' spear going through some guy's throat.

Chan Tien Yee
    Me, and some crappy faces above.

Chan Tien Yee
    Tonal self portrait in pencil.

Chan Tien Yee
    This is one of my favourite drawings that I've done!! It was all from my head (I'm really REALLY bad at faces!) and I was so happy that it looked like the same guy from a different angle!! This was my take on Mace Windu, 'cause he's so badass. Oh yeah, and there's a crocodile thingy that I drew with Marita at the bottom...like I think she drew, but with my hand, or something?

Chan Tien Yee
    More poses from my head -- I like the bottom one.

Chan Tien Yee
    Mobius! It's a really blurry picture... This was from my head -- I was happy that it looks so accurate for the movement..

Chan Tien Yee
    I like the guy's head on the bottom. That was like the first time I tried to draw a face at that angle, from my head, I think..

Chan Tien Yee
    I like this top one, but contrary to what Marita says, his hands aren't disappearing into his ass..

Chan Tien Yee
    I like the top one again. The bottom was supposed to be Wolverine. I don't draw hair... yet, I guess.

Chan Tien Yee
    I kinda liked the muscles on the top one, but then I messed it all up, and he looks too elongated and stuff... Oh well.

Chan Tien Yee
    The wyrm from my Lyrisius story -- that's Lyrisius on the right; so, like, the dragon is big.

Chan Tien Yee
    Lyrisius, like, meditating...I really don't like this one, but I did as I was drawing it.

Chan Tien Yee
    I like the bottom pose, but his hands are in funky, contorted positions.. Well, the bottom one is. I think I like his left hand.

Chan Tien Yee
    This is Fran from Final Fantasy XII. And on the right I tried to draw a horse without a reference, and I don't think I've ever drawn a horse before... It looks more like a donkey?

Chan Tien Yee
    Another elongated person. There are a bunch of places on the body where I have NO idea what's going on...like hips...it's kinda really.. yeah. I'm trying to work on shoulder blades and legs (and thigh connecting to pelvis) right now... it's fun to have a theme. For a while I was drawing people from behind, 'cause that's way harder.

Chan Tien Yee
    These were yesterdays...I liked the top one, but there are so many messed up parts...you can really tell I have no idea how to draw legs here. And my shading is pretty lame, but it felt good to give it a blind stab.

Chan Tien Yee
    Some faces from my teeny sketchbook (not from my head)..

Chan Tien Yee
    Some guy in, a robe thingy..

Chan Tien Yee
    Some monster. I wanted to draw those, like, minotaur/faun legs...but couldn't figure out how they work.

Chan Tien Yee
    One of my brothers -- this one is in my big sketchbook.

Chan Tien Yee
    My mom.

Chan Tien Yee
    Some heads -- I like the third from the left, on the top, in ink. Oh, these were from a 3D model reference.

Chan Tien Yee
    More from the same ref. I like the topmost teeny one. Oh, these I did in pen without pencilling first, which is tough for me, but super fun. I tried out an Ashley Wood-esque style, and that made me feel awesome. Marita really likes the big one with the pencil overtop.

Chan Tien Yee
    From the same ref. My Ashley Wood-esque lines...

Chan Tien Yee
    These were done without pencil -- super tough! I was so happy with them. But from a reference again.. I really like that one spot, on the one with pencil overtop, that one highlight in the crinkle of the hip.

Chan Tien Yee
    That pose... from, like, a Michaelangelo? Or Raphael?... I dunno.. it was from that 3D program again. Oh yeah, just in pen again...it looks pretty wonky. But it looks kinda cool 'cause it's a pretty big drawing.

Chan Tien Yee
    This was going to be Ashe from FFXII, and I used that program a bit to help me with the pose... I never finished it.

Chan Tien Yee
    Me. I did pencil first...and this was my lame attempt at trying ink wash...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've started drawing a lot more, and I'm not forcing myself to do stuff that I'm not ready for. So I'm a lot more loose, and I'm going to concentrate on figure studies, instead of trying to draw from my head before I know what I'm doing... ha. Here are a few drawings that I took photos of. I also started drawing with just a Sharpie to get away from the forgiveness of pencil and eraser. I think I will go even looser and just do some quick timed sketches. I don't really have a great source of reference photos, though. Does anybody know of any good websites for models? Mostly male, 'cause finding pictures of naked girls on the internet isn't that hard... some awesome poses would be perfect, though. I just looked up some male model sites, and they're all boring poses mostly.

Also, any tips on my drawings, or suggestions for what to work on would be great. Of course my goal is to eventually be good enough at drawing the figure to be able to draw comics, and not have to completely rely on references. I want to be able to draw awesomeness from my imagination.

Chan Tien Yee

Chan Tien Yee

Chan Tien Yee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you´re gooooooooooooooooood!!!!

awesome!!!

artwork
    nothing special....sadly....but I hope someday^^

when you want to mentor someone, you may want to come here
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=406

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.